BajaNomad

laser surgery for hernia? UPDATE 2/8

BajaBlanca - 1-27-2018 at 02:55 PM

Has anyone had a stomach hernia surgery done via laser? Les has one that needs doing...

[Edited on 2-8-2018 by BajaBlanca]

bajaguy - 1-27-2018 at 04:28 PM

Had mine done with the DaVinci robotic in 2012. Minimally invasive, no problems.

Check with Sharp Medical Center to see if they do laser and if Les is a good candidate

BajaBlanca - 1-27-2018 at 05:21 PM

There is a doc in La Paz who does it. Fast recovery bajaguy?

bajabuddha - 1-27-2018 at 05:55 PM

Blanca, there are many different types of hernias. Is it a good ol' fashioned inguinal hernia? From what little I just googled, it's done by laparoscope which is less invasive than the old surgical method, but restrictions apply. You need to find out what Les is qualified to receive, although you probably already have. I suggest Google it and get to a board that has blogs on recovery, etc. Buena Suerte.

BajaBlanca - 1-27-2018 at 07:44 PM

thanks bb

Les is doing the googling but I like to hear from those who have been there and done that. Nothing like hearing it from the horse's mouth and most of us have been around the block, once or more times LOL

bajaguy - 1-27-2018 at 08:28 PM

Up and walking the next day, weight restrictions on lifting things for a couple of weeks, good as new after a few weeks. Can't remember any pain involved, two very minor incisions.....was for a Hiatal Hernia


Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
There is a doc in La Paz who does it. Fast recovery bajaguy?

Howard - 1-27-2018 at 08:31 PM

Here is an option, trade him in on a newer model! :biggrin:


DianaT - 1-27-2018 at 08:35 PM

Blanca,,

Be sure to check your U2U

Santiago - 1-28-2018 at 09:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  
Blanca, there are many different types of hernias. Is it a good ol' fashioned inguinal hernia? From what little I just googled, it's done by laparoscope which is less invasive than the old surgical method, but restrictions apply. You need to find out what Les is qualified to receive, although you probably already have. I suggest Google it and get to a board that has blogs on recovery, etc. Buena Suerte.

Blanca mentioned "Stomach" so probably not inguinal. More like BG's type I think.

BajaBlanca - 1-28-2018 at 08:48 PM

Thanks all! Les has been busy googling. All I can say is that he is quite wary now. Someone in town mentioned laser but laparoscopy sounds more like it.

bajaguy - 1-28-2018 at 09:23 PM

Check with Sharp in San Diego and see if they have DiVinci


Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Thanks all! Les has been busy googling. All I can say is that he is quite wary now. Someone in town mentioned laser but laparoscopy sounds more like it.

pacificobob - 1-29-2018 at 02:51 PM

i do not often require medical advice, but when i do, baja nomad is my first stop.

Bob and Susan - 1-29-2018 at 02:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
i do not often require medical advice, but when i do, baja nomad is my first stop.


and you are "the most interesting man in the world" : )

BajaBlanca - 1-29-2018 at 06:59 PM

We find we need medical advice more and more often as time goes on.

Bajanomad was great when I was investigating the cpap machine many years ago now. That machine has been a Godsend, Les breathes so well at night now. No more snoring and no more scary sleep apnea.




BajaBlanca - 2-8-2018 at 03:06 AM

hernia laparoscoped and Les is good to go!

If anyone is interested, the doctor is

Dr. Hector Viarte 612 157-9664

His office is at the Santuario Maria Luiza de la Peña...old institution and not so beautiful but we really liked the doc.

I left my ipad there and will hopefully get it back tomorrow.