BajaNomad

Mex 3

thebajarunner - 2-26-2018 at 03:07 PM

Made a pretty rapid run from San Felipe to Ensenada on Saturday. Usually drive my sturdy old F150 but this time we had our MBenz C-300.
At speed that road is pretty hard on a conventional car with low profile tires. Half of the distance is smooth and good, the other half is ragged with lots of shallow pot holes that the truck would likely just skim over.
Not the Mercedes!
And, coming into Ensenada from Ojos Negros just after dark was brutal
That pavement has some really nasty breaks, and the Benz hated every one of them.
I guess the lessons are.... slow down (not likely) or next time bring the truck (which is my preferred mode of travel down there anyway)

motoged - 2-26-2018 at 03:16 PM

Yes....I never take my Maybach on that stretch ...

4x4abc - 2-26-2018 at 04:11 PM

or Mercedes for everything - I am prepared for the bad and the good roads

DanO - 2-26-2018 at 04:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Thank's for the afternoon chuckle. :lol:

What model is your Maybach??

thebajarunner - 2-26-2018 at 05:19 PM

Very cool and unusual car indeed
Which model do you have?

I would not take one to Baja either,
I am reluctant to take my Porsche Macan down there
Too bad, cuz it sure is a fun driving car

bajabuddha - 2-26-2018 at 05:20 PM

I'm leaving my '57 Henway in storage. :cool:

mtgoat666 - 2-26-2018 at 05:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Made a pretty rapid run from San Felipe to Ensenada on Saturday. Usually drive my sturdy old F150 but this time we had our MBenz C-300.
At speed that road is pretty hard on a conventional car with low profile tires. Half of the distance is smooth and good, the other half is ragged with lots of shallow pot holes that the truck would likely just skim over.
Not the Mercedes!
That pavement has some really nasty breaks, and the Benz hated every one of them.
I guess the lessons are.... slow down (not likely) or next time bring the truck (which is my preferred mode of travel down there anyway)

Those low profile tires are only good for mall-crawling, grocery-getting, latte-runs, etc.
I see a lot of pick up trucks and SUVs with low profile tires :(

You got that right!!

thebajarunner - 2-26-2018 at 05:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Not the Mercedes!

Those low profile tires are only good for mall-crawling, grocery-getting, latte-runs, etc.

My Macan has an "Off Road" setting to raise the suspension, etc.
and low profile tires....
Go figure
Who is going to go off road with no side walls to flex?
Automotive marketing is a strange creature
Of course, how many of those big jacked up, off road, 4 x 4s ever go off road????
Not many!

mtgoat666 - 2-26-2018 at 06:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Not the Mercedes!

My Macan has an "Off Road" setting to raise the suspension, etc.
and low profile tires....
Go figure
Who is going to go off road with no side walls to flex?
Automotive marketing is a strange creature
Of course, how many of those big jacked up, off road, 4 x 4s ever go off road????
Not many!

What is a Macan?

David K - 2-26-2018 at 06:37 PM

https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/macan/

4x4abc - 2-26-2018 at 06:44 PM

Not many!

I applaud every 4x4 owner for not going off-road - reduces overuse and keeps my camp spots quiet. The mall is perfect for everyone.

The funny thing is that I see so many tricked out overlanding vehicles (the ones where you can circumvent the entire planet self contained), especially the really big truck based ones, in the parking lot of the Walmart in La Paz. They are too afraid to spend the night at a remote beach.

motoged - 2-26-2018 at 07:10 PM

Which model do you have?

The new coupe.....

mtgoat666 - 2-26-2018 at 07:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
https://www.porsche.com/usa/models/macan/

Oh. Looks like a Lexus. Chick cars!

The real suckerfish is in your mirror, my friend

thebajarunner - 2-26-2018 at 08:10 PM

Which model do you have?

The new coupe.....

So sorry that my sarcasm escaped your notice.
The respondder was clearly miffed at my reference to driving a Benz
Lo Siento...
This person likely would not recognize a Maybach if it ran over his/her foot

motoged - 2-26-2018 at 08:19 PM

BR,
Nope wasn't miffed by you driving a Benz.....just found it funny that a guy brags about his ride under the guise of a road report...;)

I have ridden in a Maybach....a musician friend has one....drove it around his ranch....he didn't need the wannabe wow factor of low profile tires..... it handled the gravel and ruts okay for what it is.....

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by motoged]

del mar - 2-26-2018 at 08:30 PM

BR,
Nope wasn't miffed by you driving a Benz.....just found it funny that a guy brags about his ride under the guise of a road report...;)

I have ridden in a Maybach....a musician friend has one....drove it around his ranch....he didn't need the wannabe wow factor of low profile tires..... it handled the gravel and ruts okay for what it is.....

[Edited on 2-27-2018 by motoged]

bragging? the benz performed poorly, it was an endorsement for the F150!:yes: