BajaNomad

Driving San Diego to Los Barriles June 3

Ablaschke - 4-28-2018 at 07:01 PM

My husband and I are driving down and would like to find someone else driving their own car down at the same time.
Please let us know if you would like to meet up.

Thanks!
Andrea

surfhat - 4-29-2018 at 12:30 PM

I hope your vehicle of choice is built for severe road and offroad conditions.

I would never recommend taking a car down there. The evidence can be seen with bumpers and fenders being held on with coat hanger wires.

A solid suspension built for abuse is essential.

There is no way to avoid repeated bottoming out the many potholes in well known sections of the roadway, no matter how we try to avoid them.

Truck rated tires with 10 plies should be mandatory. Passenger tires can fail at any time and are not designed for what you will encounter.

Your planned drive is always a great experience if you are prepared for all that Baja offers besides the endless beauty of mother nature.

I have always loved the drive down to the east cape since I first made it down in 75.

June on the east cape is the bomb. The predominate winter north winds let up, it is warm and any shade is appreciated. Surfing, fishing, snorkeling, beach combing, is living the dream.

Occasionally in June the water can be a bit cool for short periods, so take a spring suit.

The protected reef at Cabo Pulmo is not to be missed for snorkeling.

Travel safe, and as many here have professed, avoid driving at night. Plan each days mileage to stop and enjoy a sunset in the afternoon.

Many here have their favorite places to stop for the night. The destination is secondary to all that is available on this scenic roadway. Take all that it has to offer.

The locals along the way are a treasure and not to be missed.

Peace, love and fish tacos. Thanks to all here.

BajaBlanca - 4-30-2018 at 02:12 PM

Andrea- you will meet so many people while heading down! Stop at any gas station and make friends with the folks in the next vehicle and voila! You are now in a caravan.

Have a wonderful trip and post some photos afterwards of all the fun you had!

chavycha - 4-30-2018 at 02:51 PM

A car is fine as long as it's not lowered and you take your time.

Yes, if you drive 75mph at night, you'll hit things (hard) but it's not anywhere near as bad as the post above makes it sound.