BajaNomad

La Rumorosa Rock Art - presentation - May 4 '18

wilderone - 4-14-2018 at 07:43 AM

The San Diego Sierra Club's monthly presentation for May 4, 2018, is a show by Don Liponi based on his publication that focuses on rock art of the La Rumorosa region, including other border areas. "A meticulous search of the landscape employing ... DStretch enhancement rendered many more discoveries. Small traces of pigment often led to the resurrection of complete elements and rock art panels."
Sounds intriguing.
May 4 6:30 pm
Joyce Beers Center, 3900 Vermont St, San Diego 92103
Free

And if you're interested in another:
June 1 - Kumeyaay Ethnobotany: Shared Heritage of the Californias. By anthropologist Michael Wilken-Robertson
Same location

shari - 4-14-2018 at 09:47 AM

both of those presentation sound interesting...please report back if you attend!

elgatoloco - 4-14-2018 at 10:08 PM

Thanks for the heads up. If was in town I would go. Beers and ancient art at Joyces place.

Recently I went with some good friends to see the cave art in Sierra de San Francisco. It was amazing and has piqued my interest in rock/cave/primitive art exponentially. :dudette:

yumawill - 4-15-2018 at 06:14 AM

At what point on the "time line" does "Grafitti" become Ancient Art of a "Primitive sub-culture". Just wondering. Living in Yuma I'm exposed to much vivid and spiritual "Art" expressed on the side of Box Cars arriving from all across our Great Nation. Many of these pannels are in fact great works of art. Beautiful.

David K - 4-15-2018 at 09:15 AM

Quote: Originally posted by yumawill  
At what point on the "time line" does "Grafitti" become Ancient Art of a "Primitive sub-culture". Just wondering. Living in Yuma I'm exposed to much vivid and spiritual "Art" expressed on the side of Box Cars arriving from all across our Great Nation. Many of these pannels are in fact great works of art. Beautiful.

Great question. Archeological digs in a thousand years are going to find those box cars and try to interpret the meaning, lol!

wilderone - 4-15-2018 at 11:00 AM

There's a fascinating book called The Rocks Begin to Speak by Lavan Martineau. It's based on the premise that pictograph/petroglyph symbols have origins in sign language. There are many nuances of a single figure which can imply arriving, leaving, migration, those who were lame, or died, "look up", fleeing. And to have an understanding of the immediate surroundings such as cliff dwellings with moqui steps, water sources, canyons with perhaps only one access route, etc. would influence some writings.
PS: The Joyce Beers Center is a community meeting hall, located in a small shopping center, off University Ave.

wilderone - 5-5-2018 at 10:09 AM

Went to this presentation. Very interesting, and learned about D-Stretch. Some of the images transformed by D-stretch are phenomenal. Check out website - apparently created especially for pictographs.

http://www.dstretch.com/SanBorjitas/index.html

So "La Rumorosa" style rock art is found within a territorial range north to Riverside, east to Gila river/Colorado River, and south to Santo Tomas. There wasn't a lot of discussion about the meaning of the rock art, but the beauty of it in color and enhanced (beyond what is seen with naked eye) provides so much more, vis a vis analysis and appreciation. The book "La Rumorosa Rock Art Along the Border" is a great book, containing many significant contributing authors' perspectives, not only on rock art, but Native American lifestyle intertwined with spiritualism, nature and wilderness. He says he is working with the Tecate Kumeyeey (sp?) for further insight on the pictographs and analysis - says some beliefs are closely held and not readily discussed with outsiders.
The author, Don Liponi (and speaker last night) says he goes out with a few other archaeologists, et al., every weekend, and they are finding new images all the time. He is planning a second book to include additional findings. I believe his book is a standout considering the quality of the images, historical perspective.
I don't quite understand how to use D-stretch with a standard digital camera. Liponi says it works well with iphones (don't have one). I would love to use it. Maybe someone here can experiment and provide a tutorial (?).

David K - 5-5-2018 at 11:42 AM

Thank you, Cindi!

BigBearRider - 5-5-2018 at 09:00 PM

Very cool. Thanks.