BajaNomad

Two guys living the Dream!

BajaBlanca - 1-22-2018 at 04:11 PM

Do you all remember months ago when I posted a request for host families for two of the scholarship students? Well, everyone came through and these kids are living the dream!

It all started on January 3rd with a bit of stress! The ride the boys had from Ensenada to the border OVERSLEPT. One of the uncles jumped in and the boys, who were supposed to arrive at 9 am were very late. Yours truly was waiting for them at the Jack in the Box....and I had already bought the train ticket for Ramiro to go to Fresno to stay with the amazing Car, his first host family! Train was due to leave downtown San Diego at 12:05. Never having traveled before, Ramiro had packed a HUGE suitcase (I had already brought the suitcases north when we came for xmas) which I had repacked into a smaller suitcase of mine so that he would not have to lug it around nor check it in on Amtrack. Turns out, this simple act was to save the day!

The boys crossed with uncle at 11:30 , I told them to jump into my car and the Brazilian race car driver in me raced from the border in San Ysidro to the downtown San Diego train depot. I dropped the 2 boys off right in front with the instructions for Alen to help Ramiro get on the first train that they saw! This was exactly 12:04 and the train left at 12:05 with my heart racing but Ramiro on it!

Here are some photos of his amazing journey so far!

CHINA PEAK and his first glimpse of snow!

rsz_china_peak_mtn_resort.jpg - 65kB

YOSEMITE and his first ever waterfall

Yosemite Ramiro.jpg - 124kB

One week and then he went to wine country with Dave and Patty who introduced him to Pescatore winery! They took him to Big Bear and introduced him to the wonderful hot tub! Spoiled rotten!

He is now in his third home and yesterday he went to San Francisco for the first time. This shot was taken from Alcatraz.

Golden Gate Bridge.jpg - 46kB

His English has improved dramatically! Both boys have are journaling the trip both in English and Spanish. Ramiro loves everything about the States so far....what a lucky kid and thanks to all who made this happen!

So now we have the second kid, Alen, who spent the first 10 days in Claremont with Mike, a friend of aguachico. Great guy, he took Alen under his wing and introduced him to hamburgers and milkshakes and American football!

Here we are in front of Mike's

rsz_mike_blanca_alen.jpg - 116kB

These first 10 days were spent taking Alen all around San Diego...we did seaport village, balboa park and the natural history museum, the navy ship Midway, Sunset Cliffs, the Himalayan restaurant for him to try Indian food, The hotel Del in Coronado and more. Every day was an adventure and we walked many miles!

One of my sister's had an exchange student from Switzerland, so he made a Swiss friend as well. We are hoping that Florian will come and visit with other friends and see Baja.

Seaport Village

rsz_alen_seaport_village.jpg - 107kB

The huge Bluefin intake at the harbor

rsz_blanca_bluefin_seaport_village.jpg - 115kB

Florian and Alen when I took them to Liberty Station, great experience for both since they HAD to communicate in English. Alen's English is really good now too. He is now with his second family and they are really delving into Americana with him - he is going to farmers markets and parties for kids and washing dishes, gardening, a real family member.

When I asked him what his first impressions were he said: what infrastructure! (he is studying engineering) and the supermarkets are amazing.

rsz_alen_and_florian.jpg - 124kB

My husband used to work at Solar Turbines (26 years) so one of his buddies who is still working took Alen on a 3 hour tour of the facilities! Now Alen would like to work there (my dream for sure).

Ernesto and Alen san diego.jpg - 22kB

I am back in La Bocana and so happy for these two lucky kids. It was soooooooooooooo much work to coordinate all the details but now that I see them thriving, learning about our culture and speaking English.....it has been worth every minute!

They both have 9 more fun filled days. Then Lorna and Ray have paid for Ramiro to fly to San Diego, Vickie will pick Alen up first, then head to the airport to get Ramiro (first time on an airplane) and drop them off at the border where an uncle will pick them up.

Thanks from the bottom of my heart to Carl, Dave and Patty, Lorna and Ray for taking care of Ramiro with such love. Thanks to my Mom who lent me her car to take Alen everywhere, to Art who made Mike happen and now to Lindsay, Bob and Sarah who are truly showing Alen how we gringoes live!

Thanks loads to Kelly from Punta Chivato! She has never met the kids but wanted to help finance the trip and got her girlfriends to help out too!

[Edited on 1-22-2018 by BajaBlanca]

BajaBlanca - 1-22-2018 at 04:22 PM

Here is Ramiro in the hot tub in Big Bear! I could not add any more photos to the above thread..surely I reached my limit!

rsz_hot_tub.jpg - 93kB

Hollywood walkoffame.gif - 43B

rancho guillermo - 1-22-2018 at 04:34 PM

Once again Blanca and Les and all who helped...What more can we say...

You are the best. Memories made forever and adventures that they may never have be able to do...

Udo - 1-23-2018 at 08:41 AM

How cool was that!!!

TMW - 1-23-2018 at 10:29 AM

As usual, good job Blanca.

BajaBlanca - 1-27-2018 at 01:39 PM

Today, at precisely 3pm, half of the dream team returns to Mexico where he will pick up a car that he will drive down on the first Feb. after picking up the other half of the dream team in Tijuana.

This really was a cool project and I thank Carl for stepping up to the plate way back when I was hunting for a host family for Ramiro. and I also thank AGUACHICO Art who jumped through hoops to make it happen for Alen.

I like this village.

advrider - 1-27-2018 at 06:58 PM

Very cool and good job by everyone! This is a trip they will never forget...

volcano - 1-28-2018 at 08:14 AM

Blanca..you are a credit to the human race

John Harper - 1-28-2018 at 09:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by volcano  
Blanca..you are a credit to the human race

Some guy on the "Let's Talk Hookup" radio show just gave her great reviews for her place in La Bocana. $30 a night, he said the area is awesome.

John

Santiago - 1-28-2018 at 09:57 AM

"One week and then he went to wine country with Dave and Patty who introduced him to Pescatore winery!"

We stop there all the time, it's in our backyard. Owner love to fish Mexico waters and make wine, not a bad combination.

BajaBlanca - 1-28-2018 at 08:24 PM

Dave and Patty are our really good friends, and when we went to northern California last year, they were in Europe and we never got to see the winery.

Dave is a AVID fisherman and a great guy. The first time he came to La Bocana, I took him on a trash clean-up....and the second time when they both came to La Bocana, he and wife Patty became the very first sponsors for the very first students (2) to be in the college scholarship project. Gotta love them!

And now they hosted Ramiro for a week ! Gotta love them!

Patty is my all time brownie donator, the town thinks I am so cool for making brownies.....they beg me for the recipe...nahhhhh TOP SECRET lol

There was a guy who just stayed with us who told me about the radio talk show. How very cool that we were metnioned. $30 for one and $40 for two are really good deals, bummer that Les ain't into doing the breakfasts any more, but nothing lasts forever (have him tell you the story behind that line if you visit us).

A couple more days and Ramiro will be flying back from northern California - first time on an airplane. A trip of many "firsts" for the two.