BajaNomad

Stolen Boat Gonzaga

hermosok123 - 4-1-2018 at 07:12 PM

We were notified that last night, Sat. March 31st, Chuck Fister’s big Parker boat was stolen off of its anchor in the bay at Alfonsinas. I thought I would post here so everyone knows what’s going on, even though some already are aware of the situation.

The boat was taken during the night, his Casa is #23 (just nextdoor to Graff & Lori Moore). The thieves striped down, leaving pants and belt right in front of Fister’s house, and swam out to the boat. The boat is worth a lot of $$$ with the gear. The wind was blowing from the west, so they probably didn’t have to start the engine until they were well off shore.

LancairDriver - 4-1-2018 at 08:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hermosok123  
We were notified that last night, Sat. March 31st, Chuck Fister’s big Parker boat was stolen off of its anchor in the bay at Alfonsinas. I thought I would post here so everyone knows what’s going on, even though some already are aware of the situation.

The boat was taken during the night, his Casa is #23 (just nextdoor to Graff & Lori Moore). The thieves striped down, leaving pants and belt right in front of Fister’s house, and swam out to the boat. The boat is worth a lot of $$$ with the gear. The wind was blowing from the west, so they probably didn’t have to start the engine until they were well off shore.

Aircraft thefts were getting out of hand in Baja and all of Mexico a few years back. Pilots were having to get creative with undisclosed methods of preventing starting the aircraft. That seemed to make a big difference as thefts have dropped to almost non existent. Sounds like it’s time for boaters to do the same. Getting ripped off sucks.

mtgoat666 - 4-1-2018 at 08:07 PM

did the boat have a satelite-gps-theft-tracking device?
sometimes helps to disable a boat on anchor by taking an engine part...
but maybe the perps came by sea, and had a tow boat to tow the loot, eh? perhaps the pants left on beach were a misdirection to throw off the chase

[Edited on 4-2-2018 by mtgoat666]

hermosok123 - 4-1-2018 at 08:21 PM

Last month one of the homes at Alphonsinas was burglarized. Doubtful if they drove out through the gate as they had a pretty good load. Sign of the times. Doesn't justify the deed but take away a mans way to make a living and they still will find a way to live. The cost of saving the Vaquita.

blackwolfmt - 4-1-2018 at 08:31 PM

Sounds like an episode of airplane Boat REPO

norte - 4-1-2018 at 08:40 PM

Last month one of the homes at Alphonsinas was burglarized. Doubtful if they drove out through the gate as they had a pretty good load. Sign of the times. Doesn't justify the deed but take away a mans way to make a living and they still will find a way to live. The cost of saving the Vaquita.

A ban on gill netting Totuaba and trying to save the Vaquita in the upper gulf has created burglars in Gonzaga Bay. Now that is a stretch.

freediverbrian - 4-1-2018 at 08:54 PM

The Vaquita closure is 100 miles north.fishing is legal in Gonzaga. A thief is thief. Not a displaced fisherman

[Edited on 4-2-2018 by freediverbrian]

Parker boat stolen from Alfonsina's mooring

dizzyspots - 4-2-2018 at 08:12 AM

repost fro the Alfonsina's Yahoo group...more info to follow...

from the Alfonsinas yahoo group...We were notified that last night, Sat. March 31st, Chuck Fister’s big Parker boat was stolen off of its anchor in the bay at Alfonsinas. I thought I would post here so everyone knows what’s going on, even though some already are aware of the situation.

bonanza bucko - 4-2-2018 at 09:14 AM

It's a hell of a lot harder to hot wire and airplane than an outboard engine. The problem at Alfonsina's is the new road which makes it a lot easier for the bad guys to get the from the cities to the North and failure of the lease holders....Alfonsina's sons....to keep the guards which we pay for paid up and alert.

Pfish - 4-2-2018 at 06:10 PM

It is not just Gonzaga. I was in LA Bay two summers ago and saw a boat anchored out front. Next morning, gone. They tow it to a quiet spot, take a chain saw to the engine mount and use the engine for running drugs. Mex has to crack down on these A-holes. They could bait these bastards pretty easily.

Paco Facullo - 4-2-2018 at 06:16 PM

Mex has to crack down / Wishful thinking at best.

What are they going to do with the Banditos once caught ? Send them to an already overburdoned jail system ?

Their only stealing from "rich" Gringo's anyway... Just sayin......

You've got to do your own preventative theft safeguards...

Cliffy - 4-3-2018 at 06:28 AM

Actually "hot wiring" a small airplane is real easy. I've repo'd them years ago. Even 40 years ago I didn't leave things out that could be started easily by "normal means". Always had hidden hurdles to overcome. But, if they want it bad enough they will find a way to get it. Learned that when I owned a burglar alarm business way back when.
The more of these- $$$$$$- the more they will try to abscond with it.

Someone needs to design a hidden "anchor alert" system that transmits to a shore alarm (battery powered). Boat moves >100 yds and the alarm wakes the dead. Takes into account anchor swing before alarm.

Paco Facullo - 4-3-2018 at 08:55 AM

Unfortunately locks are to keep honest people honest...

The best you can do is make is as difficult as possible to steal. Easier to go elsewhere.
Like Cliffy said "if they want it bad enough they will find a way to get it"

I think spot tracker is a good way to recoup you boat or vehicle once stolen. Well that and a nice "reward" for the kind Policeman.

Actually Spot tracker will send you a text or email when your car or boat is moved. Satellite , so it works in Baja.

https://www.findmespot.com/en/
Beware though , if you do the yearly renewal, in the fine print you HAVE TO cancel one month BEFORE renewal otherwise they charge for the next year and you won't get a refund.

[Edited on 4-3-2018 by Paco Facullo]

LancairDriver - 4-3-2018 at 10:01 AM

The spot tracker I have requires a somewhat clear view of the sky to operate reliably. This of course makes it very visible to the thieves. Maybe Spot has new miniaturized technology now as mine is several years old? I have seen very small easily concealed trackers advertised recently but no idea how well they work. Maybe someone will check in with some first hand information.

Bob and Susan - 4-3-2018 at 11:13 AM

the batteries in my spot last about 20 hours...then they need changing
I guess if you brought a bunch of AAA batteries...that would work

the thing works great

the smaller cheaper trackers are usually cell activated...you need cell service

spotty cell coverage in baja ...so the cheap trackers are really not usable

I wrap my spot in a black cover to hide the blinking lights
at night it confuses other drivers
I put it in a side window

when my boat is "out" I know exactly where it is using the SPOT

willardguy - 4-3-2018 at 11:19 AM

so at 2am one of these gizmo's alerts you that your boat is headed east....now what do you do?

motoged - 4-3-2018 at 11:34 AM

Tracking unit in this situation may not set off alarm....rather, as said, one needs to connect via cell or satellite to search for moving/stolen transmitter....

But if you had an alarm unit (motion detector type) and it indicated something moved your property, you could then activate Step B of Theft Prevention Policy ..... (ideas soon to be offered by Nomads....maybe )....;)

chavycha - 4-3-2018 at 12:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
(ideas soon to be offered by Nomads....maybe )....;)

Jeez, Ged, the Google isn't that hard...

http://bfy.tw/HSFM

Paco Facullo - 4-3-2018 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bob and Susan  
the batteries in my spot last about 20 hours...then they need changing
I guess if you brought a bunch of AAA batteries...that would work

The batteries suggested to use are Ultimate Lithium Batteries.
Probably difficult to find in Baja. Next time in the US stock up on them. They lasted me about six months.

LancairDriver - 4-3-2018 at 12:32 PM

As in Baja and with most rural areas in the US the police response time in the wee hours allows time for the thieves to do their work and split before anyone shows up and they all know it. Unless you have your own private army ready to react they are long gone. The most effective deterrent is an ear splitting alarm tripped on entry. It attracts unknown attention and makes for very uncomfortable working conditions for the thieves. All of the hardware to put a system like this together is available from Walmart at very low cost.

aguachico - 4-3-2018 at 12:45 PM

Sucks. The only way to avoid that theft would be to take it out of the water or sleep on it with proper deterrent.

Paco Facullo - 4-3-2018 at 01:03 PM

Reminds me of a older woman that moved to Costa Rica to be with her boyfriend. She needed to make a living so she bought an expensive boat that she could charter out. She was aware of the theft possibilities so she hired a watchman to be there when they weren't.

Well, one night the boat goes missing and the watchman ends up with a bump on his head. The boat was never recovered.

So for a living she stated baking banana bread...
It was some really tasty banana bread to !

LukeJobbins - 4-3-2018 at 01:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Cliffy  

Someone needs to design a hidden "anchor alert" system that transmits to a shore alarm (battery powered). Boat moves >100 yds and the alarm wakes the dead. Takes into account anchor swing before alarm.

That’s an amazing idea. I’ve had boats pull the anchor and drift off during the night a few times. Pretty freaky waking up and not seeing a boat where it should be. Especially when you are on an island.

willardguy - 4-3-2018 at 01:47 PM

it'll be safer when the new La Escalera Nautica marina is completed....you'll be able to chain your boat to the dock and there'll be 24 hour guards standing watch. ;)

bajaguy - 4-3-2018 at 02:21 PM

Maybe a couple of these attached to boat, trailer, ATV, M/C........

https://fithops.com/products/12-gauge-perimeter-alarm

hermosok123 - 4-3-2018 at 04:12 PM

The term "Anchor Watch" might apply here. Skippers have been known to make certain hands stand them outside the wheelhouse. Falling down tends to keep you alert. Running em up the beach although a pain when the tide drops seems to work at the coops up and down the pac coast. Since Alphonsinas lacks a decent ramp maybe some of the guys could go together and get a tractor. That 20/20 hindsight deal.

Cliffy - 4-3-2018 at 05:56 PM

Today almost every boat in the Indian Ocean has "anti-pirate" measures in place, moving or docked!

chuckie - 4-3-2018 at 06:27 PM

And as much on the point, Boats in locked garages in Oxnard are seldom stolen in Baja.....

motoged - 4-3-2018 at 09:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chavycha  
Quote: Originally posted by motoged  
(ideas soon to be offered by Nomads....maybe )....;)

Jeez, Ged, the Google isn't that hard...

http://bfy.tw/HSFM

Yep...the OP can do the finger work....:coolup: