BajaNomad

La Fonda Hotel - how are the rooms?

Jmiel - 3-31-2018 at 07:44 AM

I have always enjoyed the La Fonda restaurant (between TJ and Ensenada) and am curious about the rooms - am planning a visit to the area and may stay at La Fonda. Thanks for any feedback.

Udo - 3-31-2018 at 09:17 AM

Poco Cielo, next door is quieter and has a better restaurant.

hermosok123 - 4-1-2018 at 08:37 AM

Took the wife and daughter there last year for dinner and the food and service was mediocre at best. Cant speak to the rooms, sorry. We wont be back.

DanO - 4-1-2018 at 10:17 AM

The rooms are rustic but I've spent more for less elsewhere. Try to get one of the cabanas instead of the rooms up in the main building, which can be a little loud with the truck traffic.

BajaTed - 4-1-2018 at 11:00 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Udo  
Poco Cielo, next door is quieter and has a better restaurant.

Try their Baja style Oysters Rockefeller

Santiago - 4-1-2018 at 12:59 PM

DanO; was it you that told the story of being in the surf with your biddies when someone's wife took shower with those full size windows to the sea? Classic baja.

DanO - 4-1-2018 at 03:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
DanO; was it you that told the story of being in the surf with your biddies when someone's wife took shower with those full size windows to the sea? Classic baja.

Yes, and that was my wife in the shower. Back then, La Fonda was seriously rustic, right down to the burro in the courtyard. I've had some good times there over the years (at least as far as can remember).

BajaBlanca - 4-1-2018 at 04:06 PM

Way back when we used to go to La Fonda for the most wonderful brunches.

willardguy - 4-1-2018 at 09:02 PM

joe's famous banana daiquiri's....mmmmmmm:P

DanO - 4-1-2018 at 09:43 PM

Yeah, so glad Joe is back. Here's a pic (apologies for the poor quality) of Joe and his lovely wife at the bar in late 2015, after they had taken the place back.

Joe.jpg - 237kB

DanO - 4-1-2018 at 09:51 PM

Also, the food is good. Caveat: I have never eaten at Poco Cielo (known as Colonel Lyon's house back in the day), so I can't compare. But my most recent meal at La Fonda, pictured below, was excellent (local halibut, last December).

but.jpg - 241kB