BajaNomad

Crossing with Mexican motorcycle

briantroy - 3-11-2018 at 02:11 PM

I'm curious if anyone has ever crossed into the USA with a Mexican registered and plated motorcycle. I was planning on buying one of those Hondas the delivery guys ride, using it only in Mexico, and bringing it back in my trailer for storage in SD. Do the border guards ask for registration and such? I've thought of importing it, but it looks pretty confusing and possibly expensive. Thanks for any input.

ehall - 3-11-2018 at 03:44 PM

Never been asked for anything leaving Mexico with the bikes in the back of the truck. But I also never had a Mexican plate on the bike. lol

briantroy - 3-12-2018 at 02:04 PM

Thanks for the response. I will take the plates off and any identification suggesting it is Mexican before crossing. I will either have it on a rack attached to the back of my travel trailer or inside my van. Any other suggetions, comments or general thoughts are welcomed!

Bob and Susan - 3-12-2018 at 02:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by briantroy  
... Any other suggetions, comments or general thoughts are welcomed!

don't do it

just buy a cycle in your state...

you will never be able to "plate it" without "cert of manufacture" and a sales receipt

and if you get caught smuggleing at the usa border...well...good luck with that

briantroy - 3-12-2018 at 04:02 PM

I will not be using the moto in the USA so that is not an issue. They dont sell that model in the USA and it is exactly what I need to zoom around town/trail ride in the desert and the price cant be beat. I just don't have a place to store it in Mex.

[Edited on 3-13-2018 by briantroy]