BajaNomad

feedback on Campo Cantu?

caj13 - 1-29-2018 at 06:56 PM

is it the same as Cantu cove? seemsd to be mostly rental cabins, no quads or sidebysides allowed?

any info is appreciated, and especially, buying a place there?

StuckSucks - 1-29-2018 at 07:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
is it the same as Cantu cove?

Appears to be one in the same.

Cantu's Cove

WARNING:
If you are looking to ride off road vehicles around camp this isn't the camp for you! Check out our friends at Pete's Camp, they house off-roaders and have been around as long as us. To expand, this camp does not permit joying riding motocycles, ATVs, and other loud vehicles around the camp. It's illegal to ride on the beach and the law will be enforced.

StuckSucks - 1-29-2018 at 07:04 PM

Lightbulb: a dozen years ago we parked over there and hiked to the top of El Machorro. A rocky, steep, non-trail to the top with killer views.

sancho - 1-29-2018 at 08:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
hiked to the top of El Machorro. A rocky, steep, non-trail to the top with killer views.

Always wanted to do that, last few times, there has been a lone
Military post, like one guy stationed on top, what maybe
800 ft? Wonder how far east one can see? Penansco
too far?

Hook - 1-30-2018 at 03:50 PM

This was really my go-to San Felipe camp in the late 70s and early 80s. I much preferred it to the in-town campos or the northern beach campos. It had a good beach, was much quieter than being in town, yet you could be in downtown SF in mere minutes for supplies. The clamming was good and the shore fishing was decent in the area near the rocky headland. Proprietors came out selling shrimp and other goods on weekends.

Back then, there were only a handful of actual private structures that were on the left of the camp entrance road. The campo itself was only a few palm frond palapas and a bathroom/shower house with no roof on it. Camping was on a low bluff just back of the sand beach. Steve Cantu was still around, as well as his worker from Michoacan, Danyo. In retrospect, I assume he was a direct descendant of early territorial governor Colonel Esteban Cantu Jimenez, who basically started the "modern" San Felipe by constructing the first passable road to San Felipe from Mexicali.

It was great getting bombed at Bar Miramar or another bar I cant remember, eating fish and shrimp tacos along the malecon and driving the simple dirt road back to camp. This was well before Rockodile or the Green Whatever it Was bar.

I can appreciate a campo that discourages the loud use of ATVs. Although I own one, it's nice that they have literally drawn a line in the sand and said "go to one of the campos that specializes in ATV clients". They aren't very conducive with a quiet Baja cove.

David K - 1-30-2018 at 04:49 PM

Interesting...
This place was known as Ensenada Blanco in the late 1960s. There were palapas and day-use was 25 cents.

1970 map from Cliff Cross:

PaulW - 2-26-2018 at 03:01 PM

1970 names!! Thanks
A while back (~12 years ago) wife & I climbed Kila by driving up the Pescador road to the mountain base. Interesting because all the com radios are there with batteries, solar panels, and antennas. Hard climb wilt lots of loose rocks. The guys that took all that stuff there had a lot of work to do. More than one radio system.
Here is the INEGI image for orientation