--LAST ROUTE UPDATE--

Day 1 - Mexicali Desert (staging near Pole Line Road) - Free camping
Day 2 - POLE LINE ROAD [MODERATE] - Free camping
Day 3 - POLE LINE ROAD [MODERATE] - Motel - $$
Day 4 - BEACH DAY - SAN FELIPE - Motel - $$
Day 5 - MATOMI WASH [DIFFICULT] - Beach campo camping - $
Day 6 - PIONEER TRAIL [DIFFICULT] - Motel - $
Day 7 - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE [DIFFICULT] - Motel - $
Day 8 - DRIVING DAY [SAN QUENTIN OR SAN FELIPE] coin toss :lol: - Motel or Free camping
Day 9 - DRIVING DAY USA POE based on coin toss :lol: - Sleep in own bed (Priceless)

Here is the last update for our route. Several drivers are coming in from the USA. One driver is coming from CANADA. Several will be coming from SAN FELIPE, a few from Ensenada and Tijuana making this an International trail event.

Magazine personnel will NOT be along for this run due to their participation in the KING OF THE HAMMERS event preceeding "THE IMPOSSIBLE".

Rich T has a welder on his new LJ:!:
Rich T and Paul W have prerun POLE LINE ROAD and MATOMI WASH :light:
Perry M has prerun POLE LINE ROAD :light:
Rich T has previously run THE PIONEER TRAIL :light:
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE has not been prerun and remains a MYSTERY :!:

LET'S TACKLE THE TRAILS AND SHRED SOME TIRES!! :lol:

[Edited on 2-2-2019 by Ken Cooke]

4x4abc - 2-16-2018 at 07:07 PM

Pioneer Mine road too rough for you?

Ken Cooke - 2-16-2018 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Pioneer Mine road too rough for you?

A 5 hour trail run is long enough per day. Hit the trail at 9 am, break 60-90 minutes for lunch, and stop to set up camp at 3:00 pm.

Mission Impossible offers great driving and camping. La Turquesa is cool. I can't wait to play on Matomi Wash. Pioneer Mine? :?:

ehall - 2-17-2018 at 05:12 AM

I think pioneer mine trail is the one from Punta final to the road that goes from cocos to the coast. Great option.

Udo - 2-17-2018 at 07:52 AM

What vehicles are we allowed to bring?

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
I was thinking about doing a more challenging run in early 2019. Something similar to my 'Baja Grande' 4WD runs from 2005-2010, but more unrelenting, with better food and accommodations along the way, and the kinds of trails that keep out most sensible people.:light:

I will spend my Presidents Day weekend pouring over the Baja Almanac and my old 4WD run notes before posting on this upcoming event. What it will include will be;
1. Matomi wash - Rock crawling
2. La Turquesa - Rock crawling/we don't need no stinkin roads (to Hwy 1)
3. Alfonsinas - We gotta eat and sleep somewhere!
4. Mission Santa Maria "Mission Impossible"
5. El Rosario - We gotta eat and sleep somewhere!

The requirements and monies will be collected at a later date so that our accommodations will be reserved on time. If you back out, the monies will get pooled into the pot to pay for everyone's fish tacos on your dime. Can I say, "FREE FOOD IS INCLUDED??"

Start building up for ++THE IMPOSSIBLE++

TMW - 2-17-2018 at 10:58 AM

I think Paul W just did the Pioneer Mine road plus more.

AKgringo - 2-17-2018 at 11:29 AM

Boy...I can't wait to drive that trail! If you guys in your rock crawlers want a challenge, try getting around my hopelessly high centered Kia in a spot like that.

Ken Cooke - 2-17-2018 at 11:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Here is the thread on the road... 4x4abc photos of it: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82414

Thanks for the background info David.

Ken Cooke - 2-17-2018 at 11:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
What vehicles are we allowed to bring?

Modified 4WD
Tow points front and rear
CB radio and/or HAM radio
Spare gasoline cans
Heavy duty tires with a spare

PaulW - 2-17-2018 at 12:06 PM

The picture is just like it was last month. (1/18/2018). Very slow. Took us till dark to get to LAB (however we did have a 10AM start in San Felipe. My post has the GPS track attached. http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82414&pag...
PW
=======

Here is the Pioneer Mine/Molino de Lacy road in April 2016 (from Rich T):

[Edited on 2-17-2018 by PaulW]

Akula - 2-17-2018 at 09:04 PM

I was thinking about doing a more challenging run in early 2019. Something similar to my 'Baja Grande' 4WD runs from 2005-2010, but more unrelenting, with better food and accommodations along the way, and the kinds of trails that keep out most sensible people.:light:

I will spend my Presidents Day weekend pouring over the Baja Almanac and my old 4WD run notes before posting on this upcoming event. What it will include will be;
1. Matomi wash - Rock crawling
2. La Turquesa - Rock crawling/we don't need no stinkin roads (to Hwy 1)
3. Alfonsinas - We gotta eat and sleep somewhere!
4. Mission Santa Maria "Mission Impossible"
5. El Rosario - We gotta eat and sleep somewhere!

The requirements and monies will be collected at a later date so that our accommodations will be reserved on time. If you back out, the monies will get pooled into the pot to pay for everyone's fish tacos on your dime. Can I say, "FREE FOOD IS INCLUDED??"

Start building up for ++THE IMPOSSIBLE++

Will this be a continuation after doing the Pole Line Road or will this be a separate trip Ken?

Ken Cooke - 5-5-2018 at 08:22 PM

I have a few significant changes to mention. Akula and I are planning the run to take place from February 16, 2019 through approximately February 22nd. If you do not have enough time off from work, you can break from the group on Monday February 18th as we will run the Pole Line Road from The Laguna Salada at Hwy 2 down to the canyons south of Guadalupe Hot Springs and out at Hwy 5 at La Ventana.

From that point, we will drive south to San Felipe where we will restock our supplies and pick up a black diamond trail just outside of San Felipe. From there, we will travel south to Gonzaga Bay to kick back on the bay for a day then either return back up Hwy 5 to the USA or do one last run to Mission Impossible.

I have to return to work on Monday February 25th, so timing will be everything. Maybe we will cut out the extra San Felipe trail.

I'm open to input from all participants.

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by Ken Cooke]

Ken Cooke - 5-5-2018 at 10:33 PM

Hi Ken, what is the Black Diamond Trail?

A serious 1 day rock trail on the outskirts of town. Paul W, Richard and a few guys know about it. It's a black diamond - serious 4x4s only.

AKgringo - 5-6-2018 at 08:51 AM

I don't know if it applies here, but 'Black Diamond' in ski area terms refers to the 'Most Difficult' trails.

The level of difficulty varies from one area to another, but on a big mountain it usually indicates hazards that require above average skills.

There can be several black diamond trails in the same area, and they are posted with signs with the black diamond on them.

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by AKgringo]

David K - 5-6-2018 at 09:05 AM

Great answer AK! I think you got it!!

Ken Cooke - 5-6-2018 at 09:40 AM

Looks like Paul doesn't know what you are talking about either Ken?

Yesterday, I chatted with Akula and we are examining the 4WD trails to run in Baja for February 2019. Here are some ideas that we kicked around.

Akula's idea:
1. Run the Pole Line Road - some rocks, but comfortable climate (not too hot due to elevation on trail).
2. Visit San Felipe, Gonzaga Bay and LA Bay.

Rich T's idea:
1. Run black diamond (most difficult) 4WD trail located near San Felipe. It's challenging, but no longer than one day.
2. Run Pioneer Mine Road.

Ken's ideas:
1. Run Mission Impossible - it's a moderate 4 hour trail with some outstanding scenary and camping opportunities. This can be ran after the Pole Line Road or exclusively.

2. --delete Pioneer Mine Road-- reason: The Pioneer Mine Road (black diamond trail) with it's description sounds really tough. Tough enough that it deserves to be ran exclusively, not in conjunction with any other trail. Just my thoughts.

3. --multi-day trails should be run in the winter - if possible, as my tolerance for direct sunlight gets challenged, as the last Pole Line Run with it's midday road building along 'Bad Hill' was my definition of 'hardcore' and possibly doing that twice in one week doesn't sound like what I am up for (physically and/or mentally).

Take it as you may, this is simply a planning thread to discuss a 3-Day to one week Jeep trek along moderate to most-challenging 4WD trails in Baja California. I plan to stay in Baja for one complete week with Akula (and our respective wives). I want it to be comfortable for our wives as well.

For well-prepared 4wd participants, these ideas are here to discuss, expand on, etc.

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by Ken Cooke]

4x4abc - 5-6-2018 at 06:49 PM

I would consider Pioneer Mine Road easier than Pole Line Road - maybe 3 hours from Punta Final to Coco's. Can be done with Grand Cherokee an 30x9.50 tires

Pole Line Road in JP Magazine (June 2017)

Ken Cooke - 5-6-2018 at 09:54 PM

PaulW - 5-7-2018 at 06:37 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
I would consider Pioneer Mine Road easier than Pole Line Road - maybe 3 hours from Punta Final to Coco's. Can be done with Grand Cherokee an 30x9.50 tires

===
We can disagree. No need for 4low on the pole line. 4Low on Pioneer is necessary to creep over the big boulders. I cannot imagine a Tacoma pickup even coming close to making it on Pioneer like one was successful on Pole line. Time for your do-over on Pioneer because I found some pretty big rocks that we had to pass over.
Having said that your skill level makes it easier with your rig noted. The rest of us need better equipment.

There is still one more difficult path that no one has mentioned. That is the west end of Huatamote. No record of anybody anybody with any kind of rig making it thru since Nora. Now it is a horribly washed out passage. I walked it once and decided I would need some help with winching. Short trip with big drop offs.

BTW Harald, you should find the mini summit to your liking. Your rig would do it just fine. Even without all the rock stacking we had to do for less adequate rigs.

PaulW - 5-7-2018 at 09:08 AM

Advice for Ken:
For easiest passage
Matomi - go from east to west. - easier and avoids overheating in the deep sand going up hill.
Mini summit - go from west to east - required. Not sure going east to west is possible for more than 3 rigs at a time due to all the winching required. Going down hill is always better.
Pioneer - go from north to south. But south to north wont be much different. In that case don't spend any time at Coco's as you will need lots of time on the trail.
Pole Line - go east to west. The trip would include all most of the road, good in case the fence at the north end is more substantial and cannot be bypassed. Disadvantage is the mileage is greater out and back. Top off in San Felipe beginning and end.

TMW - 5-7-2018 at 01:11 PM

Do the Pole Line road east to west then go thru Mikes Sky Ranch out to El Coyote.

TMW - 5-7-2018 at 01:14 PM

Or do the Pole Line road west to east then Arroyo Grande north to south on the SF250 course to Hwy 3 at the Borrego crossing then Mikes S R.

Ken Cooke - 5-7-2018 at 04:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Do the Pole Line road east to west then go thru Mikes Sky Ranch out to El Coyote.

That's the route that JP Magazine and 4LO attempted. At the top of Bad Hill, it can get dicey. I've never run it in that direction before. Could get tippy as you round toward the top. Lose traction or slip sideways, and you might be in for a rollover or worse.

ehall - 5-7-2018 at 04:45 PM

Maybe include rumorosa grade (dirt) in the trip.

TMW - 5-8-2018 at 09:26 AM

The La Rumorosa dirt road is an interesting grade to go down. I've been down it several times but never went up it.

Ken Cooke - 5-9-2018 at 09:22 PM

The La Rumorosa dirt road is an interesting grade to go down. I've been down it several times but never went up it.

I have seen some recent posts showing a trip uphill with Saturnino from Mexicali and Willy from Tijuana. It looks like a fun route.

bajatrailrider - 5-10-2018 at 12:28 PM

If you guys go to Mikes then care to do La Joya route to El Coyote. I can meet you at Mikes guild the way on La Joya route. I don't think any you guys have done that ride. Since your trip looks hard core Jeep run don't think the Nissan could do it too low. On my moto no problem as I said before good run for Jeeps SxS maybe short WB big tires truck with mods. When I get time I will mod the Nissan with 2in body lift and try to fit 285x 75 16 33s.

Akula - 5-16-2018 at 08:52 PM

All the routes look interesting for the adventure. I have to keep in mind that I will have a 1600+ mile drive back home in a daily driven JK. I don't mind some challenging runs, but if it is a day of major winching and grinding over some bigger rocks that might make things a bit more difficult to get my JK back home in one piece. The route that Harald mentioned looks interesting. https://carlosnpainter.smugmug.com/Events/Manly-Men-Baja-201...
I've been encouraged by the wife that we need to end up on the beach for some camping and surf fishing at some point in the trip.

Ken Cooke - 5-19-2018 at 09:05 PM

Day 1-3 Pole Line Road
Day 4 Matomi Wash
Day 5-6 Gonzaga Bay

or

Day 1 Tijuana to El Rosario
Day 2-3 Mission Santa Maria "Mission Impossible"
Day 4-6 LA Bay

[Edited on 5-20-2018 by Ken Cooke]

David K - 5-19-2018 at 09:07 PM

How many days are being planned?

Ken Cooke - 5-19-2018 at 09:10 PM

How many days are being planned?

Roughly one week. I have 9 actual days. Akula has about 7 or so.

David K - 5-19-2018 at 09:52 PM

So, 5 trail driving or relaxing days leaving one for the drive down and one for the drive home, 2 extra if they have 9 days. Lots can be covered!

Ken Cooke - 5-20-2018 at 02:19 PM

Akula is requesting time off from work. I want/need downtime in between work snd the run for rest/recovery. Several people have expressed interest in a Baja run, but Akula and Karen are making the long drive from Canada, so I'm planning around their schedule.

Akula - 5-20-2018 at 08:04 PM

Akula is requesting time off from work. I want/need downtime in between work snd the run for rest/recovery. Several people have expressed interest in a Baja run, but Akula and Karen are making the long drive from Canada, so I'm planning around their schedule.

I'm taking a total of two weeks off Ken. This will give us a bit more freedom to take our time down there.

Ken Cooke - 5-21-2018 at 05:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Akula  

I'm taking a total of two weeks off Ken. This will give us a bit more freedom to take our time down there.

Two weeks sounds good ½ time on the trail and the other half on the beach.

ehall - 6-22-2018 at 01:43 PM

Got me a new ride. Be able to carry alot more beer.

FB_IMG_1529696690977.jpg - 131kB

TMW - 6-22-2018 at 02:04 PM

Nice looking rig, congratulations.

David K - 6-22-2018 at 03:44 PM

Looks good Ed... Let's get her dirty!

Ken Cooke - 6-22-2018 at 09:00 PM

Very nice Jeep Ed!

ehall - 6-23-2018 at 05:48 AM

Thanks guys. It is set up as well as my red tj. Only thing i need to add is a marine radio, tool bag and ice chest.

David K - 6-23-2018 at 07:50 AM

Front and Rear lockers (a Rubicon without the lettering)?

bajatrailrider - 6-23-2018 at 08:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Wow Ed that is one hot looking jeep nice ride.:)

ehall - 6-23-2018 at 11:13 AM

Front and Rear lockers (a Rubicon without the lettering)?

Front and rear E-lockers

ehall - 6-23-2018 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Wow Ed that is one hot looking jeep nice ride.:)[/rquote

Thanks. We have been waiting for the right deal to come along.]

Ken Cooke - 6-23-2018 at 12:06 PM

Ed, an ARB or a Dometic fridge will be great for you and your family over the long run. They cost about 2-3 times what a good ice chest costs ($800) but, my gets used at home daily for chilling mineral water and for use as an additional freezer as the Dometic 65 quart dual zone fridge has a freezer compartment. Perfect for short camping trips.

My CV radio also needs to be replaced with a cab/ham channel unit and a new Firestick antenna.

PaulW - 6-23-2018 at 01:30 PM

Here is my chance to provide some interesting things about off roading in Baja.
Agree about the Dometec. We have a CFX 50 (50l) for our camping trips. Good investment because between camping trips is serves us for extra freezer space. 12v and 110V unit.
We also have a CDR-11, (10.5l) 12volt only for day trips. Fits behind the seat and is for keeping lunch and drinks cool for our regular biweekly desert trips. The 11 has the exact same control features as the 50, which is good to prevent vehicle battery discharge.
Both require an add-on 10A 12V circuit connected directly to the battery.

About radios forget the marine radio because of very low output and limited frequency choices. Get a Ham radio with the mod to add full spectrum use. I have a Yaesu FT-2900R radio, replaced by the latest version FT2980R. I think 10 of the guys I wheel with in Baja are using the 2900R. Great value.
GigaParts also sells the radio with the MARS Mod Level 3 to open up all the frequency spectrum.
Read here about location of antenna for Jeeps
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/here-wh...
Forget about Firestick and go with a conventional VHF whip antenna 5/8 DB with NMO mount. Firestick units are specific for CB radios. Any HAM vendor will fix you up correctly.
Do the above regarding radios and you will be able to talk to all the rest of us who have the proper equipment.

ehall - 6-24-2018 at 10:03 AM

Fridge is a great idea. Thanks for the heads up on the radio. I will check them out.

Ken Cooke - 6-27-2018 at 05:47 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been silent on this thread recently, because I am waiting for my wife's scheduled thyroid procedure next month. She has difficulties dealing with heat and some fatigue, but her condition should turn around later this fall. Regardless, I am planning a week-long trip with her to the TJ-ENS area in the Jeep in late July to check out some taco establishments and to celebrate my 50th birthday. I will keep everyone posted with regard to her eventual thyroid recovery and whether or not she will join me on this adventure.

David K - 6-27-2018 at 06:02 PM

Elizabeth and I are wishing her complete success on the procedure Ken!

advrider - 6-27-2018 at 06:58 PM

I've run and ARB fridge for years, the wife just told me how much she loves that dam think. Pretty much lives in her SUV and she can plug it in and shop when she wants! More info on the new jeep, I'm super tempted to sell my scrambler for a new JK! Getting to where A/C and a hard top would be nicer then the V8 and crazy rock crawling ability..

Ken Cooke - 6-27-2018 at 08:48 PM

Thanks David. I'm sure that she will improve right away.

Advrider - the back of my TJ gets a little cramped. Here is my Dometic 65 quart dual zone fridge with on-board air and the Garvin Wilderness Rack tire carrier open.

ehall - 6-27-2018 at 09:00 PM

Hi everyone,

I have been silent on this thread recently, because I am waiting for my wife's scheduled thyroid procedure next month. She has difficulties dealing with heat and some fatigue, but her condition should turn around later this fall. Regardless, I am planning a week-long trip with her to the TJ-ENS area in the Jeep in late July to check out some taco establishments and to celebrate my 50th birthday. I will keep everyone posted with regard to her eventual thyroid recovery and whether or not she will join me on this adventure.

Hope it all works out and she gets better.

ehall - 6-27-2018 at 09:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
I've run and ARB fridge for years, the wife just told me how much she loves that dam think. Pretty much lives in her SUV and she can plug it in and shop when she wants! More info on the new jeep, I'm super tempted to sell my scrambler for a new JK! Getting to where A/C and a hard top would be nicer then the V8 and crazy rock crawling ability..

Baby steps. I went from a rock crawler cj with no top or windshield to the tj rubicon. Now i stepped up to the jk.

ehall - 6-27-2018 at 09:05 PM

Ad for the jeep i bought. Too much to type.

http://www.virtualjeepclub.com/showthread.php?94074-2008-Jee...

[Edited on 6-28-2018 by ehall]

Ken Cooke - 6-27-2018 at 09:38 PM

That was a buy Ed!

ehall - 6-28-2018 at 04:20 AM

That was a buy Ed!

Yep. He took a big hit on all the extras. Didn't hurt him too much because he already bought a new one.

PaulW - 6-28-2018 at 05:29 AM

Ed, You found a great buy. Impressive specs. A very desirable rig. Congrats.

TMW - 6-28-2018 at 11:01 AM

Ken, wishing all goes well for your wife.

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2018 at 05:42 PM

Ken, wishing all goes well for your wife.

Thank you TW and Ed.

advrider - 6-28-2018 at 06:57 PM

Thanks for the info, you got one heck of a deal on that ride! Anyone looking for a serious street legal, rock crawling v8 powered scrambler? LOL, I see a JK in my future... Two more years and I'll be retired and can play anytime..

bajatrailrider - 6-28-2018 at 07:36 PM

Best wishes to your lovely wife and speedy recover. Take care Ken

Ken Cooke - 6-28-2018 at 10:41 PM

Best wishes to your lovely wife and speedy recover. Take care Ken

Thank you, Larry!

Monies?

NE14Baja - 7-14-2018 at 12:41 PM

Any idea what the cost of the trip requirements will be?
Lodging and group meals? Obviously I’ll take care of my fuel needs.
Sounds like a trip we’d be interested in.
Camping along the trails?

TMW - 7-15-2018 at 11:48 AM

The camping part cost what you bring to eat and drink plus gas. There may be times when everyone may eat at a restaurant, like in San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay. It may be a set down place or a roadside place. Other wise if you stay at a motel before and after the trip. You'll want pesos for gas.

David K - 7-15-2018 at 03:15 PM

On at least one of Ken's group trips, they stayed at a motel in El Rosario. There may be some campground fees if they stay in one.

ehall - 7-15-2018 at 05:58 PM

After keeping track of spending on many trips my average is $100 bucks a day if i am alone and $75 a day if i am splitting cost. This includes insurance, gas. Beer, food and lodging sometimes. It could be done cheaper but i choose not to.

Sounds Good

NE14Baja - 7-15-2018 at 07:43 PM

Thx for the feedback, I’m good with the personal costs for fuel, food, and other expenditures.
I apologize, I should have been more clear in my initial post. I wanted to know how much money was to be collected by Ken prior to the trip.
I always carry extra fuel, water, food and necessary camping gear when traveling in Baja.

Ken Cooke - 7-15-2018 at 10:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by NE14Baja  
Thx for the feedback, I’m good with the personal costs for fuel, food, and other expenditures.
I apologize, I should have been more clear in my initial post. I wanted to know how much money was to be collected by Ken prior to the trip.
I always carry extra fuel, water, food and necessary camping gear when traveling in Baja.

I won't be collecting any monies from participants. Too much bookkeeping would be involved on my part. I will set up lodging for participants to follow through and reserve on their part. I will have more set up as we progress through July into August. Thanks for your interest in this run!

Tourist Visa

Ken Cooke - 7-15-2018 at 10:22 PM

We will need to stop in Mexicali to get Tourist Visas for those that will be traveling to points south of the Pole Line Road (to LA Bay). I will remind and inform everyone more on this later. :!:

Ken Cooke - 7-16-2018 at 04:22 PM

There is a new border crossing at Mexicali (west) now... and the new building is on the left with lots of parking (before you cross the red/green light point) as I understand it from Facebook posting by Mary of Playa Mexico. They told her that the INM office has not moved yet so she had to go a block or two over to the old building at the old crossing. It should be relocated soon. The good news was lots of parking!

I will watch this - maybe grab some Tacos in Mexicali in December. Thanks! :light:

Ken Cooke - 7-17-2018 at 11:21 PM

I uploaded the tentative itinerary to my Google Docs page. PM me with your email address and I will share it with you.

'The Impossible' balances relaxation with challenging 4WD trails. Jeeps will do well on this run - pickup trucks might have a small amount of difficulty. The trails include;

Pole Line Road
Matomi Canyon
Mission Impossible

Our group will only spend 2 nights in hotels - San Felipe and El Rosario

The wives wanted some time at the beach, so there will be a non-driving day in Gonzaga Bay where everyone can go on a boat tour of the bay, paddle board, kayak, go walking or running, fishing, or just eating tacos at Alfonsina's.

Because of climatic conditions, we will avoid camping in canyons (for obvious reasons). We will keep it on the cheap which everyone will appreciate, but some luxuries will include eating at Mama Espinoza Restaurante, the Malecon in San Felipe and cold showers while soaking in the sun.

I will look into making t-shirts, hoodies and stickers for this event. It should be fun!!

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by Ken Cooke]

bajatrailrider - 7-18-2018 at 07:22 AM

I may want to go on this run but since I don't have a Jeep. Skip the boulder hoping days. Run with you guys the other days.

Ken Cooke - 7-18-2018 at 01:23 PM

Suggested hard parts for "The Impossible"

Akula told me last night that he plans on upgrading differential covers for his Jeep, and that might not be a bad idea. I plan on this as my wheeling buddy Bobby had to rescue a Jeep in Big Bear that pried open a stock (steel) differential cover losing valuable differential oil all over the trail.

This is the Differential cover that he plans to upgrade to in time for "The Impossible"

PaulW - 7-18-2018 at 02:01 PM

Heavy diff covers are not for desert like Matomi. What we use is a skid so the thing will slide over the rock. A skid that protects the pinion and u-joint is just as important.

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by PaulW]

Ken Cooke - 7-18-2018 at 02:18 PM

I may want to go on this run but since I don't have a Jeep. Skip the boulder hoping days. Run with you guys the other days.

It will be rugged all of the days we are out there, Larry. Cold nights too. Let me know if you plan on attending.

David K - 7-18-2018 at 02:26 PM

February is very very cold at night but very pleasant by day. Rain on the gulf side is not likely, as it is desert thanks to the sierra.

Here was a really fun Nomad President's Day weekend group Matomi Reunion camp we had at Nuevo Mazatlan with a visit to Shell Island on Saturday and drive to Matomi Canyon on Sunday. It was similar to what we did on Prez Day Weekend in 2001, based from El Camote's place in El Dorado Ranch.

We went to Valle Chico via the Azufre Pass trail, down to the Matomi waterfalls, and then out via Arroyo Matomi to Hwy. 5 and back to Nuevo Mazatlan....
http://vivabaja.com/204

"Impossible" trail communications (from $25)

Ken Cooke - 7-18-2018 at 09:18 PM

Since I am running this 4WD event as a Just Runs 4WD Club run, I have some requirements to follow. As such, HAM radio is required and CB is being nullified as of January 1, 2019.
http://justruns.com/test/2018/03/20/required-equipment-chang...

For the price of a Family Service Radio (FRS), a much better unit can be purchased that will provide superior coverage and communications. The Baofeng UV-5 costs about $25 and provides usage that someone can grow with, rather than quickly grow out of.
https://baofengtech.com/uv-5r

I will begin to work on gaining my HAM licensing. I heard that the test is not very difficult to pass. I will still continue to have a CB radio in my Jeep (which does not require a license of any kind).

While this will be a major setback to your casual dirt road boondocker, anyone who has spent more than 1 day using CB radio knows that trail communication suffers as one travels through canyons and over large distances. The noise (skip) can be intolerable as well. Just throwing this out there, as I want to up my game and stay compliant with the 4WD club that I operate with.

PaulW - 7-19-2018 at 06:45 AM

I have some experience with radios.
The comment to convert the off roaders to 2meter radios still has many pitfalls. Asking the CB guys to convert to 2meter is a questionable concept.
The biggest issue is what band do or should you use. The answer is the HAM 2 meter band of the VHF network requires a license. However, all the radios I know about can be modified to include transmit and receive over the two family radio bands and can include the NOAA band. So what I do for VHF in the USA I turn down my power and use the family band which is open with no license. But, the CB is what everybody uses in the USA. For example, if you go to Moab it is all CB with a few pairs using VHF on their private frequencies. In Baja radio rules are never enforced so the use of very high power is common, and all bands including the marine, commercial, Ham, and family bands are in common use. Most of the race teams that have not converted to Sat-Radio are using 110watt VHF units.
I have been using both CB and 2meter for almost 20 years and I have experienced many of the issues.
In Baja we use the VHF commercial band which as you know it is the same 2meter band. Both systems require proper installation and a good antenna. A feature that gets lost by a lot of the users. The CB system is limited to 5 watts and the result is poor communication except for use the peer to peer use for a trail ride where line of sight is the usual situation.
BTW my fine tuned CB works great for significant distances and my unit is probably better than 80% of my buddies.
The VHF system sure works better for long distances provided you have the necessary power. Of course, the hand held (HH) 2meter unit have 5 watts, and the result is no better than the CB. This is a proven fact. And yes, I have several HH VHF radios with all the bands open, I use it with a mag mount and for sure it is comparable with my solidly installed CB on my Jeep. Expect to pay for a great VHF radio system for your rig. Around $200-250 should be the goal for a top of the line DIY install and tuning including parts.
What we are all using in Baja are Ham and commercial 2 meter units with 25 to 75 watts (50 watt seems to be the most common). The success of the 2meter unit is the proper antenna setup with an NMO mount and a proper SWR tuned whip. The mag mounts are a serious compromise. Read this link for how/where to mount an antenna on a Jeep: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/here-wh... On the Pole line run I attended I monitored the chat on the CB and noticed the poor quality, probably because of poor installation? Antenna tuning and location on the various rigs is most suspect.
As far as communicating in a deep canyon neither CB or a 75 watt VHF unit will perform similarly, but the high power being better. All radio signals are mostly line of sight.
Bottom line is no, I do not have a HAM license and will not be getting one. My CB work great in the USA and in Baja I exclusively use my Ham setup.
Regards.

ehall - 7-19-2018 at 07:27 PM

What frequency we running? I suggest 156.70 mhz which will be on marine 14.

Ken Cooke - 7-19-2018 at 10:49 PM

What frequency we running? I suggest 156.70 mhz which will be on marine 14.

Suggestion sounds good. Let's wait until the week before the run. $25 radios will need to be purchased.

David K - 7-20-2018 at 08:26 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

The comment to convert the off roaders to 2meter radios still has many pitfalls. Asking the CB guys to convert to 2meter is a questionable concept.

The biggest issue is what band do or should you use. The answer is the HAM 2 meter band of the VHF network requires a license. However, all the radios I know about can be modified to include transmit and receive over the two family radio bands and can include the NOAA band. So what I do for VHF in the USA I turn down my power and use the family band which is open with no license. But, the CB is what everybody uses in the USA.

For example, if you go to Moab it is all CB with a few pairs using VHF on their private frequencies. In Baja radio rules are never enforced so the use of very high power is common, and all bands including the marine, commercial, Ham, and family bands are in common use.

Most of the race teams that have not converted to Sat-Radio are using 110watt VHF units.

I have been using both CB and 2meter for almost 20 years and I have experienced many of the issues.

In Baja we use the VHF commercial band which as you know it is the same 2meter band. Both systems require proper installation and a good antenna. A feature that gets lost by a lot of the users. The CB system is limited to 5 watts and the result is poor communication except for use the peer to peer use for a trail ride where line of sight is the usual situation.

BTW my fine tuned CB works great for significant distances and my unit is probably better than 80% of my buddies.

The VHF system sure works better for long distances provided you have the necessary power. Of course, the hand held (HH) 2meter unit have 5 watts, and the result is no better than the CB. This is a proven fact. And yes, I have several HH VHF radios with all the bands open, I use it with a mag mount and for sure it is comparable with my solidly installed CB on my Jeep. Expect to pay for a great VHF radio system for your rig. Around $200-250 should be the goal for a top of the line DIY install and tuning including parts.

What we are all using in Baja are Ham and commercial 2 meter units with 25 to 75 watts (50 watt seems to be the most common). The success of the 2meter unit is the proper antenna setup with an NMO mount and a proper SWR tuned whip. The mag mounts are a serious compromise. Read this link for how/where to mount an antenna on a Jeep: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/here-wh...

On the Pole line run I attended I monitored the chat on the CB and noticed the poor quality, probably because of poor installation? Antenna tuning and location on the various rigs is most suspect.

As far as communicating in a deep canyon neither CB or a 75 watt VHF unit will perform similarly, but the high power being better. All radio signals are mostly line of sight.

Bottom line is no, I do not have a HAM license and will not be getting one. My CB work great in the USA and in Baja I exclusively use my Ham setup.
Regards.

Thany you for this great information, Paul. I added some spacing to make it easier on my eyes to read.

ehall - 7-20-2018 at 01:07 PM

I uploaded the tentative itinerary to my Google Docs page. PM me with your email address and I will share it with you.

'The Impossible' balances relaxation with challenging 4WD trails. Jeeps will do well on this run - pickup trucks might have a small amount of difficulty. The trails include;

Pole Line Road
Matomi Canyon
Mission Impossible

Our group will only spend 2 nights in hotels - San Felipe and El Rosario

The wives wanted some time at the beach, so there will be a non-driving day in Gonzaga Bay where everyone can go on a boat tour of the bay, paddle board, kayak, go walking or running, fishing, or just eating tacos at Alfonsina's.

Because of climatic conditions, we will avoid camping in canyons (for obvious reasons). We will keep it on the cheap which everyone will appreciate, but some luxuries will include eating at Mama Espinoza Restaurante, the Malecon in San Felipe and cold showers while soaking in the sun.

I will look into making t-shirts, hoodies and stickers for this event. It should be fun!!

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by Ken Cooke]

Hey Ken. I don't seem to be able to open the email in google docs. Can you copy and paste it here or to my email please. Thanks

ehall - 7-20-2018 at 01:15 PM

February is very very cold at night but very pleasant by day. Rain on the gulf side is not likely, as it is desert thanks to the sierra.

Here was a really fun Nomad President's Day weekend group Matomi Reunion camp we had at Nuevo Mazatlan with a visit to Shell Island on Saturday and drive to Matomi Canyon on Sunday. It was similar to what we did on Prez Day Weekend in 2001, based from El Camote's place in El Dorado Ranch.

We went to Valle Chico via the Azufre Pass trail, down to the Matomi waterfalls, and then out via Arroyo Matomi to Hwy. 5 and back to Nuevo Mazatlan....
http://vivabaja.com/204

That is a great link David. Thanks. A lot of really cool pictures.

11-6.jpg - 22kB

David K - 7-20-2018 at 02:46 PM

Thanks, Ed, that was a fun trip... my daughter liked going to. Not long after, Georock inviter her to spend a week in Mammoth with her family. It was great fun for her in the snow.

Georock (Suzanne) was a regular here on Nomad, and now, I see her just on Facebook posts.

Ken Cooke - 7-20-2018 at 02:57 PM

The biggest issue is what band do or should you use. The answer is the HAM 2 meter band of the VHF network requires a license. However, all the radios I know about can be modified to include transmit and receive over the two family radio bands and can include the NOAA band. So what I do for VHF in the USA I turn down my power and use the family band which is open with no license. But, the CB is what everybody uses in the USA. For example, if you go to Moab it is all CB with a few pairs using VHF on their private frequencies. In Baja radio rules are never enforced so the use of very high power is common, and all bands including the marine, commercial, Ham, and family bands are in common use. Most of the race teams that have not converted to Sat-Radio are using 110watt VHF units.
What we are all using in Baja are Ham and commercial 2 meter units with 25 to 75 watts (50 watt seems to be the most common). The success of the 2meter unit is the proper antenna setup with an NMO mount and a proper SWR tuned whip. The mag mounts are a serious compromise. Read this link for how/where to mount an antenna on a Jeep: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-cb-ham-radios-128/here-wh... On the Pole line run I attended I monitored the chat on the CB and noticed the poor quality, probably because of poor installation? Antenna tuning and location on the various rigs is most suspect.
Regards.

Thanks for the insight on my radio dilemma, Paul. :yes:

Run Itinerary for Just Runs 4WD Club

Ken Cooke - 7-30-2018 at 04:36 PM

Run Announcement: El Imposible/The Impossible Baja 4WD run 2/16/19-2/24/19

Baja Run: Pole Line Road (Mexicali desert - 3 Days), Matomi Wash (San Felipe desert - 1 Day), Mission Santa Maria “Mission Impossible” (Catavina desert - 2 Days).

Run Leader: Ken Cooke thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com 951.255.1589

Specific Meeting location: 400 Imperial Blvd (CA-Route 111), Calexico, CA, 92231
Date of run: Saturday, February 16th, 2019 to Sunday, February 24th, 2019.
Meeting Time: 10 AM

Meeting Place: Pep Boys parking lot

Departure Time: 10:30 AM

Difficulty Rating 3-

Special equipment: auxilary fuel cans (gerry cans) for Days 1-3 (El Progreso/Hwy 2 to San Felipe). Yank strap in case of “Mission Impossible” swamp stuck. Provisions for up to 3 nights along Pole Line Road. Passport/documentation for reentry into the United States after completion of run. Mexican auto insurance for legal travel across Mexican roads and highways.

Run Type: Bob tail camping run (incl. 2 nights in motel San Felipe and El Rosario)

Ham per 2019 Just Runs regulations

Short wheelbase preferable, but full-size rigs have been documented completing each of the 3 challenging trails.

RSVP Required. RSVP via email at thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com

Group limit: There is a soft limit of 15 vehicles. Generally, before a run of this type participants drop out at a rate of approximately 50% prior to the run. This run will take place rain or shine.

Inspections: Please be prepared to show auto insurance for Mexico, auxilary cans must be empty as importing fuel into Mexico is unlawful, documentation to return to United States for drivers and passengers.

Day 1 - The group will meeting at Pep Boy’s Parking Lot for drivers meeting, radio test. Additional drivers will meet group at Tacos El Morlan #2 after picking up required travel permits which cost about $20/per person. Travel to Cohabuzo Junction area south of Laguna Salada where we will camp out and stage for Day #2. Camp setup at 4 PM.

Day 2 - Cohabuzo Junction area to the historic Baja Pole Line Road - hightlights include travel across sections of the 1942 cobblestone route that was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to establish a telegraph line from Ensenada to San Felipe during World War 2. Camp setup at 4 PM in Canyon Jaquegel just 30 minutes past Basketball Hill.

Day 3 - Canyon Jaquegel to Hwy 5. Our group will travel along the massive Jaquegel (yaa-kay-h’el) following the telegraph route straight out to Hwy 5 near the Laguna Salada. We will drive south about 1 hour to San Felipe where we will find our motel for the night with secure parking and after getting a hot shower, have dinner at George’s Cafe.

Day 4 - San Felipe. After checking out of our motel, we will gas up, have lunch on the malecon before sightseeing in town, then grocery shopping. At 2 PM we will travel south of town near Zoo Road where we will set up camp in the Baja backcountry, staging for the next day near the rocky Matomi Canyon.

Day 5 - We will run the rocky Matomi Wash where Baja 250 racers provide a spectacle year after year. Afterward, we will pick up Hwy 5 near Puertecitos (puer-tay-cee-tos), driving south to Gonzaga Bay. We will find camp along the beach and set up our tents, get showers at Campo Grande and possibly find gasoline - our last possible chance at gas before Catavina.

Day 6 - Gonzaga Bay - Planned downtime with Alfonsina’s providing activities ranging from paddleboarding, kayaking and tours of the bay (for additional charge). Dinner will either be at Alfonsina’s or in camp with your fishing pole and a campfire.

Day 7 - Gonzaga Bay to Catavina/Rancho Santa Ines/Mission Santa Maria - We will rise early and hit the dirt road leading south of town to the legendary Coco’s Corner and Hwy 1. At Laguna Chapala, we will finally point our 4WDs north as we stop for a hot meal in Catavina before tackling the unforgiving “Mission Impossible” trail. The trail starts off innocuously climbing a ridge above Santa Ines before dropping into a valley dotted with boulders and endemic Baja cacti. Then, a deep descent from another mountain ridge places you on the route to Mission Santa Maria - “Mission Impossible”. A row of thick, green foliage obscures the trail where stagnant water pools, contributing to a slick and possibly series of deep water crossings that will test your engine’s intake position as well as tire tread capabilities. One traction adding device such as a limited slip differential is absolutely necessary, while those with locking differentials will opt for their use as tires fight through the slick stuff without having to jump into it to set up an extrication. Our group will set up camp near the Mission - hopefully before dusk.

Day 8 - Mission Santa Maria to El Rosario. From the Mission to Hwy 1, on average it takes 4 hours. We will stop in Catavina for a hot meal (lunch) before driving 80 miles to El Rosario. Our group will check into our hotel rooms before having dinner at the well-known Mama Espinosa’s Restaurant. Gasoline is available in El Rosario. El Rosario to Ensenada is 161 miles. Ensenada to Tecate

Day 9 - El Rosario to Tecate, California (and beyond). Driver’s breakfast will be at 7 a.m. with our group departing El Rosario at 9 am. Travel time will be approximately 6 hours to the US border. We will stop in Ensenada for lunch and hopefully cross the border before dusk. Tacos in Descanso, California will carry us through to I-8 and our subsequent destinations.

Just Runs difficulty rating link

Ken Cooke - 7-30-2018 at 04:53 PM

http://www.justruns.com/files/dif.htm

TMW - 7-30-2018 at 05:06 PM

Sounds like a good plan Ken.

Ken Cooke - 7-30-2018 at 05:24 PM

Invites sent to Facebook group (Baja Pole Line Group), Wrangler Forum, Just Runs 4WD Club. Lots of interest out there for a run of this level. As noted in the trail itinerary, this run will take place rain or shine. If Hwy 1 is damaged, we will return via Hwy 5 and on towards Calexico. Options exist. Staying home is not an option.:cool:

Ken Cooke - 7-31-2018 at 11:23 AM

Some curiosity questions:

When did it become a telegraph line?

Where did you learn the Army Corp of Engineers built it?

Travel Permits? (Tourist Cards) are FREE for 7 days or less, but less hassle would be to get the 6 month one and not have to turn it back in at the border.

No Pioneer Mine Trail run south from Molino de Lacy/Punta Final?

Why would a damaged Hwy. 1 force YOU guys to use Hwy. 5?

I hope you have fun and don't invite any Fords along (Ken get's it)!

My mistake - telephone line not telegraph.

I believe we spoke in depth about the origins of the road construction in 2015 while stopped for lunch just past the cobblestone road along Canon Enmedio. I can research it further, but I have some maintenance work to do to the Jeep (long arm substructure).

No Pioneer Road (this time). I need time to prerun and evaluate the run. I hope to visit Matomi before El Imposible. Pioneer Road would be much further and take more time, etc. Because I am not charging money for these runs, I must cover expenses which can get expensive.

Because of climatic models showing an El Nino forming this winter, rain and the jet stream bringing it to our area should be a concern. Washed out bridges and streams turning into rivers should be expected during the planning stages of this trip. New stories on Google News appear almost daily about the 2018 El Nino. Check it out.

A 6 month travel permit might be a better option for us as our group will be spending 8 days traveling and not just 7. Plus, we will have very little time that last Sunday to stop and turn in a travel permit before continuing on to our border crossing. No Way! That would be like putting street tires on a Rubicon!

Ken Cooke - 7-31-2018 at 11:27 AM

Sounds like a good plan Ken.

Thanks TW! One concern I have is that if we don't respond to social media inquiries during this event, will someone send out a warning that we all disappeared? I hope for us to make human contact every two to three days at the most. InReach and SPOT are both viable options so that 'El Imposible' does not get more (negative) exposure than positive exposure. Regardless, I want everyone (including me) the opportunity to eat a hot meal every 2 days, if possible.

bajatrailrider - 7-31-2018 at 11:52 AM

Dang Ken I need hot meals twice a day.

Ken Cooke - 7-31-2018 at 01:04 PM

Meal preparation takes time. I can make a hot breakfast and a hot dinner, but lunch everyday will be on the go. I am thinking that heating my vegan Morning Star burgers with 10g of Protein each (inside aluminum foil) on the Jeep manifold will be the way to go. That, almonds/peanuts, fruit and black beans will give me the carbs and protein to keep me going between hot meals.

The Dometic Fridge will keep the beans from spoiling as well as the Morning Star burger patties frozen until needed. Fruit only lasts 1 week, unfortunately. So, Leidys and I will be running on fumes by the time we reach El Rosario where we can stock up on more fruit and protein sources while enjoying a warm meal on the road.

'Fear of going'

Ken Cooke - 7-31-2018 at 02:32 PM

Typically, guys that ask these questions are the ones that drop out weeks to days before the trip. I told this fellow that there are plenty of GREAT places in the USA that he can 4 wheel without feeling unsafe. He can also seek help in case of an emergency - most likely with cell phone coverage. :barf:

My reservation for a trip like this is that it is in Mexico. I know many 4 wheelers go there regularly. Do you take any precautions to avoid the bad guys? Am I being overly cautious bc of what I have seen in the press? Do all the hotels have secured parking, you mentioned it for one of them? With a soft top vehicle and then for a trip like this I would need my exterior rack with supplies, it's easy pickings to steal stuff.

- Concerned 4 Wheeler"

TMW - 7-31-2018 at 02:57 PM

Larry I know for a fact you drink cold coffee and eat kangaroo jerky everyday you are on the trail. The only thing hot is when you put the jerky on the engine manifold. Baja is calling.

willardguy - 7-31-2018 at 03:33 PM

Typically, guys that ask these questions are the ones that drop out weeks to days before the trip. I told this fellow that there are plenty of GREAT places in the USA that he can 4 wheel without feeling unsafe. He can also seek help in case of an emergency - most likely with cell phone coverage. :barf:

My reservation for a trip like this is that it is in Mexico. I know many 4 wheelers go there regularly. Do you take any precautions to avoid the bad guys? Am I being overly cautious bc of what I have seen in the press? Do all the hotels have secured parking, you mentioned it for one of them? With a soft top vehicle and then for a trip like this I would need my exterior rack with supplies, it's easy pickings to steal stuff.

- Concerned 4 Wheeler"

Ken did you throw an invite out to Aldo? he's got both wife and baby on the horizon, he just may be interested:light:

Ken Cooke - 7-31-2018 at 04:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

- Concerned 4 Wheeler"

Ken did you throw an invite out to Aldo? he's got both wife and baby on the horizon, he just may be interested:light:

I haven't heard that name. :?:

willardguy - 7-31-2018 at 05:34 PM

- Concerned 4 Wheeler"

Aldo Santini!

Ken Cooke - 7-31-2018 at 07:42 PM

Aldo Santini!

I once traded Jeep parts to Aldo Santini for an original Tomayo painting. Very beautiful painting, btw.

Akula - 7-31-2018 at 10:09 PM

Heavy diff covers are not for desert like Matomi. What we use is a skid so the thing will slide over the rock. A skid that protects the pinion and u-joint is just as important.

[Edited on 7-18-2018 by PaulW]

I've already have the AEV diff skid installed as well as an ARB engine/trans skid. I'm getting the diff covers to keep anything from punching a hole in the diffs.
https://www.aev-conversions.com/product/jk-slider-differenti...

Pages:  1    3  4