BajaNomad

Documents paperwork needed for 7 day trip?

caj13 - 3-18-2018 at 08:59 AM

first time driving into Baja norte, have always flown in before.
So i will be crossing at Tijuana, on saturday afternoon, will be driving to Mikes sky Ranch, gonzaga bay and La bocana. Will return to USA the following friday, probably through Mexicali.

so I believe I need:
drivers licence
Car registration
Car title? and if title required, can it be a copy?
Mexican Insurance for the car
Passport
Fishing Licence

so i need an FMM - correct? and since I will be in mexico 7 days it is free correct? I see where i can apply on line, but that looks like they charge an on line fee of 25 bucks or so?
so how is the best way to deal with that?

[Edited on 3-18-2018 by caj13]

[Edited on 3-18-2018 by caj13]

BajaMama - 3-18-2018 at 09:12 AM

When you get to the San Ysidro border, before you cross, stay right and park in declarations covered parking area. Enter building left side. At the end of the hall around the left corner is the Immigration office to get your FMM. If you have to pay for the FMM there should be a bank within walking distance. After you pay return to immigration with proof of payment and they will validate it for you.

My travel club charges a $7 fee to get the FMM for me, price for FMM is 533 pesos. I just go to immigration office to show proof of payment and get it stamped. I keep a copy of my registration and my USA insurance with the Mex policy. I don't know if you need a copy of your title (I never do), I would not bring the actual title.
Have fun!

[Edited on 3-18-2018 by BajaMama]

David K - 3-18-2018 at 10:07 AM

BajaMama has it down.
There is a covered parking area in front of the building where INM (where you get your FMM) is located BEFORE you cross through the gate. It is over by the giant flagpole to your right.

7 days/6 nights is FREE. However, listen if they want you to return it, because getting back to that office before you return to the U.S. is NOT easy. If you are going back south again within 6 months or just to save the hassle, pay for a 180 day FMM (about $25), put Los Cabos as a final destination so you are covered anywhere in Baja and it does NOT need to be returned to INM.

INM only needs your passport. The insurance company is who needs info off your registration. No pink slip or copy needed.

A pre-paid FMM still needs to get stamped at the border so there is little savings of time to get one in advance. Maybe only if the cashier is busy at the bank desk?

John Harper - 3-18-2018 at 01:07 PM

Yes, it took only a few minutes when I got one last year. But, I crossed at 6AM. This year, I'm not going to be there until 10AM on a Saturday, could be a big difference. I only went for five days, so the FMM was free.

Also, it seems possible the US will have their pre-Mexico checkpoint set up. I assume that will make crossing quite a bit longer than ever. I'm not sure how often they do it, but a permanent pre-Mex checkpoint is near.:no::no::no:

John

[Edited on 3-18-2018 by John Harper]

mtgoat666 - 3-18-2018 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Yes, it took only a few minutes when I got one last year. But, I crossed at 6AM. This year, I'm not going to be there until 10AM on a Saturday, could be a big difference. I only went for five days, so the FMM was free.

Also, it seems possible the US will have their pre-Mexico checkpoint set up. I assume that will make crossing quite a bit longer than ever. I'm not sure how often they do it, but a permanent pre-Mex checkpoint is near.:no::no::no:

John

[Edited on 3-18-2018 by John Harper]

i am hoping the exit inspection that comrade trumputin is building ("big, beautfiful inspection point") will have a sentri lane.

До свидания!

P.s. I hear that DHS / CBP is hiring Russian-speaking agents to man the border, getting ready for trumputin’s capitulation to Vladimir

[Edited on 3-18-2018 by mtgoat666]

BAJA.DESERT.RAT - 3-19-2018 at 12:45 AM

PRE-MEXICO CHECKPOINT ?

are they planning to put one at each crossing point ?

what a bunch of crap !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

BajaMama - 3-19-2018 at 07:27 AM

Oh, forgot fishing license. I get mine through my travel club (Vagabondos del Mar). Anyone know where to get one?

caj13 - 3-19-2018 at 07:32 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaMama  
Oh, forgot fishing license. I get mine through my travel club (Vagabondos del Mar). Anyone know where to get one?

I've bought mine on line, and just printed it out. not sure of the link right now, I'll see if I can track it down.

John Harper - 3-19-2018 at 07:46 AM

I just used this form and mailed it in. Took about 3 weeks, however. I got a 7 day license starting 4/8/18.

http://www.sportfishinginmexico.com/application/

John

Pacifico - 3-19-2018 at 07:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  

I've bought mine on line, and just printed it out. not sure of the link right now, I'll see if I can track it down.

This is where I get mine online and you can print as many copies as you like...

https://www.bajasursportfishing.com/pesca/index.php?idiomas=...

John Harper - 3-19-2018 at 07:50 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
PRE-MEXICO CHECKPOINT ?

what a bunch of crap !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

They are planning one at San Ysidro as far as I know. Supposedly they are already setting up temporary checkpoints . I have no idea what days or hours they may be doing this. I know my luck is that it will be operating the day I plan to cross.

Maybe someone else knows more about their schedule and plans. Mueller?

John

[Edited on 3-19-2018 by John Harper]

David K - 3-19-2018 at 07:51 AM

A reminder, the fishing license is not needed for fishing from shore, only from a boat.

Bajazly - 3-19-2018 at 08:27 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by BAJA.DESERT.RAT  
PRE-MEXICO CHECKPOINT ?

what a bunch of crap !

BIEN SALUD, DA RAT

They are planning one at San Ysidro as far as I know. Supposedly they are already setting up temporary checkpoints . I have no idea what days or hours they may be doing this. I know my luck is that it will be operating the day I plan to cross.

Maybe someone else knows more about their schedule and plans. Mueller?

John

[Edited on 3-19-2018 by John Harper]

They really really just don't like us going there do they? I get that feeling every single time I come back across.

PaulW - 3-19-2018 at 08:51 AM

Southbound - Mexicali East CBP has a check point setup and I have been stopped twice in the last few years. No significant delay because at the crossing we still found a short line.
The dogs did the sniff test and they asked if I had more than $10000 USD. Multiple cameras are in constant use at that place.

David K - 3-19-2018 at 09:26 AM

Years ago, San Diego area border had officers checking you southbound. The goal then was to reduce the stolen vehicles from entering Mexico as well as prevent children from being kidnapped into Mexico.

sancho - 3-21-2018 at 11:52 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

The dogs did the sniff test and they asked if I had more than $10000 USD

Wonder how that would work re: weed now legal, to whatever
degree in Ca.? I believe all guns in the hands of Mex criminals
come from NOB

David K - 3-21-2018 at 12:00 PM

Weed is not legal to Federal laws and the border with Mexico is federal, not part of the Soviet Socialst Republic of California!

Paco Facullo - 3-21-2018 at 12:07 PM

Speaking about weed in Baja, does anybody have any information about anyone that has been caught with weed at one of the military checkpoints ?
It almost happened to me recently so I'm kinda curious ?

sancho - 3-21-2018 at 02:03 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
the border with Mexico is federal, not part of the Soviet Socialst Republic of California!

How far no. from the border into the US does the US Federal
controlled territory extend? 100', 1/2 mi.? No idea, I didn't think so

David K - 3-21-2018 at 02:11 PM

Where ever a federal agent is working, he is enforcing federal laws. However, they do help California by enforcing the California resident booze/beer limit of 32 oz per person! Seems wrong, doesn't it?

Alm - 3-21-2018 at 02:36 PM

Buy FMM online and save yourself a hassle. David could be right about return of "free" FMM. Buy on INM official website, they charge same price at at the border. Travel clubs charge extra. Print out both FMM and Banjercito receipt - you will need both.

Approaching the gates, keep to the right, follow the signs "Para Declarar". DON'T turn left to the gates like everybody else. Instead, go straight into a fenced parking area with signs "Declarar" and RV icons.
Park, go inside.

At the very end of the building you will see INM officers sitting in the booths with their back to you (yes). They are stamping walk-in people from pedestrian bridge.
Go to any one of them, show FMM and Banjercito and tell that you've already paid online and just need the "sello" - stamp. Takes only a minute.

[Edited on 3-21-2018 by Alm]

caj13 - 3-22-2018 at 06:19 AM

This is where I get mine online and you can print as many copies as you like...

https://www.bajasursportfishing.com/pesca/index.php?idiomas=en[/rquote]

I tried this link, got a security warning, something about someone may be trying to steal your cc# or data, so i went to

https://www.sportfishingbcs.gob.mx/

give you a bit of heartburn because the price shows in pesos, and you have to make sure you disable the popup blocker, and might have to confirm to your CC company you want the purchase to go through, but just work your way through it

easy peasy! printed out and another task crossed off the list

[Edited on 3-22-2018 by caj13]