BajaNomad

Retiring in Baja

drzura - 3-25-2018 at 04:56 PM

Good day. I would like to get some perspective from persons who have retired or stay long term in Baja. What have you done right and/or what might have you done differently? The wife and I are coming to a cross roads and have the opportunity to stay in Baja full-time and would just like to get some insight from some fellow Nomads. We can move to Baja this summer, I am 42, or I can work for a couple more years then come down. We currently have a lot with a travel trailer and garage in BCS. Thanks...

woody with a view - 3-25-2018 at 05:00 PM

Take the money and run!

drzura - 3-25-2018 at 05:21 PM

I'll have a small military pension, which should cover monthly living expenses and have some left pesos left over. I can start working as a contractor for a couple years and make some pretty decent money. We don't have a house in the states..... so no need to worry about any mortgages and anything really tying us down. The wife and I are just trying to figure things out. The idea of moving to Baja at the age of 42 sounds pretty appealing.... enjoy it while younger. Just not sure if we'll get bored etc., will need to keep busy.. maybe start paining the Baja landscape, astronomy, surfing and the like.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Take the money and run!

8knots - 3-25-2018 at 05:23 PM

If you decide to retire in Baja, as anywhere, have a hobby or a cause or a passion to spend time on. Ya need something to look forward to every day and to keep you on your toes learning or progressing in some manner.

Also, how tolerant are you of summer time heat and humidity....might need a short term escape plan.

drzura - 3-25-2018 at 05:36 PM

Our place is over on the Sea of Cortez.... definitely hot and humid during the summer. We'll probably rent a small house on the Pacific every year from July-October to escape the weather; that's what we are doing this summer. I will definitely need to find a good hobby if we move there full time. I think painting would be pretty fun.

Quote: Originally posted by 8knots  
If you decide to retire in Baja, as anywhere, have a hobby or a cause or a passion to spend time on. Ya need something to look forward to every day and to keep you on your toes learning or progressing in some manner.

Also, how tolerant are you of summer time heat and humidity....might need a short term escape plan.

willardguy - 3-25-2018 at 06:41 PM

everyone's different and you'll get a load of opinions.....if I were in my 40's and had substantial dough, I'd park myself in los cabos!:yes:

drzura - 3-25-2018 at 06:58 PM

No substantial dough here... just enough to live in Baja in our travel trailer with a little left over. Definitely not enough to live in California without working. I wish I could just win the lottery....

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  
everyone's different and you'll get a load of opinions.....if I were in my 40's and had substantial dough, I'd park myself in los cabos!:yes:

Paco Facullo - 3-25-2018 at 08:30 PM

You should talk to fishbuck.....

mtgoat666 - 3-25-2018 at 09:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by drzura  
I'll have a small military pension, which should cover monthly living expenses and have some left pesos left over. I can start working as a contractor for a couple years and make some pretty decent money. We don't have a house in the states..... so no need to worry about any mortgages and anything really tying us down. The wife and I are just trying to figure things out. The idea of moving to Baja at the age of 42 sounds pretty appealing.... enjoy it while younger. Just not sure if we'll get bored etc., will need to keep busy.. maybe start paining the Baja landscape, astronomy, surfing and the like.

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
Take the money and run!

Baja is where old people go to retire. Portland or Bend are where young people go to retire.

fishbuck - 3-25-2018 at 09:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
You should talk to fishbuck.....

I'm speechless that he gets to retire at 42!
I need to ask him for advice.:light:

[Edited on 3-26-2018 by fishbuck]

4x4abc - 3-26-2018 at 12:18 AM

The only regret I have about moving to Baja full time - I should have done it a lot earlier. Life has never been better. Live on less than $1,500 a month. Most of it for food. It's been more than 10 years now. A well built house (though inexpensive) will take care of the winter cold (heated floors) and the summer heat (double thick walls and AC). Solar heat and power help even more. Best addition was a pool.

mtgoat666 - 3-26-2018 at 06:29 AM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
The only regret I have about moving to Baja full time - I should have done it a lot earlier. Life has never been better. Live on less than $1,500 a month. Most of it for food. It's been more than 10 years now. A well built house (though inexpensive) will take care of the winter cold (heated floors) and the summer heat (double thick walls and AC). Solar heat and power help even more. Best addition was a pool.

The cigar is a necessary mosquito-repelant for people that stay in baja sur over the summer, an important aid to avoiding dengue fever and Zika virus. Is also a good emetic if you feel it necessary to vomit after ingesting poison, bad food, etc.

BajaBlanca - 3-26-2018 at 07:30 AM

Give it a whirl and remember, there are so many options if you are not happy with the first choice.

With Kindle, books are not an issue any more - this is one of the most wonderful inventions on the planet!

For painting, bear in mind that you have to have a system in place so that you can get your materials down to Baja.

Hopefully wherever you chose has lots of people because you will find that socializing can be really fun when you are retired!

bajagrouper - 3-26-2018 at 08:05 AM

I was under the impression someone wanting to legally retire to Mexico must meet certain requirements like starting the process at the Mexican Counsel near your home in the USA, proof of income like a pension...If living on an FMM (180 day tourist permit ) working is not permitted and if turned in could lead to deportation and a 10 year ban on visiting Mexico...The OP should check with the Counsel in Virginia ...............

https://www.mexperience.com/financial-criteria-for-residency...

[Edited on 3-26-2018 by bajagrouper]

rts551 - 3-26-2018 at 08:09 AM

There are so many people living illegally in Mexico they can not track them. Very few get deported.

Paco Facullo - 3-26-2018 at 08:33 AM

Harold,

That truly is a GREAT retirement photo ! Say's it all....

DRZURA

bajaguy - 3-26-2018 at 09:28 AM

Check your u2u

tbnoble - 3-26-2018 at 09:45 AM

Gosh I wish I had done it at 42. My wife retired and I semi-retired (teach online college) and we moved down here (in El Socorrito south of Los Pinos) a year ago. We learned a lot, not everything that seems simple or easy is in fact that way. We are grateful we did the move. We all have different expectations and things we feel are priorities. Each day is something new it seems, I guess be flexible would be my advice.

bajagrouper - 3-26-2018 at 11:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
There are so many people living illegally in Mexico they can not track them. Very few get deported.

Yes I know, that is why in my first line I wrote:""It is my understanding someone wanting to legally retire to Mexico""

I realize there are people who b-tch about illegal aliens in the USA but turn around and become illegal aliens in Mexico...

I love the lyrics of Banana Republics by Jimmy Buffet:

Down to the Banana Republics
Down to the tropical sun
Go the expatriated American
Hopin' to find some fun
Some of them go for the sailing
Brought by the lure of the sea
Tryin' to find what is ailing
Living in the land of the free
Some of them are running to lovers
Leaving no forward address
Some of them are running tons of ganja
Some are running from the IRS

willardguy - 3-26-2018 at 11:36 AM

JMO now.....say goodbye to san lucas cove and plop yourself down on the left side where the weathers good year round, close to a big city where theres people,shopping,bars and restaurants, night life and a short hop the border if need be. its workin great for me:coolup:

TMW - 3-26-2018 at 12:06 PM

Remember the one thing that can affect a joyous retirement more than almost anything is you and your wife's health. Things can change fast in a short period of time. That said, I wish you the best of health and a very happy retirement. As they say, with retirement everyday is like Saturday.

pauldavidmena - 3-26-2018 at 12:56 PM

Retiring while you're still young minimizes (but by no means eliminates) the need to be close to the border for health emergencies. My wife and I are in reasonably good health in our late 50s, but as we get older we do worry about things like proximity to a hospital.

fishbuck - 3-26-2018 at 01:16 PM

The health issue.
Please don't retire to baja because it's a cheap place to smoke and drink yourself into a slow pitiful death.
I always see at least one of these people on every trip.
It disgusts me.
Live the cleanest heathiest life you can find there.
If life has been tough on you try and use Baja as a way to heal and recover.
Think holistic. Think spiritual.
There are a few places on this planet that can do this for you.
Baja is one of them... if you do it right.

fishbuck - 3-26-2018 at 01:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Remember the one thing that can affect a joyous retirement more than almost anything is you and your wife's health. Things can change fast in a short period of time. That said, I wish you the best of health and a very happy retirement. As they say, with retirement everyday is like Saturday.

What's a Saturday?
And I've only be retired for 2 months.

pauldavidmena - 3-26-2018 at 04:29 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
The health issue.
Please don't retire to baja because it's a cheap place to smoke and drink yourself into a slow pitiful death.
I always see at least one of these people on every trip.
It disgusts me.
Live the cleanest heathiest life you can find there.
If life has been tough on you try and use Baja as a way to heal and recover.
Think holistic. Think spiritual.
There are a few places on this planet that can do this for you.
Baja is one of them... if you do it right.

I can't agree with this more. The sound of the ocean alone can lower my blood pressure significantly. Eating fresh produce and fish and listening to one's body when it comes to sleep and waking up are the recipe for a fulfilled life.

Alm - 3-26-2018 at 05:06 PM

What have you done right and/or what might have you done differently?

You have already done it right, retiring at 42. Can't beat that.

The rest depends largely on your personal preferences. You'll figure out as you go. There are people trying to figure everything out before they go, panicking and asking hundreds questions, - and in the end the reality will be different anyway. Your interests now are not what they will be in 20 years.

Cabo has nearly optimal weather all year round, if you can afford, and if you like CSL and/or your particular location there.
Pacific side farther North is cooler - in winter it gets way too cold for some.
Cortez side can get too hot and humid in summer.

There are more choices if you don't need to be on the coast, or don't care about having other gringos around, or don't care about the weather.

If you buy something, you'll have things to do - sometimes more than you'd like to. If you rent, there will still be chores.
Painting is nice, should give you something to fill the time when the weather screws up.

I would not work hard another 2 years if I had enough pension and/or money at 42 for the lifestyle I'm planning, but again this is up to you. Aging process accelerates from 40s and up. It's not just downhill, it's getting faster, more changes every year.

[Edited on 3-27-2018 by Alm]

sancho - 3-26-2018 at 05:20 PM

Was a guy who wrote a book after a solo kayak paddle top of the
Cortez to East Cape, 'Wind, Sun, Water', yes, Baja does seem to bring out the alcoholic in some. He called them 'alcoholic desert trash',
harsh, not the words I would use. Don't think there are many
here that fit that, but I certainly would not judge, plenty of that in the US, for me, seeing
a sunrise over the Cortez is reason enough not to imbibe
excessively

woody with a view - 3-26-2018 at 05:40 PM

Smoking is gross! Just saying....

willardguy - 3-26-2018 at 05:40 PM

im an "excessive imbiber" always have been and don't care what some kayaker calls me.....its happy hour, I gotta go:coolup:

4x4abc - 3-26-2018 at 07:03 PM

"Make sure you do it right!" is coming from all different directions

what is "right"?

this is almost as bad as the guys with the "right" religion knocking on my door.
If I need directions - I'll ask.

Drink guys! Dance! Do silly things. Eat whatever makes you happy. Smoke if you need to. It is your life! Most of us don't have that many years left anyway. Celebrate them any which way you like.

fishbuck - 3-26-2018 at 07:25 PM

If you think the "right" way is to be a "chronic messy drunk chain smoker living in a squalid trailer and die a miserable ugly death leaving a disgusting mess for the Mexicans to clean up at their expense..."
Go for it...

willardguy - 3-26-2018 at 07:28 PM

If you think the "right" way is to be a "chronic messy drunk chain smoker living in a squalid trailer and die a miserable ugly death leaving a disgusting mess for the Mexicans to clean up at their expense..."
Go for it...

its called CHOICE

fishbuck - 3-26-2018 at 07:32 PM

Of course it is.
As in "correct" choice and "incorrect" choice.
Pick ur poison...

msteve1014 - 3-28-2018 at 04:48 PM

Go for it...

When you stop asking stupid questions over and over again, and start answering some for other people, we will know you finally moved to Mexico. You stopped drinking, great, and now you are going to live in a squalid $100 house and spend your cash at the hoarhouse, classy, very classy.

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 07:02 PM

I'm sure it's still better than your life dumbflock.
Let's meet and you can tell me the right way to live.;)

[Edited on 3-29-2018 by fishbuck]

John Harper - 3-28-2018 at 07:34 PM

Quote: Originally posted by 4x4abc  
"Make sure you do it right!" is coming from all different directions

what is "right"?

this is almost as bad as the guys with the "right" religion knocking on my door.
If I need directions - I'll ask

Drink guys! Dance! Do silly things. Eat whatever makes you happy. Smoke if you need to. It is your life! Most of us don't have that many years left anyway. Celebrate them any which way you like.

My sentiments exactly!!!!! That simple phrase sums it all up.

John

[Edited on 3-29-2018 by John Harper]

Paco Facullo - 3-28-2018 at 07:50 PM

Yep,
What's "right" for you is not necessarily "right" for others.

That guy you see drinking and smokin his ass off might just be having the time of his life.

No more work, wife, raising children , taxes and life responsibilities that he had to deal with for most of his existence. And NOW he is able to say F-it all and do whatever and whenever the flock he wants.

Who are we to judge what's right and wrong ?????

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 08:02 PM

I was just passing along what I have seen. You know who I am talking about.
It's a cautionary tail not an instruction, direction or otherwise.
I like to eat health food, exercise like a fanatic, stick my ding-aling into easy but beautiful women... and it ain't bad... kinda fun.
But maybe your way IS better...

A b-day card joke I got from my dad. Many moons ago when I was a young buck.

Son,

I see that you over-indulge in wine, women, and song.
You'll never last that way my boy!
My advice to you is to consentrate your efforts soley on women!

You can always sing and drink when you get old!!!

drzura - 3-28-2018 at 08:10 PM

Thanks for all the info and perspective everyone. Gave me and the wife to chew on for a bit; lots to consider.

msteve1014 - 3-28-2018 at 08:13 PM

Call me as *sshole if you want. You may be right, but you are the dumbflock here.You kicked one of your bad habits and now think you are better than others. Prove us wrong. Build the big house, buy a plane, and a boat, post fotos.

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 08:26 PM

Thanks for all the info and perspective everyone. Gave me and the wife to chew on for a bit; lots to consider.

Yeah, it's a very colotful place...

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 08:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by msteve1014  
Call me as *sshole if you want. You may be right, but you are the dumbflock here.You kicked one of your bad habits and now think you are better than others. Prove us wrong. Build the big house, buy a plane, and a boat, post fotos.

Ok:D

Lee - 3-28-2018 at 08:36 PM

From Baja Western Onion:

'Living Or Retiring In Mexico, Now At Local Bookstore - A collection of stories and practical information for anyone that wants to spend more time in Mexico, or would consider staying permanently. Written by local author, covering Mexican culture and history, what to expect and 'living the life' in Mexico, while seeing your budget gain substantial spending power. ☞ Marianne Buijs, https://booklaunch.io/leobuijs/a-taste-of-living-in-mexico, Todos Santos''

fishbuck - 3-28-2018 at 08:36 PM

And for the recond...

The reason I have decided to try and assimilate myself into the cute little mexican house is primarily monitary... true.
But the money that I save is for my casita, my 1st little structure, my fishshack.

bajatrailrider - 3-29-2018 at 09:39 AM

And for the recond...

The reason I have decided to try and assimilate myself into the cute little mexican house is primarily monitary... true.
But the money that I save is for my casita, my 1st little structure, my fishshack.

You will be happy retired in Baja cost of living little money. We have Fixed water bill 120 pesos a month, Property tax under 20.00 Dollars a year. Also no building permits needed on homes built.

norte - 3-29-2018 at 10:55 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
And for the recond...

You will be happy retired in Baja cost of living little money. We have Fixed water bill 120 pesos a month, Property tax under 20.00 Dollars a year. Also no building permits needed on homes built.

Many areas do require building permits or used to. Fines are hefty for not getting one and you have no basis for capital gains tax (bottom line deduction) when you sell. Of course there always are those that don't follow the law regardless of what they are.

fishbuck - 3-29-2018 at 11:24 AM

This is funny.
I actually went to the Delgado I think and asked the man there about it.
He seemed amused that anyone would ask.
When I mentioned it to neighbor he got angry at me and said I would pee everyone off if I got a permit.
None of them has a permit and they don't want the attention.

ehall - 3-29-2018 at 11:31 AM

This is funny.
I actually went to the Delgado I think and asked the man there about it.
He seemed amused that anyone would ask.
When I mentioned it to neighbor he got angry at me and said I would pee everyone off if I got a permit.
None of them has a permit and they don't want the attention.

You got to go along to get along.

bajaguy - 3-29-2018 at 12:36 PM

Building permits for the Municipality of Ensenada are issued by Catastro - Urban Development. Before permits are issued, you will need plans certified by an engineer/architect and may need a lot survey, clearance letters from the water department, street department and/or other government/private organizations.

If you are going to do it, do it correctly/legally

[Edited on 3-29-2018 by bajaguy]

bajagrouper - 3-29-2018 at 02:57 PM

I am on the mainland, and I returned to the states this year via Baja ferry. Great trip but I did notice that hotels were about twice as much as mainland hotels and restaurant prices about 3 times more than mainland restaurants...My conclusion is since everything must be either trucked or shipped to this beautiful peninsula it costs more so if you are on a low end budget you can do much better on Mainland than Baja....

bajatrailrider - 3-29-2018 at 07:18 PM

Quote: Originally posted by norte  
Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
And for the recond...

Many areas do require building permits or used to. Fines are hefty for not getting one and you have no basis for capital gains tax (bottom line deduction) when you sell. Of course there always are those that don't follow the law regardless of what they are.
Poor guy writes knows nothing. My Town no building permits not one . Last Mayor here 5 years ago did try to impose fee of $200.00 Dollars . On every home here since none have a permit. He lasted 1 week not: seen again ture story. All homes here sold for cash no one cares about Cap gains.:)