BajaNomad

"You're so cheap!"

Pages:  1  

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 12:03 PM

What is the cheapest aperson can spend to live in Baja?

I ask because my idea is to live as cheaply as I can and collect my pension. As much as I save is money for my casita.
So, I will camp as much as I can. Will need the occasional cheap motel room to clean up some. 1 once week maybe.
How about food?
What is the lest one can spend on food living of the local economy.
For example, San Quintin is a farming town. My guess is food is very cheap if one knows where to shop.
Any guesses?

caj13 - 3-5-2018 at 12:11 PM

get one of the cheap places in Mulege, live off fish you catch and grow a
veggie garden

BajaGringo - 3-5-2018 at 12:17 PM

In San Quintin in those circumstances a single guy looking for a minimum lifestyle could easily live on less than $200USD per week. Entire families here do it on less than $100USD per week. It all depends what you are willing to give up...

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 12:18 PM

Nice, I like it.

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
get one of the cheap places in Mulege, live off fish you catch and grow a
veggie garden

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 12:29 PM

Yeah, I think that is what the question really is... how low can you go?So I guess necessity living is $100/week min. $200/max.

Things I can't give up.

1) Three square meals a day. Coffee.
2) Fuel for truck
3) Phone/Internet
4) Some shelter (tent, occasional motel)
5) ?

Quote: Originally posted by BajaGringo  
In San Quintin in those circumstances a single guy looking for a minimum lifestyle could easily live on less than $200USD per week. Entire families here do it on less than $100USD per week. It all depends what you are willing to give up...

motoged - 3-5-2018 at 12:53 PM

When I was first considering these questions, I would ask folks in Baja "how they did it". A common response was "gas and booze" were the biggest budget suckers....and these tended to be guys who like to fish....and drink, it seems :biggrin:

...and in those days the fantasy was an Airstream with a palapa in Todos Santos....

Well, all sorts of things have changed in past 30 years and I have realized I won't be doing that :( and renting has solved the issue as I can only be in Baja several months at a time in winter....and it's a four day drive.

From reading your posts it appears that you are "on the scent"....but may be underestimating your lodging needs....the previous suggestions regarding getting a trailer (lots for sale in Baja) and putting it in a community of your preference is a good idea....and see how that goes as a key first step....

Whatever you do, make a distinction between "cheap" and "frugal"...

y buena suerte

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by motoged]

woody with a view - 3-5-2018 at 01:15 PM

So many questions and so little time.

Why would you want to live as cheap as possible? Is that what you worked your ass off for all of those years? Just go and figure it out. All of the answers you seek will only come with time on the ground, grasshopper!

LukeJobbins - 3-5-2018 at 01:34 PM

When I “go” the only expensive thing is gas. Five gallons of water at most places are 10 pesos or less. Vegetables are normally pretty cheap and if you catch your own, fish are free. A giant Costco thing of olive oil lasts a while. Make a fire to cook whenever there is no wind and conserve burner gas for windy days.

LukeJobbins - 3-5-2018 at 01:45 PM

When I “go” the only expensive thing is gas. Five gallons of water at most places are 10 pesos or less. Vegetables are normally pretty cheap and if you catch your own, fish are free. A giant Costco thing of olive oil lasts a while. Make a fire to cook whenever there is no wind and conserve burner gas for windy days.

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 01:46 PM

This is so true Woody.

No doubt I just need to get my feet on the ground and work it out.

I have no reservations about throwing money at my Baja trips In fact that is my Standard Operating Procedure.
But that was then. This is now.

Then: More money then brains. More money then time. Fight stress with money. 25 hour days. Insomnia and diarehea are my constant companions.
Now: More time than ability to replace money( without going back to work as a Walmart greeter).
Time to think.
Time to annoy eveyone with silly frivilous questions.
Time to contemplate a very nice humble frugal peaceful Baja life. Nomadic and monk-like.
Time for my pension money to kick in.
Time for my 401k to grow.
Time to figure out what I really want out of the next (last) 30 years of my life.
Time to figure out who I am, who I want to be... and who I was...

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
So many questions and so little time.

Why would you want to live as cheap as possible? Is that what you worked your ass off for all of those years? Just go and figure it out. All of the answers you seek will only come with time on the ground, grasshopper!

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 02:01 PM

I have probably fueled my Baja trips with more ceveza than gasoline over the years. And I am an unrepenteant gas guzzler.
Thankfully I am sober for 3 plus years now. I used booze as pain med/phycologist/social lubricant/best friend for many years. And it worked... sorta.
And the insanity of a cold beer on a hot beach/senorita is strong.
Maybe tomorrow...but not today.
So that expense is eliminated. (Not the senorita part, I' m budgeting in 1 visit a week to Ensenada/Tijuana/SanDiego for that. I suppose I could get by on once a month if I had to.;))
That the difference between cheap and frugal.

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
When I was first considering these questions, I would ask folks in Baja "how they did it". A common response was "gas and booze" were the biggest budget suckers....and these tended to be guys who like to fish....and drink, it seems :biggrin:

...and in those days the fantasy was an Airstream with a palapa in Todos Santos....

Well, all sorts of things have changed in past 30 years and I have realized I won't be doing that :( and renting has solved the issue as I can only be in Baja several months at a time in winter....and it's a four day drive.

From reading your posts it appears that you are "on the scent"....but may be underestimating your lodging needs....the previous suggestions regarding getting a trailer (lots for sale in Baja) and putting it in a community of your preference is a good idea....and see how that goes as a key first step....

Whatever you do, make a distinction between "cheap" and "frugal"...

y buena suerte

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by motoged]

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by fishbuck]

John Harper - 3-5-2018 at 02:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

I thought you retired from Boeing? Didn't you pay into SS as well? Or, is SS the only "pension" you're referring to?

I know teachers get screwed if we have qualified for SS and later STRS, but I did not think private sector employees were subject to the cruelty of Congress. They really screw those of us who follow two careers, a big barrier to recruiting mature new teachers.

John

sancho - 3-5-2018 at 02:57 PM

Time to figure out what I really want out of the next (last) 30 years of my life.

You did take a couple sarcastic swipes recently, but no worry
about questions, heck you even have Ron chiming in with info.
When you figure out the way to predict one's lifespan, let
me know. The cheapest, Coleman tent pitched on DK's Campo
Shell Isle, diet of triggerfish

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 03:02 PM

I will be 59 in April.
When IAM751 sold out their pension for a $10,000/signing bonus they also made it possible for me to retire at 58 with pension and full medical until medicare at 65.
I voted against it surprisingly. I thought at the time (2012-13) that I would work for another 10 years and pile onto my pension.
But they voted it away.
I took the 10 Gs like everyone else. And also the accelerated 401k contributions which ended last year.
So good work idiots. You voted away YOUR pension not mine. I'm already vested.

See ya, wouldn't want to be ya!
People died in strikes and various union battles for you to have a defined benifits pension and you gave it away for chump change.

And that is another reason I am retiring. These Everett and Wa Boeing people are too stupid to work with. And the trend is going toward More Stupid on the chart.

So SSN at 62.5.
Hence the sitting cheaply and quietly on the beach part.
I'm set for life. And even more set when SSN kicks in.

But it's not anywhere near close to fullbore Boeing money.
Not many things are. And not many things have the soul sucking/killing stress and institutionalized stupidity/lobotomy process.
Salsipuedes!

But remember if it doesn't kill you hopefully you won't be maimed for life but you will probably be a cynical, bitter, ahole with a crap personality that no one likes... but it may make you stronger... or kill you slowly later... or stronger...or...

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

I thought you retired from Boeing? Didn't you pay into SS as well? Or, is SS the only "pension" you're referring to?

I know teachers get screwed if we have qualified for SS and later STRS, but I did not think private sector employees were subject to the cruelty of Congress. They really screw those of us who follow two careers, a big barrier to recruiting mature new teachers.

John

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 03:04 PM

I must go here immediately.
Good bye cruel world!:bounce:

Quote: Originally posted by akmaxx  
https://bajasur.craigslist.com.mx/apa/d/mulege-artists-retre...

Spacious, private, quiet, near the ocean and gardens. Two restaurants on the property and groceries only two miles down a mostly paved malecon.

Where can you wrong with this?

Peace,

caj13 - 3-5-2018 at 03:12 PM

Spacious, private, quiet, near the ocean and gardens. Two restaurants on the property and groceries only two miles down a mostly paved malecon.

Peace,

seriously, in all the research I have done - Mulege stands out as the best living deal in Baja, really cool town, fresh fruits and veggies in abundance , excellent fishing - cheap as heck, nice ex pat community.

If i could get my wife off of the Las barriles infatuation - mulege is where i would end up, if i was smart!

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 03:15 PM

Please forgive my offensiveness. I was abused as a child, young man, man, middle aged man... I liked it a little too... but I can be as mean as a junk yard dog.
I'm am/was trained killer. No prisioners. I'm kicking tail and taking names... and then more unnecessary tail kicking.

Hopefully Baja will turn me into a friendly kind old gringo geezer. I'll be at the mission asking forgiveness... and fishing.

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

You did take a couple sarcastic swipes recently, but no worry
about questions, heck you even have Ron chiming in with info.
When you figure out the way to predict one's lifespan, let
me know. The cheapest, Coleman tent pitched on DK's Campo
Shell Isle, diet of triggerfish

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 03:22 PM

This solves all life's problems forsure. It seems viable for simple subsistance fishing too.
I guess I can live on 1 trigger fish a day.
I'm serious. This is it.
[r3quote=1112555&tid=89693&author=caj13]

Peace,[/rquote]

seriously, in all the research I have done - Mulege stands out as the best living deal in Baja, really cool town, fresh fruits and veggies in abundance , excellent fishing - cheap as heck, nice ex pat community.

If i could get my wife off of the Las barriles infatuation - mulege is where i would end up, if i was smart!

Floatflyer - 3-5-2018 at 07:20 PM

I saw this posted a month or so ago=
fishbuck
Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

• posted on 2-8-2018 at 12:18 Reply With Quote Report Post to Administrator

Hey Cap! I am on the verge of beginning my quest to land on each of baja's remaining 23 or so runways.
    I hunting down a cheap Piper Cherokee 140. It stretches the range a bit but I'll carry a few hours worth of fuel in the back seat if they let me. I've done it before.
    Does anyone fly in baja anymore?
    I don't care about the fees or any of the other stuff. I want me some baja flying.
    Give me a short rough baja dirt runway anywhere any day. That's soul flying.

Pretty interesting how you can go from buying a plane to asking questions on how to live as cheaply as possible with a "clean up" at a motel once a week!!! Are you trying to increase your posting count or what????

advrider - 3-5-2018 at 07:29 PM

I keep doing the math and come back to renting rather than own. Less stress when you aren't there and the ability to move around if needed. A friend pays rent for 6 months but keeps the house year around, so when so goes North because of the heat all of her stuff stays put!

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 07:30 PM

Where do you think I getting my flying money from?
    I could go to Cabo and stay in expensive beachfront places or cheap motels and a little plane.
    And did you notice the Piper 140 part.
    I know I can find one for $20,000 all day. And that's a nice one
    I've seen them much cheaper for a beater. It's the airplane equivelant to a Bajabug.
    And who doesn't like Bajabugs.

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
    fishbuck
    Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

Hey Cap! I am on the verge of beginning my quest to land on each of baja's remaining 23 or so runways.
    I hunting down a cheap Piper Cherokee 140. It stretches the range a bit but I'll carry a few hours worth of fuel in the back seat if they let me. I've done it before.
    I don't care about the fees or any of the other stuff. I want me some baja flying.

Pretty interesting how you can go from buying a plane to asking questions on how to live as cheaply as possible with a "clean up" at a motel once a week!!! Are you trying to increase your posting count or what????

• advrider - 3-5-2018 at 07:57 PM

But when my bugs broke down they were on land and I could just hop out and clean the gas filter real quick! Not so in a plane.... LOL, I don't know anything about planes....

fishbuck - 3-5-2018 at 08:18 PM

It's the same except pulling over and hoping out is harder.

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
    But when my bugs broke down they were on land and I could just hop out and clean the gas filter real quick! Not so in a plane.... LOL, I don't know anything about planes....

mtgoat666 - 3-5-2018 at 08:30 PM

Where do you think I getting my flying money from?
    I could go to Cabo and stay in expensive beachfront places or cheap motels and a little plane.
    I know I can find one for $20,000 all day. And that's a nice one
    I've seen them much cheaper for a beater. It's the airplane equivelant to a Bajabug.
    And who doesn't like Bajabugs.

Quote: Originally posted by Floatflyer  
    fishbuck
    Elite Nomad

Member Is Online

• Flying is an expensive hobby.
    Sounds like you barely got a pot to pee in, Why don’t you focus on figuring Out how to afford basic necessities first, before you go blow your savings on a cheap plane whose operation/maintenance costs will blow a hole in your savings?

Hook - 3-6-2018 at 07:59 AM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  

Fish that you catch aren't free. In fact, fish caught from a boat are probably the most expensive fish on the planet. If you want cheap fish, buy it at a fish market.

I doubt you can be at subsistence level, fishing from the shore.

Cooking with wood is not that practical in Baja. It's not easy to collect the amount of wood you need. Buying mesquite is not cheap. And think of all the wasted energy units as you build a small fire to cook eggs in the AM.

Just go propane all the way. It's gotten more expensive in Mexico but it is still worth it.

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by Hook]

MMc - 3-6-2018 at 08:06 AM

Give the guy a break, He is trying to figure the next steps in his life. How about, he is trying to budget for the rest of his life. Houses, planes and autos are costly and spending wisely will affect his lifestyle. His life is his own and heckling from the .05 seats is annoying.

Hook - 3-6-2018 at 08:22 AM

John

Teachers didnt get screwed. Teachers never paid into the system while they were working. That 6.2% deduction from their earnings went into their own retirement fund. That was generally not the choice of the federal government. It was the choice of CalSTRS and the teachers who agreed to the terms when they were employed.

Yes, many are shocked when they get to the end of their employment careers and discover they havent qualified for SS. But they should have known if from the start. Heck, I knew full time teaches that worked less than 20 hours a week, paid student aides minimum wage to grade papers and pulled down over 100k/year. They could have easily gotten some kind of part time job to qualify for SS..........and still worked less hours than the rest of us.

If they paid nothing into it and then expected SS benefits, the rest of us would be the ones getting screwed.

John Harper - 3-6-2018 at 10:48 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  

John

Teachers didnt get screwed. Teachers never paid into the system while they were working. That 6.2% deduction from their earnings went into their own retirement fund. That was generally not the choice of the federal government. It was the choice of CalSTRS and the teachers who agreed to the terms when they were employed.

Yes, many are shocked when they get to the end of their employment careers and discover they havent qualified for SS. But they should have known if from the start. Heck, I knew full time teaches that worked less than 20 hours a week, paid student aides minimum wage to grade papers and pulled down over 100k/year. They could have easily gotten some kind of part time job to qualify for SS..........and still worked less hours than the rest of us.

If they paid nothing into it and then expected SS benefits, the rest of us would be the ones getting screwed.

Well, I worked the corporate world for many years and qualified for my SS fair and square, as well as a nice 401k. Then, I decided on a career change and paid into STRS as well. Don't tell me I don't get screwed out of part of my SS earnings.

I'd love to see you teach a class sometime, any time. Your bullchit about teachers having it easy is just that. Bullchit. All the teachers I work with are dedicated professionals that love their work educating our future leaders. What have you ever done for our future? Procreated? Hopefully not.

John

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by John Harper]

woody with a view - 3-6-2018 at 11:05 AM

Pass the popcorn!

:P

Bajaboy - 3-6-2018 at 12:29 PM

John

I paid into SS before I became a teacher. I earned enough credits to draw SS. But politicians decided that because I'm going to get a pension, I should not receive my full SS benefits. This is complete BS and only applies to teachers as far as I know.

As for my contributions, I pay 10.25% of my earnings into my pension. In addition, I have other retirement accounts as well. I don't know any teachers that work 20 hours and make a 100K per year. But hey, keep believing what you want...doesn't make it the truth.

Paco Facullo - 3-6-2018 at 12:35 PM

Fishbuck, you wrote

"And the insanity of a cold beer on a hot beach/senorita is strong."

I'm guessing you mean "insanely wonderful " don't you ?

Add in, a line in the water , an umbrella and a cigar, and you have, what MOST guy's would call
    "It don't get any better than this !"

Ps,,, Also with a taco stand close by .........

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by Paco Facullo]

John Harper - 3-6-2018 at 12:41 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

John

I paid into SS before I became a teacher. I earned enough credits to draw SS. But politicians decided that because I'm going to get a pension, I should not receive my full SS benefits. This is complete BS and only applies to teachers as far as I know.

As for my contributions, I pay 10.25% of my earnings into my pension. In addition, I have other retirement accounts as well. I don't know any teachers that work 20 hours and make a 100K per year. But hey, keep believing what you want...doesn't make it the truth.

It's pretty obvious Kook has no idea what he's talking about.

John

caj13 - 3-6-2018 at 01:15 PM

Hook,
    as pointed out by John, you have anbsolutley no freaking idea what you are talking about.
    Yes california Teachers (thanks to Ronnie reagan BTW) essentially opted out of SS to fund their own retirement system. turns out its a hell of alot better deal that SS was, and is much more stable finaNcially, with much better monthly benefits.

But Myself, and John, we worked for 20 years IN OTHER STATES OR OTHER JOBS, Before we came into the CalSTirs system, paying into SS like everyone else. But - since we now have CALSTIRS, the feds think its really funny to reduce the amount of payment we have earned by paying in SS for all those years - they reduce our payments 40 - 60%.

If they want to do that - give me back all the money I paid ionto SS, I won't even ask for interest, and i can reinvest it and do quite well.

John, Myself and a whole lot of other Cal teachers are being systematically screwed by SS - and they don't even provide A SMALL JAR OF VASOLINE - TO SMOOTH OUT THE PAIN!

Paco Facullo - 3-6-2018 at 01:30 PM

O K now,

How did Fishbucks " You're so cheap " thread turn into a discussion on Ca. teachers S/S retirement benefits ?????

The REAL issue her is how does a recovering alcoholic with TOO much time on his hands deal with retirement ????

Let's get back on track, shall we ????

caj13 - 3-6-2018 at 02:49 PM

fishbucks,
    Jump on the place AKMaxx has in Mulege - get a small inflatable zodiak with a small outboard (3 - 5K for nice ones) , or kayak (1 - 3 K outitted) , and a small 4 wd vehicle, like a samuarai or an old cherokee (2000 - 4000) . try it out for a year - the rent will cost you less than 4K for the whole year - what do you have to loose, by the end of the year, you will know if thats the direction you want to take!

rent, transportation, fishing platform, for under 16K for the year. at the end of the year you can sell the boat and vehicle for what you paid, if you deside it's not for you, or move forward with the 2nd year getting really cheap!

Or lay out 15K or so for this place - in san Felipe http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88517
    housing, transprtation electrical all taken care off, super cheap from there.

chavycha - 3-6-2018 at 02:59 PM

I know I can find one for $20,000 all day.

That may have been true several years ago but certainly not today. A well-kept 140 with a mid-time engine and tolerable avionics (but no WAAS GPS) is nearing $30k now. Then there's the ongoing maintenance and insurance costs. An annual with just a little bit of work will cost you as much as a year in Baja...

Also not sure I'd want one for a lot of rough strip work. I own a 180 and it's a great plane, but the prop clearance sucks and you'll beat your flaps and stabilator to hell on gravel runways. Heck, just one rock ding in the wrong place on the prop and you're looking at a $4,500 replacement.

I'd love to have a bunch of shiny toys (truck, big boat, etc.) but the plane basically eats up my recreation budget (and then some). Aviation is not a cheap hobby.

Anyway, back to your regularly-scheduled discussion of California teacher's pensions.

[Edited on 3-6-2018 by chavycha]

BajaTed - 3-6-2018 at 03:34 PM

Just a datapoint
    https://www.reuters.com/article/us-california-calstrs-return...

1.4% ROI for having a social justice based portfolio.
    Be a D.I.P. it pays more. I invest in stupidity - RJ Reynolds and Coca Cola, great monthly dividend checks

woody with a view - 3-6-2018 at 04:14 PM

1.4%? in the midst of this bull market?
    :lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

Don Jorge - 3-6-2018 at 05:36 PM

So true.

The average Mexican worker laboring in the peso economy, picking the fruit and vegetables, assembling dry flower arrangements, cleaning hotel rooms, washing dishes, pruning vines, maintaining grounds and swimming pools at hotels, in fact most manual labor jobs in Baja California pay on average 1000 pesos per week.

Mom and dad both work, together they earn 2000 pesos a week. In dollars that is about $110. They have children in school, they feed and clothe their family, they own maybe one beater car with no legal plates, sometimes it runs, once in a while the cops shake them down about the plates, and somehow they get by.

You talk about living cheaply. Quit talking, just do it. They do it.
    Of course, there are some in Baja California, in San Quintin, who prefer to make ends meet using other methods. They work n the wealth redistribution industry.

Every casa at Pedregal has iron work on every window and door. NO reason to wonder why is there.

caj13 - 3-6-2018 at 06:04 PM

well seeing as how he quotes a single data point - from 2016 - pretty sure that would be considered cherry picking - would it not?

of course he ignored this - in his intrepid google search
    https://www.calstrs.com/news-release/calstrs-reports-13.4-pe...

13.4% last year

surabi - 3-7-2018 at 12:57 PM

Just try to not be so frugal that you neglect to tip appropriately in restaurants, etc. Mexicans generally get paid very low wages and depend on tips to get by. It costs them the same to gas up their vehicles as it costs you.

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 01:20 PM

I like this idea!

fishbucks,
    Jump on the place AKMaxx has in Mulege - get a small inflatable zodiak with a small outboard (3 - 5K for nice ones) , or kayak (1 - 3 K outitted) , and a small 4 wd vehicle, like a samuarai or an old cherokee (2000 - 4000) . try it out for a year - the rent will cost you less than 4K for the whole year - what do you have to loose, by the end of the year, you will know if thats the direction you want to take!

rent, transportation, fishing platform, for under 16K for the year. at the end of the year you can sell the boat and vehicle for what you paid, if you deside it's not for you, or move forward with the 2nd year getting really cheap!

Or lay out 15K or so for this place - in san Felipe http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88517
    housing, transprtation electrical all taken care off, super cheap from there.

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 01:32 PM

Lots of places in Mexico... and the US have window bars now a days.
    I plan to use the retractable type. My place will be a little castle when I'm done. But Del Morro is fenced and gated. We have an onsite guard. Pedregal doesn't... yet.
    Thank you for the honest info regarding the income of an average local Mexican family.
    So I will "just do it" when I gather enough info to learn how to "do" it.
    That's how it's done.:coolup:

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  

So true.

The average Mexican worker laboring in the peso economy, picking the fruit and vegetables, assembling dry flower arrangements, cleaning hotel rooms, washing dishes, pruning vines, maintaining grounds and swimming pools at hotels, in fact most manual labor jobs in Baja California pay on average 1000 pesos per week.

Mom and dad both work, together they earn 2000 pesos a week. In dollars that is about $110. They have children in school, they feed and clothe their family, they own maybe one beater car with no legal plates, sometimes it runs, once in a while the cops shake them down about the plates, and somehow they get by.

You talk about living cheaply. Quit talking, just do it. They do it.
    Of course, there are some in Baja California, in San Quintin, who prefer to make ends meet using other methods. They work n the wealth redistribution industry.

Every casa at Pedregal has iron work on every window and door. NO reason to wonder why is there.

[Edited on 3-7-2018 by fishbuck]

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 01:39 PM

Thanks for the reminder.
    What is tipping etiquette in Baja these days?
    Quote: Originally posted by surabi  
    Just try to not be so frugal that you neglect to tip appropriately in restaurants, etc. Mexicans generally get paid very low wages and depend on tips to get by. It costs them the same to gas up their vehicles as it costs you.

willardguy - 3-7-2018 at 01:44 PM

Thanks for the reminder.

same as it is where you're leaving;)

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 01:54 PM

15%? I never dine out here.

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
    Thanks for the reminder.

willardguy - 3-7-2018 at 01:59 PM

Thanks for the reminder.

yup...only difference is you gotta tip a few others along the way!:lol:

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 02:21 PM

Thanks for the reminder.

yup...only difference is you gotta tip a few others along the way!:lol:

Oh... that kind of tip. Yeah, I'm a little out of practice.:saint:

sancho - 3-7-2018 at 03:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  

The average Mexican worker laboring in the peso economy, cleaning hotel rooms, washing dishes, pruning vines, maintaining grounds and swimming pools at hotels

Some time back, was a post that stuck with me, someone familiar with the tourist industry at the Cape, reported,
    I may have the # off a bit, what a housekeeping person
    at the Hotels makes for a day, it was not far off of what a tropical
    umbrella drink at poolside costs the tourist

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 03:56 PM

That means I can afford a housekeeper!
    I will do my part to help the economy by being extra lazy and messy.
    It's a Win/Win!

Hook - 3-7-2018 at 07:50 PM

No, I'm afraid I DO know what I'm talking about because I worked at a state community college in SoCal for 30 years and taught, part time, for 20 years. And I stand by everything I said. Community college teaching is the biggest gravy train in education. Ask any state university professor and they will tell you, with a good deal of envy. No research needed, no publishing requirement for CC teachers.

All it takes for a teacher to work 20 hours/week and make over 100K is to teach a few large lecture classes. They are paid extra for every seven students over the set maximum class size, in many districts. At the time I was teaching, the max class size for regular pay was around 25-30 students. But there were teachers that had classes with over a hundred and fifty students in large lecture halls. Tests were multiple choice questions using Scantron forms. And maybe 1-2 essays per semester. But those were graded by student aides, too, just like the Scantrons.

I was a classified employee (PERS system) for those thirty years and taught part time for twenty. I never paid into STRS because I worked a max of 9 hours/week, in the classroom. My SS benefits were also reduced because of my CLASSIFIED earnings. But I knew that going in. But not nearly as much as a teacher WHO NEVER PAID INTO THE SYSTEM THEIR 6.2% IN THE FIRST PLACE. Classified employees do. It's all explained to you IF you had asked about it.

And it's all explained in this article from The Motley Fool.........if you guys care to investigate AFTER THE FACT. This article revolves around the Detroit bankruptcy, but it explains the logic behind the reduction. In short, the way SS was figured was FAVORING goverment employees and a formula was created to reduce this.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2013/07/31/why-socia...

So, Mr. Harper, are you saying that IF you had know about this reduction ( that you SHOULD have known about), you would have refused your teaching job and its pay??????

Yeah, I didn't think so................

No, it doesn't just apply to teachers. It applies to whole employment classes at the federal, state, and local level.

Actually, I suspect that your teaching earnings didn't actually affect the amount of SS benefits you accrued in private industry. It just reduced what you earned from your teaching income. But I'm not sure about that. You should be able to research that on your own, for a change.

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by Hook]

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 08:46 PM

It's all part of the fake college degree necessity. Remember the old days when a High School Deploma could still get you a decent job?
    It's a form of gentrification.

The Educational Industrial Complex.
    It's very similar to the Jail Industrial Complex and the Military Industrial Complex.
    Somebody is getting very rich...

If a teacher ain't raking it in then maybe they can get a summer job that pays into social security.
    Or goof off all summer and cry about it later.

caj13 - 3-7-2018 at 09:09 PM

Ah it all comes crystal clear,
    not good enough to get the full time gig,
    spend 20 years hanging on,
    applying but never able to land the job.
    we see it all the time,
    and the end result is bitterness and vitriol for those who were good enough to make the cut,get full time.

BTW - I am full time CC. but beside my teaching load
    I also run a NSF funded research lab, staffed by my students,
    and run a consulting company on the side.

I have a dozen or so published papers, discovered 5 new species been featured on a couple of international documentaries, etc.
    I put in a few minutes more per week that the minimum! perhaps that was the differnce between me getting hired, and you not?
    take your slacker "want special treatment for minimal effort - attitude and cram it"!

We don't hire full time guys like you describe - we see 30 or 40 of em every time we advertise a job. You guys show up with an entitled attitude, and a chip on their shoulder, limited teaching skills, no record of achievement, and think you deserve the priviledge of teaching!

in our department we hire people who are interested in going above and beyond -they are driven. Its very easy to detect the slackers who want to get by putting in miniimum hours and effort.
    Pehaps you need to look in a mirror when you try and figure out why you never got hired full time!

peeed off about getting your SS reduced by your classified work - suprize - why don't you hold yourself responsible for knowing what was going on in your retirement plan? Whos fault was that?

Jon and myself knew we would be facing that reduction, and we willingly chose that pathway - but the fact remains, guys like John and I have put a heck of alot of money into the SS system, and will get very little out of it,

No, I'm afraid I DO know what I'm talking about because I worked at a state community college in SoCal for 30 years and taught, part time, for 20 years. And I stand by everything I said. Community college teaching is the biggest gravy train in education. Ask any state university professor and they will tell you, with a good deal of envy. No research needed, no publishing requirement for CC teachers.

All it takes for a teacher to work 20 hours/week and make over 100K is to teach a few large lecture classes. They are paid extra for every seven students over the set maximum class size, in many districts. At the time I was teaching, the max class size for regular pay was around 25-30 students. But there were teachers that had classes with over a hundred and fifty students in large lecture halls. Tests were multiple choice questions using Scantron forms. And maybe 1-2 essays per semester. But those were graded by student aides, too, just like the Scantrons.

I was a classified employee (PERS system) for those thirty years and taught part time for twenty. I never paid into STRS because I worked a max of 9 hours/week, in the classroom. My SS benefits were also reduced because of my CLASSIFIED earnings. But I knew that going in. But not nearly as much as a teacher WHO NEVER PAID INTO THE SYSTEM THEIR 6.2% IN THE FIRST PLACE. Classified employees do. It's all explained to you IF you had asked about it.

And it's all explained in this article from The Motley Fool.........if you guys care to investigate AFTER THE FACT. This article revolves around the Detroit bankruptcy, but it explains the logic behind the reduction. In short, the way SS was figured was FAVORING goverment employees and a formula was created to reduce this.

https://www.fool.com/retirement/general/2013/07/31/why-socia...

So, Mr. Harper, are you saying that IF you had know about this reduction ( that you SHOULD have known about), you would have refused your teaching job and its pay??????

Yeah, I didn't think so................

No, it doesn't just apply to teachers. It applies to whole employment classes at the federal, state, and local level.

Actually, I suspect that your teaching earnings didn't actually affect the amount of SS benefits you accrued in private industry. It just reduced what you earned from your teaching income. But I'm not sure about that. You should be able to research that on your own, for a change.

Hook - 3-8-2018 at 07:00 AM

Very strange, how you misread my post and drew conclusions that were not there, for a guy so steeped in research. Let's hope your area is not health-related or something more important.

I'm not the one who is crying foul over the minor loss of SS benefits. Harper is. How you missed that is mystifying. I was the one telling them "ya shoulda known". I was the one accepting of the minor loss. My teaching never impacted my SS benefits.

I'm not the one crying for special privileges. Your esteemed colleague, Harper is, I guess. I'm not crying over a loss to my SS income that totaled only 33.00/month.

You can discover undiscovered species, but you can't divine the divergent characteristics of two different human conversations in a couple of paragraphs? Come on, professor, concentrate.

And I never applied for a FT gig, because it would have taken me 5-7 years to even equal the salary I had with the combined income from teaching part time AND being a classified employee. All those teaching years were CONCURRENT with my classified job. The overall income loss would have been about 20-30%. Not gonna happen in a SoCal environment, owning a house.

You didnt consider this scenario, did you? No, you jumped to the conclusion that your psychological vetting system in interviews would have rooted me out as a slacker. I actually worked mostly 50 hour weeks, while teaching. Not exactly a slacker's schedule.

Nice research technique there, professor. Can we assume you research your books any better?

BTW, you may be published and you may do research, but you missed my point (again!). Those AREN'T a requirement of CC teaching, like they often are at the university level. THAT was part of my gravy train contention, that makes CC teaching jobs the easiest gigs in education.

I noticed you passed on refuting my 20 hour/week, 100k contention. Not surprising. It exists, doesn't it? You bet it does.

BTW, that can be accomplished on TWO WORKING DAYS. Two days on, five days off, 100k+ with a pension. And you can be sure that any teacher with any seniority can get this, especially at times when his/her stint as department chair comes up.

That's pretty gravy these days.........

John Harper - 3-8-2018 at 10:20 AM

It's true, we all make decisions in life that affect the future. Still, there is no place for denigrating people's choice of employment. Funny how teachers always get criticized, yet police and fire employees regularly retire in their early 50's fully pensioned, without a peep from critics.

I'm sure there are also many people (our President?) out there who barely put in an eight hour day like the mystery $100K teachers you apparently know. I don't seem to find any of them in our district, however. I'll certainly look for openings that offer those kind of perks, if they exist.

John

[Edited on 3-8-2018 by John Harper]

Hook - 3-8-2018 at 11:55 AM

Your point is well taken, John. First responders do get a bit of a pass on this front. Chalk it up to the dangerous nature of their jobs.

I dont criticize teachers at the primary and secondary level. They put in long hours and they put up with kids and adolescents. And their pay is a lot less. I have always supported their efforts for better pay. I dealt with some students that were BARELY above adolescents, psychologically, (mostly the guys, of course!), but I had a number of students that were older than me and returning to school to be re-trained. That's much easier than the primary and secondary students.

It's pretty amazing how salaries for teachers and classified can differ from state to state. My pension from CA as a classified employee is actually greater than a guy I know in Idaho who retired as a PRINCIPAL. Pretty much the same number of years. CA is near the top in salaries in education. Idaho is near the bottom, or so he said.

I'll close with this thought, and let Fishbuck get back to trying to live on 100.00/month. :lol:

Some people complain about a reduction in SS benefits if they earn too much WHILE ON SS. I dont understand that. What's the problem; you're making more than you were. You never earn LESS, overall. All you are out is your free time..........but you knew that going in to a new job while in retirement.

Just to be clear, I am not accusing you of this, John. Just a general observation.

sancho - 3-8-2018 at 09:20 PM

It's all part of the fake college degree necessity.

I thought I was the only one who believed in that theory,
    here in So.Orange, they send junior to get some worthless
    4 yr. degree from State College or the Cal University system,
    a degree in Paleontology, is what one came home with. Daddy has a good income, hence
    these parents hold on to archaic idea that a degree will
    somehow allow junior to prosper. The all come back, after
    their higher education and live at home. But at least they
    didn't have to take out loans. But it must be daunting for
    a 20 something to try to make sense of what to do

caj13 - 3-9-2018 at 03:43 PM

Hey Hook,
    Just to correct a very few of you many obvious mistatements and untruths.

1. That "minor" deduction in SS benefits - in my case it will be $786 per month. Thats US Dollars , not Pesos. i don't consider that minor.

2. we are required to have 22 contact hours - thats face to face time - per week with the students, we also are required to serve on multiple committees, write content, manage grades, meet with students individually, department and division meetings. thats a bit different than 20 hours a week!

3. and for future reference, remeber you got paid in your classified position, because us teachers were putting students butts uin seats. Your salary depended on us teachers doing actual teaching.

and a personal note - I have pulled in over 4.5 million dollars in various research grants, depending on the college and the grant, 25 - 40% of those grants were handed over to the college - to hire more administrators and classified personnel.

damned lazy teachers earning their salaries, and then earning enough to cover a boatload of classified and admin as well! Your welcome!

[Edited on 3-9-2018 by caj13]

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2018 at 04:46 PM

Teachers rock!

People that complain about teachers are ignoramuses!

fishbuck - 3-9-2018 at 06:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
    Teachers rock!

Amen, brother mountain creature 6.

Hook - 3-9-2018 at 08:10 PM

Hey Hook,
    Just to correct a very few of you many obvious mistatements and untruths.

1. That "minor" deduction in SS benefits - in my case it will be $786 per month. Thats US Dollars , not Pesos. i don't consider that minor.

2. we are required to have 22 contact hours - thats face to face time - per week with the students, we also are required to serve on multiple committees, write content, manage grades, meet with students individually, department and division meetings. thats a bit different than 20 hours a week!

3. and for future reference, remeber you got paid in your classified position, because us teachers were putting students butts uin seats. Your salary depended on us teachers doing actual teaching.

and a personal note - I have pulled in over 4.5 million dollars in various research grants, depending on the college and the grant, 25 - 40% of those grants were handed over to the college - to hire more administrators and classified personnel.

damned lazy teachers earning their salaries, and then earning enough to cover a boatload of classified and admin as well! Your welcome!

[Edited on 3-9-2018 by caj13]

What are you saying? That your contract requires you to put in 22 office hours per week, outside of your classes? What constitutes face to face "contact hours" if it isnt office hours?

That's WAY different than the district I worked in, if so. FT teaches put in as few as 2-3 office hours per week. It's possible that could explain our disagreements. Some contracts might be cushier than others.

On the SS deduction, are/were you paying into SS as part of your teaching? Are you STRS?

I never claimed that a teacher's reduction was minor. I said MY reduction was minor. I dont know how much a teacher's reduction might be. But I knew several that reached retirement age, never paid into SS, and were "shocked" that they were going to draw SS benes. Of course, there was no matching SS funds paid by the District to the feds, either.

Ya cant get insurance if no one pays the premium.

I guess I'm surprised you haven't gotten the NEA to overturn it if it is so unfair. :?:

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by Hook]

caj13 - 3-10-2018 at 07:14 AM

hook,
    I was in the same situation as John, we both had careers prior to and outside of teaching, in those positions, we paid into SS. But when we became full time teachers, paying into STRs, we lost 60% of our earned monthly benefits from SS.
    assuming we had quit working - at the time we changed careers, we had earned a specific $ number per month from SS - based on what we had paid in, and how long we had been paying.

Because we chose to teach, and go into STRS, that SS payout is (or will be) reduced by 60%.

so You taught for 20 years in a CC, and you don't know what "contact Hours" are?. its all laid out in your contract, and scheduling and class assignments are completely predicated on FTEH, and Contact hours.
    pretty hard to have a discussion with you when you are making all sorts of ridiculous claims about teachers workloads, and yet you have no idea how all that works? in spite of having "20 years" of teaching experience? weird!

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by caj13]

[Edited on 3-10-2018 by caj13]

Hook - 3-10-2018 at 09:42 PM

I dont know what more I can say about your SS reduction. Yes, it is substantial. But you didnt pay in, while within STRS. And your employer didn't match it. But you probably paid a similar percentage into STRS which will result in an increased benefit from them. That makes up for a portion of the reduction; maybe all of it; I dont know.

Here is the nuts and bolts about the reduction.

https://www.ssa.gov/pubs/EN-05-10045.pdf

Looks like there is an exemption IF you put in 30 years of work with "substantial earnings under Social Security". How much short of that are you?

JoeJustJoe - 3-11-2018 at 12:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
    Teachers rock!

I don't usually complain about teachers, but not all teachers rock.

I'm also trying to get over the shock that Hook, claims he was a state community college teacher!

It's so sad that the vast majority of community college students, never graduate.

DanO - 3-11-2018 at 01:33 AM

Pretty sure we've reached the end of the utility of this thread now. The only thing we need now is a reference to turtles.

Paco Facullo - 3-11-2018 at 03:42 AM

Here ya go.............

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRCe5L1imxg

Hook - 3-11-2018 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  
    Pretty sure we've reached the end of the utility of this thread now. The only thing we need now is a reference to turtles.

You are correct , (except turtle soup might be more appropriate).

No one has been able to refute my claim that there are CC instructors that work 20hrs/week and make 100K. But I knew that, going in.

The SS discussion was just a smoke screen.........with tears. More like a fog bank, really.

caj13 - 3-11-2018 at 07:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by DanO  

You are correct , (except turtle soup might be more appropriate).

No one has been able to refute my claim that there are CC instructors that work 20hrs/week and make 100K. But I knew that, going in.

The SS discussion was just a smoke screen.........with tears. More like a fog bank, really.

actually I did refute it - conclusively, unfortunately your complete lack of knowledge on the subject did not allow you to understand.

once again, by contract 22 contact hours - and yes i did define that term above, apparently you chose to ignore it.

on top of that, you are required by contract to serve on committees, which typically involved lots of reading and research. You are required to work on program review, as well as accrediation stuff, as well as grading, managing class records, writing content, writing exams, serve on evaluation committees, serve on hiring committees, other than that - nothing to it.

The part timers cruise through without doing anything beyond showing up for their classes, so often they have absolutley no idea about all of the other stuff full time faculty are required to do. that is obviously the case here!

mtgoat666 - 3-11-2018 at 07:43 PM

Whoa!
    This thread went off track!
    Fishead came here looking for ideas on how to Retire in Mexico on $5 per day,... can you teachers teach the fishead????

Let’s see some teaching!

Hook - 3-11-2018 at 08:56 PM

Nope, you didnt refute it. You gave YOUR situation.......which was immaterial.

I never said YOU worked 20 hrs/week and pulled down 100K. I only said I knew teachers in my district who did.

But you went into FTEH, hoping to confuse me, because you are a science guy who has lab hours. Not pertinent to the discussion, because.........

The teachers I knew were history, film appreciation, math, literature, etc. No lab hours involved at all. Just bigass lecture classes. Remember what I said, every 7 students above the typical maximum class size was another FTEH. There, I used your term. Starting to get it, yet?

Now, get the NEA working on your gripe about your SS reduction. Maybe have them throw in a stipend for a lifetime supply of Kleenex for you!

caj13 - 3-13-2018 at 09:50 AM

I'm calling BS. Any way to put me in touch with these mysterious teachers who only work 20 hours a week, and earn 100K? BTW all public employees, including every California CC teacher, has their salary listed on a public website. some do make 100K, but They work a hell of alot more than 20 hours a week!
    Are you sure they don't serve on any committees, or work on program review, or academic senate, or have release time as a department chair, or to clean up the messes of incompetent admin and classified who find out their great ideas require work ethic and skill, and the only ones they can find with both, are full time faculty.

so just PM or U2U or email me a name, a contact a phone number -
    something like that. I will contact them, verify you are correct, and publically post it here that you were right! Then you can strut in all your glory!

Of course we both know what comes next, you spend time hemming and hawing, trying to fabricate all sort of excuses why you can't do that.

we also know the real reason why - don't we Hook. Because your bold statement - you know good and well its complete BS - you are just repeating a long wispered, easy to verify as false talking point by those who can't - but wish they could! v(Teach)

/
    Nope, you didnt refute it. You gave YOUR situation.......which was immaterial.

I never said YOU worked 20 hrs/week and pulled down 100K. I only said I knew teachers in my district who did.

But you went into FTEH, hoping to confuse me, because you are a science guy who has lab hours. Not pertinent to the discussion, because.........

The teachers I knew were history, film appreciation, math, literature, etc. No lab hours involved at all. Just bigass lecture classes. Remember what I said, every 7 students above the typical maximum class size was another FTEH. There, I used your term. Starting to get it, yet?

Now, get the NEA working on your gripe about your SS reduction. Maybe have them throw in a stipend for a lifetime supply of Kleenex for you!

[Edited on 3-13-2018 by caj13]

Alm - 3-14-2018 at 06:20 PM

Something is wrong with these numbers. I'm getting more in my savings accounts :)

[Edited on 3-15-2018 by Alm]

BajaMama - 3-15-2018 at 11:03 AM

To jump on a sinking ship... when I taught in Las Vegas there was a teacher shortage. The district offered retired teachers their full salary if they would come back to work and their retirement pension would not be affected. Double dipping at it's finest. I personally knew teachers who retired in June with full pension, then came back to work in August. This was an especially good situation for 55 year old retirees. Full insurance and the windfall salary/pension.

bledito - 3-15-2018 at 11:32 AM

get an old Winnebago park it on a free beach arroyo area live on tacos. free fire wood on most beaches collect a lot after storms. internet in town at some restaraunts get the password find a spot close by free wifi. ride a bicycletta, drive only when neccasary. my guess you could get by on 300 usa a month.

Paco Facullo - 3-15-2018 at 12:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bledito  
    get an old Winnebago park it on a free beach arroyo area live on tacos. free fire wood on most beaches collect a lot after storms. internet in town at some restaraunts get the password find a spot close by free wifi. ride a bicycletta, drive only when neccasary. my guess you could get by on 300 usa a month.
    Finally back on subject..

I like your thinking bledito, although I would ONLY do that IF I had to .......................

There are certainly many worse positions to be in , in life....

JoeJustJoe - 3-15-2018 at 12:32 PM

I'm calling BS. Any way to put me in touch with these mysterious teachers who only work 20 hours a week, and earn 100K? BTW all public employees, including every California CC teacher, has their salary listed on a public website. some do make 100K, but They work a hell of alot more than 20 hours a week!
    Are you sure they don't serve on any committees, or work on program review, or academic senate, or have release time as a department chair, or to clean up the messes of incompetent admin and classified who find out their great ideas require work ethic and skill, and the only ones they can find with both, are full time faculty.

so just PM or U2U or email me a name, a contact a phone number -
    something like that. I will contact them, verify you are correct, and publically post it here that you were right! Then you can strut in all your glory!

Of course we both know what comes next, you spend time hemming and hawing, trying to fabricate all sort of excuses why you can't do that.

we also know the real reason why - don't we Hook. Because your bold statement - you know good and well its complete BS - you are just repeating a long wispered, easy to verify as false talking point by those who can't - but wish they could! v(Teach)

You are right to call BS on Hook, with his lazy charges against community college teachers, he says are only working 20 hours a week and nothing more, yet they are pulling down $100,000 a year.

In general most teachers from elementary school to college, usually put in less than 25 hours in a week in actual classroom teaching , but most teachers, do so much more on lesson plans, grading papers, staff meetings, student meetings, and many other works, including a few that Caj13, mentioned.

Of course, there are a few teachers, that been working so long, that they just "call it in" and recycle, old material, and do very little outside the classroom. Maybe, Hook, is talking about a few lazy teachers/professors, he knows.

BTW $100,000 dollars, isn't what it once was. Many professionals, easily bring home $100K a year, or more.

Regarding the well meaning, "double dipping" law of the Windfall Elimination Provision (WEP), and it's sister law, Government Pension Offset. (GPO)

You only have to look at what's going on in California, that there are some real problems, with teachers, believing they're being shortchanged by having their social security drastically cut, or their spouse or children being denied coverage under a number of different scenarios. ( A lot depends on specific cases, it would be fair to some, and unfair to others)

This is why great senators, like, Dianne Feinstein, are busy trying to get the “double dipping” law changed, and it's not only Feinstein, that is working on the problem, many politicians, and lawyers, are trying to make changes to the WEP.

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by JoeJustJoe]

fishbuck - 3-15-2018 at 12:35 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
    Finally back on subject..

I like your thinking bledito, although I would ONLY do that IF I had to .......................

There are certainly many worse positions to be in , in life....

I like it. I will do this in some form.

ehall - 3-15-2018 at 12:41 PM

$300 a month is only $3600 a year. I can afford to go too. Just got to run it by the wife first. lol

Paco Facullo - 3-15-2018 at 12:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by ehall  
    $300 a month is only $3600 a year. I can afford to go too. Just got to run it by the wife first. lol
    Heck, $3600 a year ? That would barely take care of my beer ...................

And women ... That's a whole nother thing !!!!

[Edited on 3-15-2018 by Paco Facullo]

BajaMama - 3-15-2018 at 03:59 PM

Teacher contract hours are nearly 40 hours a week..... then you add in all the free over time for grading & lesson planning. We don't have time to do these things during regular hours because we spend too much time on Section 501 & EOP accommodations & parent teacher meetings.

caj13 - 3-15-2018 at 04:09 PM

For those of you worried we are off topic here, and leaving fishbuck stranded - we already solved that issue - see the 100 bucks a month thread - hes all set. so now all this thread is about is waiting for Hook to actually provide proof of his statement. we are still waiting for him to provide us a name of an individual Cal CC teacher who makes 100K a year and only works 20 hours. I stand ready and waiting to verrify his claim, and admit I am wrong, but so far - once he got called out on his BS - he seems to have went silent!

willardguy - 3-15-2018 at 04:15 PM

For those of you worried we are off topic here, and leaving fishbuck stranded - we already solved that issue - see the 100 bucks a month thread - hes all set. so now all this thread is about is waiting for Hook to actually provide proof of his statement. we are still waiting for him to provide us a name of an individual Cal CC teacher who makes 100K a year and only works 20 hours. I stand ready and waiting to verrify his claim, and admit I am wrong, but so far - once he got called out on his BS - he seems to have went silent!

Toms still waiting for you to show up in Bakersfield with 10 teddy bears....why not give it a rest:rolleyes:

Alm - 3-16-2018 at 01:24 AM

I've seen Mexican hobos in Baja living like this. Once it was a wreck of a school bus near local dump, another time - a wreck of RV bus in a flood zone. Buses were not going anywhere, no wheels. I believe $US 300 was what all their clan of 5 or 6 was living on.

Realistically, for a gringo it's at least $400-500/month on top of housing costs if he eats only what he cooks. No tacos.

fishbuck - 3-16-2018 at 01:30 AM

Are you saying $400-500 for food per month? Or does that include other non-housing costs?

gnukid - 3-16-2018 at 07:01 AM

Fishbuck Yes $400-500 for food for a month is less than $17 per day

Caj13 Yes teachers can easily make over $100k especially when you include benefits in total compensation which is often %30-40 of salary to cover medical insurance etc. for the whole family Salaries are public anyone can google it including you here is an example of pay scale without benefits so add %30-40

https://transparentcalifornia.com/salaries/school-districts/...
    https://www.ousd.org/cms/lib07/CA01001176/Centricity/Domain/...

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by gnukid]

ehall - 3-16-2018 at 07:15 AM

You had to ruin it for me. Forgot about beer and entertainment cost. I guess I better work for a while longer. haha

bajatrailrider - 3-16-2018 at 08:28 AM

You had to ruin it for me. Forgot about beer and entertainment cost. I guess I better work for a while longer. haha
    Ed you forgot monthly off road expense Jeeps/ dirt bikes. Mine cost me 10 times monthly living expense.:) Don't work too long as you wont enjoy your Toys

caj13 - 3-16-2018 at 09:02 AM

Quote: Originally posted by gnukid  

Caj13 Yes teachers can easily make over $100k especially when you include benefits in total compensation which is often %30-40 of salary to cover medical insurance etc. for the whole family Salaries are public anyone can google it including you here is an example of pay scale without benefits so add %30-40

never questioned the 100K Gnukid, The point of contention is this "only work 20 hours per week" claim by Hook. still patiently waiting for him to provide a real life example of that!

AKgringo - 3-16-2018 at 09:26 AM

still patiently waiting for him to provide a real life example of that!

My patience detector found, nothing!

JoeJustJoe - 3-16-2018 at 10:12 AM

Who counts their benefit package when they are bragging about how much money they make?

I'm going to try it next time I brag how much money I make, especially if I'm at bar talking to a young lady, or at a stupid forum trying to impress others.

JJJ talking: " Hey did you know I make over $100,000 dollars a year, if you count my benefit package?"

Girl at the bar. " Goodbye, loser.

Baja Nomad member, " JJJ, I'm really impressed, that's more than I make on SS."

Alm - 3-16-2018 at 10:58 AM

Are you saying $400-500 for food per month? Or does that include other non-housing costs?

Including everything but rent.

Grocery alone is not nearly that much, but then there are bills, propane, car repairs, gas, over the counter meds, occasional dental, new pair of glasses - endless. Even with rental home there is always some spending on "casa", something to fix/buy/repair.

fishbuck - 3-16-2018 at 11:25 AM

In Newport the girls ask for your Credit report before they will date you. That's at the bar when you 1st try to talk to them.
    $100,000 is considered a "homeless" loser in Newport.
    Next!

mtgoat666 - 3-16-2018 at 11:36 AM

In Newport the girls ask for your Credit report before they will date you. That's at the bar when you 1st try to talk to them.
    $100,000 is considered a "homeless" loser in Newport.
    Next!

Smart girls!

fishbuck - 3-16-2018 at 11:39 AM

;D
    Quote: Originally posted by Alm  

Grocery alone is not nearly that much, but then there are bills, propane, car repairs, gas, over the counter meds, occasional dental, new pair of glasses - endless. Even with rental home there is always some spending on "casa", something to fix/buy/repair.

Ok, that is what I was thinking.
    I gotta gave cable and wifi.
    I like burning electricity. I like lights.
    I like cooking with fire
    I like being warm.
    I'm not afraid of being too warm. I like it. Burn may need aircon in summer.
    I like water. I'm a showeraholic and obsessive clean freak. Some have refered to me as "anal retentive". I prefer "cleanfreak" or "germaphobe".
    I will try and start my plants so probably lots of water for seedlings etc...
    How much is average water cost for 1 person?
    Electricity for 1?
    How much is cable in Baja?

I burn $230/month here for electric. It's been cold.
    In summer here aircon is prefered for about 3-4 months.
    Cable is $300 with wifi (700 channels of cra*!).
    Phone $300/month.

greengoes - 3-16-2018 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

I'm going to try it next time I brag how much money I make, especially if I'm at bar talking to a young ladyboy,

JJJ talking: " Hey did you know I make over $100,000 dollars a year, if you count my benefit package?"

Ladyboy at the bar. " Ahhhh...joe...you come with me to callejon.

Sol can vouch for joe that the line really works - a friend of his friend told him.

John Harper - 3-16-2018 at 11:43 AM

My roommate pays $25 a month for WiFi in Campo Lopez. You can get an ATT plan for about $40 that works in Baja.

John

[Edited on 3-16-2018 by John Harper]

del mar - 3-16-2018 at 11:47 AM

;D

I like cooking with fire
    I like being warm.
    I like water. I'm a showeraholic and obsessive clean freak. Some have refered to me as "anal retentive". I prefer "cleanfreak" or "germaphobe".
    Electricity for 1?

Phone $300/month.

been dialing 900 numbers?:O

gnukid - 3-16-2018 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

Who counts their benefit package when they are bragging about how much money they make?

I'm going to try it next time I brag how much money I make, especially if I'm at bar talking to a young lady, or at a stupid forum trying to impress others.

Girl at the bar. " Goodbye, loser.

Baja Nomad member, " JJJ, I'm really impressed, that's more than I make on SS."

Total salary + benefits package is what is reported for teachers, there is a multibillion dollar lawsuit against LA schools for forcing out teachers with high salary and high benefits since teachers benefits cover their families which can be very high, people do quote salary and benefits as their total compensation, unless you have no benefits JJJ and it is a big deal to current and future significant others. I have school teacher friends who earn 40k base and 60k benefits when calculated for all family members.

https://www.cnn.com/2015/10/15/us/los-angeles-teacher-class-...

[Edited on 3-17-2018 by gnukid]

fishbuck - 3-16-2018 at 08:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
    ;D

I like cooking with fire
    I like being warm.
    Electricity for 1?

Phone $300/month.

been dialing 900 numbers?:O

I don't remember why my phone bill is so high. But everytime I look into it that is the correct amount.
    With Sprint.
    And I get a good Boeing discount too.
    The basic service plus unlimited data, a tablet with a couple hours of time, I had three phones on it but down to two now.
    So I want to dump my US phone or at least downsize the service as much as I can.
    I can still see a need for for 2 phones. 1 US and 1 Baja.
    Is it possible to have 1 phone that does both and doesn't cost a ton of pesos?

[Edited on 3-17-2018 by fishbuck]

mtgoat666 - 3-16-2018 at 08:55 PM

;D

I like cooking with fire
    I like being warm.
    Electricity for 1?

Phone $300/month.

You are a fool to pay 300/month for phone and 300/month for cable tv

I can’t begin to analyze the silliness of having ac in western Washington...

Pages:  1