BajaNomad

San Evaristo question

philodog - 2-5-2018 at 02:52 PM

Anyone know the history of the campo at the base of the cliffs south of San Evaristo that has the old Ford truck and cabover camper abandoned up there? Looks like an old rancho that was later squatted on by a gringo in the 80s or so. Totally inaccessible by vehicle now.

[Edited on 2-5-2018 by philodog]

Sandlefoot - 2-5-2018 at 03:19 PM

Is that still further south than the road that turns west up over the ridge to Constitution, or is it on the San Evaristo side of the bad road pass? I am running up there on Wednesday, maybe I can give you a report!!

Happy Trails!!

4x4abc - 2-5-2018 at 06:52 PM

I was up at Los Palmares in March last year.

The road up has a few rough spots - the beginning is washed out though.
We hiked the 3 miles
an exhausting 7 hour roundtrip

Truck and camper are still there - and bad shape though.
A second camper looks like it is in decent shape

The spot was an important place in the Jesuit Camino Real network
Some impressive caves above the palm trees and springs

I have plans to drive up there sometime this year
the last 500 yards are impassable though
there is serious dozer work needed

truck looks like new

cab over in bad shape

road is in good shape

shortly before the ranch the road is gone

interesting inscriptions at the ranch

philodog - 2-15-2018 at 03:22 PM

Harald, were you able to decipher the rock inscription? I couldn`t make heads or tails of it. We hiked up the arroyo to the south until it met the road and hiked down the road. The arroyo is beautiful (but you need some rock hopping skills). FYI the start of the road is now a 6 foot vertical wall above the coast road, better bring that dozer if you want to drive it.

philodog - 2-15-2018 at 04:03 PM

Also anyone have any idea what this item ,found at the camp, might be? It is SOLID metal and weighs about 25 pounds. It looks to have broken off from something else

aaaa_67.jpg - 90kB

4x4abc - 2-15-2018 at 04:45 PM

how was the hike up to the road?
looks like about 3.5 miles

philodog - 2-17-2018 at 09:15 AM

The arroyo is absolutely beautiful. Huge boulders of every color that you need to negotiate around or over. Not exactly rock climbing but not easy either. Challenging and fun! A few big caves, a little water. Going up the arroyo and down the road makes a nice loop. Going up the road is a long monotonous uphill in the sun but a quick and easy downhill with views of the Sea. Coming down the arroyo would be more difficult than going up. Any idea what the rock inscription says?
Also, for hiking, the arroyo to the south is easier and even more beautiful. It just ends at a waterfall about 3-4 miles up.

David K - 2-17-2018 at 09:42 AM

Philodog, your metal object, maybe it is part of a water well drill bit?

carlosg - 2-17-2018 at 09:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by philodog  
... Any idea what the rock inscription says?...

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I was up at Los Palmares in March last year.

interesting inscriptions at the ranch

The first line says:

"EL AGUA ES LA VIDA"...

In English it means: "Water Is Life"...

Unfortunatly the shades over the rock make it difficult to read the rest.