BajaNomad

New house construction

bajapedro - 3-18-2018 at 07:36 AM

Impressed with Mexican construction of my house in Rancho Percebu.

IMG_2721.jpg - 13kB IMG_2720.jpg - 14kB

bajatrailrider - 3-18-2018 at 07:52 AM

Cant tell by picture but how far down are is foundation looking good

David K - 3-18-2018 at 08:31 AM

Nice view of Shell Island!

Bob and Susan - 3-18-2018 at 09:59 AM

you might want to think about a plastic vapor barrier underneath your footings or the salt in the soil will eat the cement

salt at the beach is bad

but remember... you are only building for your lifetime...it doesn't have to last forever

bajapedro - 3-18-2018 at 11:29 AM

Looks like footing is 18" or so. Using plenty of steel for sure.
Lot looks out of Northern end of Shell Island and can walk to it at low tide. Cistern is going to be under the garage floor.

IMG_2619.jpg - 14kB IMG_2726.jpg - 18kB

IMG_2658.jpg - 17kB

Bob and Susan - 3-18-2018 at 12:22 PM

cistern under the garage is a HUGE mistake...

what if you need to service it...
imagine all the bugs and mice in that tank

chumlee57 - 3-18-2018 at 02:37 PM

cistern for water storage? or is that the septic holding tank?

bajapedro - 3-18-2018 at 02:58 PM

Water storage. 2500 gal. Septic is on far end of lot.

dtbushpilot - 3-18-2018 at 03:20 PM

If your intent in posting here was to find out everything you're doing wrong and listen to endless arguments about the right way to do everything in Baja you've come to the right place. If you just wanted to share your excitement and have your internet buddies give you a computer high five you are in the wrong place.

If you are using a reputable builder and are happy with his work go with his recommendations. As for a cistern under the garage floor I have one. I had them tile the inside of it with ceramic tile for ease of cleaning but after 6 years it hasn't needed cleaning....and there aren't any bugs or mice in it. It has a lid on it, I guess my builder is a forward thinking kind of guy.

Good luck with your build!

[Edited on 3-18-2018 by dtbushpilot]

bajapedro - 3-18-2018 at 03:32 PM

Dtbushpilot, I see your point. I can give a rusty nail about high fives or opinions. My intent was more curiosity in regard to other people’s home construction techniques and methods.

dtbushpilot - 3-18-2018 at 04:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajapedro  
Dtbushpilot, I see your point. I can give a rusty nail about high fives or opinions. My intent was more curiosity in regard to other people’s home construction techniques and methods.

Ok, good to know Pedro. I wasn't sure, the way the post started I thought you might just be sharing your excitement and enthusiasm for your new project. I'm sure you will get plenty of helpful suggestions, good luck with your build.

bajatrailrider - 3-18-2018 at 04:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
cistern under the garage is a HUGE mistake...

what if you need to service it...
imagine all the bugs and mice in that tank

Nothing wrong with cistern under garage floor mine is 20 years old it is sealed with only vent tube outside from intake tube. No bugs mice it can be pumped out as it has trap door. 20 years now not needing pump out must have been done right.:)

Bob and Susan - 3-18-2018 at 05:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
...No bugs mice it can be pumped out as it has trap door. 20 years now not needing pump out must have been done right.:)

have you ever emptied the tank?
cleaned it?
no ants?
no scorpians?
no crickets?
spiders?

take my word...if you use that water it is dirty

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2018 at 05:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
...No bugs mice it can be pumped out as it has trap door. 20 years now not needing pump out must have been done right.:)

have you ever emptied the tank?
cleaned it?
no ants?
no scorpians?
no crickets?
spiders?

take my word...if you use that water it is dirty

yuck!
do you have a filter in your motel?

pacificobob - 3-18-2018 at 05:42 PM

we have 170k liters(yup 170,000) in buried underground tanks. we use it every day with great success.

bledito - 3-18-2018 at 05:54 PM

mine is under the floor as well no problem

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2018 at 05:57 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
we have 170k liters(yup 170,000) in buried underground tanks. we use it every day with great success.

wow!

is this for a house or a business?

cant imagine a house needs that amount of storage, unless you are a doomsday prepper :lol:

Bob and Susan - 3-18-2018 at 06:21 PM

we use plastic tanks and clorine

these guys should test their water

pacificobob - 3-18-2018 at 06:48 PM

Quote: Originally posted by mtgoat666  
Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  

wow!

is this for a house or a business?

cant imagine a house needs that amount of storage, unless you are a doomsday prepper :lol:

4 acres of fruit and palms

Bob and Susan - 3-19-2018 at 06:32 AM

I have electric sprinklers for my trees and plants...

2 to 3 minutes for each valve
I ONLY water the plants...little waste

I use 250 gallons a day on plants by doing that

you'll need a tanker of water once a week

tecatero - 3-19-2018 at 07:25 AM

I have an underground cistern, 2500 gallons and its the best ever. I have three filters and UV light inline and the water is great. Biggest advantage I ve notice is during summer, when its 100 degrees the water stays cool same tempos winter so if you are using a on demand water heater the water temp imperfect not scalding

fishbuck - 3-19-2018 at 01:31 PM

Thank you for posting this.
I have water supplied at my lot.
But it comes from a big rusting tank on a hill. Underground PVC supplies it to each lot.
We pay a flat fee and it's filled regularly.
I have never looked inside the tank but a neighbor has and said it was gross in there. He had his own tank put in but I'm not sure how.
A lot of houses in the older part have water towers. Most are made of native volcanic rock and look very cool.
We are not permitted to build the little water tower in the "new" neighborhood per the CC&Rs.
So I've been thinking tank in garage thing
The hot tip is to get your water from a well as high up in the hills as you can.
That is the sweetest and cleanest water.
Use the rusty tank water for irrigation etc. Use the sweet water in the casita.

Paco Facullo - 3-19-2018 at 02:55 PM

Fishbuck,
Unless you own the property the best thing to do is install water filter systems only....
One for whole house and another for drinking. ( unless you want to use bottled water )

Benefits are they cost effective and you are able to remove and take the system with you when you leave.

I've been a plumbing contractor for 38 years ....

[Edited on 3-19-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Bob and Susan - 3-19-2018 at 03:07 PM

whatever you do DONT put a water tank UNDER your garage

and water does NOT cool off when its in a tank in the ground in baja when its 90f at night during july aug sept

and unless you chlorinate water you get mold and animals in it
DONT drink it

fishbuck - 3-19-2018 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Fishbuck,
Unless you own the property the best thing to do is install water filter systems.
One for whole house and another for drinking. ( unless you want to use bottled water )

Benefits are cost effective and you are able to remove and take the system with you when you leave.

I've been a plumbing contractor for 38 years ....

Good point. I do remember that the homes I have visited there use purified bottled water from town for drinking and cooking.
The water issue is that the wells are getting brackish. The closer to the ocean the more sea water incursion to the aquifer. From mega agricultural pumping over many years.
So the hill tank water might be ok if I can filter it well enough.
The salty water eats the plumbing slowly but surely.
But I haven't tasted or tested the hill tank water yet. It might be delicious.
Water in town at the hotels tastes salty. The later in summer the saltier. It won't make suds when trying to bath with it. I imagine it has a skin drying out effect. I can feel it a little after a shower there.
Jardine's has a super elaborate filtration system the removes everything.
And they have every plant that can grow in Baja I think.
I wish I was there now.