BajaNomad

batteries on planes, tj airport?

joerover - 2-24-2018 at 03:37 PM

in the US we bring the battery powered items in our carry on, not so in Mexico.

Lets see, we are supposed to put our battery powered items in our checked bag with the batteries removed from the device and in a clear plastic bag? What are regulations about AA vs lithium? Can I bring modern bike lights, or am I limited to old fashioned AA lights? What about those external battery for recharging phones, are they allowed on the plane, or in your checked bag?

in other news,
https://www.inquisitr.com/4795592/archaeologists-found-ancie...

JZ - 2-24-2018 at 03:44 PM

I travel often with 4 good sized lithium batteries for the drone. You are suppose to have it in your carry-on, which I always do. They recommend putting each battery in a bag, but I never do it.

I've done a bunch of flights domestically, Mexico, and a couple to Europe and Asia. The only place someone said something was flying between cities in China. They gave me bags to put the batteries in.

Always do carry-on in Mexico, for flights w/in MX and to the US.

Alm - 3-3-2018 at 05:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by joerover  
in the US we bring the battery powered items in our carry on, not so in Mexico.

Lets see, we are supposed to put our battery powered items in our checked bag with the batteries removed from the device and in a clear plastic bag? What are regulations about AA vs lithium?

These rules are pretty much the same in most countries. https://www.tsa.gov/travel/security-screening/whatcanibring/...

Print it out and carry with you, sometimes they simply want your rechargeable AA, no matter that it's allowed.

Lithiums over 100 WH are allowed only in carry-on and no more than 2, smaller Li - both in carry-on and checked in. You don't have to take it out of the equipment in carry-on.

Edit-PS: over 100 WH doesn't mean that you can bring 800 WH battery for a scooter. Max size is 160 WH.

Treat Li batts as if they were a dynamite. Most fires in Li batts are caused by mechanical damage, ex. when you throw it in overhead bin. I recall a video from Chinese airline, last week, external laptop battery caught fire in the bin during boarding. I didn't see any special bag or pouch on it.

[Edited on 3-4-2018 by Alm]