BajaNomad

Ever take a boat to the middle of no where?

JZ - 4-21-2018 at 04:29 PM

Over Easter break my 14 and 16 yo's and I drove 12 hrs from SoCal to Bahia de Los Angeles and then went 50 miles out on a super panga to Puerto Refugio and camped out.

Puerto Refugio is the big bay on the Northern tip of Isla Angel de la Guarda, and is flanked by three smaller islands - Isla Mejia, Isla Division, and Isla Granito.

The famous Sail Rock guards the entrance to the beautiful bay.

We heard all about the rattle snakes that are only known to the island, but after worrying about them a good bit, we didn't even see one.

[Edited on 5-1-2018 by JZ]

blackwolfmt - 4-21-2018 at 04:43 PM

Way Cool JZ looks like you got that video stuff down, looks like a great spot for some drone fishing :lol::lol: Just kidding...Thanks for postin

bajabuddha - 4-21-2018 at 04:47 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Over Eastern break I took my 14 and 16 yo's.....

What's an Eastern break? I didn't think there was surfing on the SOC. :?:

woody with a view - 4-21-2018 at 04:57 PM

Awesome!

Pacifico - 4-21-2018 at 06:27 PM

Cool video, JZ! I remember Guillermo telling me about all the rattlesnakes on the island and that when he overnights out there, that he sleeps on the boat!

JZ - 4-21-2018 at 07:13 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
Cool video, JZ! I remember Guillermo telling me about all the rattlesnakes on the island and that when he overnights out there, that he sleeps on the boat!

I actually had to argue with him a bit to take us to the cove we camped in. I put my foot down and glad I did, as all of this was shot in 24hrs and a bunch of it from where we camped.

He did sleep on the boat, across the bay off one of the small islands. In the AM my MX friend climbed the hill and looked over to where he was supposed to be anchored and the boat was gone. I was mildly worried, but figured he was out fishing early.

It took about an hour, but we got a hold of him on the radio. I did make a mental note of how much water we had because my kid told me when we were driving out about a story he read of 2 guys walking around the island for a week plus before one of them was rescued.

[Edited on 4-22-2018 by JZ]

BornFisher - 4-21-2018 at 09:43 PM

Great vid! Thanks, a special place. Been there before, vid tells me to return.

LancairDriver - 4-21-2018 at 10:29 PM

Great video as usual. Thanks for sharing. Lucky kids to get that kind of exposure to Baja. That will last them a lifetime.

watizname - 4-22-2018 at 07:49 AM

That Sir was very cool. It reminded me of the my very first trip to Bay of LA many many years ago. Pristine, uncrowded full of life. Thanks.:coolup:

pappy - 4-22-2018 at 08:39 AM

Nice! And Buddha, you might be surprised about soc surf...

baitcast - 4-22-2018 at 09:53 AM

A campsite to die for.........I've seen pictures of the place But this!!............You do have this wired!......Great stuff!
Rob

LukeJobbins - 4-22-2018 at 10:27 AM

That has to be the most confused those seals have ever been. A true ufo to them.

4x4abc - 4-22-2018 at 12:16 PM

Spectacular!

advrider - 4-22-2018 at 06:52 PM

Very cool, how many days did you stay? Was it Igor that took you out? Really love your videos and the perspective that it gives..

Pacifico - 4-22-2018 at 06:58 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

I actually had to argue with him a bit to take us to the cove we camped in. I put my foot down and glad I did, as all of this was shot in 24hrs and a bunch of it from where we camped.

He did sleep on the boat, across the bay off one of the small islands. In the AM my MX friend climbed the hill and looked over to where he was supposed to be anchored and the boat was gone. I was mildly worried, but figured he was out fishing early.

It took about an hour, but we got a hold of him on the radio. I did make a mental note of how much water we had because my kid told me when we were driving out about a story he read of 2 guys walking around the island for a week plus before one of them was rescued.

[Edited on 4-22-2018 by JZ]

I remember that. It was 2 or 3 American guys and a panga operator from one of the mothership operations. Crazy story...one of the guys died. If I remember right, the wind came up and they had no radios or safety equipment. I think they made it up to the north part of the island where there was a small military outpost...

chumlee57 - 4-22-2018 at 07:46 PM

yea, if its the story I remember, they walked around the island foe quazie empty water bottles and survived off of them, i don't remember anyone passing away, could'a been a another story, i thought I read it in Western Outdoor News, many years ago. Great video amigo, u got that stuff down

JZ - 4-22-2018 at 07:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Very cool, how many days did you stay? Was it Igor that took you out? Really love your videos and the perspective that it gives..

We just stayed out on the island one night. We rode the other days of the trip. But man did we get lucky with the weather. Flat as a pancake the first day.

In July we are going to ride the entire Seven Sisters. I'm going to try some different stuff for that ride. I've been watching a bunch of videos of the best mount places for GoPros and I'm going to mix some of those shots in. Also planning to get a smaller drone and do more closeup, moving shots on difficult parts of the trails.

The price of this tech has come down so much it's really affordable now.

[Edited on 4-23-2018 by JZ]

BajaBlanca - 4-22-2018 at 07:57 PM

What a great video! Thank you so much for sharing, that was just incredible to watch.

How sad that the American guys died, I see cacti, surely they could have eaten them???

advrider - 4-22-2018 at 07:59 PM

The seven sisters is one of my favorite rides after doing it this year. I want to go back and do it over several day and camp as we go, it's a very special area...

Marc - 4-22-2018 at 09:54 PM

Now on my Bucket List.

Doug/Vamonos - 5-1-2018 at 07:27 AM

My neighbors and I want to do that. Did you have any problems with bugs?

JZ - 5-1-2018 at 07:57 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
My neighbors and I want to do that. Did you have any problems with bugs?

They were pretty nasty until the sun went down. We only had basic repellent. Bring some good stuff.

Bubba - 5-2-2018 at 04:26 AM

Awesome video, water looks amazing!

BajaMama - 5-2-2018 at 06:55 AM

Ah, the middle of no-where. One of my favorite places!

TMW - 5-2-2018 at 10:33 AM

Wow awesome video, thanks.

baitcast - 4-1-2020 at 12:19 PM

Its been a couple of years and this is to fine to not view once again!
Rob

bajafreaks - 4-1-2020 at 12:39 PM

That just made my day...thanks

chippy - 4-1-2020 at 01:01 PM

Cool vid!
https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-xpm-2000-oct-18-sp-38256...
Crazy story.

Nice video!

Don Jorge - 4-1-2020 at 07:00 PM

baja1.jpg - 98kB

In August of 2001 my wife and I towed our 21 ft Potter built Seacraft to LA Bay. We stayed at Raquel and Larry’s and launched from the Villa Vita ramp.
We spent 2 nights out at La Guardia with one at Este Ton and the other at Refugio.

At that moment in time the offshore islands were a known stop for the Sinaloa folks and there had been reports of wrong place at the wrong time happenings. I was not overly concerned but kept my eyes open.
We caught dorado every day, we snorkeled, beach combed and generally goofed off the whole time. The one dorado we kept daily was grilled nightly while on the hook and was delicious.

2.jpg - 97kB

While snorkeling near Isolote we were visited by the Navy. My wife was freaking out as the skiff and the boys with guns came up to us quickly. I had noticed then Navy frigate earlier and was not surprised when they sent the skiff to visit.

Later my wife asked why I was so calm. Simple I said, “When the military is here they are not.” She asked who are they? I just smiled and said it doesn’t matter because they are not here.

I never did tell her about the then recent incident of “them” running out of fuel and holding a fisherman hostage near Refugio while his companion and his boat went back to LA Bay for fuel for “them.” It all ended safely for everyone that time but it was not something my wife needed to fret about.

The beach combing on the northern point is awesome and the sea lion colony out there is the loudest party I have ever heard. All night long they went on and on and sleeping was difficult.

We used to drag our boats all over Baja and spent the night at many a place on the hook. Refugio is one place we will always remember. Thanks for reminding us!

3.jpg - 98kB

elgatoloco - 4-2-2020 at 09:55 AM

:cool:

Mulege Canuck - 4-4-2020 at 07:23 AM

Gracias Don Jorge

Planning a trip from BOLA to Mulege next November in my Windrider 17 trimaran. Enjoyed your report!