BajaNomad

Buying things in Baja?

fishbuck - 2-16-2018 at 11:42 AM

I have a ton of plastic. And that is a lot of plastic.
Storage boxes and small containers etc.
As I sort through stuff to bring into retirement with me I find myself thinking everything could be useful in baja.
But is it really? And if I were to need a plastic storage box etc. wouldn't such common household items be available in Ensenada or even San Quintin now?
How much stuff is really necessary to bring vrs replacing it locally?
Pots, pans, cheap furniture, bed and bedding etc.
I am guessing there are atleast 10 Segunda (2nd) hand stores in San Quintin valley so I'm guessing plenty of cheap furniture and similar.
How do/did other expats or frequent visitors handle this question?

Udo - 2-16-2018 at 11:54 AM

This decision was made for me when my house in the US burned down from a fire.

Basically just started all over again.

I was also pondering the same question. I had many items during my life's rebuilding process after the fire. I put them all into storage. Once out of storage, and out of view for a couple of years, I never missed the items. I sold everything at a couple of yard sales and never even got back close to what the storage fees were.

My advice, just have a yard sale or give it away. You will never miss it.

P.S. the only items I really missed were my kitchen tools.

fishbuck - 2-16-2018 at 12:03 PM

Kind of what I'm thinking.

It's funny as how I find and touch even the simplest thing as I sort, memories and feelings flood and I falter a little.
Sometimes I can remember the trip to the store.
Sometimes I remember people.
It's hard to throw the stuff away.
It feels like throwing a piece of my life away.
Even a simple trip to the store was important and had meaning at the time. And now seems meaningless and to be discarded.
Sometimes I have to stop and do something else because I get a little overwelmed by the flood of emotions...
It really is hard to let go...

bajabuddha - 2-16-2018 at 12:16 PM

FB, it is hard to let go, but invigorating when you do. What you think you own you'll find owns YOU. I've fully sold out other than bare essentials twice in my life, and loved the feeling of freedom when all that weight was finally off my shoulders. I came to my current situation with a truck and 24' camp trailer, and ended up buying an empty large house (fixer-upper) that somehow magically grew back to full capacity again. I have had two yard sales here and the 'stuff' keeps growing back.

DOWNSIZE. :light: The more you own the more you have to schlepp around.

fishbuck - 2-16-2018 at 12:31 PM

I know it will be invigorating, liberating.
A clean fresh start.
I want to throw it all away except photos of my family, etc.
I don't really want to remember most of it. But still...

ehall - 2-16-2018 at 03:00 PM

Purge. It always feels good to unload.

woody with a view - 2-16-2018 at 03:13 PM

Take one pot, pan, spaghetti pot and so on. two towels, sheets pillows, etc. call goodwill and let them load it up. leave all your fishing gear and let me know when i can pick it up before goodwill arrives....

fishbuck - 2-16-2018 at 03:18 PM

Ok. Good clarfication. 1 set of things I'll need.
I gotta hang onto that fishing gear...:coolup:

rhintransit - 2-16-2018 at 08:09 PM

It’s hard. I’d suggest a two, or three, step process if you can...take what you can’t bear to leave behind. Store the maybes for awhile. 35-50/ month is little enough to ease the emotional trauma of what has to be a difficult, of welcome, time. No need to be harder on yourself than you have to....

BajaBlanca - 2-16-2018 at 08:49 PM

We brought a lot of our stuff down. It was fun to have a new home with lots of the old home's stuff.

fishbuck - 2-17-2018 at 03:33 AM

Yeah, I will need to have a few familiar things I guess. I have 10 days to sort and save or dump.
I kind of like going to the dump with a load of ... junk.
It's manly and fun to throw heavy stuff off the back of my truck.
Hulk smash!;)

woody with a view - 2-17-2018 at 06:18 AM

Landfills are not the answer. Goodwill or a thrift store.

mtgoat666 - 2-17-2018 at 07:44 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
As I sort through stuff to bring into retirement with me I find myself thinking everything could be useful in baja.
But is it really? And if I were to need a plastic storage box etc. wouldn't such common household items be available in Ensenada or even San Quintin now?
I am guessing there are atleast 10 Segunda (2nd) hand stores in San Quintin valley so I'm guessing plenty of cheap furniture and similar.

Fishy,
You ask A LOT of questions!
Maybe you would be better off in an assisted living facility :light: :lol:

surabi - 2-18-2018 at 12:29 AM

There are few things that are difficult or impossible to find in Mexico, or if you can, they are expensive.
Cast iron frying pans, and other good heavy duty stainless steel cookware.
Good linens i.e. good quality cotton sheets.
Once you live here for awhile, you find out what to bring with you and what can be easily replaced.

fishbuck - 2-18-2018 at 06:38 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Fishy,
You ask A LOT of questions!
Maybe you would be better off in an assisted living facility :light: :lol:

Where you live at right?;)

Yes, I have alot of questions. And alot of nice people have pitched in some good answers.
I have a good plan going because of it too. So thanks everyone!
This is going to be so cool.

fishbuck - 2-18-2018 at 06:45 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Landfills are not the answer. Goodwill or a thrift store.

I knew it had to be bad. It was too much fun.
I've been recycling everything I can. Tons of cardboard and paper.
Lots of metal too.