BajaNomad

The most amazing thing happened!

BajaBlanca - 4-15-2018 at 09:31 PM

Exactly one year ago, I met a Brazilian triathlete at the local beach restaurant here in town and we got to talking about my scholarship program, how much I loved doing it and how rewarding it was. We talked for maybe 30 minutes, added each other on facebook and really didn't keep in touch.

She travels the world going to competitions.

Jump forward one year and the other day I get a note from her asking how I was doing. Then she says that she and her boyfriend are building a home in San Juanico AND she wants to start up a scholarship program like mine there!!

Is this just amazing or what??!! So, I already have a written master guide to my project in case something happens to me. I even have a person lined up to make sure the students are handled if for some reason I am incapacitated.

Now, I will adapt the project to her needs and the love will grow in San Juanico.

This has to be one of the most incredible of dreams coming true!

fishbuck - 4-15-2018 at 11:34 PM

That is amazing and very cool.
How does one start a scholarship program there.
Seems like the kids there are smart.
Maybe I could teach a kid there to fly and help get his/her Airman's Certificate.
You could have homegrown air service. Airmail you might call it.

shari - 4-16-2018 at 09:01 AM

that is a brilliant idea Blanca to design and share your scholarship program template with all you have learned in setting yours up...so other expats in villages where they live could set a program up too.

BajaTed - 4-16-2018 at 09:11 AM

Just think in the ROSY world of the FUZZY future, could there be a BAJA NOMAD scholarship fund???
Then we could all argue about the curriculum for longer than the Turtle Soup thread.

TMW - 4-16-2018 at 01:19 PM

Excellent Blanca, good for you and her.

BajaBlanca - 4-16-2018 at 06:26 PM

great idea to make a master booklet that anyone could replicate.

It was so scary and so hard when I first started out and I picked many people's brains to get to where I am now.

my dream is that the towns that don't have folks helping smart but economically challenged kids get a helping hand - San Ignacio and Bahia Asuncion are the first to come to mind.

Paco Facullo - 4-16-2018 at 06:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
Just think in the ROSY world of the FUZZY future, could there be a BAJA NOMAD scholarship fund???
Then we could all argue about the curriculum for longer than the Turtle Soup thread.

Me thinks there already is, of sorts....

( I really should be more grammatically correct when on a smart thread as this ) but what-da-ya expect from a stupid plumber ???

Well, x-plumber , that is....

BajaBlanca - 4-16-2018 at 07:03 PM

My thought exactly. There already is. None of this could have been accomplished without everyone's help with the dentists and the graduations and the raffles and the tuitions and the hostings when they go to the States. We have created miracles together and I am very grateful to part of this Baja family!

dionbrown - 4-19-2018 at 01:48 PM

How nice! Sounds like an awesome opportunity for those much deserving of it. Keep us updated on process! Would love to hear about the impact once running.

-DB

gator - 4-20-2018 at 12:59 PM

Awesome work! Nice to see a great idea grow wings.