BajaNomad

Asuncion Surfing July-September

drzura - 3-17-2018 at 04:31 PM

We'll be down at Asuncion for a couple months this summer starting the middle of July. It's been a while since I've down any surfing, but I plan on bringing my surfboard down. Will I need a wetsuit or will the water be warm enough to just trunk it?

Damion

shari - 3-17-2018 at 05:19 PM

depends on how tough you are...most guys trunk it in summer but a light suit might be nice in July as sometimes the ocean temps dont warm up here till August!

woody with a view - 3-17-2018 at 06:02 PM

If you’ve ever surfed Baja you know that you should always bring every wetsuit you own. Better to have and not need a fullsuit......

BooJumMan - 3-17-2018 at 09:34 PM

^^ Woody is spot on. Bring everything you've got. hah

apple - 4-6-2018 at 12:47 PM

I'm also thinking about going in September. How does Asuncion pick up the summer's south swells? I am mostly a longboarder and love a nice point break.

I was thinking about heading to Scorpion Bay, but Asuncion seems like a much faster drive, and less roads to get washed out in a summer rain.

fishbuck - 4-6-2018 at 09:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
depends on how tough you are...most guys trunk it in summer but a light suit might be nice in July as sometimes the ocean temps dont warm up here till August!

August sounds like surf season for me! How is the yellowtaul bite in August?

fishbuck - 4-6-2018 at 09:29 PM

Bring at least 2 wetsuit spring and cold.

Rossman - 4-7-2018 at 02:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Quote: Originally posted by shari  

August sounds like surf season for me! How is the yellowtaul bite in August?

From what I have experienced, August is sort of a transition month. The yellowtail bite won't be like Sept - Dec but there are some around. Very much water temp dependent. Interestingly, I found a pocket of very warm water here late July last year and had a couple good days of tuna and dorado fishing and a couple bite-offs that I think were wahoo. Then I never saw any more exotics until October.

BajaBlanca - 4-7-2018 at 06:28 AM

Last year was a very odd year for fishing. Here in La Bocana, Domingo caught a 40# YT last week! Maybe this year will be better for all us here in Baja Sur?