BajaNomad

Ecoboost and Pemex fuel

WestyWanderer - 2-14-2018 at 08:56 AM

Does anyone have a Ford ecoboost motor that has run Pemex fuel through it? Considering one but not sure about Pemex fuel in it.

Thanks

4x4abc - 2-14-2018 at 09:01 AM

much of the gas you buy in Mexico is from US refineries
for whatever reason my diesel ran in Baja always better than in the US
friends had the same experience
have no idea why - just saying

willardguy - 2-14-2018 at 09:26 AM

I remember Pemex stations! All the new stations popping up at least in the rosarito area are Chevrons and BP's both touting the same additives you find norte. if you're looking at one of the smaller ecoboost(turbocharged) plants you may want to feed it some premium, either way our gas won't be a problem;)

RnR - 2-14-2018 at 10:30 AM

Quote: Originally posted by WestyWanderer  
Does anyone have a Ford ecoboost motor that has run Pemex fuel through it? Considering one but not sure about Pemex fuel in it.

Thanks

Neighbor has had a F150 Ecoboost in Mexico for the past two years. No Problems!

WestyWanderer - 2-14-2018 at 10:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by RnR  

Thanks

Neighbor has had a F150 Ecoboost in Mexico for the past two years. No Problems!

Thanks RnR, that’s the kind of first hand info I’m looking for

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2018 at 10:50 AM

Thanks

my 2.7L ecoboost engine runs fine on regular in mexico, as it should, because gasoline is substantially same in both countries, just varies in additives and oxygenates. gasoline engines are not delicate flowers, just fill up your truck and go!

TMW - 2-14-2018 at 11:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I've noticed on some diesel pumps that it is blended with bio-diesel. Maybe that is what makes the difference similar to the corn alcohol added to gas.

John Harper - 2-14-2018 at 11:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  

I've noticed on some diesel pumps that it is blended with bio-diesel. Maybe that is what makes the difference similar to the corn alcohol added to gas.

Maybe the french fry smell?

John

WestyWanderer - 2-14-2018 at 02:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

Thanks

my 2.7L ecoboost engine runs fine on regular in mexico, as it should, because gasoline is substantially same in both countries, just varies in additives and oxygenates. gasoline engines are not delicate flowers, just fill up your truck and go!

some would beg to differ. Thanks for the info

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2018 at 06:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Are the non-Pemex brands in Baja free of that engine poison called ethanol that lowers mileage north of the border? One joy of using Pemex is the increase in miles per gallon or liter! How is burning more fuel good for the environment in California? LOL!

[Edited on 2-15-2018 by David K]

Poison?

Oxygenates in gasoline improve air quality — less CO, less ozone, less smog.

Isn’t that the opposite of poison?

If you really worry about fuel economy, more effective solutions than worrying about gasoline formulation are: drive a fuel-efficient vehicle, make local trips on your bicycle, carpool, etc. :light:

DaliDali - 2-14-2018 at 08:11 PM

Are the non-Pemex brands in Baja free of that engine poison called ethanol that lowers mileage north of the border? One joy of using Pemex is the increase in miles per gallon or liter! How is burning more fuel good for the environment in California? LOL!

Poison?

If you really worry about fuel economy, more effective solutions than worrying about gasoline formulation are: drive a fuel-efficient vehicle, make local trips on your bicycle, carpool, etc. :light:

Oxygenates.......PC for corn based alcohol, which if ingested straight will KILL YOU.
Poisonous would be the correct term

[Edited on 2-15-2018 by DaliDali]

mtgoat666 - 2-14-2018 at 08:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Poison?

Oxygenates.......PC for corn based alcohol, which if ingested straight will KILL YOU.

Name your poison! Which is more toxic in your c-cktail glass, straight gasoline or fuel ethanol? If given a choice of drinks, I am pretty sure a glass of gasoline is more poisonous than a glass of ethanol.

Or would you rather drink MTBE, ETBE or TAME?

With respect to air pollution, a real subject we should all care about, I appreciate our burning cleaner fuels, employing emission controls, smog-checking vehicles, etc.
Clean fuels are just better for our health.

TecateRay - 2-14-2018 at 11:38 PM

Last year a friend tested some Pemex Premium and it had no ethanol. I ride my Moto mostly in Baja and make a point of NOT using California gasoline. I have been running Pemex for years. Even though northern Baja gas is refined here in the US my understanding is that they don’t have to follow the local or federal rules for things like ethanol (a political additive) or the California summer blend mix.

Several friends with gas motors claim to get 10% better mileage on Pemex gas in their truck versus California gas.

DaliDali - 2-15-2018 at 07:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by DaliDali  

Poison?

Name your poison!

Making progress one Goatley at a time....
Cops out.....it's a poison.
FYI Goatly.....MTBE was BANNED in CA in 2004 for being highly toxic.

Udo - 2-15-2018 at 09:46 AM

One of my cars here in Baja is the Ford Escape with the ecoboost engine. About two years of using Mexican VERDE. No problems!

Thanks

DanO - 2-15-2018 at 11:04 AM

Anyway, back on topic, I have a 2012 F150 with an Ecoboost engine and it runs just fine on the Pemex fuel. No worries at all except making sure I'm getting all the gas I'm paying for.

KurtG - 2-15-2018 at 11:09 AM

My motorcycles have always run well with Magna in northern Baja but the last couple of years I have had problems with Magna purchased from Santa Rosalia and points south. Friends in Loreto have reported similar problems and use only Premium. My suspicion is that the gas in Baja Sur comes from different refineries than in northern Baja. I have switched to using Premium all the time since for the bike the price difference is small. My KLR650 hasn't really been a problem but my GSX1100g with smaller carb orifices will barely run on Magna. Mexican fuel additives have had no effect on the problem, first tank of California gas upon my return has the bike running perfectly within a few miles. I'm not interested in getting into a debate of the merits or lack thereof concerning our California gasoline, just reporting my experience.

OTOH, our 2000 Explorer runs fine on Magna no matter where purchased.

WestyWanderer - 2-16-2018 at 09:14 AM

Thanks Udo and DanO, I assumed it wouldn’t be a problem but want to do my research before I potentially upgrade. Any other issues you’ve found with the ecoboost?

pacificobob - 2-17-2018 at 06:43 AM

i had no idea the forum had so many petroleum engineers/experts. what a handy resource. who knew ethanol was a dangerous beverage!

Udo - 2-17-2018 at 09:14 AM

None...other than dodging the potholes (Superb reason not to drive at night because you can't see them). I have blown two tires. Sometimes those critters just come out of nowhere.

Thanks Udo and DanO, I assumed it wouldn’t be a problem but want to do my research before I potentially upgrade. Any other issues you’ve found with the ecoboost?

PaulW - 2-17-2018 at 12:25 PM

I live in Colorado USA in the summer and our gasoline does not contain
Oxy additives. So it is just like the gasoline in Baja. Good stuff.
Ecoboost motors are designed to use both kinds of fuel because that is what we have in the USA.
======= =

Thanks

David K - 2-17-2018 at 12:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
I live in Colorado USA in the summer and our gasoline does not contain
Oxy additives. So it is just like the gasoline in Baja. Good stuff.
Ecoboost motors are designed to use both kinds of fuel because that is what we have in the USA.
======= =

Thanks

Just like the gas in Baja, so no ethanol dilution either? Wow, that's great... No wonder so many Californians are moving to Colorado! Legalizing pot here is not going to be enough to keep Californians from leaving! LOL

PaulW - 2-17-2018 at 02:30 PM

In CO we have regions with air control. Like front range big cities. Out in the country we have good gas.