BajaNomad

Cambios in Calexico

AKgringo - 3-5-2018 at 04:38 PM

Last year .I had problems drawing cash from ATMs in Mulege and Loreto, and the banks would not even exchange my greenbacks!

This year I decided to bring lots of pesos and save the drama, but I had a hell of a time finding a Cambio that had pesos! The Wells Fargo there had none, and I went to four different cambios before I got lucky.

One of them told me that they are having problems getting pesos from the Mexican banks. I could be wrong, but the one that had cash on hand might be accepting pesos with no commission charged! Anyway, they had a line of people trading cash both ways.

For what it is worth, they are on the east side of the street leading to the downtown crossing. They are combined with a gas station, tienda and another business.

Edit; I am posting this from LA TAZA EXPRESS in San Felipe (excellent internet) It will probably be a day or two before I will be able to respond to any questions.

[Edited on 3-5-2018 by AKgringo]

David K - 3-5-2018 at 05:49 PM

The Casa de Cambio small building, in the parking lot of the auto parts store (Auto Zone?) in Calexico just a couple blocks north of the border has always been great (in 2016 and 2017 many times) this is on the southbound, west side of the main street to Mexicali (Hwy. 111).

Cancamo - 3-5-2018 at 07:20 PM

There were multiple drive-through casa de cambios giving a decent exchange rate in Mexicali, (better rate than NOB). All located after crossing heading south.
Never ever had any issues using Schwab debit card at ATMs anywhere in Mexico and other countries and all fees are reimbursed by Schwab, regardless of the bank used.
Hope that helps.

John Harper - 3-6-2018 at 07:22 AM

Did you notify your ATM card company that you would be in Mexico? I have to do that with my B of A card. Probably any credit card you plan to use as well.

John

thebajarunner - 3-6-2018 at 09:48 AM

Last Saturday I got 7000 pesos from the HSBC ATM in Mexicali en route to San Felipe
The official exchange rate that day was 18.5 and the bank gave me 17.4
That is the worst, by far, exchange dump I have ever gotten from a bank ATM
What is going on???
Plus a 30 peso commission, of course

AKgringo - 3-6-2018 at 11:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Did you notify your ATM card company that you would be in Mexico? I have to do that with my B of A card. Probably any credit card you plan to use as well.

John

I always notify my card issuers when I am going to cross south. In fact, my cards worked fine (last year) I could check balances, tranfer funds etc, the machiens just wouldn't give me cash! Neither would the banks when I presented US currency.

At the Wells Fargo in Calexico yesterday, before I got into a very long line I asked if I would be able to exchange my US currency. They told me that I gcould get Euros, but they didn't have any pesos! Helpful, no?

I don't know what it means, but all of the pemex stations seem to be short of smaller denomination bills to make change.