BajaNomad

La Ballena Road?

Elena La Loca - 4-15-2018 at 01:24 PM

In what condition is the La Ballena Road over to Mulege?

When were you there last?

(asking for a friend!) :rolleyes:

David K - 4-16-2018 at 09:33 AM

LN, I was on the east (24 mile) part of it last August (from the Mission Guadalupe junction near El Aguajito to Mulegé). It was maintained but has a steep grade up and down, best driven in an SUV or truck with 4WD.

AKgringo - 4-16-2018 at 10:17 AM

My information is over a year old, but I doubt that the road has been upgraded since I drove it. The eastern two thirds of the road was much better than the portion that was in Arroyo San Raymundo!

It can be driven by any capable 2wd with good clearance, and reasonably good off road skills, but it is rough! There are many water crossings, and some of the high ground or approaches between the crossings had been washed out. The solution was to bulldoze a trail right down the arroyo with the large cobbles and small boulders that were available.

I would drive it again, but large soft tires would be advised, and plan on spending some time in the low ground.

CJ - 4-16-2018 at 03:17 PM

We did La Ballena to Mulegé the first of March in our utv very doable with a lot of water crossings. The ranchers are driving the road with their small trucks no problem. It was a very beautiful drive.

Elena La Loca - 4-16-2018 at 09:31 PM

Thanks for the replies. We've got (oops, I mean my "friend" has) all the info he needs.