BajaNomad

Mama Espinosas demise?

Sharksbaja - 2-26-2005 at 02:55 PM

What the hell happened here??? I used to eat here everytime going south as long ago as 1969. Well, i stopped in recently and was shocked at the lack of customer interest and quality of food therein. As I am a seafood snob(and own a seafood rest.) I am probably their worst type of diner. Although the meal was way overpriced and not very good Iam used to seeing that mo & mo. I probably would not even make this post had the manager or whoever she was not had taken advantage of me. When going to pay I did not have time to get my dollars exchanged. So when I gave her the cash she shorted me on the change. This is normal and did not surprise me but she just grinned when I reminded her of the exchange rate. To add insult to injury when I asked her to make change for a five so I could leave a moderate tip she shorted me again. She laughed at me when I questioned her. WOW! Are they now Prima Donnas and think they deserve more than the regular share or are they just plain stupid...... oh, and it was lunch time and I was the only client.
I hope I was there on an off day and that this is not usual.

[Edited on 11-15-2006 by Sharksbaja]

too bad that an end of an era is happening

BajaVida - 2-26-2005 at 03:11 PM

great while it lasted

yankeeirishman - 2-26-2005 at 04:35 PM

Now do what I do....sent them a copy of your posting! I did to a motel operater down there recently, in his email. He wasnt happy to say the least, but I am sure he'll think twice next time before buring the bridge with a future client(s).

The last time I ate at Mama Espinoza's

Ken Bondy - 2-26-2005 at 05:21 PM

(10/04) we had lobster burritos which I thought were pretty good. The most memorable thing about the place, however, was an extraordinarily beautiful young woman who was waiting tables. Never seen her there before, could she be family?
++Ken++

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by Ken Bondy]

[Edited on 2-27-2005 by Ken Bondy]

We ate there just a couple of weeks ago...

Mexray - 2-26-2005 at 06:39 PM

...and you're right, they are over priced IMHO...we had the crab cakes, and they were good, but with the rather drab trimmings, not outstanding. Next day had breakfast, and it was nothing special, and again, overpriced IMHO.

Mama's daughter runs the place these days. It's a pleasant enough place, but I agree, probably trying to exist on past performance.

Bruce R Leech - 2-26-2005 at 09:06 PM

Give me a Pastrami sandwich any day.

The Sculpin - 2-26-2005 at 09:33 PM

OK Grover.....you have piqued my interest...for I used to work at the El Pescador in Del Mar. So how do you know "neck"....and moon and matuba? JR? or do you know Mikey, who is now at Pellys in Carlsbad? Did you know Ptak @ Chesapeake? He had a great job flying into all the fishing camps in baja to make deals with the co-ops. Wow..I wonder if I ever sold you fish or vice-versa? I used to go on the pre-dawn runs with Kevin to scout all the fish in SD. Man, those were the days....:bounce:

woody with a view - 2-27-2005 at 10:55 AM

took my son thru el rosario for the first time last may and we stopped at mama's. he had his first baja fish tacos and was in heaven. it was sorta pricey, but hey, to watch your kid cradle and savor every bite of his tacos was worth every peso.

and the guy in his van with all the stickers on hwy1 just north? of G.N. slings a pretty decent 8 peso tamale, too! junior was licking his lips in anticipation all the way from loreto on the return trip!!!

Sharksbaja - 2-27-2005 at 12:40 PM

To be honest this wasnt my only visit to Mamas recently. Last Oct. my wifey ran in and got two quesadilla langostas to go and they were pretty good. It really was mainly about the way I was tricked out of my little exchange difference. Principal. I probably came off as a Baja Novice and not a Baja Nomad.

woody with a view - 2-27-2005 at 12:52 PM

they know they have a "corner" on the market and, unfortunately, probably don't care if they peeed you off. there will always be more travelers coming down.

pangueros on the coast have a sister who owns a restaraunt (forgot the name, i think it is a girl's name, tho) that is next to the park and police station that could use some gringo traffic.:)

JESSE - 2-27-2005 at 12:58 PM

Where is this Mama Espinoza?s?

Sharksbaja - 2-27-2005 at 01:11 PM

Heading North its next to Baja Cactus Hotel at the sharp left turn at the north end of town.

woody with a view - 2-27-2005 at 01:21 PM

hence the "corner" on the market....:lol::lol::lol:

JESSE - 2-27-2005 at 01:31 PM

I think i have eaten there before, but can?t remember the food.

I prefer the food of Mama Cruz and Laura

bajapablo - 2-27-2005 at 01:44 PM

at Gypsy's

Sharksbaja - 2-27-2005 at 01:55 PM

Donde esta?

I know what you mean about the waitress.

capn.sharky - 2-27-2005 at 03:02 PM

I think shes been working there for quite a few years now. She may be the grandaughter. Yes, I have notice that the food is not as good as it used to be. I thought it was just my old age and old tastebuds. Nothing seems quite a good anymore---nor works as well as it one did. Ah, the golden years---what a farce.

Hey Capn. Sharky

Sharksbaja - 2-27-2005 at 04:01 PM

I know how to wake up old taste buds! It isn't you amigo it's just that Mexico is in the same rut as U.S. It seems that the standard is much the same although good food is getting harder to find. Reason: if a restaurant survives it's first 3 yrs it's because they possess something special. Over 90% fail in this period. As time goes on and chefs change and attention and service change, the owners quietly let someone else run or manage the place. So you get the circuitious cook, who already knows how to make Snapper Vera Cruz(Right!) he proceeds to do it his way because the great chef who started the recipe is long gone. Get the picture. What I do is make a cook. Starting with dishwashing.... in three years you will master of the recipe. If u hire a trained chef, u take your chances and it will cost u in more ways than one. So now everyone frys the food , presents it with a
pathetic salad and serves it up with stewed carrots and bad attitude. Not here at Sharks. The Oregon Coast is a great place for Nomads to visit when its scorching in BC (no not British Columbia, they dont tip) We will show you an alternative to all the rest......really!
http://sharksseafood.com

sorry, but it is THAT big!:wow:

sharks

Pompano - 2-27-2005 at 04:26 PM

That looks about as good as the red snapper we are having tonight here in Coyote Bay. Caught fresh about 3 hours ago. Will post a photo of the meal later.

About Mama's...I first ate there with some other very grimy and dusty folks in the late 60's and first signed the guest book in 1973, then signing at least 2 twice every year since. Lately, I have gone just for the nostaglia, not the food (pass the Pepto) or the service. We have either a cup of coffee or a beer or two..depending on the time of day, looking through for names of friends long gone. To eat in town, we head down the street to a great torta and taco stand...Cool Pacifico in hand & standing at a taco stand or eating at the Jesus Maria van with those killer burritos is my kind of Baja Road Fare. Come on, admit it, you know you would rather be fine-tuning your taco stand eating technique...Rest in Peace, Mama's.

Now if you want another "Mama's" try Mama's Royal, run by friend Spencer, son Steve and daughter-in-law Alma...in Cabo...Great food, great people and about the only thing I like about that un-Baja city.

If you can hold your appetite long enough to eat at Saul's La Palapa just south of Mulege or his El Candil downtown...you will thank yourself. He's an artist.

Embarrassing fish fillets

Sharksbaja - 2-27-2005 at 07:31 PM

I think Ive signed that book so many years ago. I need to work on my taco stand etiquette. There are just so many and I can never be exactly sure which one is the next one. But I certainly hold them a click up on the ability to keep the product the same day after day. I have eaten at the La Palapa at least a dozen times in the past year but those guys need to redo the readerboard. At least put the same item on in a different order. That looks more like two halves of a thick Halibut to me. Please Pompano You are embarrassing our poor helpless non-internet little species with your humongous fillets.:(:(:(:(:(:(

Hey! That doesn't look like Mamas'!

Sharksbaja - 2-27-2005 at 09:21 PM

Sharksbaja - 2-28-2005 at 12:29 AM

I think I have a BI-Mart card, will that work??:biggrin: Looks pretty friendly.

David K - 2-28-2005 at 09:29 AM

Well, maybe it's all in the timing... Here was my experience at Mama Espinoza's last Thanksgiving: GREAT! The lobster was fresh and delicious. The prices are higher than typical (about the same as U.S. restaurants) because it is a tourist destination. We had breakfast each morning, as well.

That is Antonio (Baja Cactus Motel & Pemex) and Tony (Diamante Del Mar Golf Resort) with me.

I dont think it's been good or reasonable....

Hook - 2-28-2005 at 10:54 AM

....for AT LEAST 10 years.

Then, there's the slow service......probably heightened by the fact that you are usually stopping there while passing thru and you really need to get going. But 30 minutes for burritos with no one else in the place is ridiculous.

I kept giving them chances in the 90s, but it always seemed to be the same. The last time I was there (about 4 years ago) the "famous" lobster burrito plate was 13.00 US. I'd say there was about a tablespoon of lobster in each one.

Plenty of that white sauce, though....

bajablue - 2-28-2005 at 11:00 AM

some friends and I had the same kind of experience at Mama's last month as well with the manager. All though the food was good, but pricey and the service was great (we had the pretty girl as well, but my friend was trying to hit on her, but she said she had a boy friend, who apparently is an American living in town) when I went to pay the bill, the manager didn't convert the dollar to peso. Then I wanted some change to leave a tip and she said she didn't have any, so we ended up leaving a $20 on a $35 bill.. All though we didn't mind leaving it for the pretty nice girl, I just hope it got to her...

sounds familiar

Sharksbaja - 2-28-2005 at 01:10 PM

oh no.... the manager/cashier must have had a revelation one day and found a very easy way to pad the bill when dealing with dollar armed gringos. And she knows better than to mess with the infamous David K. and the guy next door...........

Big Bug

Sharksbaja - 2-28-2005 at 02:49 PM

I captured one o rhose bigassed bugs, a paltry 30 pounder plus many others off Palos Verdes in the 70s-80s. That sucker actually almost drown me as when I gave it a bear hug to surface with it it wrapped its legs around me and started whipping its tail. I had deep scratches thru my farmer johns....... ah, the good ol days

bajalera - 2-28-2005 at 05:33 PM

What I recall about the good old Carretera Transpeninsular days was not that Espinoza's provided anything in the way of gourmet meals, but that it offered food you didn't have to cook yourself. By the time you reached Rosario, even beans and tortillas seemed like gourmet fare. In addition, Espinoza's sold gasoline--and more important than anything else, there was this nice lady who spoke good English.

bajalera

Mexitron - 2-28-2005 at 06:54 PM

Sharksbaja--man does that look good! My favorite cioppino was at Port San Luis(Avila Beach)....that was years ago though. My parents live in Bandon, OR....I'll let them know about your place whenever they head north.

Restaurants for the gringos

jrbaja - 2-28-2005 at 07:09 PM

Its the only name they can remember and since they have heard the name before, they think they are less likely to get some weird disease there.:lol::lol::lol:
None of the other places charge like that and they stay pretty busy because they have good food, not because they have some well known name.
This is what has happened to Penasco, Los Barriles and Cabo San Lucas. Isnt it nice? Pretty soon, the neuter and spade brigade will be taking over the town.:lol:

Please, please!

Sharksbaja - 2-28-2005 at 07:23 PM

Don't be serious. I grew up watching So.Cal get gobbled up along the coast. They even condemmed my friends house along with many others to make room for progress(condos) And then they tried in our neighborhood(Marineland area) so we took up arms(actually fingers) and were able to stave the corporate bastards off for many years but alas at last look.... thats right, golf courses and condos(gag) Thats why we moved to Oregon. If greedy capitalist corporate America comes to your small Mexican town is there anything we/they can do??

We/ They

jrbaja - 2-28-2005 at 07:34 PM

are already doing it.
And, I have the same projects started elsewhere. And, it seems to be working pretty well.
It wont stop the development but it provides work for the people rather than selling their property and Mexico seems to like what I am doing as they have ideas of competing in Bamboo production.
What a concept eh?
When yer in the area, you may want to see whats up with the Baja Bamboo Park.
Do you bamboo?:?:

My wife likes anything bamboo

Sharksbaja - 2-28-2005 at 07:49 PM

Like our floor, chairs, curtain rods, bongs oops, I meant tongs etc. etc.
I will check it out next time we have to go to La Paz, which seems like a prerequisite to a lot of visits.

TMW - 3-1-2005 at 08:06 AM

Well I must be in the minority. We've stop at Mama's place for lunch or breakfast for the past 5 years and have had excellent service and excellent food. It is more pricey than other resturants, but lobster does that. I love their Lobster omelet. We've never had a problem with dollars or pasos.

Juan del Rio - 3-1-2005 at 09:22 AM

I believe that Baja still starts at the sharp left turn right past Mama Espinoza's place. To me, Mama Espinoza's is now more a symbol of "Baja Remembered" than a place to stop and eat anymore...

Well said Juan

bajaloco - 3-1-2005 at 09:40 AM

We always stop at Mama's to stretch our legs, have a soda and just visit. The lobster burritos are now more like mayonaise-celery burritos, and every year it seems to get worse. I always look forward to making that left turn, it is where baja norte begins..

I can understand

jrbaja - 3-1-2005 at 10:41 AM

children and surfers renaming the beaches, but really folks, Baja Norte starts at the u.s., Mexico border whether you like that part of Baja or not.
Chances are that if you actually spent some time getting to know the cities north of El Rosario, you would realize that you aren't in the states anymore.
But then, what would happen if you ever made it to Los Barriles or Los Cabos where you really can't tell the difference between Newport Beach and Mexico.

[Edited on 3/1/2005 by jrbaja]

Sharksbaja - 3-1-2005 at 03:54 PM

:saint::mad::saint::mad::saint::mad::saint:

Me No - 3-1-2005 at 06:53 PM

It has been a poor lobster season and that could explain the skimpy burritos. I never had an interest to stop into Mama's. Now that I know there is a pretty girl there, I will have to pay her a visit. Thanks.

I agree sharks. Get over it Bob. If you got a hard on for JR take it up with him, face to face. My money is on JR.:lol:

jrbajas' fan

Sharksbaja - 3-2-2005 at 11:56 AM

jrbaja wrote:
Quote:

So, she has found something to do by trying to make me look bad on the internet

hey bob....we can make our own selves look bad on the internet, thanks
now back to the program
:P:

Funny advice....

azusa_bob - 3-2-2005 at 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Me No
I agree sharks. Get over it Bob. If you got a hard on for JR take it up with him, face to face. My money is on JR.:lol:
coming from you, Me No! Your feuds on this board have been legendary! My dinero is on your nemisis', particullary the female ones! They seem to have bettered you verbally, at least!! :lol::lol::moon::moon:

Braulio - 3-2-2005 at 07:16 PM

Sharks & Meno - if you guys think that JR is genuine (ie anything other than a freaking hypocrite) then you guys need to get real yourselves. Or better yet - buy yourselves a couple of caguamas and sit back and traquilense muchachos.

And if I were to bet - my money'd go on Azusa Beto(a) - he/she seeems to have more time - (as hard as that might be to believe - I mean with JR's Baja bamboozle projects and all that).

Real genuine posts

Sharksbaja - 3-2-2005 at 07:29 PM

at least the majority of his (genuine)posts relate to Baja. I just dont like Azuza_ Bobs way of entering in on my thread to get at JR, whoever he is.....

Braulio - 3-2-2005 at 07:40 PM

I guess we just disagree Sharks - and I really don't have anything to disagree with about your posts man - but JR's posts aren't about Baja - or any expertise he has on BC - his posts are about his own ego - as if we should all be interested in seeing BC through his eyes.

Personally I'm not.

Again - I have no problem with you sharks. Just a matter of perspective I guess.

More Coom bye ya

Sharksbaja - 3-2-2005 at 08:13 PM

This is just great ... I'd prefer to stay on the sidelines if possible. I know, I'll drag Pompano into this.....
Pompano said:

Quote:

Please...please, can't we just all get along and love one another?...who would like to sing Coom-bye-yah?

and then there was peace.......... nah!

PacO - 3-2-2005 at 08:17 PM

I'm w/you on that Braulio. Either of those two can completely foul up a post. Although one of them has a edge in the ego dept.
As far as M E's goes, it's marginal and greasy at best as far as I'm concerned. We like the atmosphere, though. It's rare that we stop there anymore although I promised her that next time we would since I've been overriding that decision for awhile. She seems to have great dialogue w/the folks there.

So who fouled up this post??

Sharksbaja - 3-2-2005 at 08:21 PM

Back to Mama's topic

Cyndarouh - 3-3-2005 at 08:10 AM

My Husband and I ate there on Thurs the 24th. Great service no over charge but we had pesos's The food well, it was okay nothing near what people have said on this board. Glad we shared a dinner as I was not to hungry. I also found the price to be a bit high, but look where they are and getting food down there. Everyone was very friendly.

Bob H - 3-3-2005 at 09:52 AM

We like to eat at the little white school bus place just to the south and around the corner! Great food and prices. More of a local atmosphere for sure.
Bob H:yes:

KurtG - 3-3-2005 at 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bob H
We like to eat at the little white school bus place just to the south and around the corner! Great food and prices. More of a local atmosphere for sure.
Bob H:yes:

A favorite of mine also, great tortas and cheap!

bajablue - 3-3-2005 at 11:20 AM

school bus is great! Really nice lady working there and she will make you anything you want. It's also nice to be able to watch the locals and other people driving by..

Back to Mama's topic

Sharksbaja - 3-3-2005 at 12:47 PM

Thank you Cyndarouh. It seems a mixed bag on Mamas'. I didn't realize the power of these boards and how they affect us in real time.(My sons been telling me this for years). All the chatter means many are looking. That can and probably does make a big difference in the number of clients a business or ? may see. That can be very good or very bad depending how the post and reputation reflect them.
It is also very difficult to please all the people all the time. I know this from 10 years in the biz. It seems that Mamas just need a little refocusing on PR. Its like my wife once said when I was doing business with a client. "Honey, you never know who this person may be. Maybe Jesus or ?" Point being....... we should and all want be treated as special when in sus casa. Or, you shouldn't be in the hospitality biz to begin with. Food is the reason people go to a restaurant but we all know how important atmosphere is. Mamas' has ambiance and I've had some pretty good food there. Just need help in the exchange dept. and really, watch those prices.

De Nada

Cyndarouh - 3-3-2005 at 08:42 PM

Sharksbaja, I know good food I cook and love to eat. Ask JR I have fixed a few things while down his way. I did traveled with Dianna Kennady in Mex. a few time's just learning how to cook the local dishes so fun and got to eat sooooo good. Hugs to you all Cynda

[Edited on 3-4-2005 by Cyndarouh]

mamas

comitan - 3-3-2005 at 09:00 PM

I hope you all realize mamas is basically next door to antionos motel, he is very active on this net, I would consider the fact that there might be changes in the near future so wouldn't write mamas off.

Sharksbaja - 3-3-2005 at 09:54 PM

SHE OBVIOUSLY HAS A NICHE AND LONGEVITY and should be proud of it. This is called constructive criticism. Not damnnation.

azusa_bob - 3-4-2005 at 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Sharksbaja
SHE OBVIOUSLY HAS A NICHE AND LONGEVITY and should be proud of it. This is called constructive criticism. Not damnnation.
Then why did you title the thread "Mama Espinozas demise"??

sheesh, it's like school here

Sharksbaja - 3-4-2005 at 02:35 PM

"Mama Espinozas demise?" can't you see that question mark? But, thanx for being so attentive. . hey JR, now what???:lol:

mama's

Martyman - 3-4-2005 at 03:45 PM

We stopped last week for desayuno. My friend grabbed a bottle of habanera hot sauce off another table for us to use. The senora grabbed it off our table and gave us a look like we were going to steal it. No more mama's for me.
Martyman

bajalera - 3-4-2005 at 07:21 PM

Speaking of Antonio's hotel next door, is that old gas pump still there?

bajalera

David K - 3-4-2005 at 07:35 PM

Lera, it was there over New Year's and is part of the decore at Baja Cactus. Antonio's family, not Mama Espinoza had the first gas pump in El Rosario. Mama's English ability and dynamic marketing is what made her so famous with the Norte Amricano travelers.

Elite Nomad

capn.sharky - 3-4-2005 at 07:47 PM

Now, David---you getting a little carried away?
Elite Nomad is a bit much---or don't you think so. When old Pompano or whoever it was that wanted to be a old nomad sees this he is really going to get his knickers bunched up. I still liked Lord of the Nomads.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Packoderm - 3-5-2005 at 06:32 PM

I'll delete before I'm elite.:lol:

On our last trip this past New Year's, my wife really wanted to try Mama's - it was my first time as well. We shared the lobster burrito meal. It tasted good but seemed more like an appetizer. On the way back, we stopped there again. I tried the bistek ranchero. It was actually a soup made with cut up beef. It cost $6.00 U.S., and although it was delicious, it was all I could do to finish it because there was so much. I will definitely try it again. Also, it was fun to visit an institution such as Mama Espinozas.

Me No - 3-5-2005 at 06:43 PM

Here's another vote for the white bus. Never had anything bad there, everything is made fresh, and the lady is just so nice. The locals also eat there. When is the last time anyone saw a local in Mama's?:)

bajalera - 3-5-2005 at 08:22 PM

The only locals I ever saw there were some really large fossil trilobites stacked by the door.

bajalera

The funny thing about the well known gringo places

jrbaja - 3-6-2005 at 11:02 AM

down here is that, none of the locals can , or want to eat at them. Go figure! :lol:

Packoderm - 3-6-2005 at 12:08 PM

Here in California, we have restaurants, and entire city districts for that matter, that cater to tourist, and hardly no locals frequent them. Other than maybe being a bit pricey, there is really nothing wrong with the places, but they are geared towards the tourist. It's no big deal really. If you live in Midtown Sacramento, and you have your thumb on the pulse of the action, you can find some pretty good places to eat. However, if you are not able to invest yourself regularly on the local scene, sometimes it is better to play it safe. I am not the kind of person to play things save in this regard. It took me probably 10 trips past El Rosario before I stopped at Mama Espenozas. I typically buy my food orders one taco or torta at a time at street stalls or small places, but that's just me.

The one good thing about all this is that here in California is that we can make ourselves feel superior to the tourists, the Japanese for example, who otherwise probably live more virtuous and productive lives than most Central Valley and SF bay area residents.

Sharksbaja - 3-6-2005 at 02:27 PM

try being a seafood restaurant in a town full of self-proclaimed seafood experts(fishermen). Thank god we have rum.....

David K - 3-6-2005 at 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by capn.sharky
Now, David---you getting a little carried away?
Elite Nomad is a bit much---or don't you think so. When old Pompano or whoever it was that wanted to be a old nomad sees this he is really going to get his knickers bunched up. I still liked Lord of the Nomads.:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

I have nothing to do with the Nomad level assignment names... Here is the way it works (from the FAQ section):

Based on the number of posts you have, you are assigned to a rank. Each rank has its own status and its own amount of stars. Below are the user rank settings for this board:

Newbie 1

Junior Nomad 5

Nomad 100

Senior Nomad 500

Super Nomad 1000

Ultra Nomad 1500

Elite Nomad 2500

Select Nomad 5000

JR and I are the only Elite Nomads at the moment.

That's good pac

jrbaja - 3-7-2005 at 10:05 AM

as long as you are able to make yourselves feel superior to someone, then you are doing just great:lol::lol::lol:

Jr and David

capn.sharky - 3-7-2005 at 12:46 PM

Okay I stand corrected. But, you two are elitests. I still like King Nomad. Over 2500 postings, huh? Jeez, do you guys work too?:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

we need a mas chingon nomad designation

BajaVida - 3-7-2005 at 05:32 PM

I volunteer for that moniker--ask thebajarunner, he will agree or else

:cool:

BV = EC

thebajarunner - 3-7-2005 at 06:08 PM

Around here we call Baja Vida "El Commandante"
(although he has also been referred to as Esteemed Commander/ El Chiefo, etc.)
If he wants to be the 'mas chingon' then so be it. Now I just have to wait for my wife to come home and translate that for me. (Usually when she translates BV/EC/mc it ends up getting me in a lot of trouble.)

Baja Arriba!!

Sub-par Nomads

Sharksbaja - 3-7-2005 at 06:33 PM

Wait just a minute here. I've been picking on poor old Bob for messing up my posts. How did we get from restaurant critique to Nomad Elite.

I guess I answered my own question. Oh well, it does keep the thread alive for us Sub-par Nomads. :lol::lol::lol: