BajaNomad

1971 AAA Baja Map (July 1971) for historical interest

David K - 2-8-2018 at 04:21 PM

Before 1975 and sometime after the late 1960s, the AAA map (actually was the Auto Club of Southern California) had a large scale map of northern Baja and the smaller scale of the rest of Baja on the other side. That smaller scale was the same style map they had for all of Baja in the early 1960s and before.

I have 9 scans of this 1971 map provided by TW (TMW on Nomad).

The new (then) highway is not accurate south of Santiago nor was there a paved 6 mile road to Agua Caliente... just a couple quick observations.

If I missed an area you want to see or if you want me to zoom in on any area to see better... just ask!

I will scan the Sept. 1973 edition of the Baja map next...

Mateo-Feo - 2-9-2018 at 10:14 PM

Wow this is cool

Barry A. - 2-21-2018 at 01:08 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by Mateo-Feo  
Wow this is cool

I think so, too! Like looking back in time.
Soon, I will put up the 1973 map that TW sent me. The Olympics have been distracting me! The '73 map shows the proposed or under construction route of the new highway.

Does anyone have the 1972 AAA Baja map?

(This new format has me totally confused. See another post below)

[Edited on 2-21-2018 by Barry A.]

[Edited on 2-21-2018 by Barry A.]

Hook - 2-21-2018 at 01:17 PM

I never was on any of the unpaved sections of the transpeninsular hwy (though I was going down to Ensenada from '69 on), but I did drive the
hwy between Ensenada and San Felipe in '73, before it was completely paved. Seemed like it was only the section across Laguna Diablo that was still dirt.

My gal and I had lunch at Arnold's Cafe and drove all the way back to Ensenada in the same day!! We were blown away at the temp change (especially the water) between Ensenada and San Felipe.

Barry A. - 2-21-2018 at 01:21 PM

David----I have 3 Auto Club Baja maps that are so old I can't find any publishing date on them.

Also a 1963 "Kym's Guide" map of Baja.

Also a AAA map of Baja dated 1973, but it has a big trip tp Cabo plotted on it with red and black ink.

These are all my Aunt Becky McSheehy's Baja maps from way back when in the '40's, 50's, 60's and newer.

Also, AAA "Baja Log" books from 1959, 1963, l975, l979 and 1984, and beyond.

If interested send me an e-mail.

Barry

David K - 2-21-2018 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
I never was on any of the unpaved sections of the transpeninsular hwy (though I was going down to Ensenada from '69 on), but I did drive the
hwy between Ensenada and San Felipe in '73, before it was completely paved. Seemed like it was only the section across Laguna Diablo that was still dirt.

My gal and I had lunch at Arnold's Cafe and drove all the way back to Ensenada in the same day!! We were blown away at the temp change (especially the water) between Ensenada and San Felipe.

Indeed! Night and day difference.
The pavement out of Ensenada in November of 1973 ended just a few miles east of Ojos Negros. We camped there to watch the Baja 1000. In my Super 8 movie you can see the highway under construction as the racers were on the parallel dirt road. It wasn't until late 1977 or '78 did they reach Hwy. 5. It was first BC #16 before the Feds took over and gave it the same name as the Tecate to Ensenada highway, Mexico #3.

sundance007 - 2-22-2018 at 01:50 PM

Wow that is amazing. I would love to do the Baja 1000 someday. A bucketlist item.

David K - 2-22-2018 at 03:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sundance007  
Wow that is amazing. I would love to do the Baja 1000 someday. A bucketlist item.

Just get involved in someway. That Super 8 movie I filmed at 16. I began going to see the races many times after. In 1978 I was asked if I would hold a fire extinguisher at a pit during the Baja 500 and pretty soon I was a pit captain at various races. In 1979, I was invited to co-drive in the first Baja 1000 that Score ran to La Paz. Just be where you want to be in life, and it can happen!

Cliffy - 2-22-2018 at 05:09 PM

HEHE I still have my AAA map from the 70s buried somewhere.
It looks to like the racers were just coasting through the area slowly :-)

BajaBlanca - 2-22-2018 at 08:25 PM

La Bocana isn't even on that map! Holy smokes.

Very cool to look at older maps...thanks for sharing.

AlanDavid90 - 5-23-2018 at 10:47 PM

Stunning Map of Baja in 1971

PaulW - 5-25-2018 at 06:57 AM

South of San Felipe there are two roads. The old Puerticitos road (OPR) and the current road closer to the Sea. What was the time period when the transition from OPR to the present road path?
Any old maps showing both?
A friend and resident for 40 years remembers driving south using OPR. I wonder if his memory is good?

David K - 5-25-2018 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
South of San Felipe there are two roads. The old Puerticitos road (OPR) and the current road closer to the Sea. What was the time period when the transition from OPR to the present road path?
Any old maps showing both?
A friend and resident for 40 years remembers driving south using OPR. I wonder if his memory is good?

The new graded roadbed (future paved road) south from Punta Estrella was built in 1982 and could be driven just a ways beyond La Roca, about to La Perlita/ Agua Azul de Acapulco and bulldozer clearing was progressing south.

Paving came several years later, around 1990... and was so thin that by 1999 it was well deteriorated.

My map in 1980, before the new road:

Here is my 1982 map showing both:

Jan. 1988:

Pavement progressed from the Hotel Fiesta to just beyond Punta Estrella (about where the Valle de los Gigantes is now)

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
AAA Before and after:

1978:

1987:

(my notes on the progress south of Puertecitos on the new graded road)

1989:

(The incorrectly showed paving to Percebu)

1990:

(They corrected the mistake from 1989 map paving to Percebu)

1996:

(Pavement reached Puertecitos)

2000:

(Pavement already vanishing near Puertecitos)

2001:

(More pavement gone)

2003:

2004:

2007:

(Road repaved to Puertecitos)

[Edited on 5-25-2018 by David K]

TMW - 5-25-2018 at 11:19 AM

The pavement to Puertecitos was completed in 1988. We ran the 1987 Baja 1000 which came out of Matomi wash onto the graded road. We ran the 1988 Baja 1000, same course, and when it came out of Matomi wash it was on new pavement. What a difference a year made but it was not to last since the pavement was so thin potholes soon developed.

basautter - 5-25-2018 at 12:36 PM

Very cool! Thanks for sharing :light:

David K - 5-25-2018 at 03:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The pavement to Puertecitos was completed in 1988. We ran the 1987 Baja 1000 which came out of Matomi wash onto the graded road. We ran the 1988 Baja 1000, same course, and when it came out of Matomi wash it was on new pavement. What a difference a year made but it was not to last since the pavement was so thin potholes soon developed.

It must have been really thin, indeed... because in January of 1988 it was dirt just past Punta Estrella, 40 miles from Puertecitos.

As I recall, the (lazy) government person who issued the check to the paving contractor simply flew over it to see if it was done and never took any core samples to see if the correct amount of asphalt was used. He obviously also didn't see how the road vados were not regraded for pavement speed (Oh Sh!@ Dips)! I heard that contractor was jailed. Not sure what happened to the lazy government person??

TMW - 5-25-2018 at 07:52 PM

There were places where the potholes were that the asphalt looked to be only 1/4 inch thick.

PaulW - 5-25-2018 at 09:50 PM

David all the maps on this thread have disappeared?

BajaBill74 - 5-26-2018 at 08:18 AM

David, I find them "disappeared" too.

AKgringo - 5-26-2018 at 08:49 AM

David, I can see the maps on this thread right now, but I just tried to view your trip report #2, and none of the photos come up for me!

PaulW - 5-26-2018 at 09:10 AM

Images are coming and going. When I try to reply with my discussion of a single map - nothing when I preview.
Restart
Now no maps show up. Looks like a site problem???

PaulW - 5-26-2018 at 09:20 AM

Anyway without an image I have questions for David
* I really like your maps. How did you do your map making with all the mileage detail? Pretty accurate I might add.
* Regarding your '82? map that shows the detail of the Matomi area. I have had conversations with two old timers that said OPR entered Matomi from the north then went east to where hwy 5 is now then continued south. Then later this route was discontinued to become what you show in the '82 map for hwy 5. My question is there any thing older that can verify that route or is just fictional?

SFandH - 5-26-2018 at 09:48 AM

The server the images are on isn't responding, at least right now.

http://s213.photobucket.com

100% packet loss on a ping.

AKgringo - 5-26-2018 at 11:58 AM

The issue seems to have been resolved. I just tried the Trip report #2 thread again, and all the photos are there!

David K - 5-26-2018 at 02:24 PM

Anyway without an image I have questions for David
* I really like your maps. How did you do your map making with all the mileage detail? Pretty accurate I might add.
* Regarding your '82? map that shows the detail of the Matomi area. I have had conversations with two old timers that said OPR entered Matomi from the north then went east to where hwy 5 is now then continued south. Then later this route was discontinued to become what you show in the '82 map for hwy 5. My question is there any thing older that can verify that route or is just fictional?

Hi Paul, I am away for the weekend but may get some info to you. Not sure what OPR is, but I can tell you I first visited Matomí in 1978, in from the north and out to Puertecitos road in the arroyo. That was also the first year Score used Matomí for the 1000. It was difficult in the narrows but I still got my Subaru through. I have been back many times and it was easy in 2001 to 2006 as sand covered the boulders. Last year was the first time I couldn't pass through the narrows.

Edit: I have guessed OPR is Old Puertecitos Road. To answer you, it and the paved road are in the same location where it crossed Matomí. You can see the old maps from Gulick to the AAA maps to see. The terrain allows not much other option unless you move closer to the sea.

As for my hand drawn maps, well that is my passion... Baja maps and the area south of San Felipe is where I have spent most of my Baja life at. I drove the roads and recorded the mileage. I also drove the coast and recorded mileages and took sightings from various points to improve the accuracy. I was 25 in 1982 and began drawing maps of the area when I was 10, in 1967. I have posted them here on Nomad, too.

[Edited on 5-26-2018 by David K]

BajaBill74 - 5-26-2018 at 02:28 PM

David, the pictures are 'disappearing" and "un-disappearing" when ever they feel like it. There must be an unknown reason for it.

David K - 5-26-2018 at 02:53 PM

Paul, another proof that OPR and Hwy. 5 are in the same location across the Matomí arroyo valley is in Gulick & Gerhard's 1962 Lower California Guidebook that describes Arroyo Matomí and the deep well just west of the road. That well is still just west of the highway. A ranch called San Rafael was there since the 1970s. Today it is called El Pozo, at km. 60.5.

PaulW - 8-31-2019 at 01:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Paul, another proof that OPR and Hwy. 5 are in the same location across the Matomí arroyo valley is in Gulick & Gerhard's 1962 Lower California Guidebook that describes Arroyo Matomí and the deep well just west of the road. That well is still just west of the highway. A ranch called San Rafael was there since the 1970s. Today it is called El Pozo, at km. 60.5.

========= ===
Thanks for the confirmation
I am now subscribed to this thread and will respond.

PaulW - 12-7-2019 at 06:19 PM

No question the any version of the road south passed next to the well at San Rafael just like Hwy 5 does now.
(Currently OPR hts Hwy 5 at ~Km51)
However, OPR going south passes Agua de Chale then there is a road going SW which goes around the hills to the west and enters Matomi about a mile or 2 west of San Rafael. These two old timers told me that that go around the hills road to the west was the first road south. I seriously doubt them because Gulick implies the road was along the coast.
Gulick goes back to 1956. So -- can you find anything older?

David K - 12-7-2019 at 11:41 PM

I may need to reread your post, but OPR was 4.8 miles west of Agua de Chale, it ran through the sulfur mine.

South of the sulfur mine, an old road went west over the Llanos de San Fermin to Arroyo Matomí and followed it back to OPR by that well.

This road has been used by Score many times, including last month.

It appears on many maps since Gulick included it, but never mentioned it in the guidebook.

I did see the unpublished first Gulick map of San Felipe south and indeed, before there was a direct to Puertecitos road, that Llanos de San Fermin road was all he showed south of the sulfur mine.

PaulW - 12-8-2019 at 06:37 AM

Gulick has always shown the yellow road. Was the yellow road ever used before the coast road?

David K - 12-8-2019 at 10:01 AM

Yes Paul, as I said in the last reply...
"I did see the unpublished first Gulick map of San Felipe south and indeed, before there was a direct to Puertecitos road, that Llanos de San Fermin road was all he showed south of the sulfur mine."

The 1956 map in the guidebook shows the road south of San Felipe going to the sulfur mine then turning east to end at Agua de Chale. There was no map showing the coast between San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay in the '56 book.

The 1958 map (an added map for San Felipe to Gonzaga) shows the Llanos de San Fermin road as well as the road going direct to Puertecitos (OPR) from the sulfur mine. The guide mentioned that the camp at Puertecitos was established in 1957. Gulick's photos there in 1956 show nothing and in 1959 show the first buildings where the cantina is.

TacoFeliz - 3-14-2020 at 09:56 AM

Hi David -

I was surprised to see a road west from Mexico 1 directly to Punta Cabras on the AAA 1971 map. It still looks like it is intact today on Google Earth.

It's great to see the roads in use at that time. More to explore on future trips. Thanks for posting.

PaulW - 3-14-2020 at 01:09 PM

How about old maps that show driving paths in the San Felipe arroyos?
Azufre(Parral), Huatamote/Parral, Chanate, etc

PaulW - 3-14-2020 at 01:35 PM

Here is another
Some interesting mapping by Tom Tom. A popup offering mobile maps for free.
https://developer.tomtom.com/maps-sdk-web-js/functional-exam...
A quick look showed Motomi and they called “Arroyo El Rosario”. Anybody ever heard of that name?
And the old Hwy 5 thru Coco’s between new 5N to New 5S is labeled “Camino a Calamajue”

David K - 3-14-2020 at 01:49 PM

Here is another
Some interesting mapping by Tom Tom. A popup offering mobile maps for free.
https://developer.tomtom.com/maps-sdk-web-js/functional-exam...
A quick look showed Motomi and they called “Arroyo El Rosario”. Anybody ever heard of that name?
And the old Hwy 5 thru Coco’s between new 5N to New 5S is labeled “Camino a Calamajue”

This is their current map, not an old map. The calling Matomi arroyo, El Rosario, is just a stupid blunder by whoever made the map for them. If you go pretty much west from Matomi you hit Arroyo el Rosario. The just did not separate the two.
The old road via Coco's is the road to Calamajué (both the Puerto de and the Misión de). So, that is correct. Nice they have the highway route correct so soon.

David K - 3-14-2020 at 02:10 PM

How about old maps that show driving paths in the San Felipe arroyos?
Azufre(Parral), Huatamote/Parral, Chanate, etc

I was the the first to document the Azufre/ Parral road since it was shown on the 1971 Geological map of Baja Norte and mentioned in the 1967 edition of Camping and Climbing in Baja. I finally found the route of the long-abandoned road in 1978. Friends traveling with me in my 4WD Subaru would keep getting out to move rocks or debris. We could find the old road by seeing parallel grass (it was raining in December) as the water would puddle in the slightly depressed soil from old tire tracks... and the grass would grow there, showing me the way! It was a big thrill to get through to Valle Chico and see the Sierra San Pedro Mártir! We reached the valley road, a few miles north of Matomi Canyon and drove north to San Felipe.

I was recently in the Baja 1000 ('79) and thought Sal Fish might like to have another optional race route (instead of Matomi) to loop around in. Sal thanked me and invited me to work with SCORE on mapping. I did not follow through on his kind offer.

Here are some of my old maps of the roads south of San Felipe...

1980:

1982:

1982:

1988:

2004:

[Edited on 3-14-2020 by David K]

PaulW - 3-14-2020 at 02:56 PM

Now days from the south:
Matomi
Azufre leads west from the sulphur mine
Huatamote leads west from the Percebu area--(or Pancho's Place)
Chanate leads west from Punta Estrella and the airport
Amarillas leads west from the airport. (and dead ends in Hidden valley)

80 map.
Agua Caliente arroyo is probably Chanate?
The the unnamed one leading west from Percebu is probably Huatamote? Any history on that name as it ended up in the Almanac.

Agree Azufre should properly be called Parral, but the issue was to many Parral's. Therefore an new name was chosen by SCORE (Paul Fish). A naming that Probably should not have been done IMO.

82 Agua Caliente again
Any incite how the name became Chanate? Been that way for a long time. Still not named in the Almanac

David K - 3-14-2020 at 03:10 PM

I got the name Agua Caliente for that arroyo from maps available at the time... It was changed to Hauatmote on the topo maps/ Baja Almanac and later editions of the AAA map.

See here the 1974 AAA map: Arroyo Agua Caliente:

On the 1962 Gulick map, the only arroyo of the many branches that leads out to Punta Estrella is Arroyo Agua Caliente:

PaulW - 3-14-2020 at 03:15 PM

thanks

David K - 3-14-2020 at 03:17 PM

thanks

You are welcome! Please, any more map discussion is welcome!

PaulW - 3-19-2020 at 05:27 PM

Do you have anything on Indian wash/arroyo.

David K - 3-19-2020 at 05:49 PM

Do you have anything on Indian wash/arroyo.

I am going to need more than that... Where is this and why an English name?

David K - 7-2-2020 at 12:04 PM

Indian Wash... Paul?

PaulW - 7-3-2020 at 07:22 AM

No help from me. I was hoping someone could lead me to a source.
Probably loose talk. I think maybe the guy was referring to either Azufre or Chanate, since there was a long standing confusion about those names??? Of course in the Bruce Barber and Lou Wells era wash names proliferated.
have never found any reference about an Indian wash.
Some of these San Felipe guys have lived there for 30+ years and have descriptions that require in depth discussion. Several mapping discussions have proven false - like the route of the old highway down by Matomi that you helped me with.
When I get back next year I will pursue the subject with the old timers. When I get time another source is the Lou Wells archives for me to look at again.

David K - 7-3-2020 at 09:14 AM

Sounds good. Have a happy 4th!