BajaNomad

Biosphere Reserve near Mexicali Boarder

dmer - 4-7-2018 at 05:37 PM

Hi,
I am trying to find out how to get to the nature reserve off of of hwy 5 near Mexicali. Does anyone know of the place and how to get there?

Thanks
dmer

David K - 4-7-2018 at 05:40 PM

Where did you hear of such a place?
The Rio Hardy (Colorado River Delta) is about 30 miles south of the border/ Mexicali.

Archie - 4-7-2018 at 07:42 PM

There´s only one natural protected area in the category of Biosphere Reserve near Mexicali and off hwy 5: Reserva de la Biosfera del Alto Golfo de California y delta del Río Colorado (Upper California Gulf and Colorado River Delta Biosphere Reserve).

No gates or fences, it's just an area where conservation and protection of natural resources is reinforced.

David K - 4-7-2018 at 07:51 PM

Yes, that is for the vaquita porpoise protection.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vaquita

Good reply Archie, I was thrown off by the "near Mexicali Border" part.

ehall - 4-7-2018 at 08:30 PM

If you are talking about the Pinacate you enter from the road between Lukeville and Rocky Point.

dmer - 4-8-2018 at 06:40 AM

Thank you all!!

There´s only one natural protected area in the category of Biosphere Reserve near Mexicali and off hwy 5: Reserva de la Biosfera del Alto Golfo de California y delta del Río Colorado (Upper California Gulf and Colorado River Delta Biosphere Reserve).

**Yes, this, above is the place.I don't see a sign of to the entrance. I only see the Rio Hardy sign. Any landmark, (or sign) that points to the entrance?

PaulW - 4-8-2018 at 07:09 AM

??
Hwy 5 has roads heading east to various places. Some are villages, like in the Rio Hardy area, some are commercial and some just provide access to get stuck in the mud.