BajaNomad

Hospitality and friendliness

thebeckster - 3-5-2018 at 09:26 PM

What happened to friendliness and hospitality in Baja? Riding last week with a group of friends between Conejo and Marquis. Pulled up to a hilltop to get an idea of which which way to head when an A**hole in an SUV rolls up and says get off the private property! Wow!

mtgoat666 - 3-5-2018 at 10:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by thebeckster  
What happened to friendliness and hospitality in Baja? Riding last week with a group of friends between Conejo and Marquis. Pulled up to a hilltop to get an idea of which which way to head when an A**hole in an SUV rolls up and says get off the private property! Wow!

You were trespassing.
The more outrageous thing is you thought you had a right to ride on private land and are offended when the land owner did not offer you hugs and kisses.

David K - 3-5-2018 at 10:27 PM

If you went through a fence or locked gate somehow??
Sounds like you might have met a Baja Nomad named Rob, the owner of Playas Pacificas (Rancho La Aguja)?
Super nice guy if you are invited onto his land!
There are still lot's of unfenced country to enjoy...

Maderita - 3-5-2018 at 10:29 PM

thebeckster,
Don't mind mtgoat's lack of "Hospitality and friendliness"
He must be off his meds again...

It does pose a good question, did you pass any signs or gates?
Did you mean Punta Conejo and Punta Marquez (not "Marquis")?

Friendliness and hospitality

thebeckster - 3-6-2018 at 05:42 PM

No fences, no signs where we road in from....a little friendliness goes a long way!

Lee - 3-6-2018 at 11:11 PM

No fences, no signs where we road in from....a little friendliness goes a long way!

You seem like a sensitive sort. DK claims the owner of the land is a super nice guy. Some folks don't take kindly to trespassers. I have a neighbor (not in Baja) who posted signs: trespassers will be shot.

An apology might have helped your situation.

mtgoat666 - 3-7-2018 at 06:54 AM

Were you on a maintained road?
If you wear off road, of course the land owner would be unhappy. Most landowners don’t want their land torn up by bikes.
Btw, there is very little public land in Baja. Virtually all land is private, and just because it is not signed or fenced does not mean the landowner doesn’t care.

Stay on roads, ask first - the land owner might be more friendly.

thebeckster - 3-7-2018 at 08:48 AM

not overly sensitive, sure hell didn’t expect hugs and kisses. If you don’t want anybody trespassing then post the hell out of and put up fences! mtgoat666 you sound like such and warm and fuzzy guy also!

Paco Facullo - 3-7-2018 at 09:03 AM

Thebeckster, You nailed it ! ( warm and fuzzy ) also

The Goat is most kind , loving and sensitive pussycat there is here on Baja Nomads , SUCH a Sweetheart !......:biggrin:

You didn't say whether the guy in the SUV was a Gringo or of Mexican decent ?
I bet I can figure it out though.....

BajaGringo - 3-7-2018 at 10:13 AM

Baja is quickly changing.

For the past several years, the process of privatizing ejido land has been accelerating. The ejidatarios are now holding assemblies month after month, dividing up millions of acres of land with hundreds of new private landholders now emerging here south of Ensenada. The laws to privatize ejido land have been changing and the process is becoming a bit simpler and faster.

You should expect for these new changes to bring more and more limitations to off-road racing as new fences are raised and private property rights being enforced.

They don't care how many years you have been using that trail or its off-road history.

If you ride off-road, I suggest you think about scoping out any changes to the access to your old routes BEFORE you embark. These new property owners are quite serious about their property rights and most of them do not look kindly on trespassers who they see cutting through locked gates or riding off marked roads, tearing up their property.

I enjoy off-road and was active myself in decades prior but we simply have to accept the new reality that is coming amigos...

norte - 3-7-2018 at 12:32 PM

Who is the A-hole here. Its his property! Is it OK if I ride across your property? or is it different because its Baja.

surabi - 3-7-2018 at 01:06 PM

Back in the 70's I and a bunch of friends had some good acid we wanted to take in a quiet, natural setting. This was on the mainland near Lake Chapala. We drove about half an hour to a very rural area, took the acid, and were just hanging out. An old Mexican man suddenly appeared and started talking to us. We were all pretty annoyed- he was just bringing us down, and none of us spoke enough Spanish to understand what he was mumbling about in his ranchero Spanish. Someone said, "I wish he'd leave". Then someone else said, "Hey, maybe its his land".
We foreigners can be so clueless sometimes.

motoged - 3-7-2018 at 01:23 PM

When you are on good Lysergic....the property belongs to the cosmos and begs to be shared....

When in the "normal" state of mind....boundaries start to pop up...internally and externally.... :coolup:

Paco Facullo - 3-7-2018 at 01:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Who is the A-hole here. Its his property! Is it OK if I ride across your property? or is it different because its Baja.
Me thinks the owner ,in this case , is the A-hole. ( He should have simply informed the bikers ) then IF the bikers ignored his request THEN the bikers would be the A-holes. But that wasn't the case as stated...

Reason being, his property isn't fenced or signed properly to let people know they are trespassing.
Pretty simple to understand, no ?

willardguy - 3-7-2018 at 01:39 PM

driving around the back roads of rosarito, and there's miles and miles, fence's and gates are popping up everywhere. I often wonder how many of these landowners are the same folks that are crowded into a small handful of their beaches because gringo's have fenced, gated and walled off access to everything else.
Ron (bajaGringo) is right, there's a new reality....its already here.

thebeckster - 3-7-2018 at 06:59 PM

You guessed correctly Paco, it’s a gringo! We left when we were told to.

advrider - 3-7-2018 at 07:22 PM

Awesome, turn Baja into California! The place I can't wait to get out of!!!!

Alm - 3-8-2018 at 01:25 AM

sure hell didn’t expect hugs and kisses. If you don’t want anybody trespassing then post the hell out of and put up fences!

Most land in Baja is private. Your were trespassing. Why would any owner "WANT" anybody trespassing? :) ... It's not like you and your friends came bearing gifts. Probably got into argument with him, too.

Fencing the heck out of it has not yet become common in this desert land, but it is getting there slowly, and I assure you that it won't be very enjoyable when it will come to this.

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2018 at 07:15 AM

not overly sensitive, sure hell didn’t expect hugs and kisses. If you don’t want anybody trespassing then post the hell out of and put up fences! mtgoat666 you sound like such and warm and fuzzy guy also!

Lack of signs or fences does not give you permission or rights to go off-road and rip up the land.

I am sure the land owners would like to avoid costs of signs and fences,.... but the fences and signs are going to go up because of a$$holes like you!

motoged - 3-8-2018 at 09:59 AM

:O:O:O

A whole lot of assumptions being thrown around in this thread...:no:

rts551 - 3-8-2018 at 12:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

True, but what is clear, is that someone was upset about people riding across their land.... This is happening more and more...Remember the attempts the Racers and Ranchers tried at smoothing things over a number of years ago...and failed.

JoeJustJoe - 3-8-2018 at 01:55 PM

The Beckster, also wrote: " What happened to friendliness and hospitality in Baja?"

I have found that Mexicans, are a lot like Americans.

There are some friendly Americans, and some unfriendly Americans, I even know a few unfriendly Americans on this forum.

So I'm at a lost why you're stereotyping a whole group of people in Baja, based on your one experience of one unfriendly person in Baja, I presume was probably Mexican?

I'm sorry you ran into a jerk, but jerks come in all colors, races, ethnic backgrounds, are population centers.

willardguy - 3-8-2018 at 01:59 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JoeJustJoe  

The Beckster, also wrote: " What happened to friendliness and hospitality in Baja?"

I have found that Mexicans, are a lot like Americans.

There are some friendly Americans, and some unfriendly Americans, I even know a few unfriendly Americans on this forum.

So I'm at a lost why you're stereotyping a whole group of people in Baja, based on your one experience of one unfriendly person in Baja, I presume was probably Mexican?

I'm sorry you ran into a jerk, but jerks come in all colors, races, ethnic backgrounds, are population centers.

how bout you read the whole thread first?:rolleyes:

motoged - 3-8-2018 at 06:54 PM

Yes....all over the place "getting out there" is getting more difficult with humanity spreading.....

I consider myself a respectful off-roader w/ motos.... I wouldn't want to rip up anybody's property and ride accordingly....as I would not tolerate that if I had land. I sometimes find myself encouraging my ride partners to follow suit ....and some don't listen....and I don't ride with them again.

I feel bad at times in Baja when riding out in the dez....and go off the road/track "to get there from here" across untouched areas....
at home here in BC we are blessed with a lot of areas that are not private land and offer world class riding.

A frequent topic among riders here is "What constitutes trespassing?" Some have said it is okay to be on "gazetted roads"...considered to be public domain....as long as you stay on the established road/trail and don't "cross-country" areas posted "no trespassing".....Signage indicating "Private Property - Keep Out" is clear and I turn around. I have never cut a fence/gate in 43 years of riding.

I have been intercepted by ranchers a few times over the years while riding on established gravel roads (not double-track dirt roads...which I call cowboy roads)...and the rancher comes up with definite attitude and territoriality....which usually dissipates when I take my helmet off and respond respectfully...and invariably the tension subsides, we discuss the area and each other's sense of the rules/decorum....and sometimes have been given info which "cowboy roads" are okay to use....

There are knuckledraggers and there are offroaders....not necessarily the same folks.

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

True, but what is clear, is that someone was upset about people riding across their land.... This is happening more and more...Remember the attempts the Racers and Ranchers tried at smoothing things over a number of years ago...and failed.

bajalinda - 3-8-2018 at 08:49 PM

OK Nomads..... Time for me to chime in with a reality check.

On a beautiful afternoon about a week ago, a large and noisy group of motorcyclists came (illegally) tearing up the beach from Punta Marquez and entered our property. They blew past a PRIVADO/NO PASE sign, and were ready to blow past a second PRIVADO/NO PASE sign on their way up to a private residential area when they slowed down and stopped to regroup. I drove out to where they were stopped and the following conversation took place:

Me: Buenos Dias. Espanol o Ingles?

Reply from one rider: English.

Me: Can I help you guys?

By this time one of the riders had got off of his bike and walked over to talk with me. He explained that he had some riders in his group who were in their 60s and he was reluctant to try to ride over or around the rocky point on the beach with them. I agreed with him that that was not a good idea. (It's hard enough to go over that rocky point on foot, let alone ride over it on a motorcycle.) I explained how the group could get back to the coastal road (without going through our property) and continue on their way to Punta Conejo. It was a cordial and civil exchange.

So I am the A**hole in the SUV. (This is the only place on the coast between Marquez and Conejo where there is an impassable rocky point and a gringo in an SUV). We have lived here for over 15 years and chose not to close off the beach with fences, relying on signs, which 99% of beach travellers respect - becksters are mercifully rare, and I have certainly never been called an A**hole on a public forum for protecting our property. My Nomad friends would NOT characterize me as aggressive either. Incidentally, I am a gringA, not the gringo the beckster is telling you about - don't know why - maybe it fits his telenovela better.

In their search for love, friendliness and hospitality, beckster trolls would be better off respecting property - perhaps waiting like a Mexican would, to be invited in. For those of you cross-country explorers who encounter new fences and locked gates, send mental thanks to the becksters, who were surely there before you.

Peace, love and tacos.

Paco Facullo - 3-8-2018 at 09:06 PM

Now there's a twist nobody saw coming ........

The plot thickens ????

[Edited on 3-9-2018 by Paco Facullo]

motoged - 3-8-2018 at 09:14 PM

The plot might be thinned out rather than thickened....facts sometimes get in the way of a narrative....

Plots get thicker when false narratives are added....to confuse the truth.....a bit of an issue these days it seems. :light:

rts551 - 3-8-2018 at 09:32 PM

Thankyou Linda for a very hospitable and friendly reply. Hope the offenders take notice and correct their behavior before they ride again. Too many think that Baja is their private playground and they can do what ever they want.

thebeckster - 3-8-2018 at 09:40 PM

Ah jeeez, you’re killing me!

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2018 at 10:01 PM

Ah jeeez, you’re killing me!

Hey beckster,
You are an a$$wipe!

bajatrailrider - 3-8-2018 at 10:48 PM

Hey MT nobody beats you ass wipe just a freak show.

Tresspassing

BajaRob - 3-9-2018 at 09:58 AM

Bajalinda you are spot on. We have been permanent residents of Baja for 15 years. We live on the beach and our attitude is live and let live. We have trespassed and been trespassed many times. Our worst encounter was when a quad driver approached our home at 40-50 miles an hour . I politely motioned for him to slow down. He responded by flipping me off. I then tossed a full coke can that hit him in the head and knocked him off the bike. I checked on him to see if he was OK. He was . I then asked him if he had a problem and he said no which was lucky for me as he was bigger.

BajaBlanca - 3-11-2018 at 08:10 AM

:o:o:o

bajatrailrider - 3-11-2018 at 09:31 AM

Most roads that have a no trespassing sign are respected. A sign is cheap if anybody keeps going on that road. Coke can in the head great idea good shot.:)