BajaNomad

Clarissa graduating! Photos added 2/11

BajaBlanca - 2-11-2018 at 09:16 AM

The very first student from the very first group of Beca Blanca students is graduating this month, on the 23rd. She majored in Marine Biology and already has a job lined up in Punta Abreojos after she gets her titulo in a year's time.

We are having a graduation breakfast this morning and all the kids who are here in La Paz studying will be present.

Les is making his famous eggs with mushrooms, we have fruit and cinnamon rolls, we have date bread from San Ignacio, we have coffee OJ and our landlady is going to make an "agua".

Photos of the get together later! What a moment this is!

Clarissa diving May 2017.jpg - 32kB

[Edited on 2-12-2018 by BajaBlanca]

advrider - 2-11-2018 at 09:27 AM

Wow! So cool, good job to everyone involved...

BajaTed - 2-11-2018 at 10:56 AM

Good on you Blanca,
Helping local real people in a real positive way.

Here is our local group up north.
http://www.bajascholarshipfoundation.org/

Its not where in life you travel, its with whom and how you travel. :bounce:

BajaBlanca - 2-11-2018 at 09:50 PM

Breakfast was delicious!

Menu was Les's special scrambled eggs with mushrooms, his fried potatoes on the side, a Spanish torta our landlady Maru made along with fruit agua, tortillas, pan de datil from San Ignacio, cantaloupe, cinnamon rolls, coffee and OJ.

rsz_img_20180211_112218.jpg - 153kB

We all had such a good and relaxing time. Two kids were no shows. One is MIA and the other overslept. Ummmm it is carnival here in La Paz!

In between eating and chatting, Clarissa opened her gifts - since she is graduating in Marine Biology, I have her many ocean themed presents: a turtle serving dish, a turtle soap dish, a watch which was too small for her wrist so I will get her another one, some tea towels and more.

rsz_img_20180211_104214.jpg - 127kB

rsz_all_of_us.jpg - 87kB

fishbuck - 2-12-2018 at 12:50 AM

Excellent. Nice to see that good education go to work. Well done.

dtbushpilot - 2-12-2018 at 08:57 AM

Nice Blanca. Thank you for all you do for these kids, you've given them a great head start on life that they wouldn't have otherwise.

TMW - 2-12-2018 at 12:45 PM

What, no famous Les's Polish Sausage. How can that be.

MMc - 2-12-2018 at 01:16 PM

Blanca, You are changing lives, think what their lives would be with the education you helped then get.

BajaBlanca - 2-13-2018 at 08:24 AM

thanks all and yup, no Polish sausage !! heresy, for sure!

I can't wait until the kids can support 2 other students, that might start as soon as next year. Pass the love on, that is our goal.

Clarissa is so proud to be the first student. Her ceremony is on the 23rd. Many tears I shall shed as I tear up now, thinking about this moment.

and there is still her thesis to be finished - she has 2 years to do it, but is shooting for one year. The system here is so different than in the states.

Clarissa graduated!!

BajaBlanca - 2-23-2018 at 11:30 PM

It is hard to describe all the emotions I am going through right now .... the first student from the very first group of scholarship kids graduated this evening.

I am happy because this is the first step of many she will take.
I am sad because I will most likely not be in touch like I have been for almost 5 years.
I am relieved that there are no more tuitions to be paid and only 4 more months of rent to be covered.
I am proud of her and her mom - their struggle to make this moment come to fruition was real.

Here we are!!!!!

rsz_clar_and_i.jpg - 98kB

And I know that many of you have been watching this project unfold over the last 5 years...so you might remember that Clarissa's twin got pregnant, was removed from the program since that was the deal (no pregnancy until done with school) - she married, had the baby and another one. I asked her Mom about the twin today and she told me she is taking a course in how to be a manicurist.....she was studying to become a lawyer before she got pregnant.

I told her Mom to at least tell her to study English. It can't hurt and hopefully one day she manages to go back to college.

But this is a day for CELEBRATION! Isn't Clarissa simply gorgeous?

rsz_120180223_174327.jpg - 125kB

rsz_20180223_182024.jpg - 74kB

rsz_20180223_185453.jpg - 87kB

gator - 2-24-2018 at 12:19 AM

Simply wonderful. Congratulations to you both!!

Elona - 2-24-2018 at 05:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Isn't Clarissa simply gorgeous?

Oh yes, she is .

Congrats!

woody with a view - 2-24-2018 at 08:18 AM

NextGen should always do better than their parents!