BajaNomad

Highway 5 Coco's Bypass on Satellite Images March 2018

David K - 3-31-2018 at 08:32 AM

Discovered the new construction all the way to Hwy. 1 is now on some satellite images. Labels and highlight lines added to the older road. The new highway route is close to where I had estimated it before.

thebajarunner - 3-31-2018 at 08:54 AM

Very interesting
One of our favorite camp sites is in that photo,
but we are sworn to secrecy as to its exact location.

Poor Coco.
Some will wander over to see him, but not many

David K - 3-31-2018 at 10:09 AM

One bit of interest, I had believed the Camino Real went south from Las Arrastras and into the valley south of Coco's before crossing through the mountains using a canyon, to Calamajué. Howard Gulick placed it that way in 1954 based on what prospectors or ranchers told him and I could see a trail in this stretch on satellite images. It may have been a parallel trail... the Camino Real is not always just one route between points.

However, Harry Crosby mapped it going north from Calamajué and basically paralleling the dirt road to Las Arrastras.

Well, the GPS Google Earth map from Kevin (after many searches north from Calamajué) found the old trail and he places it about where Harry had. The 'good news' is that Highway 5 south from Las Arrastras is not obliterating El Camino Real, after all.

chippy - 3-31-2018 at 11:43 AM

Quote: Originally posted by thebajarunner  
Very interesting
One of our favorite camp sites is in that photo,
but we are sworn to secrecy as to its exact location.

Poor Coco.
Some will wander over to see him, but not many

Coco should just take his disgusting collection of panties and toilets either 3.8 miles northwest or 4.6 miles southwest and set up shop:light: His shack could be rebuilt in day or two:light:.

TMW - 3-31-2018 at 11:54 AM

Coco will be OK. Those that want to drop by his place will and those that don't won't. He has many friends especially in the off road community that enjoy visiting him and will continue to do so.

David K - 3-31-2018 at 12:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Coco will be OK. Those that want to drop by his place will and those that don't won't. He has many friends especially in the off road community that enjoy visiting him and will continue to do so.

True, plus he is along the road to California's 17th mission site, located at Calamajué 1766-1767. ;)

StuckSucks - 3-31-2018 at 02:30 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Discovered the new construction all the way to Hwy. 1 is now on some satellite images.

I looked at Google Maps and (reluctantly) Bing, but I'm not seeing the new alignment -- where are you seeing these?

4x4abc - 3-31-2018 at 07:12 PM

how do you get the images?

rts551 - 3-31-2018 at 07:44 PM

looks like maybe Earthstar Geographics (based on the second map) where the Author is SUPPOSED to abide by the licensing agreement. Hopefully no one turns this one in.

The Licensee accepts Earthstar Geographics copyright of the Data and agrees to "place copyright notice "copyright Earthstar Geographics" on the Data when distributed"

http://www.terracolor.net/index.html

mtgoat666 - 3-31-2018 at 07:49 PM

Quote: Originally posted by rts551  
looks like maybe Earthstar Geographics (based on the second map) where the Author is SUPPOSED to abide by the licensing agreement. Hopefully no one turns this one in.

The Licensee accepts Earthstar Geographics copyright of the Data and agrees to "place copyright notice "copyright Earthstar Geographics" on the Data when distributed"

http://www.terracolor.net/index.html

Silly rabbit! Items posted on the internet are free! copyright law does not apply! :lol::lol:

David K - 3-31-2018 at 08:07 PM

Sample images posted for educational purposes only.

pacificobob - 4-1-2018 at 08:07 AM

coco told me a year or two ago that he owned property along the new route. and would be moving his lingerie/ bath fixture display to the new location.

PaulW - 4-1-2018 at 08:12 AM

I am anxiously waiting for your map of these old roads

One bit of interest, I had believed the Camino Real went south from Las Arrastras and into the valley south of Coco's before crossing through the mountains using a canyon, to Calamajué. Howard Gulick placed it that way in 1954 based on what prospectors or ranchers told him and I could see a trail in this stretch on satellite images. It may have been a parallel trail... the Camino Real is not always just one route between points.

However, Harry Crosby mapped it going north from Calamajué and basically paralleling the dirt road to Las Arrastras.

Well, the GPS Google Earth map from Kevin (after many searches north from Calamajué) found the old trail and he places it about where Harry had. The 'good news' is that Highway 5 south from Las Arrastras is not obliterating El Camino Real, after all.

rts551 - 4-1-2018 at 08:13 AM

Quote: Originally posted by pacificobob  
coco told me a year or two ago that he owned property along the new route. and would be moving his lingerie/ bath fixture display to the new location.

Interesting, 5 years ago or so he told me he did not own the property he lived on... (he was a squatter) and therefore could move at anytime (He was having health problems and contemplating moving to Guerrero Negro or back to Ensenada. Alas, he has some large tales to tell...and I am sure there would be a crowd of volunteers to help him move (ownership or not).

PaulW - 4-1-2018 at 08:17 AM

Can the rest of of us get the images or do you have a paid account to get them?
The Earthstar web page was not helpful for me.

David K - 4-1-2018 at 08:20 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  

They are free, on the Internet.
Edit, I sent you a u2u.
arcgis.com/ is the site. Just change the basemap setting.

[Edited on 4-1-2018 by David K]

David K - 4-1-2018 at 08:33 AM

I am anxiously waiting for your map of these old roads

Thanks... that is now my current project. Max Kurillo and I are going to revive and supplement Harry Crosby's book, Gateway to Alta California. In it, Harry and his team have found and mapped the Serra/ Crespi 1769 trail from Mission San Fernando de Velicatá to San Diego. It basically was the continuation of Harry's 'The King's Highway in Baja California' with more detailed maps thanks to GPS. I thought that including the rest of the trail up from Loreto to San Fernando would be a nice addition and Max agreed.

Have you looked at Kevin's Google Earth El Camino Real locator? http://caminorealbaja.com/

mtgoat666 - 4-1-2018 at 09:13 AM

They are free, on the Internet.
Edit, I sent you a u2u.
arcgis.com/ is the site. Just change the basemap setting.

[Edited on 4-1-2018 by David K]

They are only “free” for personal use, and only in accordance with the agreement you entered into with esri.

David K - 4-1-2018 at 09:59 AM

The missions and Baja California are very personal with me... Just like you telling others what they can do or not do is.

Jaybo - 4-24-2018 at 09:30 PM

all I see is the 21 day free trial otherwise it is $9/month billed annually?

David K - 4-25-2018 at 06:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Jaybo  
all I see is the 21 day free trial otherwise it is $9/month billed annually?

Just checked, still working with the maps I made saved.

billklaser - 4-25-2018 at 08:18 AM

David, as a side note: you mention reviving Harry Crosby's book. Harry Crosby was my brother's Advanced Chemisty teacher at La Jolla High School, around 1962. (I wasn't smart enough for the advanced class). He was well liked and highly respected at LJHS. Well known for his love of Baja.

David K - 4-25-2018 at 08:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by billklaser  
David, as a side note: you mention reviving Harry Crosby's book. Harry Crosby was my brother's Advanced Chemisty teacher at La Jolla High School, around 1962. (I wasn't smart enough for the advanced class). He was well liked and highly respected at LJHS. Well known for his love of Baja.

Yes, Harry is a very cool person. He and I have talked on a couple of occaisions. He was most fascinated at seeing photos of my Tacoma at Mission Santa María! He just couldn't imagine the trail he road a mule over would allow any vehicle through! I have most of his books and he has sigened many for me. I think the web host here (BajaNomad/ Doug) had Harry as a teacher, too?

In 1968, Harry Crosby was hired to photograph El Camino Real sites for this book, and was how he was introduced to (or addicted to) Baja:

In 1974, he published his first Baja book:

In 1981:

In 1984:

In 1994:

In 1997:

In 2003:

Harry also wrote a novel (Portrait of Paloma) in 2001 and a did book on the historic photos of 1964 Tijuana, in 2000.

StuckSucks - 5-9-2019 at 01:03 PM

The new highway alignment is showing up on Apple Maps

David K - 5-9-2019 at 02:12 PM

Time Marches on!

Paco Facullo - 5-9-2019 at 02:27 PM

Yes time marches on BUT it's anyone's guess as to when the entire 5 hwy will be completed ????

Any predictions ?

Bajazly - 5-9-2019 at 02:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Yes time marches on BUT it's anyone's guess as to when the entire 5 hwy will be completed ????

Any predictions ?

How bout we go with never, that good with me!

David K - 5-9-2019 at 02:55 PM

I think I predicted it could be as late as 2020 back in 2014, and ***** scoffed and said it would be done in a few months. LOL, we both will be wrong, I think?!

David K - 5-9-2019 at 02:58 PM

You know that way back in 1973, three hundred miles of Highway 1 was graded and paved in one year! San Quintin to San Ignacio.