BajaNomad

Cantina for photoshoot recommendations?

Bajavanadu - 1-23-2018 at 10:33 PM

I've got a photoshoot coming up for a country/folk band "Rosa's Cantina". Looking for an authentic looking cantina in baja norte, preferably on the pacific side and no further south than ensenada? Thanks in advance for any thoughts.

wilderone - 1-24-2018 at 08:04 AM

Depends on what you think "authentic" is, and what you hope to include (a bartop and stools? Outdoor scene? Ocean view? Rustic exterior? Mariachis? Smallish? The band is going to play inside it?) I would suggest driving the Libre highway and scouting it out.

David K - 1-24-2018 at 09:04 AM

Half Way House, just south of Splash at km. 52.5. For a photoshoot named Rosa's Cantina, you probably need a place not so obvious as Hussong's Cantina?

willardguy - 1-24-2018 at 09:44 AM

Ricky's Place! K36 ;)

BigBearRider - 1-24-2018 at 09:48 AM

Hussong's Cantina? It's 100+ years old, and looks it. Mariachis frequent the place all the time.

bajaguy - 1-24-2018 at 10:11 AM

If it is for commercial purposes you may need a release or pay fees

norte - 1-24-2018 at 10:31 AM

For an authentic cantina. Stay away from the places these gringos mention. You need to contact some Mexican people who frequent these places.

del mar - 1-24-2018 at 11:33 AM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
Ricky's Place! K36 ;)

:lol: perfect! but senor Ricky has to be in it!

rough place

rancho guillermo - 1-24-2018 at 11:52 AM

El Serape Bar Ensenada...Haven't been in a while..good steaks..kinda rough (what does Kinda mean) but a lot of locals.

bajaguy - 1-24-2018 at 01:21 PM

^^^^ What he said. Would work for inside shots. Pepe is the owner. Tuesdays and Thursdays "old Ensenada' folks are out back on the patio and they serve pretty good meals those days (only)

Quote: Originally posted by rancho guillermo  
El Serape Bar Ensenada...Haven't been in a while..good steaks..kinda rough (what does Kinda mean) but a lot of locals.

StuckSucks - 1-24-2018 at 01:41 PM

My vote.

StuckSucks - 1-24-2018 at 01:54 PM

or, the bar at the Riviera?

Hook - 1-24-2018 at 01:55 PM

My go-to place for a Mexican breakfast is called Rosa's Cantina. Had breakfast there today. In San Carlos, Sonora. But not a bar. And not Baja.

rancho guillermo - 1-24-2018 at 02:46 PM

There is a bar/restaurant/event area at Rancho Las Illusiones East of Rosarito Beach..Cool looking place and might be able top help you out..Just throwing it out there.

By the way..forgot about Bar at Riviera...good place.

del mar - 1-24-2018 at 04:12 PM

El Texano across from the RB hotel another good choice, doesn't get much more authentic!

John Harper - 1-24-2018 at 04:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Half Way House, just south of Splash at km. 52.5. For a photoshoot named Rosa's Cantina, you probably need a place not so obvious as Hussong's Cantina?

It's virtually empty most the time, my friend says the owner makes enough money from the properties just south he does not care about the place. But, plenty of room for a band to set up, maybe even a faux "Rosa's Cantina" sign out front?

John

Hook - 1-24-2018 at 04:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
For an authentic cantina. Stay away from the places these gringos mention. You need to contact some Mexican people who frequent these places.

Hussongs was an authentic cantina before gringos discovered it. Has it changed much? Not to my eye, but it might have been 20 years since I was in there. Same location.

That pic has the feel of authenticity, in the minds of a gringo. Look at that bar! And if the intended audience is a gringo, so much the better. Your definition of an authentic cantina might not ring true with a gringo.

But it is rather high profile. Could be red tape involved.

TecateRay - 1-24-2018 at 05:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

Hussongs was an authentic cantina before gringos discovered it. Has it changed much? Not to my eye, but it might have been 20 years since I was in there. Same location.

That pic has the feel of authenticity, in the minds of a gringo. Look at that bar! And if the intended audience is a gringo, so much the better. Your definition of an authentic cantina might not ring true with a gringo.”
But it is rather high profile. Could be red tape involved”

The gringos no longer prevail in Hussongs. It is not only authentic, 90% of the patrons are locals. I couldn’t think of a better cantina for a video shoot.

David K - 1-24-2018 at 05:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  

It's virtually empty most the time, my friend says the owner makes enough money from the properties just south he does not care about the place. But, plenty of room for a band to set up, maybe even a faux "Rosa's Cantina" sign out front?

John

So, no more restaurant and Chef Johnny, either?

BornFisher - 1-24-2018 at 05:22 PM

Sounds like a call for some field research!!

Stickers - 1-24-2018 at 06:50 PM

In border town (Reynosa) with a very 'authentic cantina'

Dixie Chicks location video -

https://youtu.be/2c5b8ZtjwwY

TecateRay - 1-24-2018 at 08:59 PM

That pic has the feel of authenticity, in the minds of a gringo. Look at that bar! And if the intended audience is a gringo, so much the better. Your definition of an authentic cantina might not ring true with a gringo.”

The gringos no longer prevail in Hussongs. It is not only authentic, 90% of the patrons are locals. I couldn’t think of a better cantina for a video shoot.

JZ - 1-25-2018 at 11:24 AM

My go-to place for a Mexican breakfast is called Rosa's Cantina. Had breakfast there today. In San Carlos, Sonora. But not a bar. And not Baja.

Have been there a 100+ times.

paranewbi - 1-25-2018 at 12:05 PM

A closer consideration might be the Bar Diana in Tecate. Just an hour east of San Diego. Probably find Abraham behind the bar but just ask to speak with Carlo (owner) or son George (acting manager). Carlo's is a sweetheart and does much for gringos. He had a small stroke last year and has slowed a little but still is there if you need anything.

norte - 1-25-2018 at 12:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TecateRay  

Ya...those tables and chairs with a bunch of gringos sitting around looks authentic all right.

norte - 1-25-2018 at 12:19 PM

windgrrl - 1-25-2018 at 01:04 PM

The tequila bar in “The Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada”:

pacificobob - 1-25-2018 at 01:24 PM

to me an real cantina has a urinal along the front of the bar (non-draining, with saw dust to absorb the pee) two aging hookers, loud music coming from damaged speakers, and an assortment of drunks. it has been a while since i have seen one...all on the mainland. bar corona in the town of el fuerte is close, but the urinals are not in front of the bar.

pacificobob - 1-25-2018 at 01:34 PM

to me an real cantina has a urinal along the front of the bar (non-draining, with saw dust to absorb the pee) two aging hookers, loud music coming from damaged speakers, and an assortment of drunks. it has been a while since i have seen one...all on the mainland. bar corona in the town of el fuerte is close, but the urinals are not in front of the bar.

chippy - 1-25-2018 at 01:48 PM

Looks like SMA:lol:

Paco Facullo - 1-25-2018 at 02:43 PM

Looks vary similar to La Capilla de Don Javier Cantina, in the town of Tequila , Jalisco mexico.

One of the tip 10 bars in the world. Truly authentic.

Don Javier was the inventor of the Batanga.

I was lucky enough to met that fine Gentleman a couple of three years ago.

chippy - 1-25-2018 at 04:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Looks vary similar to La Capilla de Don Javier Cantina, in the town of Tequila , Jalisco mexico.

One of the tip 10 bars in the world. Truly authentic.

Don Javier was the inventor of the Batanga.

I was lucky enough to met that fine Gentleman a couple of three years ago.

No its in San Miguel de Allende. :yes:

willardguy - 1-25-2018 at 04:45 PM

same color......

BajaTed - 1-25-2018 at 08:45 PM

The bar at the "Magana" restaurant at inland La Mision is cool

Bajavanadu - 1-26-2018 at 08:02 AM

Thanks for all of the recommendations! I think riviera might be a perfect fit. Time for some bar scouting!

John Harper - 1-26-2018 at 04:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
The bar at the "Magana" restaurant at inland La Mision is cool

I had a huge breakfast burrito with sides and a Pacifico for $5 last time I was there. Great deal.

John

[Edited on 1-26-2018 by John Harper]

Ejido Mazatlan, Rosarito or El Sauzal, Ensenada

GypsyJan - 1-26-2018 at 09:25 PM

Go up into the valleys away from the tourist district, eastwards.

There many cantinas only locals go to.

Or, just read the crime reports in Ecos, the Spanish language newspaper. It posts online.

Udo - 1-27-2018 at 01:03 PM

That's about as an iconic entrance as you can get!