BajaNomad

$100/month

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 01:50 PM

I found my little piece of Paridise.

caj13 - 3-7-2018 at 03:03 PM

Nice, where are you locating too? what city/town? so when do you move in? no time like the present!

[Edited on 3-7-2018 by caj13]

fishbuck - 3-7-2018 at 03:53 PM

All secret at this time.
But soon very soon. Tying up loose ends and headin' south.
But so far the math is in my favor...

AKgringo - 3-7-2018 at 05:16 PM

Considering your "You're so cheap" thread, have you considered taking in a room mate to get the rent down to a more affordable level?

chippy - 3-7-2018 at 05:21 PM

What for sleeping under the tree?:?:

blackwolfmt - 3-7-2018 at 05:33 PM

wonder how far the beach is:?: If close then I really do like the place

LaTijereta - 3-7-2018 at 05:37 PM

And that includes a Gardner Service?

willardguy - 3-7-2018 at 05:37 PM

I can almost hear the dogs barking!

Paco Facullo - 3-7-2018 at 06:03 PM

Love your new rental ! Way to go, and the price is certainly right.

I sure hope you keep us all in the loop as you're adventure is sure to be interesting !
PLEASE fill us in on all the good and bad that you will encounter, if'n you will.?
Thanks

BajaBlanca - 3-7-2018 at 09:22 PM

Yes yes yes!

Each of us finds our piece of paradise in different places!

You must be very excited about this!

fishbuck - 3-8-2018 at 12:44 AM

Thanks everybody.

I have almost no limit to how humble I will go as long as it's safe. No bars on the windows. So might be ok.
I got a barky dog or 2 where I live now in Mukilteo, Wa. It's a Washington thing.

Does anyone know how much water, electric, trash, gas, cable ,etc is.
This is San Quintin area.
My guess is $300/month for rent and everything. Maybe $400.

BajaBlanca - 3-8-2018 at 07:26 AM

Oh I think much less than $400 unless you are including food costs in that.

Get yourself an inapam card - senior citizen card and water goes to half price.

For electric, pay attention to the bill as part of it is subsidized by the gvt. until you exceed their limit. We found out the hard way when our bill tripled our second year here!

Many rentals come without a fridge and stove. Mexican way of renting.

Gas: you buy the tanks and try to have a spare on hand for when you run out in the middle of dinner!

Best of luck with everything!

mtgoat666 - 3-8-2018 at 07:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

Sounds like you are trying to lease w/o seeing property. I record you go inspect it before giving any money.

Looks like it has been abandoned for a while, so probably problems of neglect.

And you got no idea about the neighbors, traffic, noise, etc.

fishbuck - 3-9-2018 at 02:28 PM

All good points chivato#6.
My selling point here is that the street is actually paved.
Recent paint
Curtains, not bar on the windows.
Very blue sky, included in rent.

I am retiring
Which means I am moving.
So yes, unless I get there and something is obviously wrong. I will move into this little house.
I'm shooting for May 1 but my need to delay a month or so.

This is the typical cookie cutter tract home baja mexico style that one sees as far south as San Quintin and around larger towns and cities.
It's a planned neighboorhood about 10-15 years old.
Streets, sewer, electric etc.
On the grid.
I can't wait.
I obviously need a gardner.
I hope the yard is bigger than it looks.
I love the big tree. Is it an olive or pepper tree?

I will start a palm nursery in the yard for my fishcamp.
I need 10 trees on each lot. 2 lots.
That's in the CC & Rs. But no one has 10 trees yet.
I will put them all on 1 side of the lot so the will be a full on palm jungle between my place and the neighboring lot. With a mister so it's always wet.
And plants to attract butterflies.
And huming birds.
And Birdfeeders so I can see all the different birds.

Any other questions, comments?

gueribo - 3-9-2018 at 02:34 PM

Congratulations on your new digs. From one Washingtonian to another, enjoy the sun!

mtgoat666 - 3-9-2018 at 02:46 PM

I obviously need a gardner.
I hope the yard is bigger than it looks.
I love the big tree. Is it an olive or pepper tree?

You are retired, you dont need a gardener, do it yourself (it's a small yard)

Does not appear to be olive nor pepper. Not sure what it is. But it is the only shade tree on the property, so treat it well. Appears to be surviving on precipitation alone, so dont kill it by giving it too much supplemental water.

sanquintinsince73 - 3-9-2018 at 03:05 PM

When I see a nice tree like that one, I have visions of relaxing in its shade, burning some beef, and sucking on three or nine Pacificos.

fishbuck - 3-9-2018 at 06:30 PM

Yeah, come on over.

Quote: Originally posted by sanquintinsince73  
When I see a nice tree like that one, I have visions of relaxing in its shade, burning some beef, and sucking on three or nine Pacificos.

advrider - 3-9-2018 at 07:24 PM

Is it a one room kinda of place? How many square feet? I think that is great plan...

Hook - 3-9-2018 at 08:15 PM

Yeah, come on over.

Now, now, nine Pacificos in a night is NOT within your retirement budget!!!

sanquintinsince73 - 3-9-2018 at 08:31 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Hook  
Yeah, come on over.

Now, now, nine Pacificos in a night is NOT within your retirement budget!!!

I figure maybe I can drink Monday, Wednesday, and Fridays allotments in one sitting.

KasloKid - 3-9-2018 at 10:41 PM

Electricity consumption... I seem to remember that if you exceed the first tier (the cheap rate), you go to the next tier, which is expensive. The kicker is you stay at that expensive rate for a full year. Learn how to read your electric meter to stay below the magic number.

fishbuck - 3-9-2018 at 11:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  
Electricity consumption... I seem to remember that if you exceed the first tier (the cheap rate), you go to the next tier, which is expensive. The kicker is you stay at that expensive rate for a full year. Learn how to read your electric meter to stay below the magic number.

Thank you! I will study this for sure.

55steve - 3-9-2018 at 11:32 PM

I just picked up a place in San Quintin as well - (2) 30' trailers on a large lot - electicity & water included for $300/mo. I am in the process of moving my brother into one of the units and the other one is for my getaway.

fishbuck - 3-10-2018 at 12:35 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 55steve  
I just picked up a place in San Quintin as well - (2) 30' trailers on a large lot - electicity & water included for $300/mo. I am in the process of moving my brother into one of the units and the other one is for my getaway.

Nice thanks.

RnR - 3-10-2018 at 07:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by KasloKid  

Thank you! I will study this for sure.

Here is the CFE price structure, to my understanding -

The electric rates/billing are charged in three tiers.

The first two tiers are subsidized rates well below the true cost of electricity production. The third tier is the actual cost of production to CFE.

The subsidies are quite significant. The subsidy on the first tier exceeds 80%, the second tier is about 70%. The third, unsubsidized, tier is quite expensive compared to most US rates.

If you go into the third tier for twelve consecutive months, you will pay the third tier unsubsidized rate for all electricity used on subsequent bills. This continues until your consumption remains below the third tier level for twelve consecutive months. A good way to avoid this vicious cycle is to just leave Mexico for a month per year and let your consumption be minimal for one billing cycle per annum.

Rates and tier levels vary across Mexico. It depends on the climate and the local cost of production. Bajs Sur rates are high because most generation is from diesel. Mainland rates may be lower because some areas have significant hydropower generation. La Paz is developing large solar installations so the rates may change in the future if solar turns out to be more economical than diesel.

bkbend - 3-10-2018 at 08:37 AM

Lights, 2 refrigerators, tv, stereo, computer, device chargers, ceiling fans all run for < 100 pesos/month.

Don Jorge - 3-11-2018 at 11:45 AM

Looks like an Infonavit development but either way it is a locals dominant development. Go for it!

Calling that place home you will be living with the locals and will get a taste of life in Baja you would not be exposed to living in a walled, gated expat colony.

You will learn Spanish quicker and and my guess is you will meet some great people in the barrio. Always say yes to the coffee invitation from your neighbors. You will learn more about your neighbors and their families at the afternoon coffee tables than you could ever learn in any book or forum.

Good luck!

msteve1014 - 3-11-2018 at 02:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Jorge  

Looks like an Infonavit development but either way it is a locals dominant development. Go for it!

Calling that place home you will be living with the locals and will get a taste of life in Baja you would not be exposed to living in a walled, gated expat colony.

You will learn Spanish quicker and and my guess is you will meet some great people in the barrio. Always say yes to the coffee invitation from your neighbors. You will learn more about your neighbors and their families at the afternoon coffee tables than you could ever learn in any book or forum.

Good luck!

+1

I love my neighbors. I could not imagine my life here without my new friends.

desertcpl - 3-13-2018 at 12:44 PM

looks inviting, with a little elbow grease it can become a very nice home, nice area, I wish you well.
and yes keep us in the loop

oh forgot,, if you have read O'Gradys blog about moving to Mexico
its no uncommon, that the Kitchen and maybe the bath room
will have the cabinets removed, need to check thst out.
the first place they moved to with out seeing it,, the Kitchen was bare,, you might be renting a shell in the house

[Edited on 3-13-2018 by desertcpl]

Alm - 3-13-2018 at 11:32 PM

Propane in setups like this: 2 options.

1) Permanent horizontal tank. Tanker truck comes to fill it up - not just for you, there are usually other people around needing it too. More upfront costs, can't say about benefits compared to #2:

2) A couple (or 3) upright cilindros, 30 or 45 kg each (don't remember how this translates into gallons). 45 is fatter and heavier, same height as 30. A different truck comes to exchange empty for full ones. You pay upfront deposit for 3 empty tanks, and then pay when refilling. Put some chain and padlock on cilindro, it does have a value.

With #2 having an automatic regulator is a must https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Propane-Double-Stage-Auto-C... You connect 2 tanks, and it will switch from empty tank to full when the time comes. No need to interrupt the dinner.

Electricity rates use sliding scale, read it up on CFE official site or gringo sites. In a nutshell, you could pay few bucks a month if all you have is lights and TV, or several hundred a month is you run AC or indulge yourself in electrical heating. I think they apply higher rate towards the whole year, based on your consumption in previous year.

$300 on top of rent - probably, barely. Mex seniors card also gives discount on those big shiny buses going North (or South).

msteve1014 - 3-14-2018 at 10:01 AM

Quote: Originally posted by desertcpl  

looks inviting, with a little elbow grease it can become a very nice home, nice area, I wish you well.
and yes keep us in the loop

oh forgot,, if you have read O'Gradys blog about moving to Mexico
its no uncommon, that the Kitchen and maybe the bath room
will have the cabinets removed, need to check thst out.
the first place they moved to with out seeing it,, the Kitchen was bare,, you might be renting a shell in the house

One of the first houses we looked at before buying was decorated really nice. My wife said something about how nice the cabinets and blinds looked and they told us "oh no, we need those for the new house". They were also taking the pila, pump, stove and refer. They were sellind a bare shell.

chumlee57 - 3-14-2018 at 05:01 PM

Congrats on the little slice of paradise, you will like San Q, its got a great year round tempreture, if you like it a little on the chilly side. Not too far from the border should you need to scoot back across and some of the best seafood in Baja, not to mention the awesome year round bottom fishing, buenos suerte, stay thirsty my friend

bledito - 3-15-2018 at 11:46 AM

yep it's a cinder block box hot as hell in the summer cold at night in the winter. will probabally need to rewire the place, copper tends to disappear. as well as toilets, sinks, fixtures, well everything. allow for cost to buy fix replace everything, recoat the roof etc.

chuckie - 3-15-2018 at 11:59 AM

NOW! Theres a positive thinker....

willardguy - 3-15-2018 at 12:15 PM

and crackheads next door and those dang bedbugs..:lol:

fishbuck - 3-15-2018 at 12:44 PM

Hi everyone.

Still doing it.
Stuck in Washington for a bit longer.
I would love to be on a Baja beach by May 1.
I hope it rains good until I get there. Then I want to see the green and flower explosion than can occur in the dessert.
Until then, it's a sunny warmish day here so I will go stare at Puget Sound and maybe it's warm enough to work on my tan.
Retirement gets more mellow everyday.
Dreaming of Baja always...

bajabuddha - 3-15-2018 at 01:03 PM

Fishy, if I had a green flower explosion in my dessert.... :o I'd order sumpin' else! :biggrin:

mtgoat666 - 3-15-2018 at 02:44 PM

Hi everyone.

Still doing it.
Stuck in Washington for a bit longer.
I would love to be on a Baja beach by May 1.
I hope it rains good until I get there. Then I want to see the green and flower explosion than can occur in the dessert.
Until then, it's a sunny warmish day here so I will go stare at Puget Sound and maybe it's warm enough to work on my tan.
Retirement gets more mellow everyday.
Dreaming of Baja always...

you seem to be unable to make decisions, so how did you ever decide to be tied down owning a home in san quintin?
you should buy a 5th wheel or Class A RV, and hit the open road, and live wherever your whims take you...
stay mobile and you can chase the sun.

p.s. why leave the NW in May? that's just about the time the weather turns good!

chuckie - 3-16-2018 at 03:41 PM

I don't think he is going anyplace....

Paco Facullo - 3-16-2018 at 03:46 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chuckie  
I don't think he is going anyplace....
Chuckie, I beg to differ, He is most certainly GOING nuts ...

chuckie - 3-17-2018 at 08:21 AM

Well....There IS that...

Alm - 3-17-2018 at 11:38 AM

2 threads initiated by the OP, running at the same time on the same subject.

fishbuck - 3-17-2018 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
2 threads initiated by the OP, running at the same time on the same subject.

Is there a rule I don't know about that says " no postin' more than one time on the same or similar topic"
Cause I don't think there is one.:coolup:

Alm - 3-17-2018 at 01:11 PM

Just a matter of keeping things organized. Usually easier when not duplicated.

You are asking questions, getting answers, then asking something that shows that you didn't see the answer or didn't have a time to think it over.

Sometimes it's better to let things take their natural course. Important questions will arise when you will get around to doing it.

fishbuck - 3-17-2018 at 01:14 PM

Ok. Understood.:)