BajaNomad

"THE IMPOSSIBLE" 4WD Run FEBRUARY 16-24, 2019 [update 2 Feb 2019] - FINAL ROUTE

Pages:  1  2    4

mtgoat666 - 2-7-2019 at 01:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
It looks like the Baja Pole Line group and CODE OFF ROAD are SHARING the same route for days #1 and #2 of my IMPOSSIBLE 4WD event! Furious is not the word!! How dare they!!!:mad:

Link: https://www.lavozdelafrontera.com.mx/deportes/anuncia-code-c...

If they dont have a permit to close the road, then stand your ground, use and occupy the right of way consistent with local law!

Ken Cooke - 2-9-2019 at 08:18 AM

We will have a chance to update your GPS track next Saturday, Paul. I can't wait to get back out there.:bounce:

Ken Cooke - 2-9-2019 at 08:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
FYI: The CODE race is to the west of the Guadalupe Rd extending maybe 10-12 miles south of Hwy 2. I'll post a map soon.

http://www.codeoffroad.com.mx/mrgp2019/CODE_MRGP_2019.pdf

[Edited on 2-7-2019 by TMW]

It appears that KM 38 may allow traffic past the race course. Otherwise, it's La Ventana as our go-around to travel south.

TMW - 2-9-2019 at 02:47 PM

Ken you have a choice of going down the Guadalupe Rd at KM28 or the road down Laguna Salada at KM24. The race course is all to the west.

Ken Cooke - 2-9-2019 at 10:49 PM

Ken you have a choice of going down the Guadalupe Rd at KM28 or the road down Laguna Salada at KM24. The race course is all to the west.

I want to avoid Ventana fue to the extra driving involved. Plus, checking out the race might be fun.

David K - 2-10-2019 at 12:14 AM

??
La Ventana is where you come out onto Hwy. 5 to continue on to San Felipe... the shortest and easiest exit from Pole Line Road Run's end at Arroyo Grande.

Ken Cooke - 2-10-2019 at 06:14 AM

Our meet up will be in Progreso. Running South to Progreso at the start of the run will involve a long go around. But, it's our Plan B.

David K - 2-10-2019 at 11:30 AM

I am not following you, Ken. Sorry, it is probably me being old, but could you say a bit more... like are you doing about the same run as we did in 2015 (down Salada to Pole Line Road then east on the road to Hwy. 5)?

Where is this "long go around"? From where to where? I am a visual person. :light::coolup::P;):cool:

TMW - 2-10-2019 at 12:35 PM

Ken can correct me if I'm wrong but the meet up after crossing the border will be in Progresso which is the western side of Mexicali probably at the taco place. Some can top off their gas tanks too. The long go around is the time it takes getting their.

PaulW - 2-10-2019 at 01:54 PM

The San Felipe contingent plan to meet the group near Mano Jct

David K - 2-10-2019 at 05:32 PM

Ken can correct me if I'm wrong but the meet up after crossing the border will be in Progresso which is the western side of Mexicali probably at the taco place. Some can top off their gas tanks too. The long go around is the time it takes getting their.

Thanks Tom. It is the "south to Progreso" line I am not getting. South to Mano or south to La Ventana or south to San Felipe make sense ...? No worries, I just like getting the facts and visualize the fun they will have like when you and I were with them. Anyone see Frigatebird lately?

Ken Cooke - 2-10-2019 at 07:43 PM

Sorry guys, I have been out looking for a lost cat all day.
1. From Calexico, we will drive to Progreso for gas and lunch
Several drivers will be meeting there in the morning.
2. Our original route was to go west along Hwy 2 to the graded road leading to Guadalupe Canyon. Unfortunately, a CODE OFF-ROAD race will begin at 7am and spectators will likely clog the road making passage difficult. Traveling south along KM 28 or just west of the racecourse along KM 38 are likely our options. Likely, because we won't know until we get there exactly how crowded the road South will be.
3. Our other option will be to travel the toll road East of the Laguna Salada to Hwy 5 and down to La Ventana. The San Felipe contingent will meet us at Mano Junction.
4. We will set up camp at around 4:30 pm and get a roaring campfire in place. The Impossible will get underway promptly on Sunday morning.

ehall - 2-11-2019 at 04:07 AM

I was there for a code race several years ago. The road the the hot springs was wide open. Most spectators were parked 100 yards or more off the road, adjacent to the course. Looked like that was the pits also.

David K - 2-11-2019 at 08:53 AM

Sorry guys, I have been out looking for a lost cat all day.
1. From Calexico, we will drive to Progreso for gas and lunch
Several drivers will be meeting there in the morning.
2. Our original route was to go west along Hwy 2 to the graded road leading to Guadalupe Canyon. Unfortunately, a CODE OFF-ROAD race will begin at 7am and spectators will likely clog the road making passage difficult. Traveling south along KM 28 or just west of the racecourse along KM 38 are likely our options. Likely, because we won't know until we get there exactly how crowded the road South will be.
3. Our other option will be to travel the toll road East of the Laguna Salada to Hwy 5 and down to La Ventana. The San Felipe contingent will meet us at Mano Junction.
4. We will set up camp at around 4:30 pm and get a roaring campfire in place. The Impossible will get underway promptly on Sunday morning.

So if you can't get past the race at Laguna Salada, you will go arond on the highways to La Ventana... but what about the people waiting at Mano... only the Pole Line road connects those two points?

However, if you took the Km. 87 (Km. 86.8) Ej. Saldaña road at the sand dunes across to Cohabuzo Jcn. then you all can do the Pole Line road together. Your gasoline reserves will be low without extra cans.

[Edited on 2-11-2019 by David K]

ehall - 2-11-2019 at 06:06 PM

I'm in for the first 4 days only. This job is killing me. 6 more years and I am done. Haha.
Thanks Ken for not having a problem with a part timer.
Do we have an updated participant list?

David K - 2-11-2019 at 06:15 PM

Ed, please have your inReach on, I would love to see where Ken is leading the gang this time when I get back. Have a great trip! I will be on the other side and further south. Rain is coming in a couple days big time to San Diego and east, and down to El Rosario on Sunday... If you believe the forecast.

ehall - 2-11-2019 at 06:40 PM

I will have it on. Going to try to sleep inside my jeep. Rain will make it interesting.

participant list

Ken Cooke - 2-11-2019 at 09:42 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  

Do we have an updated participant list?

Tijuana - Victor S. + wife (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl/Impossible)

MXL - Saturnino + wife and 2 other drivers w/respective vehicles. (PLR only)

San Felipe - Chloe, Rich, Paul (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl)

Canada - Daryl + wife (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl/Impossible)

Local - Ken + wife, David Y + son (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl/Impossible)

Arizona - Perry +1. (PLR/Matomi/Pioneer Trl/Impossible), Ed (PLR only)

Ken Cooke - 2-11-2019 at 09:44 PM

I will have it on. Going to try to sleep inside my jeep. Rain will make it interesting.

No rain in the forecast for our run. :!:

El Centro, CA - https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/USCA0332:1:US
San Felipe - https://weather.com/weather/tenday/l/MXBC0145:1:MX

Nights will get chilly though. :!::!:

PaulW - 2-12-2019 at 08:05 AM

Race conflict
I would not have any concern for you route thru that area.
Spectators do not arrive early and you can always avoid the race track ofre even drive on teh track.
Last time I attended that race we drove all around with no issues.
Expect to pay an entrance fee when you enter the course area just south of highway 2. Not a big fee, but it would be good to carry several hundred pesos. Fee is compensation to the land owners for use of their private property.

David K - 2-12-2019 at 08:17 AM

Yes, a lady collected a fee from us in 2015 to drive the mile between Hwy. 2 and the lakebed. She wasn't there 2 days later when I passed by going to Tecate.

Ken Cooke - 2-12-2019 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Race conflict
I would not have any concern for you route thru that area.
Spectators do not arrive early and you can always avoid the race track ofre even drive on teh track.
Last time I attended that race we drove all around with no issues.
Expect to pay an entrance fee when you enter the course area just south of highway 2. Not a big fee, but it would be good to carry several hundred pesos. Fee is compensation to the land owners for use of their private property.

Thanks for your information, Paul :light:

rich t - 2-12-2019 at 09:02 PM

Ken, There is one more couple coming from San Felipe, Harvey and Marilyn Schuler, Jeep JK setup.

Ken Cooke - 2-12-2019 at 10:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rich t  
Ken, There is one more couple coming from San Felipe, Harvey and Marilyn Schuler, Jeep JK setup.

Cool - Glad Harvey could make it!

Ken Cooke - 2-12-2019 at 10:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Yes, a lady collected a fee from us in 2015 to drive the mile between Hwy. 2 and the lakebed. She wasn't there 2 days later when I passed by going to Tecate.

It's difficult when people collecting fees aren't wearing some sort of identification or provide a backstory on who they are collecting money for. I just give and hope that it's legitimate.

David K - 2-13-2019 at 12:24 PM

She gave us receipts, remember?

Did you see that Feb 12 video on going up Matomi canyon from Hwy. 5?
Looked that they were in a side by side buggy and were blocked by the same boulders in the narrows that I found in 2017.

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10003494316

PaulW - 2-13-2019 at 01:27 PM

Cesar inquired about Matomi and was told it was a difficult passage, but doable by others that made it through.
There should be plenty of tracks.
IMO, westbound is more difficult than eastbound.

TMW - 2-13-2019 at 01:40 PM

If the rocks stopped them how did the class 11 VWs get thru in the SF250 race last April. Two Class 11 VWs finished the race.

PaulW - 2-13-2019 at 01:45 PM

The Class 11s got thru just fine.
Some other classes had to have winch help.
Difficulty is exaggerated by some.

ehall - 2-13-2019 at 06:26 PM

Heads up to everyone. In December at the Chinero military checkpoint I was given a very thorough search. They looked thru my clothes bag, my bathroom bag, my back pack. Emptied all the tools out of my toolbar and even took the batteries out of my flashlight. They were very careful and respectful but more thorough than ever before.

DINNER STOP AT EL CHINERO!

Ken Cooke - 2-13-2019 at 07:32 PM

Heads up to everyone. In December at the Chinero military checkpoint I was given a very thorough search. They looked thru my clothes bag, my bathroom bag, my back pack. Emptied all the tools out of my toolbar and even took the batteries out of my flashlight. They were very careful and respectful but more thorough than ever before.

Thanks for the heads up Ed. With all of the Jeeps and Toyota, we'll make the best of it and have a bite to eat while waiting for our compadres. The worst thing will have to empty out the freezer section of my fridge. I don't want people putting their hands on my food. Yuck!

Ken Cooke - 2-13-2019 at 07:43 PM

She gave us receipts, remember?

https://www.relive.cc/view/rt10003494316

The receipts part of the memory were wiped clean in the bote de basura of my mind. We will carry $5 to cover the 100 peso fee.

David K - 2-13-2019 at 07:59 PM

Of course, it was Christmas time! ;)

David K - 2-13-2019 at 08:03 PM

Hey Ken and Ed, you guys have a great run!
I will be in El Rosario and Mission San Fernando on Sunday and Monday if all goes as planned. I look forward to seeing where you guys get to... Surely, some of the best of Baja!

ehall - 2-14-2019 at 03:52 AM

Of course, it was Christmas time! ;)

As much 4 wheeling and shooting we do in Az it makes me nervous when they start looking under my seat and floormats with a flashlight even though I always check it before I go.

ehall - 2-14-2019 at 03:54 AM

Thanks for the heads up Ed. With all of the Jeeps and Toyota, we'll make the best of it and have a bite to eat while waiting for our compadres. The worst thing will have to empty out the freezer section of my fridge. I don't want people putting their hands on my food. Yuck!

Other times waved right thru. Maybe I looked suspicious or they were training a newbie.

bajatrailrider - 2-14-2019 at 09:33 AM

Hey Ed when we return from pole line trip. They serched the Nissan big time. Then asked Alma if she was there on her own free will.Haaaa she had some chose words in Esponol for them.;)

ehall - 2-14-2019 at 09:42 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Hey Ed when we return from pole line trip. They serched the Nissan big time. Then asked Alma if she was there on her own free will.Haaaa she had some chose words in Esponol for them.;)

I have an empty seat if you want to meet us in Mexicali.

Ken Cooke - 2-14-2019 at 09:08 PM

Willy from Willy's Off Road, Tijuana plans to join us in Mexicali. I'll have more information by tomorrow. After Friday night, I'll sign off from this thread and focus on the trail.

DALE!:!:

Bug - 2-17-2019 at 07:47 PM

Hello Ken.. I made it home. Those guys that past you and the group. Where able to get the jeep running. So home Sunday 6;30 pm.. Chloe

David K - 2-19-2019 at 12:44 AM

Looking at ehall's inReach track I saw that they were done with the Pole Line Road and out to Hwy. 5 at La Ventana about 2 pm after spending the night just east of Basketball Hill. They got to the Pole Line Road near the White tank, from the north after attempting the traditional route at the base of the summit. That is how it looked the past two days.

PaulW - 2-19-2019 at 07:32 AM

All reports indicate a successful run. Sorry I missed it.

bajatrailrider - 2-19-2019 at 08:43 AM

Wondering if they got washed out roads with all the rain.

PaulW - 2-19-2019 at 08:59 AM

Rain in San Felipe began after the guys were finished with dinner on the Malecon. Rich reported some sprinkles during the run.

Ken Cooke - 2-19-2019 at 11:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Rain in San Felipe began after the guys were finished with dinner on the Malecon. Rich reported some sprinkles during the run.

Paul - Sprinkles turned into hail and a full rainstorm at 8 pm last night. Dinner last night at Del Mar on the malecón. See Rich T.for your Impossible t-shirt. Sorry you couldn't make the run.

Today, we're rebuilding radios, suspension, drivelines, tires, all after the Pole Line Road. We haven't even run Matomi and it's been a challenging run on our equipment.

Look for an upcoming thread on our Carnage. :light:

ehall - 2-20-2019 at 05:16 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
Wondering if they got washed out roads with all the rain.

Its funny but the mountains west of san felipe stop almost all rains. The storms just stop over the mountain.

David K - 2-20-2019 at 08:34 AM

Having just returned from about 30 miles northwest of Cataviña, I will let you guys know the desert is WET (and green). Expect the water table to be fully charged for The BOG on the Mission Santa María road. Yes, the bog is on the gulf side of the peninsular divide, but only 3-4 miles from the divide. The divide is 10-11 road miles from Cataviña and much shorter, as the crow flies.

ehall - 2-21-2019 at 05:05 AM

Victor had a special gift for all of us. The can i picked up along the trail.

20190220_052247-800x389.jpg - 146kB

PaulW - 2-21-2019 at 07:09 AM

WET for sure. Flowers are still in bloom after a long time.
Here in San Felipe my humidity gauge has been pegged above 100% for weeks. Nice to drive in the desert with so little dust.

There is a concern expressed by some experts the precip arriving to fast will not recharge the aquifer as fast and the slower precip due to runoff.
==== =

Having just returned from about 30 miles northwest of Cataviña, I will let you guys know the desert is WET (and green). Expect the water table to be fully charged for The BOG on the Mission Santa María road. Yes, the bog is on the gulf side of the peninsular divide, but only 3-4 miles from the divide. The divide is 10-11 road miles from Cataviña and much shorter, as the crow flies.

David K - 2-21-2019 at 10:57 AM

Well, on the Pacific slope of the peninsular range, we have had rain every week since Thanksgiving week in November with just two exceptions! There were two times we had two dry weeks.

Ken Cooke - 2-22-2019 at 08:28 AM

The mud we encountered along Calamajue trail is being washed off our our trucks as I type this. Red clay is perfect for building cost effective housing - difficult for removing after a day on the trail.

Rai fell throughout the night. Currently, the skies are partly cloudy. Maybe there is a chance we will run to the peninsular divide, but Mission Impossible may need to be rescheduled.

David K - 2-22-2019 at 10:28 AM

So, you went down Calamajué Canyon, in the water and popped out on Hwy. 1 south of Chapala?

Ken Cooke - 2-23-2019 at 06:34 AM

So, you went down Calamajué Canyon, in the water and popped out on Hwy. 1 south of Chapala?

...in the water (and red clay mud) and slipped into Hwy 1 south of Laguna Chapala.

Pages:  1  2    4