BajaNomad

Please help find a missing person

chase1164 - 1-23-2018 at 10:25 PM

Jeff Hughes "Coach" 60 yo 5'4" an avid wind surfer and former rower, a Canadian guy long time resident of Hood River OR was last heard from crossing the boarder in Mexicali this past Saturday, since then 0 communication after constant contact. He was meeting up with a fellow traveler, a mystery unnamed guy at the boarder heading to La Ventana.

He is traveling in a black 1999 Suburban with a rack on top, OR license starts with an ALT or AFT, his car is stuffed with expensive WS gear, he's got some medical/cognitive issues.

Please help us find him!!! Quite a few of us are worried about him and he is over due for his arrival down there.

Picture to follow

Please any suggestions, thoughts, prayers, help finding him would be really appreciated.

Hook - 1-24-2018 at 06:10 AM

Did he have a presence on Nomads? Could that be how he found this mystery guy?

mtgoat666 - 1-24-2018 at 06:29 AM

For larger audience, reach more people, post your message on Facebook “talk baja” group.

ljprusko - 1-24-2018 at 08:50 AM

Every year public forums have numerous posts about searching for lost people. This is the third missing person request I’ve seen this week on Baja forums. No offense, hope your friend is found safe. But there is absolutely no excuse for not buying an inexpensive GPS device to let family and friends track you, keep in contact, request assistance. Spot and Delorme (now Garmin) are two examples, other products are out there also. If you can afford a vehicle, RV, sailboat, motorcycle, afford to travel, etc, you can afford an inexpensive tracking device. Safety first.

BajaBlanca - 1-24-2018 at 09:36 AM

Please post a photo quickly! That is the fastest way for us to know if we have seen him, and guaranteed that someone has.

norte - 1-24-2018 at 10:33 AM

Post a photo of him and the vehicle. Ignore the people who are not helpful.

JZ - 1-24-2018 at 10:35 AM

That stretch of Baja has virtually no cell service South of San Felipe.

My kid and I did an unplanned side trip in December and lost radio contact with the wife for 2.5 days and she flipped out. She would have posted on here if she knew this place existed.

So, it's not that unusual to not hear from him.

[Edited on 1-25-2018 by JZ]

chase1164 - 1-24-2018 at 06:12 PM

He showed up late last night alls well. Yes he's an ass for being ill prepared

woody with a view - 1-24-2018 at 06:56 PM

being connected 24/7 is WAAAY over rated!

Ken Cooke - 1-24-2018 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

I check in once/twice a week. Thankfully, these "missing person" threads end on a positive note.

micah202 - 1-24-2018 at 10:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

Agree. It's Baja down here. Unless you want to wear an electronic leash,, it's best to let friends know that check-ins happen every 3 days, at best,,,,not to panic for 5 or 6! <;~l

BajaBlanca - 1-25-2018 at 07:30 AM

Happy endings are the best. Hard for family en el otro lado (on the other side, as they say here in Bocana) to understand our slow or non-existant internet/phone service! I have been told off by my 83 year old Mom for not answering her messenger message within minutes hahaha

and now that she is visiting us here in Mexico, she cannot fathom why her computer is not working so well. Sighhhhhhhhhhhhh

Alls well that ends well, so glad the coach is OK.

TMW - 1-25-2018 at 11:38 AM

It's WAAAY over rated and it's Baja is OK until something happens at one end or the other. For the traveler a spot type device is very good. Not a lot you can do if it's the other end until you have cell service or a sat phone. I use my spot to let my wife (and friends) know where I'm at and I call home once a day if I'm in cell service to see how she is doing. She is in the hospital about half the time so if she doesn't answer I call my daughter. As you get older life gets shorter, make the most of it while you can.