BajaNomad

dog mace?

del mar - 2-16-2018 at 11:33 AM

I've never been a huge dog guy and have a genuine fear of pit bulls, the guard dog of choice it seems at least here in tijuana/rosarito area. long story short im walking along the free road and the next thing I know a pair of over zealous pit bulls are giving me the business. I got one clamped down on my tennis shoe snarling and shaking and his buddy trying to get into the action while im trying to shake this fellow off while dancing around with the free foot. a car stops and backs up to me and a lady hands me a steering wheel club. thinking this might just escalate things I decline the club, she's screaming something in spanish at the dogs that gets their attention while I make my escape, dogs still lunging at my ankles.
I walk around the area alot and always wary of this happening, I sure wouldn't be opposed to carrying a can of mace with me....anyone selling this stuff in northern baja?
btw this was yesterday next to Ollies :(

DirkEXC - 2-16-2018 at 11:45 AM

Dog mace absolutely, We have had Coyote's grab little dogs right off leaches in my neighborhood. I carry pepper spray every time I walk my dog and most other neighbors either carry golf clubs or big sticks.

Go for some bear spray and those dogs probably will not bother you again.

Udo - 2-16-2018 at 11:49 AM

Pick up a can or two of BEAR SPRAY. Works on any dog, as well as humans.
It is available on Amazon.

John Harper - 2-16-2018 at 11:51 AM

UDAC Bear Spray. Screw those kinds of dogs.

It's got a 35' range, spray the owner too if he comes running.

John

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by John Harper]

motoged - 2-16-2018 at 12:00 PM

Be sure to check the legality of possession of toxic sprays....generally considered a weapon.....even if called bear spray :light:

Two opinions.....

Discover Baja says:

Items Not Allowed in Mexico:

Guns or ammunition. Guns are illegal in Mexico. You will be put in jail for having one.
Pepper spray
Lethal knives and machetes (anything over 8” is not allowed)
Live predator fish
Totoaba fish (fresh or frozen)
Turtle eggs
Poppy seeds or flour of poppy seeds
Marijuana, medicinal marijuana, marijuana products, marijuana seeds or spores, or marijuana extracts
Opium extract
Stamps or prints, displayed for their sale in envelopes or packages, containing illustrations that represent childhood in a degrading, violent, self-destructive, anti-social or ridiculous way (i.e. Garbage Pail Kids trading cards)
Thallium sulfate.
Isodrin, Aldrin, Heptaclor, Drinox, Endrin, Mendrin, Nendrin, Hexadrin or Leptophos insecticides.
Heroin
Medication prepared with acetylmorphine or its derivatives
Loggerhead turtles or turtle skins
Goods that have been declared as archaeological monuments by the Secretary of Public Education.
Air compression spearguns are prohibited. Rubber band spearguns are permitted.

Legal Beagle says:

Pepper spray (the civilian version of the chemical mace used by law enforcement personnel) is a less-than-lethal defensive weapon that comes in a pressurized container. All you have to do is point the canister at an assailant's eyes and let the spray do the work. As with any weapon though, traveling abroad with pepper spray might be problematic.
Flying

If you are going to bring pepper spray on a flight, you cannot have it on you or in your carry-on bag. Pepper spray will have to be left in cargo luggage. Once you arrive in Mexico, your luggage may be searched, but the civilian pepper spray will not cause any alarm. The same rules for flying back to the States with pepper spray apply, so make sure you do not accidentally leave the spray in your pocket.
Purchase

Pepper spray is completely legal to purchase in Mexico, and it can be found at large businesses and even in pharmacies. There is a saying (and even the tone of the U.S. government advice implies) that anything can be purchased in Mexico for the right price. However, if a good is sold openly at a reputable business (rather than off of a cart or a lean-to-stall), then you can usually assume that it is a legitimate item.
Assault

Pepper spray is meant to be used as a defensive weapon. It is a less-than-lethal weapon, but it is a weapon nonetheless. If you intend to use it, make sure the situation is serious enough. If you are threatened in some way, you must also be in a sober state of mind and be able to judge the situation properly for your story to carry weight with the authorities. If you use pepper spray in any other situation, you will have to answer to criminal assault charges.

Paco Facullo - 2-16-2018 at 12:04 PM

I have NO problem using pepper spray on dogs or any other thing that wants to harm me as it is not lethal ..

But I'm a serious dog person , and as so, I carry Dog treats. Baja dogs are usually vary hungry and as such food will be a number one concern for them.

Make friends NOT enemies .....

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by Paco Facullo]

chuckie - 2-16-2018 at 12:12 PM

Make your own, simplepimple...Mix vinegar and super hotsauce I use Melindas 50/50 put it in a plastic squirt bottle....USE it...sprayed in the mouth and eyes,they lose interest pretty quick..Engineer the bottle to shoota thin stream,not a spray..Not illegal, and VERY effective...

freediverbrian - 2-16-2018 at 02:22 PM

A nose spray bottle filled with ammonia. Point and squeeze , will stop a dog.

joerover - 2-16-2018 at 03:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by freediverbrian  
A nose spray bottle filled with ammonia. Point and squeeze , will stop a dog.

no good, might burn yourself instead,
ammonia, no.

Pit bulls have the smallest brain of any dog, the poodle is #2, with nearly double the brain power of a pit bull.

pacificobob - 2-16-2018 at 03:47 PM

we used ammonia spray in alaska for airplane tires so that bears would not chew them while camped in areas with lots of bears.. it works well

Bob and Susan - 2-16-2018 at 03:48 PM

"dog mace" is worthless...take my word

don't waste your money...

you'll just get the oil on your hands and then in your eyes

they'll lick it up like "hot treat"

never turn your back
never run
yell short stuff at the dog

try to avoid "bad dog areas"

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by Bob and Susan]

sancho - 2-16-2018 at 03:57 PM

I ride a bicycle while in Mex, did a little research on the subject
of dogs, sometimes it is a bit difficult to separate advertising
to legit info. But what some of the you tube info has, there is a
bit of it, is that bear spray, while has the long range, has 1% active
ingredient, the pepper spray to repel humans, animals has 10%,
that % seems to be the highest readily available. They also debunk
wasp spray. There is a gel
pepper spray, which looks good

BajaMama - 2-16-2018 at 04:30 PM

IMHO terrible dogs - bred for one purpose. Only one breed of dog has consistently desired to attack my dog and that would be a pit bull. Not every single we have walked passed, but a strong 80%. Wasp spray and a baseball bat are legal, I assume?

bajabuddha - 2-16-2018 at 04:44 PM

Wasp spray comes in a bulky can; pepper spray, mace, other containers are meant to be carried on one's person. Easier to handle, easier to quickly reach when a fast crisis develops. Far's the legality, I doubt it would be a question unless used on a person. "Es por perro malo" would be an acceptable response I believe.

I'm a dog lover; that being said, I also feel a dog is only as smart as its' owner. I've seen some pretty dumb dogs in my life; if it is going to cause me harm, I'll harm it back. Same goes for the owner.

mtgoat666 - 2-16-2018 at 04:46 PM

Carry a walking stick, makes a good club.
I have found that many Mexican dogs have experienced being target of rock throwing, so often the motion of bending down for a rock makes them turn away. And a good rock hit will often make a mean dog turn tail.

Lee - 2-17-2018 at 08:17 PM

Stick, club, spray I prefer a knife. In a 2 mile daily walk, I"ll probably have it out once with dogs running in packs. Dogs are a big problem where I live.

This from today's Baja Onion:

''My Dog Was Killed By A Pack Of Owned Dogs In Pescadero Last Month - PLEASE SHARE. I am heartbroken. My rescue poodle was killed by a pack of owned dogs. They have attacked numerous times before.

Rasta was attacked and initially survived but underwent anesthesia to stitch his throat. (Unfortunately he was attacked again but didn't require anesthesia/stitches). Ultimately he succumbed to his injuries from shock, trauma &anesthesia.

The dogs: large dark male pitbull, white &brown female pit-mix, and blue heeler, are dangerous &have already tried to attack again.

Everyone should know that these violent dogs exist &are often off-leash. The house: large iron gate, with a 'For Sale' sign before the south entrance to Pedrito Beach ☞ Morgan, morga.leigh@gmail.com, Pescadero''

bajaguy - 2-17-2018 at 08:46 PM

Discover Baja is full of crap. Pepper spray is legal in Baja (Mexico)

John Harper - 2-18-2018 at 09:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
I prefer a knife. In a 2 mile daily walk, I"ll probably have it out

Wow, Baja Dundee?

John

mtgoat666 - 2-18-2018 at 09:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Lee  
Stick, club, spray I prefer a knife.

Only a fool fights a dog with a knife. Knives are for close combat. If you get close enough to dog to use knife, you will be bit.
If you are afraid of dogs, carry a club (walking stick, cane, golf club, etc)

willardguy - 2-18-2018 at 10:32 AM

I've got a 3 and 4 iron that are useless to me.....but I'd probably just top it and really pee em off!

sancho - 2-18-2018 at 12:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
but I'd probably just top it and really pee em off!

That's funny, when you almost whiff on a full swing, only
to see it roll 30'

JZ - 2-18-2018 at 12:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
"dog mace" is worthless...take my word

don't waste your money...

you'll just get the oil on your hands and then in your eyes

they'll lick it up like "hot treat"

never turn your back
never run
yell short stuff at the dog

try to avoid "bad dog areas"

[Edited on 2-16-2018 by Bob and Susan]

Kick them with your riding boots.

My youngest is a magnet for dogs chasing him on his bike. One bit him in San Carlos. He's finally able to defend himself now.

JZ - 2-18-2018 at 12:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
IMHO terrible dogs - bred for one purpose. Only one breed of dog has consistently desired to attack my dog and that would be a pit bull. Not every single we have walked passed, but a strong 80%. Wasp spray and a baseball bat are legal, I assume?

All pit bulls should be put down. Not a fan at all.

willardguy - 2-18-2018 at 01:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  
Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
but I'd probably just top it and really pee em off!

That's funny, when you almost whiff on a full swing, only
to see it roll 30'

remember to keep your head down and swing through the dog!:yes:

surfhat - 2-18-2018 at 02:11 PM

The motion of bending down and grabbing a rock, whether it is real or not, is sufficient, as most Baja dogs know only too well what this means.

I have never actually thrown a rock, but know this 'fake out' works as well as any. I would never want to hurt any of them, but impressing upon them that I can has proven to be enough.

Bear spray is not something I would ever want to employ, unless it was actually a bear.

As for potential human based attacks, perhaps bear spray is called for. We all know certain reports on Nomad that we all would have wished they would have bear spray for the thieving and much worse personal attacks.

I recently heard from a person who related a disastrous outcome from some campers that own an RV that suffered greatly in northern Baja, and exacted a deadly but deserved price on the culprits. These campers brought defense weapons with them that could have resulted in prison sentences, as they were in law enforcement in the states.

If not for that, they would have had no defense.

I would never do the same, since I have no history with all my 45 years time in Baja, but they protected their wives with their lives on the line, and it is hard to criticize them. That these pos got what they deserved is little comfort. More of their kind should.

Most of the locals know who among them is targeting the innocent travelers, and peer pressure works most of the time, hopefully.

Knowing where to risk stopping is up to each of us. The years of pulling over for the night needs to be examined. Thanks to those here, we know where we shouldn't pull over for the night and where we safely can. Thanks to all here every day. Peace love and fish tacos.

Paco Facullo - 2-18-2018 at 02:13 PM

Surprising, Pit Bulls can be some of the sweetest breeds..

I'm a firm believer that there is no such thing as BAD Dogs only Bad owners ...

Bob and Susan - 2-18-2018 at 02:18 PM

it's NEVER the dogs fault...as they are only dogs...its the owners fault

and don't let ANYONE tell you their dog doesn't bite

all dogs that have teeth bite
the others "gum" you

willardguy - 2-18-2018 at 02:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
it's NEVER the dogs fault...as they are only dogs...its the owners fault

and don't let ANYONE tell you their dog doesn't bite

all dogs that have teeth bite
the others "gum" you

true....

Bob and Susan - 2-18-2018 at 02:28 PM

forget pepper spray...its a waste

willardguy - 2-18-2018 at 02:31 PM

a stick with a taser on the end?

A little levity on a serious problem

Howard - 2-18-2018 at 02:34 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qypEulhiHAw

JZ - 2-18-2018 at 03:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  

Read the stories on pit bulls. This is bull sh#t. They should be eradicated.

[Edited on 2-18-2018 by JZ]

mtgoat666 - 2-18-2018 at 04:08 PM

BS.

Most breeds have particular personality and behavior characteristics.

Pit bulls were bred to be mean. They are mean. Don’t let their sweet occasional disposition fool you, most of them got mean in their genes.

JZ - 2-18-2018 at 04:14 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  

BS.

Most breeds have particular personality and behavior characteristics.

Pit bulls were bred to be mean. They are mean. Don’t let their sweet occasional disposition fool you, most of them got mean in their genes.

Every other week you see a story where a pit kills a kid and the owner is quoted as saying, "I don't know what happened, he was always the sweetest, most gentle dog ever...."

I'm repulsed when I see someone with a pit. The breed adds zero value to this world. Kill them all.

[Edited on 2-18-2018 by JZ]

bajabuddha - 2-18-2018 at 04:32 PM

"Does your dog bite?"

"...no..."

RAWWRRRR !!

"I thought you said your dog does not bite!"

".....it's not my dog..."

~ Pink Panther (*insert French accent*)

Paco Facullo - 2-20-2018 at 05:11 PM

With that kind of thinking Chihuahuas should be the # 1 most hated Dog ?

Dog Bite Statistics
Approximately 4.5 million dog bites occur each year
Dogs that bite the most:

Chihuahua
Bulldog
Pit Bull
German Shepherd
Australian Shepherd
Lhasa Apso
Jack Russell Terrier
c-cker Spaniel
Bull Terrier
Pekingese
Papillion

In 2016, there were an estimated 78 million dogs in the U.S.
80% of dog bites cause no injury at all or only minor injuries that do not require medial attention

Dog bites sustained by children have been decreasing in the past decade
30+ breeds of dogs and mixes are incorrectly identified as “pit bulls”* in dog bite incidents, attributing the pit bull with an unfair and overstated number of incidents (*pit bull is not technically a dog breed; breeds that are commonly referred to as pit bulls in the U.S. are American Staffordshire Terrier, American Pit Bull Terrier, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, and American Bully)

You have a 1 in 112,400 chance of dying from a dog bite or strike
You are at more risk of dying from:

Cataclysmic storm: 1 in 66,335
Contact with hornets, wasps and bees: 1 in 63,225
Air and space transport incidents: 1 in 9,821
Firearm discharge: 1 in 6,905
Choking from inhalation and ingestion of food: 1 in 3,461
Heart disease and cancer: 1 in 7

Most dog bites involve dogs who are not spayed or neutered
Fatal Dog Attacks states that 25% of fatal attacks were inflicted by chained dogs of many different breeds.

Source Bog bite statistics .com
https://www.caninejournal.com/dog-bite-statistics/

Paco Facullo - 2-20-2018 at 05:17 PM

It's simply that a Chihuahua's bite isn't what a Pit Bulls
's bite is.
Also, a lot of Pit Bull owners train them to be mean... ( hence, the bad owner thingy )

hombre66 - 2-20-2018 at 07:08 PM

Overall statistics, plus all the response from nomads experience, indicate that precautions should be taken when exposed to pitbulls. My experience: Always take precautions with all dogs. In my work, I was attacked and bitten 3 times in 1 month last year. Last time I reached out to what I thought was a "freindly and smiling" shepard mix in the back of a pickup, I came close to getting my fingers ripped off. My Border Collie was attacked by a stray pitbull at my business!! By the way ,she was ahead of the game before the pitbulls owner intervened (he got his hand punctured by his own dog) and did serious damage to the pitbulls ear. She sustained a puncture behind the ear. Always got a pepper spray when I go for estimates.

BAD DOGS

J.P. - 2-20-2018 at 09:15 PM

I have a 7 year old German Shepard that weighs 100 lbs. She has been with us since she was 4 mos old . She can be very inteminating which is ok with me. When asked if she Bites I always reply, If she bites you you will be her first.(ALL DOGS CAN AND WILL BITE ) She is no different.

weebray - 2-21-2018 at 09:16 AM

Hogwash! Some pit bulls may be sweet but they are not one of the sweets breeds.