BajaNomad

Lugging Meat across the border?

caj13 - 2-24-2018 at 08:32 PM

so if i brought a cooler full of steaks and prime rib with me from the USA - I can legally bring it into mexico - right?

I was figuring its a good way to meat (see what I did there?) new friends, but I really don't want to provide Mexico customs agents with a BBQ

4x4abc - 2-24-2018 at 10:12 PM

if you pack it right (cheese, salami and beer cans on top) you'll be OK

mtgoat666 - 2-24-2018 at 10:39 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
so if i brought a cooler full of steaks and prime rib with me from the USA - I can legally bring it into mexico - right?

I was figuring its a good way to meat (see what I did there?) new friends, but I really don't want to provide Mexico customs agents with a BBQ

If they inspect and find it, they will take it (meat, veggies, fruit). They rarely inspect, but sometimes do.... They took our fruit a couple weeks ago.

DanO - 2-24-2018 at 11:41 PM

I've never had food of any kind, including our traditional New Year's prime rib, confiscated heading south at San Ysidro, Otay Mesa, or Tecate, in nearly three decades of frequent crossings, in which I've been pulled over and inspected so many times I've lost count. Just don't take firewood. A big no no.

JZ - 2-25-2018 at 12:13 AM

They only opened my cooler once or twice, and shut it immediately.

Just have ice and water on top.

BajaMama - 2-25-2018 at 08:07 AM

Yep, what everyone else said. Keep frozen meat on the bottom, benign stuff on top. I usually don't worry at the border but I used to at the bug stop near Guerrero Negro. It seems these days they just charge the 20-25 pesos to spray your car, no inspections.

[Edited on 2-25-2018 by BajaMama]

bajapedro - 2-25-2018 at 08:12 AM

Have crossed with multiple ice chests full of meat, for large party camping trips, veggies as well as dry food stuffs and beer, etc... Never been questioned.

bajapedro - 2-25-2018 at 08:15 AM

Have crossed with multiple ice chests full of meat, for large party camping trips, veggies as well as dry food stuffs and beer, etc... Never been questioned.

AKgringo - 2-25-2018 at 08:33 AM

I don't think you will be able to buy friendship with meat.....but with cerveca, or tequila you would have a good shot! (see what I did there?) :biggrin:

woody with a view - 2-25-2018 at 08:43 AM

Sonoran beef is sold in every market in Baja. Tastes better than the steriod fueled factory farmed meat from up north. Just saying.

Udo - 2-25-2018 at 09:01 AM

I too have crossed into Mexico with an ice chest full of meats. Been inspected twice.
Both times I was asked if the meat was for my own consumption.

I git just a polite OK and sent me on my way. (this was at Otay Mesa)

JZ - 2-25-2018 at 09:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Sonoran beef is sold in every market in Baja. Tastes better than the steriod fueled factory farmed meat from up north. Just saying.

Yeah, I've spent a lot more time in Sonora than Baja and this is very true. You can get big ass ribeyes there really cheap.

What I put in the cooler is IPA that you can't get in MX.

amigobaja - 2-26-2018 at 08:28 AM

Couple years ago I paid for a huge BBQ for all family members and friends of the Loreto Airport employees. They stole all my beef and because the lamb chops were New Zealand instead of Argentinean (little discrimination) they also stole them. Only consolation was they allowed me to keep the bacon and baby backs. Cerdo Ok.

tobias - 2-26-2018 at 09:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by amigobaja  
Couple years ago I paid for a huge BBQ for all family members and friends of the Loreto Airport employees. They stole all my beef and because the lamb chops were New Zealand instead of Argentinean (little discrimination) they also stole them. Only consolation was they allowed me to keep the bacon and baby backs. Cerdo Ok.

They derk dur beefs?

Rib Eye Steaks

bajaguy - 2-26-2018 at 09:18 AM

The former Commercial Mexicana in Ensenada across from the COSTCO, now a Soriana Hiper, has some great Rib-Eyes

Doug/Vamonos - 2-26-2018 at 09:36 AM

Just curious...how much do those ribeyes cost at Soriana?

bajaguy - 2-26-2018 at 12:14 PM

I'll have to get back to you

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  

imlost - 2-26-2018 at 12:20 PM

I wonder if the meat at a Mexico Costco is from Mexico or the US.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by imlost]

aguachico - 2-27-2018 at 12:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
The former Commercial Mexicana in Ensenada across from the COSTCO, now a Soriana Hiper, has some great Rib-Eyes

Post up some pics of the raw steak and price please.

bajaguy - 2-27-2018 at 06:24 PM

Rib Eyes - 298 p a kilo
New Yorks - 228 p a kilo

Would post photos, but I'm Nomad photo challenged

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  

tobias - 2-27-2018 at 09:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by imlost  
I wonder if the meat at a Mexico Costco is from Mexico or the US.

[Edited on 2-26-2018 by imlost]

The ribeyes at costco in cabo are USDA choice and are 499 per kilo.
Also would post a pic but seems like a lot of work shrinking the file size and whatnot for a hunk of beef under cellophane.
Costco in Mexico does not seem to be a great a deal as it is in the states.