BajaNomad

drone fishing WHAT!!

blackwolfmt - 4-19-2018 at 08:15 AM

https://youtu.be/370yLEr-5uM

Udo - 4-19-2018 at 08:22 AM

That is one helluvacast!

Paco Facullo - 4-19-2018 at 08:29 AM

THAT just ain't playin fair .....

Pretty soon they'll have a drone to go out and catch, fillet , ice em, bring them home to you while you sit on your fat ass watching it all happen on your smartphone.

Won't that be nice ?

woody with a view - 4-19-2018 at 01:45 PM

Its illegal in cali.

imlost - 4-19-2018 at 02:26 PM

It's also illegal in Oregon, which I think is good. Keep it difficult, so the fish population has a chance to rebound.

fishbuck - 4-19-2018 at 07:30 PM

I didn't see it catch a fish.
I was already thinking about it.
I've seen guys use remote control model boats to get way out.

[Edited on 4-20-2018 by fishbuck]

JZ - 4-19-2018 at 07:52 PM

Quote: Originally posted by blackwolfmt  
https://youtu.be/370yLEr-5uM

Welcome to 2015.

BajaMama - 4-20-2018 at 05:17 AM

I love that! But what I wonder is this: While using the remote to retrieve the drone after casting, what do you do when a fish takes off with your lure? Which do you pick, the drone or the fish?????????

BajaGringo - 4-20-2018 at 07:24 AM

Now somehow that just doesn't seem quite fair. Really takes a lot of the sport out of surf fishing IMHO...

Paco Facullo - 4-20-2018 at 07:39 AM

Exactly my thought also !

It won't be long before someone, has on the market, a drone equipped with a 12 gauge for hunting deer , wild boar and such...

Or here's a thought , a drone flying along with the geese and ducks to take them down in flight !

While the hunter stays all warm and toasty in his duck bling sipping on a warm toddy...

Truthfully , there have been times while smudging around through the reeds, knee high in pond mud , cold as Hell , that doesn't sound half bad ?

blackwolfmt - 4-20-2018 at 08:12 AM

I'm old school, stupid drone cant help me catch fish:lol:

fly1.jpg - 8kB

aguachico - 4-20-2018 at 08:56 AM

Drone fishing is not new. Been going on for a few years now.
If I was stuck on shore and wanted my baits further out... why not?

wessongroup - 4-20-2018 at 09:04 AM

It isn't just about a "fish" .. for some

Pacifico - 4-20-2018 at 09:31 AM

Then there's this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PX74gr9RM

aguachico - 4-20-2018 at 11:06 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
Then there's this....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3PX74gr9RM

That was cool. I wonder what the bait looks like when it hits the water.

bobrehfuss - 4-20-2018 at 11:14 AM

Ok not hating on anyone and I’m an avid fisherman both from beach and boat of which I own several. I just want to throw out a point of view on this and have a conversation cause I think it’s interesting and like to get other opinions even if they are not in line with my own.

So let me get this straight. You fisherman that spend tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands and even millions of dollars on the best boats and sophisticated electronics, not to mention rods, reels, lures and bait so that you can get miles, tens of miles, even hundreds of miles out to get to the fish are scoffing at this drone thing? C’mon kind of the pot calling the kettle black isn’t it? The drone isn’t fishing for the angler it’s simply delivering the bait to the anglers desired location. What’s the difference between that and someone launching their boat so they can get their bait in the desired location? Sometimes drones are used for spotting fish, birds, kelp paddies, etc. as well. How does that differ from fish finders, bird spotting radar and underwater cameras that are commonplace in fishing today?

How about kite fishing? It’s perfectly legal and has been in practice for decades and nobody scoffs at that. Some guys even lug a helium tank on the boat to attach balloons to the kite to make it fly better before they use it to get their bait to the desired location. See what I’m getting at here?

Also I believe you are both incorrect about the legality of using a kite, drone or RC boat for fishing. If you look closely at the regs I believe you will find that just like your boat these mechanical devices are legal with some conditions. The must be closely monitored by the angler and they may not aid in the retrieval or capture of a fish but they may be used to present/deliver your bait to a desired location as long as it is not connected to the line once a fish takes the bait/lure. In the case of a drone the operator must comply with all local, state and federal conditions of operation. Beyond that as far as I can tell drone fishing is perfectly legal and ethical.

Let’s have a discussion. I’m ready for someone to convince me that drone fishing is wrong but before you do I’d like you to think if you personally use spinning or conventional gear and you have ever phad a fly fisherman look down upon you because the method you chose for fishing wasn’t as pure as theirs and therefore wasn’t acceptable. How about a spear fisherman looking down on a rod and reel guy because they don’t get in the water and go “Mano a Mano” with the fish. Being an avid freshwater and saltwater fly, spin and conventional angler from shore and boat as well as a spear fisherman I can tell you that it happens all the time.

Sooooo, just because you don’t do it or haven’t try it does that make it wrong, unethical or immoral?

Ok, I got the popcorn ready, let’s go but please play nice boys and girls :)

bobrehfuss - 4-20-2018 at 11:29 AM

BTW, I do not own or use a drone for fishing but after a few days last week of standing waist deep in cold water off the coast of northern Baja so I could cast far enough to get to the fish I’m thinking about getting one, lol.

Surf perch fishing was pretty good but no corvina or halibut for me.

Also in response to the question of what to do if the fish takes your bait right away....do you catch the fish or fly the drone. The drones have a built in gps and they know what coordinates they launched from. With the push of a button they autonomously return to the exact location they took off from. From shore would work perfect. From a moving boat would require operater assistance as the coordinates would change.

Paco Facullo - 4-20-2018 at 11:31 AM

To each their own. But just how far will it go? As in the examples I have previously given ...

Would you say sitting back and having a drone shoot down ducks and geese in flight while the "hunter' errrr "game player" watches on a monitor ?

I see what your saying and all good points , it's where you draw your own line in the sand....

Bottom line is that a lot of these new methods simply take the "sport" out of the equation and for many that is where the fun lay's .......

bobrehfuss - 4-20-2018 at 11:35 AM

Thanks for that well spoken reply and likewise points well made and taken.

No I wouldn’t think shooting ducks with a drone would be much sport but might be fun, haha.

The most successful hunters I know use game cameras all the time. Very high tech but commonplace in hunting today. What’s your take on that technology?

Again not bashing, just like a good conversation.

Paco Facullo - 4-20-2018 at 11:48 AM

Well, I'm old school and as such don't like all this new technology stuff.

Case in point, when the Whale and tuna boats started using spotter planes it effectively is causing a diminished fish-stocks.. I do realize that's a business and they NEED to be most cost effective though .

But with sport fishers and hunters , I feel it's just wrong.

Look at what they are calling themselves " sport "- whatever's
with all this new tech it takes a lot of the sport out of the equation. Don't cha think ????

Paco Facullo - 4-20-2018 at 11:58 AM

Here's a good analogy I just thought of, have a drone transport you to the top of Mount Everest so you could effectively say "I made it to the top of Mount Everest ! And you wouldn't be lying either....

But you didn't REALLY accomplish much, now did you. Except for your ego based bragging.........

You simply took the sport out of doing it....

I do realize that I am getting WAY out there from simply a drone improving your casting but I'm just making a point....

[Edited on 4-20-2018 by Paco Facullo]

fishbuck - 4-20-2018 at 12:16 PM

If you fly yourself to the top of Mt Everest on a drone it would be much more impressive than climbing up.
You'd either be the 1st to accomplish it or the most recent fatality there.
Helicopters can make it. But only a special type and pilot.
It's necessary for the idiots that try to climb the thing and don't make it. There are lots.

bobrehfuss - 4-20-2018 at 12:17 PM

No it’s a good point. I totally understand where you are coming from. To be honest some of my most enjoyable fishing is without any electronics, maps, fish reports, etc. Simply walking down the beach or a river, looking for fish or good water and casting. Sometimes I catch. Sometimes I don’t. Every time I have fun.

I suppose that simplicity is what draws me to Baja year after year :)

fishbuck - 4-20-2018 at 12:25 PM

Even the best Mexican captain still need a depth finder to get on the "spot".

Paco Facullo - 4-20-2018 at 12:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bobrehfuss  
No it’s a good point. I totally understand where you are coming from. To be honest some of my most enjoyable fishing is without any electronics, maps, fish reports, etc. Simply walking down the beach or a river, looking for fish or good water and casting. Sometimes I catch. Sometimes I don’t. Every time I have fun.

I suppose that simplicity is what draws me to Baja year after year :)

Now your talkin, that's the "real" stuff .....

blackwolfmt - 4-20-2018 at 12:38 PM

Thanks PACO ,,you pretty much look at it the same way I do that's awzome I would like to add unless a person is disabled whether hunting or fishing I would say comon man quit cheatin:coolup:

shari - 4-20-2018 at 03:37 PM

Bob you are my hero! so very reasonable, courteous, well spoken and open to discussion from any point of view....nice thread....like everything....fishing techniques evolve....ever moving & blurring the lines in the sand.

Pacifico - 4-21-2018 at 07:39 AM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
Even the best Mexican captain still need a depth finder to get on the "spot".

Not sure I agree with this, as it is not always the case. I've fished with many Mexican captains who have no electronics, but do know about triangulation and landmarks! Shari, would you agree?

shari - 4-21-2018 at 08:08 AM

fishing has changed alot since I came to central baja...I remember when Juan scoffed at fishing with a rod...they only hand lined. But after trying it...well...our house is full of rods now as well as GPS'S, fish finders etc.
While yes the experienced fishermen know where the fish often hang out but they move! So Juan says that nowadays, success comes with seeing those fish under the boat or not so one doesnt waste time trying to fish a spot where there are no fish at the moment...soooo...he votes for the technology.

John Harper - 5-8-2018 at 02:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bobrehfuss  
I’m an avid fisherman both from beach and boat of which I own several.

You own several beaches? Must be nice.

John