BajaNomad

"THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE

Pages:  1    3  

advrider - 10-9-2018 at 08:01 PM

Man that is nice! I'm getting closer to selling my Rock crawler for one!

ehall - 10-9-2018 at 08:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

Thanks. I think I will put some acos coil spring adjusters to lift it about 2 inches . Get the belly up a little.

Ken Cooke - 10-9-2018 at 09:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
Quote: Originally posted by advrider  

Thanks. I think I will put some acos coil spring adjusters to lift it about 2 inches . Get the belly up a little.

Ed, I envy your interior space. Those tires look like the will manage well in a post-Rosa Baja region.

PaulW - 10-10-2018 at 06:25 AM

Nice rig Ed.
Did not forget you. I have to dig up the freq list for you. I will send you a pic of my rig at that time.

John Harper - 10-10-2018 at 07:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Two "Davids" in San Diego?

Very common name. Maybe the most common. Common man. Sort of a bible thumper name, the famous bible guy was some Hebrew dude, had some kind of dispute with a big guy named Goliath.

Not really. I have not seen a Bill, Dave, Fred, Tom, John, Tim, or Jeff on my high school attendance rosters for years. These names are dying off.

Remember, today everyone's kid is "special" and have their own "special" names today. It's very odd, not like the old days, 666.

John

David K - 10-10-2018 at 11:35 PM

If I could go, it would be three in San Diego (County)... and you have my permission to add a K to my name! ;)

I hope you will come by and see the new and improved Baja Room at the new house, once we are unpacked! I am closer to both your house and I-15 than before!

Ken Cooke - 10-11-2018 at 08:26 AM

Thanks for the invite David K. I was told that Matomi narrows would not be a suitable trail for pickup trucks, so you're ahead by not damaging your truck on such a rocky trail.

David K - 10-11-2018 at 08:40 AM

Matomi Narrows has been suitable many times for my three Tacomas and even my Subaru 4WD wagons (1978 to 2007), but not now, not until the sand returns.

1979: http://www.vivabaja.com/album/page5.html
2001: http://www.vivabaja.com/matomi/
2004: http://www.vivabaja.com/204/
2006: http://vivabaja.com/618/page4.html
2017:

[Edited on 10-11-2018 by David K]

PaulW - 10-11-2018 at 09:37 AM

Matomi is ever changing. Lots of flooding in San Felipe and El Dorado where the road damage was extensive.
So far not Matomi report since the storm just happened. Maybe one more storm is in the wings?
I am sure after the December holidays we can get a fresh report.

Ken Cooke - 10-13-2018 at 09:28 AM

Stay tuned. I am working on the official website page. It will feature all of the merchandise available for this event!

Ken Cooke - 10-16-2018 at 06:43 PM

Preliminary designs for El Imposible 2019

IMG_20181016_184041.jpg - 53kBIMG_20181016_184223.jpg - 80kB

Ken Cooke - 11-4-2018 at 07:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
[Update]

Day 1 - Mexicali Desert (staging near Pole Line Road)
Day 2 - Pole Line Road [difficult]
Day 3 - Pole Line Road [difficult]
Day 4 - San Felipe (sight seeing along the Malecon, groceries, staging near Matomi wash
Day 5 - Matomi Wash [difficult]
Day 6 - *non-driving day in Gonzaga Bay* (paddle boarding, boat tours, kayaking set up by Alfonsina's)
Day 7 - Gonzaga to Mission Impossible [difficult]
Day 8 - Mission Impossible to El Rosario [difficult]
Day 9 - El Rosario to USA (Tecate)

Due to damaged Bridges and roads reduced to rubble, this event schedule will need some 'trimming'. Gonzaga to Cataviña to Tecate Is looking less possible at this point. But, that warm weather and coastal views should be a real treat after running the canyon trails we have planned. Just looking ahead 3 months..

David K - 11-4-2018 at 12:33 PM

A drone video was just posted showing Highway 5 south of Puertecitos as easy driving with detours around washed-out bridges and missing roadbed being well-graded.

Ken Cooke - 11-4-2018 at 01:45 PM

A drone video was just posted showing Highway 5 south of Puertecitos as easy driving with detours around washed-out bridges and missing roadbed being well-graded.

One issue will be obtaining gasoline and food in San Luis Gonzaga and additional travel times south along the Hwy 5. I am sure so trucks that deliver goods and merchandise will not be able to maneuver said detours. Not until the roads are fully repaired.

David K - 11-4-2018 at 05:50 PM

Ken, semis are traveling it now and were not long after the floods. I am sure if you ask before your trip, some Nomad will have been at Gonzaga to report if the station is open. The fuel arrived from the south on the dirt Chapala road before they paved the road in from San Felipe in late 2013.

ehall - 11-4-2018 at 05:55 PM

Ken, semis are traveling it now and were not long after the floods. I am sure if you ask before your trip, some Nomad will have been at Gonzaga to report if the station is open. The fuel arrived from the south on the dirt Chapala road before they paved the road in from San Felipe in late 2013.

I will be driving by the first week of December.

HWY 5 Road condition

rich t - 11-4-2018 at 07:18 PM

Ken, I just drove to Gonzaga and back from San Felipe with a 1 ton truck, 10 cabover Camper pulling a 15 foot trailer with a 800 RZR and a 14 foot boat, it took 3 1/2 hours, the bypasses are all good, there is alot of road damage but the bypasses are all good. The gas station in Gonzaga was open, the hwy to San Felipe has no damage, where you come out of Matomi on hwy 5 looks great, it is all sand from what can be seen from the road, the Baja 1000 is coming out that way so that portion should be fine, when we go back around the 1st of the year Paul and I will pre run Matomi and Crazy Horse and give you an update, I would guess it will be years before they fix all the damage but it is better than it was 16 years ago. For you fishermen I caught a 20 pound Dorado by La Poma, pretty unusual to see them in that close.

Ken Cooke - 11-4-2018 at 09:20 PM

Driving the gasoline in from Hwy 1 makes sense David.

Thanks for the prerun Rich!

Ken Cooke - 11-25-2018 at 10:28 PM

Thanks to Rich T. for solving the missing link!

I had promised my wife that we wouldn't cut through that angry rancheros property this time. Rich shared the track to get us down the wash and to the White Tank landmark. So, no sneaking!

ehall - 11-26-2018 at 07:04 AM

I had promised my wife that we wouldn't cut through that angry rancheros property this time. Rich shared the track to get us down the wash and to the White Tank landmark. So, no sneaking!

Good job Rich.

PaulW - 11-26-2018 at 08:33 AM

BTW, Drove westbound thru Huatamote and back via east valley road. The usual difficult place where Parral joins Huatamote -slow and easy passage. Another one further east that had a few rocks to drive around.
Overall easier passage than last year.

4x4abc - 11-26-2018 at 09:31 AM

what link did Rich provide?
Can't find any in the posts

David K - 11-26-2018 at 09:43 AM

I had promised my wife that we wouldn't cut through that angry rancheros property this time. Rich shared the track to get us down the wash and to the White Tank landmark. So, no sneaking!g!

Is this the north/south road that Neal Johns illustrated on his Baja Almanac, and I copied onto mine when I was at Neal's place ("Down Easy")?

4x4abc - 11-26-2018 at 11:12 AM

thanks David!
I have the track logs if anyone wants them

PaulW - 11-26-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
thanks David!
I have the track logs if anyone wants them

====
Please provide the track logs. Thanks.

rich t - 11-26-2018 at 05:55 PM

The track I gave Ken has not been proven to be good yet, it is possibly a route that we can try. On the last Pole Line trip I noticed that there were many tracks in the wash out of Mano Jct. On the map that we use it shows the wash going almost to the road that leads to the white Water Tank, I drew in a very short section and connected the two, it also looks like it goes far enough to the east of the Ranchers place that it should not be an issue, maybe when we get to San Felipe Jan 3 we can check it.

David K - 11-26-2018 at 05:56 PM

Paul, it shouldn't matter in this case, but Neal liked to use NDS Mexico for the map datum (as it matched the Baja Almanac) rather than the standard factory datum (WGS 84) that Google Earth also uses.

rich t - 11-26-2018 at 06:24 PM

This is the track I sent Ken

Attachment: Mano jct to Water Tank.gpx (7kB)
This file has been downloaded 179 times

PaulW - 11-26-2018 at 07:24 PM

Paul, it shouldn't matter in this case, but Neal liked to use NDS Mexico for the map datum (as it matched the Baja Almanac) rather than the standard factory datum (WGS 84) that Google Earth also uses.

===
Darn, I knew that and I have SW to switch back and forth and forgot to convert. You are correct that for the scale it may be close enough to get the overall relationship of where Enmedio wash goes. I wont fix it for now. Interesting My favorite track uses Siaz is very close to Enmedia wash. It does not surprise me that Niels start point (WP NJ) is near the traditional track west of Siaz.
I have Rich's maps, but have not figured out how to convert the map to GE. A work in progress. My last resort will be to just drive that track using WGS84.

4x4abc - 11-26-2018 at 07:26 PM

here is what I have:
east-access.kmz

4x4abc - 11-26-2018 at 07:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

===

I have Rich's maps, but have not figured out how to convert the map to GE. A work in progress. My last resort will be to just drive that track using WGS84.

no need to convert - you can open any gpx file with GE

only if you want to use kmz or kml files out of Google Earth somewhere else, you may need to convert.
But that is easy: https://www.gpsbabel.org/

Paul Rich Harald Track Mono Jct 2 W Tank

PaulW - 11-26-2018 at 07:51 PM

Here are all the tracks. Same issue as before with Datum on Neil's coords.
Blue is Harald"s, Yellow is Rich's. Others are mine.

Rich, Harald Paup track to WT.jpg - 180kB

PaulW - 11-26-2018 at 07:55 PM

Thanks for the track. Replace my previous image. See my merged GE image above.

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

===

no need to convert - you can open any gpx file with GE

only if you want to use kmz or kml files out of Google Earth somewhere else, you may need to convert.
But that is easy: https://www.gpsbabel.org/

Ken Cooke - 12-3-2018 at 11:07 PM

Front (top)
Bottom (back)

No pricing has been set. I will have a better idea after I get my limited run together and contact the people who might still be going (due to the current Trump border threat).

IMG_20181203_220324.jpg - 44kB

rich t - 12-4-2018 at 01:47 PM

Ken, I am in, so is Harvey, Jerry, and pretty sure Paul is. We don't have to leave until May so it should all be worked out by then.

Ken Cooke - 12-4-2018 at 09:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
Ken, I am in, so is Harvey, Jerry, and pretty sure Paul is. We don't have to leave until May so it should all be worked out by then.

Nice - I have to revamp the radios, brakes, links and exhaust, but other than that, we're about 9 weeks out.

[Edited on 12-5-2018 by Ken Cooke]

rich t - 12-5-2018 at 08:40 AM

I am picking up a new Jeep for Baja, will also be busy getting it ready before we head to Baja.

PaulW - 12-5-2018 at 09:12 AM

Lotsa mods?
Enjoy the new ride
LJ I hear

David K - 12-5-2018 at 04:57 PM

I hope a Nomad buys the new Jeep Gladiator pickup and tests to see if it is Baja Proven!

Ken Cooke - 12-5-2018 at 09:39 PM

Here's the one you want, David - The TJ Unlimited (LJ)

47084996_10217918207411775_7519250909268803584_n.jpg - 100kB

David K - 12-6-2018 at 10:08 AM

I don't want one, as I am a former and recovering Jeep owner!
I am just HAPPY to see Jeep returning to the pickup truck world. The LJ was nice, but having 4 doors and room for friends or family is really a good deal or just more 'dust-free' storage in the back seat area.
The new Gladiator is available (factory-stock) with 33" tires and a front camera to help navigate when you don't have a spotter. The Rubicon package is the model I would choose, naturally.
Ken, can you put up an image of a 4-door Tacoma OffRoad 4x4, 5 ft. bed, with the same figures as the ones above, for comparison?
Thanks!

Ken Cooke - 12-18-2018 at 09:16 PM

I don't want one, as I am a former and recovering Jeep owner!
I am just HAPPY to see Jeep returning to the pickup truck world. The LJ was nice, but having 4 doors and room for friends or family is really a good deal or just more 'dust-free' storage in the back seat area.
The new Gladiator is available (factory-stock) with 33" tires and a front camera to help navigate when you don't have a spotter. The Rubicon package is the model I would choose, naturally.
Ken, can you put up an image of a 4-door Tacoma OffRoad 4x4, 5 ft. bed, with the same figures as the ones above, for comparison?
Thanks!

Looking at the current batch of cars, crossovers and trucks, this is one of the bright spots in consumer motoring. Low air dams, hopped up cars on minivan chassis's, and large wheels with skinny tires are the rage now. The Gladiator looks like a fun vehicle with real capabilities. David, I know that one Jeep product 4 decades ago traumatized you, but these Gladiators look more fun than a Tacoma. My Dad (RIP) also owned a full-sized Cherokee. He serviced it himself (as I also do), but it guzzled gas with it's full-time 4wd drivetrain and 360 v8.

After looking at the competition, I will likely consider a Gladiator. What turns me off of new Jeeps are the pretentious, adventure types that refuse to wave back at drivers in anything older than a 2007 JK Unlimited Rubicon. Can you say $Phony$??

But, these people will admire/want to be your friend for 5-6 years while the Jeep is still current. Driving my 2003½ Jeep Rubicon each day is still a treat. I'm considering taking the top off with the 80°F weather for the next couple of days!

David K - 12-19-2018 at 09:59 AM

Good for you Ken, keep on Jeep'n!
My Mexican-made 2010 Tacoma will be my final vehicle but I will enjoy seeing all new Jeep products and dream of restoring 1940's Willys-Overland 4x4s if I come into big money!

Ken Cooke - 12-19-2018 at 04:24 PM

Good for you Ken, keep on Jeep'n!
My Mexican-made 2010 Tacoma will be my final vehicle but I will enjoy seeing all new Jeep products and dream of restoring 1940's Willys-Overland 4x4s if I come into big money!

I know where you can modify your 2010!!

IMG_20181219_152321.jpg - 103kB

David K - 12-19-2018 at 04:47 PM

LOL, no thanks on that. If I can get to Mission Santa María with my IFS truck, I am good! Cameron's new off-road fab shop, Baja HQ in San Juan Capistrano, does Toyota mods.

Ken Cooke - 12-22-2018 at 11:15 PM

Check the Baja Classifieds thread: t-shirt and hoodie orders are going out on December 30th.

Link to t-shirt/hoodie thread:
http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=91764

Jeep prep

Ken Cooke - 12-22-2018 at 11:27 PM

The super flex joint on my rear triangulated link system failed, so I'm in the shop waiting for the part to be replaced.

My CB radio outlasted it welcome, so will get replaced with a Cobra CB. I might stick with a Handheld VHF unit for now.

My air lines aren't connected to the locking differentials and will need to be plugged into the lockers.

The exhaust that routes around the rear trilink suspension is getting replaced with a quieter cat back system that doesn't drone.

New discs and shoes by EBC are going on to replace the original discs with 190,000 miles.

The original clutch? Not sure if it stays or gets replaced. It shifts like new. :?:

John Harper - 12-23-2018 at 06:18 AM

New discs and shoes by EBC are going on to replace the original discs with 190,000 miles.

I love the EBC pads that I've put on both my Rangers. Far outlast any other brand I've tried, excellent stopping.

John

[Edited on 12-23-2018 by John Harper]

Ken Cooke - 12-30-2018 at 10:47 AM

My Rubicon Express rear triangulated upper link system had a bad heim joint. It's been replaced under warranty and now the Jeep rides just like new!

Ken Cooke - 12-30-2018 at 10:54 AM

Please let me know via u2u if you would like to order a t-shirt or a hoodie. Prices are in the Baja Classifieds thread.

I can either hand deliver into Playas de Tijuana or mail to the continental United States. Funds payable through PayPal.

IMG_20181016_184250.jpg - 73kBIMG_20181016_184223.jpg - 67kB

ehall - 1-8-2019 at 06:07 PM

Anyone still in? Looking good for me so far.

David K - 1-9-2019 at 12:44 AM

I am sure it will be memorable, like the Pole Line trip we did with Ken in 2015!

Do you have an inReach or Spot? I can share where you guys are here on Nomad like I do for Graham.

ehall - 1-9-2019 at 10:35 AM

I am sure it will be memorable, like the Pole Line trip we did with Ken in 2015!

Do you have an inReach or Spot? I can share where you guys are here on Nomad like I do for Graham.

Sent it to your email. Share what ever you want.

David K - 1-9-2019 at 01:23 PM

Thank Ed, I will try to do that so all of Baja Nomad can enjoy being along for the ride, as it were!

EDIT: I may be in Baja myself some of those days, so I will update when I get back north.

[Edited on 1-9-2019 by David K]

Nextlevelbaja - 1-9-2019 at 09:04 PM

Sounds like a fun trip. I am very interested in the pioneer trail and love the black diamond stuff.

David K - 1-12-2019 at 04:54 PM

Is JT the new Gladiator model name (like JK is the Wrangler) or is that just your abbreviation for Jeep Truck?

Ken Cooke - 1-13-2019 at 05:58 AM

Perry M. from Yuma, Az will be attending 'El Imposible' with another driver/friend. He ran the Pole Line Road in November and reports that it was passable going east to west.

Larry - Bajatrailrider texted my wife yesterday with the news that his section of Baja is completely soaked from recent rains. We will skip the Mission Impossible trail due to my concerns of a deep water crossing at the swamp and possibly COLD nighttime temperatures.

David - JT might be the designated for the Jeep pickup. It sure is a beauty.

ehall - 1-20-2019 at 05:26 AM

Hey Ken. Found out yesterday that I wont be able to make this trip.

Ken Cooke - 1-20-2019 at 11:59 AM

Sorry you can't make the run, Ed. I'll still have your tshirt.

ehall - 1-22-2019 at 04:43 AM

Sorry you can't make the run, Ed. I'll still have your tshirt.

PM me a total with shipping and your paypal .

Ken Cooke - 1-26-2019 at 11:36 AM

PM me a total with shipping and your paypal .
The week of February 11th, the shirts/hoodies will arrive, Ed. I'll be in contact.

Updated itinerary below. Thanks to Rich T., Paul W., Chloe, and Saturnino for prerunning the trail. See me about your complimentary t-shirt.

Run Announcement: El Imposible/The Impossible Baja 4WD run 2/16/19-2/24/19

Baja Run: Pole Line Road (Mexicali desert - 3 Days), Matomi Wash (San Felipe desert - 1 Day), Pioneer Trail (Gonzaga/Calamajue desert - 1-2 Days (estimated)).

Run Leader: Ken Cooke thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com 951.255.1589

Specific Meeting location: 400 Imperial Blvd (CA-Route 111), Calexico, CA, 92231

Date of run: Saturday, February 16th, 2019 to Sunday, February 24th, 2019.

Meeting Time: 10 AM

Meeting Place: Pep Boys parking lot

Departure Time: 10:30 AM

Difficulty Rating 3-

Special equipment: auxiliary fuel cans (gerry cans) for Days 1-3 (El Progreso/Hwy 2 to San Felipe). Yank strap in case of “Mission Impossible” swamp stuck. Provisions for up to 3 nights along Pole Line Road. Passport/documentation for reentry into the United States after completion of run. Mexican auto insurance for legal travel across Mexican roads and highways.

Run Type: Bob tail camping run (incl. 2-3 nights in motel San Felipe - 2 nights after Pole Line Road, 1 night on way back to border).

Communications: Ham per 2019 Just Runs regulations and CB radio

Short wheelbase preferable, but full-size Broncos have made it through the Pole Line Road. Matomi is another story. Matomi will be optional as one other driver will make it a beach day while the rest of us tackle this black diamond Baja trail.

RSVP Required. RSVP via email at thedesertoutlaw@yahoo.com

Group limit: There is a soft limit of 15 vehicles. Generally, before a run of this type participants drop out at a rate of approximately 50%. This run will take place rain or shine.

Inspections: Please be prepared to show auto insurance for Mexico, auxiliary cans must be empty as importing fuel into Mexico is unlawful, documentation to return to United States for drivers and passengers.

Day 1 - 10 AM drivers meeting at Pep Boy's Parking lot. Brunch at Tacos El Morlan #2. Pole Line Road Day 1 - staging near Mano Junction.

Day 2 - Pole Line Road Day 2 - highlights include travel across sections of the 1942 cobblestone route that was built by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers to establish a telegraph line from Ensenada to San Felipe during World War 2.

Day 3 - Canyon Jaquegel to Hwy 5. Our group will travel along the massive Jaquegel (yaa-kay-h’el) following the telegraph route straight out to Hwy 5 near the Laguna Salada. We will drive south about 1 hour to San Felipe where we will find our motel for the night with secure parking and after getting a hot shower, have dinner in town. Motel Night #1

Day 4 - San Felipe. Breakfast at 10 AM along the Malecon, sightseeing, trip to the beach, grocery shopping at Calimax in town. Motel Night #2

Day 5 - San Felipe. Early morning run - We will run the rocky Matomi Wash where Baja 250 racers provide a spectacle year after year. Afterward, we will pick up Hwy 5 near Puertecitos, driving south to Gonzaga Bay. We will find camp along the beach ($20/night) and set up our tents, get showers at Campo Grande and gas up.

Day 6 - Gonzaga Bay - Planned downtime with Alfonsina’s providing activities ranging from paddleboarding, kayaking and tours of the bay (for additional charge). Dinner will either be at one of the fine eateries in Gonzaga Bay or in camp with your fishing pole and a campfire.

Day 7 - Gonzaga Bay - Pioneer Trail. This trail will be my first time. It is scenic and not challenging at all. 4WD might not be needed.

Day 8 - Gonzaga Bay to San Felipe. We will take a casual drive back up Hwy 5 into San Felipe. Clean up our vehicles, get a hot meal, check into our motel and have a restful night before driving back into Mexicali the next morning.

Day 9 - San Felipe to Mexicali. We will have a group breakfast at 9 AM before leaving for Calexico. Stop in Mexicali for a quick lunch on the outskirts of town and hopefully cross into USA before 3 PM.

David K - 1-26-2019 at 12:11 PM

So no Mission Santa María (Mission Impossible)?
I think you are wrong about Pioneer Mine Trail being 2WD or not challenging but agree in your plan to make that the final destination and enjoying some non-driving time at San Felipe and Gonzaga Bay. You do pop out just a few miles north of Coco's Corner, so will you visit there before heading back on Hwy. 5 to Gonzaga?

Pioneer Mine Trail (rich t photo from 2016. See more at: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=82843 )

Have a lot of fun Ken!

Ken Cooke - 1-26-2019 at 01:30 PM

I updated the trip itinerary on Just Runs 4WD club's site. The Pioneer Trail is listed as MOST DIFFICULT with 1 TAD limited slip and/or locking differential required. The previous images for the hoodies/t-shirts and stickers show that it is 'easy'.

Mission Santa Maria is listed, but due to this being a moderate El Niño year with a healthy series of rains, I don't want to risk us encountering a deep water/mud big at the swamp on our way to Mission Santa Maria. Some of the guys I spoke with also feel the same way. Victor with a JK on 38" tires looked almost hesitant when I mentioned there might be mud in the swamp!

We can save the Mission for another year.
Our trek will take us back up Hwy 5 when the run is concluded.
A Moderate run (Pole Line Road) and two MOST DIFFICULT runs will be fine along with a few days spent beach combing and relaxing.

Ken Cooke - 1-29-2019 at 06:41 AM

Please U2U me for hotel reservations. I am currently reserving rooms for two nights in San Felipe during our event.

Ken Cooke - 1-30-2019 at 11:40 AM

We might check out the MISSION IMPOSSIBLE trail after all. David Y. isn't afraid of getting a little water on his 4 Runner!:lol:

I'll watch from THIS SIDE of the swamp! It's going to be interesting..

rich t - 1-30-2019 at 11:55 AM

Ken, You can drive up the window maker and park, if you want to see the Mission walk in from there, we did that a few years ago when there was to much water.

David K - 1-30-2019 at 12:08 PM

The Widowmaker (not window) ;) is just over 1 mile from the mission, and that is the toughest mile as it includes the Widowmaker grade, the bog (underwater 1/2 mile) some very deep dips just as you near the mission. The bog was the only place we had to help the one vehicle that did not have a rear locker or traction control (an older 4Runner).

Here is a road log of the entire driveable road:

ROAD LOG
0.0 Rancho Santa Ynez, take road through left gate, north of ranch.
0.9 FORK, go left/ uphill.
1.8 Deep Gully, 4WD climb out (if this scares you, go back!).
2.4 Rock pile, a road to left, go straight/ right fork.
4.7 Cement monument off to left (tracks continue past monument).
5.6 Arroyo crossing with palms.
9.9 Peninsular Divide, view of Punta Final on the gulf.
13.3 Top of the 'Widowmaker' grade.
14.4 MISION SANTA MARIA
15.4 Road enters sandy Arroyo Santa Maria, after very steep downgrade.
15.7 Turn left, out of arroyo (may be hidden by plants). Tracks ahead in arroyo end in 1/4 mile.
15.9 El Camino Real climbs to the left, up hillside. The mission trail stays out of the canyon, along the north ridge and returns to the arroyo at the east end of the canyon.
16.0 Roadbed washed out. Park and hike on to end of bulldozed grade to see petroglyphs, canyon view, Indian trail to canyon bottom.

rich t - 1-30-2019 at 07:38 PM

David it was a typo, We went in after the big hurricane in 2014 I believe and when the water went over the hood we backed out of the swamp and walked in the next day to the Mission, the wind blew so hard that night it knocked our tents over, that was the year that the Cherokee had just gone of the cliff, it was still in tact and was complete except some one had pulled the bucket seats out of it and they were at the top of the hill.

David K - 1-31-2019 at 12:16 AM

Rough trip! After the heavy 2010 rains (that took out so many bridges on Hwy. 1) we went in with the big Nomad group... water in the bog was up to the doors and beyond... 2-3 ft. deep.

Great great trip of amigos... even with Neal Johns losing the rear diff under that heavy camper. http://vivabaja.com/msm2010/

Ken Cooke - 1-31-2019 at 11:21 AM

Victor's JK Rubicon on 38's with a snorkle and 7" of lift wants to chase David Y's lifted 4 Runner through the formidable SWAMP in case he gets stuck. It's going to be a good show!

Memories... from almost 9 years ago...

David K - 1-31-2019 at 06:08 PM

Going to Mission Santa María, less than a mile from the mission is the BOG. These following photos are when we came back out. The video below the photos was going in...

The water is deep!

Steve brings the tow strap back for his 4Runner that needs a pull, as it doesn't have a rear locker or off-road tires. He did so well staying dry until the last palm tree 'pushed him' in!

Art's 4WD motorhome is a beast!

Videos... coming down the Widowmaker (from HBMurphy):

The BOG:

Ken Cooke - 2-1-2019 at 09:51 PM

Thanks for the photos and video David. This run will be a total blast.:bounce:

David K - 2-2-2019 at 12:14 AM

You are welcome Ken!
I hope you guys have a BLAST!!!

FYI, I will be at Baja Cactus on Sunday night of President's Day weekend (will not have my truck). Should you be in El Rosario the same time. I learned that Isela Osuna's sister now operates the Sinahi Restaurant in town, so I hope to try it out. We had some good meals there in the past when Primo ran it. Isela is the mother of the little girl (Itzel) that had the open heart surgery Nomads did the fundraiser for some years ago: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=51629

Ken Cooke - 2-2-2019 at 12:38 AM

Sunday #1 - Pole Line Road
Sunday #2 - Back home

David K - 2-2-2019 at 01:56 AM

Yes, back home from Mission Santa María so you will be passing through El Rosario... I just thought there was a slight chance of seeing each other. :biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2019 at 03:47 AM

Ken, You can drive up the window maker and park, if you want to see the Mission walk in from there, we did that a few years ago when there was to much water.

Walking a couple miles is good for health :light:

Ken Cooke - 2-2-2019 at 11:37 AM

I have a route that I walk every day after work. 1 mile in about 20 minutes. The problem is the swamp which is full of water and infected mosquitoes. I will take wellness walks each evening on this trip to take advantage of the scenery and time off from work. Thanks for the advice!

Ken Cooke - 2-2-2019 at 11:43 AM

Yes, back home from Mission Santa María so you will be passing through El Rosario... I just thought there was a slight chance of seeing each other. :biggrin:

I'm a little concerned about several things involving Hwy 1. They are;

Time - ~12 hours (in my Jeep) to San Ysidro POE. Canadian citizens will not be able to use ReadyLane. They'll be unhappy with the long wait times there.

Construction (Time) - Tie ups through Ensenada will slow our group down as well.

Weather (Time) - Traveling through Tecate could be hit or miss with winter storms that keep brewing over the Pacific.

Weather (Cold) - Leidys has been battling a lung infection the past month. She is coughing again, and cold weather is not our friend at the moment. Hwy 5 is a shorter distance and may allow us to return to the USA in a shorter time than San Ysidro POE or Tecate POE. Just a thought. If we dont run to Old Mill the night of the 23rd, it will be San Felipe instead.

David K - 2-2-2019 at 12:07 PM

Why Tijuana? Take Hwy. 3 from El Sauzal to Tecate... Same distance as to Tijuana but a much mellower border and often with little wait. Just the drive west to I-15 on Hwy. 94 from there.
The construction near Santo Tomas can't be any worse than the detour from Matomi to Puertecitos and all the bridge detours and the unfinished road to Chapala. Just food for thought, Ken.

willardguy - 2-2-2019 at 12:18 PM

yesterday there was probably 20 well equipped Jeeps amassed at Popotla and blvd2000 getting ready to head out......I thought for sure it was you guys! have fun!

Ken Cooke - 2-2-2019 at 12:48 PM

Why Tijuana? Take Hwy. 3 from El Sauzal to Tecate... Same distance as to Tijuana but a much mellower border and often with little wait. Just the drive west to I-15 on Hwy. 94 from there.
The construction near Santo Tomas can't be any worse than the detour from Matomi to Puertecitos and all the bridge detours and the unfinished road to Chapala. Just food for thought, Ken.

21 and 22 Febrero - Cataviña área
23 Febrero - San Quentin or San Felipe area
24 Febrero - USA by noon is the plan :light:

Ken Cooke - 2-2-2019 at 01:23 PM

--LAST ROUTE UPDATE--

Day 1 - Mexicali Desert (staging near Pole Line Road) - Free camping
Day 2 - POLE LINE ROAD [MODERATE] - Free camping
Day 3 - POLE LINE ROAD [MODERATE] - Motel - $$
Day 4 - BEACH DAY - SAN FELIPE - Motel - $$
Day 5 - MATOMI WASH [DIFFICULT] - Beach campo camping - $
Day 6 - PIONEER TRAIL [DIFFICULT] - Motel - $
Day 7 - MISSION IMPOSSIBLE [DIFFICULT] - Motel - $
Day 8 - DRIVING DAY [SAN QUENTIN OR SAN FELIPE] coin toss :lol: - Motel or Free camping
Day 9 - DRIVING DAY USA POE based on coin toss :lol: - Sleep in own bed (Priceless)

Here is the last update for our route. Several drivers are coming in from the USA. One driver is coming from CANADA. Several will be coming from SAN FELIPE, a few from Ensenada and Tijuana making this an International trail event.

Magazine personnel will NOT be along for this run due to their participation in the KING OF THE HAMMERS event preceeding "THE IMPOSSIBLE".

Rich T has a welder on his new LJ:!:
Rich T and Paul W have prerun POLE LINE ROAD and MATOMI WASH :light:
Perry M has prerun POLE LINE ROAD :light:
Rich T has previously run THE PIONEER TRAIL :light:
MISSION IMPOSSIBLE has not been prerun and remains a MYSTERY :!:

LET'S TACKLE THE TRAILS AND SHRED SOME TIRES!! :lol:

mtgoat666 - 2-2-2019 at 02:13 PM

I have a route that I walk every day after work. 1 mile in about 20 minutes. The problem is the swamp which is full of water and infected mosquitoes.

It is quite cold in Catavina area right now. You won’t find mosquitoes there in winter.

Ken Cooke - 2-2-2019 at 02:18 PM

I have a route that I walk every day after work. 1 mile in about 20 minutes. The problem is the swamp which is full of water and infected mosquitoes.

It is quite cold in Catavina area right now. You won’t find mosquitoes there in winter.

Mosquitos survive cold winters typically in sewers. I read about it this week.:!:

To be a good trail leader, you have to be aware of possible hazards anywhere and everywhere.

David K - 2-2-2019 at 03:06 PM

If it's the bog you are talking about, it's closer to Gonzaga Bay than Cataviña and much lower in elevation, too. There were no mosquitos there in 2010 when many of us were in that water.

Ken Cooke - 2-2-2019 at 11:51 PM

If it's the bog you are talking about, it's closer to Gonzaga Bay than Cataviña and much lower in elevation, too. There were no mosquitos there in 2010 when many of us were in that water.

9 years ago, no vectors in a mud big/swamp? Nothing there now? I wouldn't be so sure, David K.

David K - 2-2-2019 at 11:54 PM

Vectors?
As I said, there were no mosquitos for us in there. It was Memorial weekend, so a lot warmer.

mtgoat666 - 2-3-2019 at 12:22 AM

9 years ago, no vectors in a mud big/swamp? Nothing there now? I wouldn't be so sure, David K.

There are no mosquitoes in February in the cold desert of central baja.
If you are eliminating sites to avoid imaginary mosquitoes, then you are bat chit crazy!

Ken Cooke - 2-3-2019 at 06:52 AM

If you are eliminating sites to avoid imaginary mosquitoes, then you are bat chit crazy!

Not eliminating - just paying very close attention. The last time I visited the Widowmaker hill, a group of killer bees were swarming nearby. I prefer staying inside of my Jeep for reasons like this.

mtgoat666 - 2-3-2019 at 12:43 PM

Not eliminating - just paying very close attention. The last time I visited the Widowmaker hill, a group of killer bees were swarming nearby. I prefer staying inside of my Jeep for reasons like this.

You can find Africanized Bees anywhere in baja,... or so cal, or Arizona, or,.... etc.
don’t be a sissy because you saw some bees at widow maker (I am surprised the name “widow maker” did not scare you off :lol: )

David K - 2-3-2019 at 01:25 PM

Yep.. I was attacked by aggressive bees near Coco's Corner when I had to fix a flat. On Shell Island too, a couple times... YIKES!

Ken Cooke - 2-3-2019 at 01:47 PM

A Yellow jacket stung my forehead in August. My face still itches and when I scratch, my forehead and both eyelids swell up.

David K - 2-3-2019 at 02:07 PM

Get a bottle of Australian 100% pure tea tree oil, keep it in your Jeep. Great for all kinds of skin injuries! 10 million Australian aborigines can't be wrong! G'day! Available at Sprouts and most Natural Food type stores. My kids got bee stings a bunch and the tea tree oil neutralizes the poison. Use it for cuts, burns, canker soars, bites...

Ken Cooke - 2-3-2019 at 07:16 PM

Get a bottle of Australian 100% pure tea tree oil, keep it in your Jeep. Great for all kinds of skin injuries! 10 million Australian aborigines can't be wrong! G'day! Available at Sprouts and most Natural Food type stores. My kids got bee stings a bunch and the tea tree oil neutralizes the poison. Use it for cuts, burns, canker soars, bites...

Or a bottle of Viva Villa for an aromatic face splash.

No thank you CODE-off road!

Ken Cooke - 2-6-2019 at 08:27 PM

It looks like the Baja Pole Line group and CODE OFF ROAD are SHARING the same route for days #1 and #2 of my IMPOSSIBLE 4WD event! Furious is not the word!! How dare they!!!:mad:

Link: https://www.lavozdelafrontera.com.mx/deportes/anuncia-code-c...

David K - 2-7-2019 at 01:01 AM

It looks like the Baja Pole Line group and CODE OFF ROAD are SHARING the same route for days #1 and #2 of my IMPOSSIBLE 4WD event! Furious is not the word!! How dare they!!!:mad:

Link: https://www.lavozdelafrontera.com.mx/deportes/anuncia-code-c...

How about a link to a map for the race?
If they are going as far as Cohabuzo Jcn (which you can get to from Hwy. 5 at the sand dunes) or beyond then forget Laguna Salada south and go in from La Ventana to the mesa with all the poles or as far as the top of Basketball Hill. Camp in the same place we did in 2015 and come back out at La Ventana. That will be a blast and not worry about going through gates or private property.

Here you go Ken, logged when you led the trip in 2015, but here in the reverse direction as far as Basketball Hill...

Road Log HWY. 5 west to and on the Pole Line Road

(GPS MAP DATUM: WGS84)

Total Miles/ Partial Miles:

0.0/ 0.0 HWY. 5, KM. 106/107 (La Ventana + 1 km.). 31°43.900', -115°03.900'

6.0/ 6.0 Junction, turn right (follow power line west).

8.1/ 2.1 Race Course crosses road, continue straight.

12.5/ 4.4 Well Pump, turn left follow poles (south). Grading and power poles end at second well (0.6 mi. south). Sandy road continues up Arroyo Grande (deflating tires recommended).

17.8/ 5.3 Turn right (west). The road ahead goes 22 miles to Rancho Arroyo Grande, deep sand driving. A gate may prevent passage through to HWY. 3 from the ranch. Road log turns right here onto Pole Line Road. 31°37.550', -115°15.700', elev. 800'. The east side of Arroyo Grande, where the Pole Line Road continues on towards San Felipe is not visible from here.

First 1942 telephone pole (cut) passed around Mile 21, on the left.

21.6/ 3.8 Detour off the original road to right (ahead is washed out). Drop steeply into wash and go left then rejoin old road and climb out other side of wash.

22.4/ 0.5 T Junction. Remains of WWII construction camp. Ahead (NW) was once a road to Ejido Saldaña, now washed out. Turn left (south) for Pole Line Road (small landing strip possible here). 31°39.055', -115°18.190'.

26.4/ 4.0 Briefly drop into and then back out of Arroyo Jaquegel, keeping to the left side. Road repair at bottom of drop was performed in 2015.

26.9/ 0.5 Start of steep grade up to a mesa. Many poles along mesa top are off to the right of the road at some distance.

28.7/ 1.8 Top of a long grade down, named 'Bad Hill'.

29.3/ 0.6 Pass close to one full-length pole, a second is in the distance.

30.2/ 0.9 Reach wide Arroyo Jaquegel, turn left up arroyo. Rocky going for nearly 1 mile. 31°35.730'/- 115°23.120'

31.1/ 0.9 Road leaves Arroyo Jaquegel to left (south). Further up the arroyo 500 feet is wrecked Suzuki Samurai. Road now crosses over hills and washes and drops back into Arroyo Jaquegel a final time.

34.1/ 3.0 Road leaves Arroyo Jaquegel with a cobblestone paved ramp at bottom of grade. Palms are up Arroyo Jaquegel to the left and can be seen from a ledge above.

35.5/ 1.4 Top of 'Basketball Hill'. A steep grade down so named by Neal Johns for the rocks in the road.

Cut phone poles seen going down. A wrecked truck is also halfway down.

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by David K]

PaulW - 2-7-2019 at 08:06 AM

Report from 2/6 run going south from Cahobuzo and on to Hwy5 near La Ventana,
"BB hill" was easy, no rocks in our path.
"bad hill" going down was easy the grade has much silt/sand filling the voids. Washout at the top was avoidable.
Hardest section was about the same as all runs before in Enmedio. Had to drive slightly different than my GPS track in the wash.

About the track from Mano Jct to near White tank:
Nice to drive in the sand wash.
Multiple marginal places to get from the sand wash to the so called pipeline road. I had routfinding issues due to my skill in following my GPS track. Several places require climbing up and down gullies and going thru bushes. Going up the gully banks required a bit of momentum. The "road" heading south toward the Pole Line track has several places with issues due to washout and steep places crossing gullies.
The Pole line road is the same as before, but tracks from those who went before were so faint I had to rely on the gps to find my way.
Those drivers that follow us in the future surely will improve on my path from the sand wash to the pipeline road. The reason for not trying to find a better way is limited by our fuel capacity. It's a long way from the PMEX.
So if I get my broke Jeep repaired in time I will get all thru the above described places, otherwise I will give Rich T. the proper GPS track.

David K - 2-7-2019 at 10:59 AM

Paul, if at some time in the future you could, a map of the alternate way in from below Cohabuzo/Mano would be nice...

I image this is the Neal Johns alternate "Down Easy" road that reaches the Pole Line Road at or near the White Tank?

On the map below, I copied by hand from Neal's Almanac, the north end comes off the road that ends at Campo La Victoria...

PaulW - 2-7-2019 at 11:03 AM

Bzy now. Map is forthcoming.

TMW - 2-7-2019 at 01:22 PM

FYI: The CODE race is to the west of the Guadalupe Rd extending maybe 10-12 miles south of Hwy 2. I'll post a map soon.

http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/mrgp2019/CODE_MRGP_2019.pdf

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by TMW]

Pages:  1    3