BajaNomad

Something, some will never get.

MMc - 4-30-2018 at 09:21 PM

Copied from a friend of mine:
"Don't think it doesn't matter if you are posting a photo of a surf spot and naming it or giving clues or one that has a backdrop that gives the spot away. It is not the smart play. EVERY post adds to the crowd, EVERYTIME. DON'T DO IT, DON'T BE A CROWD SEEDER"

There are no secret places in Baja. There are some that are a bit harder to find. Some of us here love our little place of magic and hope to keep them off the trade routes and becoming surf waste lands.
If you ride a single tract until it becomes a road, is it the same?
If everybody is fishing the same high spot, will it hold fish over time?

[Edited on 5-1-2018 by MMc]

4x4abc - 4-30-2018 at 10:11 PM

could not agree more

Rossman - 5-1-2018 at 05:00 AM

Sorry, I'm not a surfer. Never been on a board in my 70 years of life but not sure I understand the analogy. There are a finite number of fish and an infinite number of waves and whether there is 1 or 100 people watching, it makes no difference to the wave.

paranewbi - 5-1-2018 at 05:07 AM

Don't show a friend because they have friends
Don't take your kids because they have friends and will have kids
Don't take your wife because she will know where to find you
Don't take your car because it leaves tracks
Just stay home and you won't crowd out my beach

In 1963 when I was 8 years old, it took two of us, my surf bro and I, to carry the board across the street from John's surf shop (stored there) to the waters of OB. How was I suppose to keep that a secret spot?

Timo1 - 5-1-2018 at 05:14 AM

Oh Gawd !!!
Another "special interest" group

woody with a view - 5-1-2018 at 05:17 AM

If you surf dont stop
If you dont surf dont start

chippy - 5-1-2018 at 06:17 AM

yawn.

4x4abc - 5-1-2018 at 07:07 AM

an environmentalist is someone who built last year

MMc - 5-1-2018 at 07:54 AM

The first part of the quote was posted about Newport Beach. There is not a place in Newport that isn't surfed. He's just a local, I used it as a extreme example of how many feel.

Many posters here drive around for a vacation that's how they enjoy Baja. Some of us set up camp and stay a week or two. Both of these ways are very different experiences, Micro vs Macro.

There are no secrets in Baja, with a little research you can find just anything. I think doing the research helps in discovering of the adventure or a place. I get why many come here to find answers about a place in Baja. I just hate to see many places exposed to the masses.
Many of us have watched our loved surf spots become ghettos or land developed and closed. Many or us will share over a campfire or a beer, the issue is posting on the web and how many see it.

If you are surfing with 10 people in the water you are sharing, if you are surfing with 20 people in the water you are competing.

chippy - 5-1-2018 at 08:23 AM

Quote: Originally posted by MMc  
The first part of the quote was posted about Newport Beach. There is not a place in Newport that isn't surfed. He's just a local, I used it as a extreme example of how many feel.

Many posters here drive around for a vacation that's how they enjoy Baja. Some of us set up camp and stay a week or two. Both of these ways are very different experiences, Micro vs Macro.

There are no secrets in Baja, with a little research you can find just anything. I think doing the research helps in discovering of the adventure or a place. I get why many come here to find answers about a place in Baja. I just hate to see many places exposed to the masses.
Many of us have watched our loved surf spots become ghettos or land developed and closed. Many or us will share over a campfire or a beer, the issue is posting on the web and how many see it.

If you are surfing with 10 people in the water you are sharing, if you are surfing with 20 people in the water you are competing.

Huh?:?::lol:

LukeJobbins - 5-1-2018 at 08:27 AM

There is no good answer. The first person to discover a spot probably tromped a few bushes to get there. If you don’t share your most fun experiences with people it isn’t as fun. If you do share it will see crowds.

I don’t have a problem with sharing spots because I typically only surf super heavy waves that 90% of people wouldn’t go to anyways. And I always share waves and just be patient and have fun no matter how crowded it is.

bajabuddha - 5-1-2018 at 09:40 AM

Trouble is, we all wanna be the Last Pioneer; get through the door and lock it behind us so tick-tock, the game is locked and nobody else can play. Also known as NIMBY door-slammers (Not In My Back Yard!).

I had to face this dilemma when I was running rivers, starting in the '70s. Within 10-15 years permits became harder and sometimes impossible to acquire, ramps became zoos, regulations tighter and tighter. Google Grand Canyon permit system and see how ridiculously tough it is to get a trip down The Big Ditch.

Bottom line is, we must all admit WE ARE RESPONSIBLE for it, because we started it, and the people who came before you are pounding sand about you as well... it's a never ending situation, and will never change. Just ask the Native American Indian. Time, progress marches on and like George Harrison said, "Within you or without you".

BajaTed - 5-1-2018 at 10:09 AM

+1, No good answer
Just feel blessed to have surfed when and where you did. For me, my last words intend to be"going left brah"
Most importantly though it was with WHOM you were surfing at that spot with that matters in the end, the waves are forever.
T-street San Clemente, 1965

motoged - 5-1-2018 at 10:34 AM

As said, it is not just surf spots that we can get possessive over....may of us enjoy the spots less traveled far from the madding crowds.

Humans are a virus on this blue planet....spreading and leaving their toxic slime trail like garden slugs...

Enjoy it unobtrusively while you can with the smallest slime trail left behind.

pacsur - 5-1-2018 at 01:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
+1, No good answer
Just feel blessed to have surfed when and where you did. For me, my last words intend to be"going left brah"
Most importantly though it was with WHOM you were surfing at that spot with that matters in the end, the waves are forever.
T-street San Clemente, 1965

BajaTed, what year you graduate SCHS?

sancho - 5-1-2018 at 03:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by motoged  

Humans are a virus on this blue planet....spreading and leaving their toxic slime trail like garden slugs...

Ged, Come on cheer me up, wish I could disagree with you. Must have
been dropping in on Baja Ted in '65,
surfed T Street '65-'74, although spent most of my surf days
3/4 mi. so. of T at Lausen, not the butchered, misspelled current
newcomers that think it Lost Winds, SCHS

pacsur - 5-1-2018 at 03:54 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Ged, Come on cheer me up, wish I could disagree with you. Must have
been dropping in on Baja Ted in '65,
surfed T Street '65-'74, although spent most of my surf days
3/4 mi. so. of T at Lausen, not the butchered, misspelled current
newcomers that think it Lost Winds, SCHS

Don't forget Croply's, beach house, and the hole...

chuckie - 5-1-2018 at 04:47 PM

Sharing those spots may be OK...What chaps my Burro is the almost immediate questions about why don't they pave the road, and "is the there good cell service" and "is it safe" and "when will there be a tour" and all that BS..The"old" Baja is going fast if it's not gone already...To some of us..Thats very sad......BUT I saw the best of it...and loved it...

MMc - 5-1-2018 at 04:55 PM

Many of the surf spots now have cell coverage. Baja is getting smaller, and spelling adventure isn't done with caps anymore. I wish those coming up now could experience like some of us older guys did. Surfline hasn't helped at all, but I use it.

woody with a view - 5-1-2018 at 05:47 PM

For the first time booger eater surfing out there its magic. That same booger eater realizes that those who were there prior are god-like.

Otherwise, he just continues eating boogers.

motoged - 5-1-2018 at 07:28 PM

Any Booger Eater t-shirts....yet?:coolup:

motoged - 5-1-2018 at 07:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by sancho  

Ged, Come on cheer me up, wish I could disagree with you.....

Sancho,
I am not glum about it....it's just my analysis...;)

I try to tread lightly and offer some kindness to others along the way....but willing to stand up for my beliefs.

Some sunshine:

David Nuevo - 5-1-2018 at 08:01 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Rossman  
Sorry, I'm not a surfer. Never been on a board in my 70 years of life but not sure I understand the analogy. There are a finite number of fish and an infinite number of waves and whether there is 1 or 100 people watching, it makes no difference to the wave.

That isn't a good analogy; as far as I know, fish reproduce, and more than one fisherman can be hooked up at the same time. A good rideable wave, however, is a rare and precious phenomenon that is damn near worthless with more than one surfer on it, and nobody is out there to watch it, much less care if it "makes a difference to the wave".

lewmt - 5-1-2018 at 08:25 PM

A good rideable wave, however, is a rare and precious phenomenon that is damn near worthless with more than one surfer on it

So glad I kite & don't surf & don't mind bombing through your sanctimonius lineup & then zip back out to catch another

Paco Facullo - 5-1-2018 at 09:13 PM

Motoged, Them's are sum REALLY great sunshine photos there !

Bubba - 5-2-2018 at 02:46 AM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
For the first time booger eater surfing out there its magic. That same booger eater realizes that those who were there prior are god-like.

Otherwise, he just continues eating boogers.

Spot on!

bajaric - 5-2-2018 at 09:26 AM

I have not surfed for, decades... but even back in the 1980's there were lists of "secret" surf spots in Baja. The difference was that they were printed on paper, and not searchable with the click of a mouse.

pappy - 5-3-2018 at 06:53 AM

Just posting stuff like this piques the interest of some who may now want to go discover what you are talking about...

watizname - 5-3-2018 at 07:22 AM

All I can say is that I'm glad that when I was coming up, early 60's, we actually called our friends and told everyone when the surf was up. We would get as many friends as we could in a car and head out to share waves at our favorite spots. Dora was probably the only a$$ in the water. It was fun, fun, fun. I'm glad to have those memories.

BajaTed - 5-4-2018 at 11:29 AM

The beat goes on.
Who's on the list for a longboard session at Kelly Slater's automated perfect wave surf ranch in beautiful Delano CA???
Really like the idea of jumping of a structure right into the path of a 5 foot left or right. Sure beats the near drownings of my youth at Blacks beach.
Secrets out; you can see it on Google earth.

Will the secret spot of the future be an automated lagoon in Saudi Arabia ???

willardguy - 5-4-2018 at 11:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaTed  
The beat goes on.
Who's on the list for a longboard session at Kelly Slater's automated perfect wave surf ranch in beautiful Delano CA???
Really like the idea of jumping of a structure right into the path of a 5 foot left or right. Sure beats the near drownings of my youth at Blacks beach.
Secrets out; you can see it on Google earth.

Will the secret spot of the future be an automated lagoon in Saudi Arabia ???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMEyZiwyAc8

what next, sponge? :P

woody with a view - 5-4-2018 at 03:37 PM

They’re supposed to build a KS wave pool as part of the revovation of Seaport Village in SD. If they can crank out 20 waves per hour and only five guys in the water I’d pay a hundo to get 4 or 5..... 👍👀👌

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by woody with a view]

chippy - 5-4-2018 at 04:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  
They’re supposed to build a KS wave pool as part of the revovation of Seaport Village in SD. If they can crank out 20 waves per hour and only five guys in the water I’d pay a hundo to get 4 or 5..... 👍👀👌

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by woody with a view]

:lol::lol::lol::lol:Really. Have you checked out the water usage?:wow:
http://forum.surfer.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&am...

Nice dream booger eater:light::lol::lol::lol:

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by chippy]

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by chippy]

woody with a view - 5-4-2018 at 05:15 PM

I said "supposed to." Here's a thought for a crusty old ***. Why not pull in the ocean water from the bay? Isn't salt water still plentiful?

chippy - 5-4-2018 at 05:37 PM

How bout go find a natural wave:light: Still got it in ya? Or just pay da man/fnkellyslater. You think pumping pcific water into a wavepool is a good idea?Funny you arguing this on this forum. u givin up? maybe sum1 will push your azz into kellys wave. good luc wit dat.

woody with a view - 5-4-2018 at 05:39 PM

Unfortunately, I work for a living. I’m not a trust fund baby.

And I wouldn’t change a minute of it!

chippy - 5-4-2018 at 05:56 PM

WOW:o trust fund baby! Thats a 1st. Not even close. But if it makes you sleep better? working for a living is over rated after a certain age:light: I guess you haven´t figured that out yet.:lol:

[Edited on 5-5-2018 by chippy]

woody with a view - 5-4-2018 at 06:12 PM

I wouldn't change a minute!

David Nuevo - 5-4-2018 at 08:11 PM

Quote: Originally posted by lewmt  

A good rideable wave, however, is a rare and precious phenomenon that is damn near worthless with more than one surfer on it

So glad I kite & don't surf & don't mind bombing through your sanctimonius lineup & then zip back out to catch another

I'm glad you don't know where my sanctimonious lineup is.

mtgoat666 - 5-4-2018 at 08:44 PM

This thread just reinforces my belief that surfers are dingleberry-filled butt cracks :P

Lee - 5-4-2018 at 09:56 PM

Count me in. Lemoore, CA

MMc - 5-5-2018 at 06:23 AM

They even kept this place secret for a awhile. I know guys that have surfed this place, they say it is insane, after you figure it out.

While there are no secrets anymore some of us wish the changes in Baja would slow down. Be it fishing, surfing, riding, and exploring.
"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

pacificobob - 5-5-2018 at 07:47 AM

As said, it is not just surf spots that we can get possessive over....may of us enjoy the spots less traveled far from the madding crowds.

good comment

del mar - 5-5-2018 at 09:12 AM

WSL Founders Cup of Surfing day one at the pond....watch it live!

http://www.worldsurfleague.com/posts/321467/wsl-founders-cup...

BajaTed - 5-5-2018 at 10:13 AM

When the "pond" has a price special and San O is about to go off, what is modern surfer to do???

Use the CA state rope tow and line up in the shark net zone @ San Onofre or jump in the pond??

Having Lowers to myself and a friend when Nixon was there in 72; PRICELESS:bounce:

del mar - 5-5-2018 at 10:21 AM

:lol: nomad trituradora's

Sparetimewanted - 5-5-2018 at 01:02 PM

I totally get this. I remember discovering how great kayak fishing was off La Jolla 25 years ago. Only a few did it. Then came the guys with big egos, and the internet. A few guys started posting, and soon it went from 5 guys out on a good weekend, to 50 guys out every Sat and Sun. Still good fishing, but not the same with the large number of people. Like Baja, it would have been discovered eventually, but the posters expedited the process. I can't get mad at them, just frustrated.

I am glad I got to enjoy Baja from the 70-'s through out my life, but always worry about what it will be in 25 years. Hopefully not another Cabo throughout the Sea.

I remember a neighbor of mine telling me in 1971, that he was done going to Loreto on his annual fishing trip because it was fished out! Sheesh. Must have been great then. Hopefully the Mex Govt will figure a way to keep it great and have jobs for the locals at the same time, but keep tourism in just a few big areas. On a recent kayak trip from Mulege to Loreto saw about two miles of gill nets. I reported it to Fonatur and they said it is legal if the fisherman have permit. Not much left on those reefs except smaller triggerfish. They can never take away the beauty or the sunrises!

Alm - 5-5-2018 at 01:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by LukeJobbins  
If you don’t share your most fun experiences with people it isn’t as fun. If you do share it will see crowds.

It's all in the post #1. Share without giving out the location.

If that additional fun of "sharing" with potentially millions of people that you don't know and likely don't want to know, - if this is really necessary for someone's emotional health, - then share. But don't give out the location, including details on the background that might identify the place.

There is a slang term "crowing", eh? :)

David K - 5-5-2018 at 02:24 PM

It doesn't really matter if you share or not, as long as the location is difficult to get to (requires four-wheel-drive), or in Mexico, it will remain mostly vacant of surfing people.

The combination of being in Mexico, and bad roads to get to, has kept much of the Seven Sisters region the same for decades.

The paved road to Santa Rosalillita and the well-graded dirt highway that goes from there north to Punta Cono is the real enemy of human isolation, not photos, maps, or road guides. The region has been mapped and road logged since the 1950s and that has not brought crowds in. Plus, the surf there is seasonal. So, is it really so terrible that you might find another four wheeling surfer on the same beach that one weekend you are there?

I only wonder why it was okay for you to learn about the place but nobody else? Seriously, worry about road graders and highway builders and not Internet photo posts. The border will always be the biggest filter and the bad roads the final filter. If they get past those two hurdles, offer them a beer if they show up on "your" beach, you just may become good friends!
:light::biggrin:;)

JZ - 5-5-2018 at 03:48 PM

We rode the entire length of the Seven Sisters last March and didn't see a single Gringo.

Ppl itt saying Baja is gone are out of their minds. Stop exaggerating the past.

TMW - 5-5-2018 at 04:03 PM

Since 1987 I've ridden MCs and driven 4x4s along that section many many times and I have never seen anyone surfing that I can remember. However I was not really looking for any surfers.

mtgoat666 - 5-5-2018 at 04:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
We rode the entire length of the Seven Sisters last March and didn't see a single Gringo.

Things have changed.
Dweebs posting stupid drone videos of their vacation are part of the change.

bajabuddha - 5-5-2018 at 04:18 PM

Would say, "can't wait for you to grow up".... but I don't have enough time i'm afraid.

JZ - 5-5-2018 at 04:55 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabuddha  

[/rquote]

Would say, "can't wait for you to grow up".... but I don't have enough time i'm afraid.

Grow young. It will help your soul and you'll be less cranky and won't fart as often.

[Edited on 5-5-2018 by JZ]

willardguy - 5-5-2018 at 06:44 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
:lol: nomad trituradora's

lol...perfect waves, amazing athletes, boring contest! every ride scored a 10!
now put together a contest with nomads only...now you have something! dust off the Ole's and Wardy's up in the garage rafters, put on the farmer john and show these youngsters how its done!;)

Paco Facullo - 5-5-2018 at 07:56 PM

When your young your mind is broad and your hips are narrow,

When most people get old, it reverses.....

JZ, outstanding photo. !

Goat , one great reply !:bounce:

MMc - 5-5-2018 at 09:06 PM

This isn't about a specific place. Your empty place that you ride in August, will be a full of campers in the winter. Go to another point in the summer and everybody is waiting for the south, empty in the winter.
20 years ago there were single tracks from TJ to Ensenada, how many now?

Fishing Ensenada to Castro's was great, now what is it? Is it like it was?

Going to PT. Canoas was a trip most wouldn't take, the road was F'ed, now not so much.
Every time a truck or car drives a double tract it gets better, pretty soon it is a road. Some will NEXER GET THAT...

I get it BAJA IS CHANGING, some of us wish it would slow down. I also wish that those don't have any skin in the game would not promote places they don't know, they just drove past.

Like I said before "if Beggars could ride."

MMc - 5-5-2018 at 09:10 PM

Goat. I believe that you are a self indulging, ileitis, that believes that others care or give a hoot about what you think. I hope you a nice day:)

JZ - 5-5-2018 at 09:43 PM

This isn't about a specific place. Your empty place that you ride in August, will be a full of campers in the winter. Go to another point in the summer and everybody is waiting for the south, empty in the winter.

Going to PT. Canoas was a trip most wouldn't take, the road was F'ed, now not so much.
Every time a truck or car drives a double tract it gets better, pretty soon it is a road. Some will NEXER GET THAT...

I get it BAJA IS CHANGING, some of us wish it would slow down. I also wish that those don't have any skin in the game would not promote places they don't know, they just drove past.

I'm sorry you weren't the last one to find Baja.

50 years from now there will still be plenty to explore.

motoged - 5-5-2018 at 10:30 PM

JZ,
Buy some real riding gear....:biggrin:

Alm - 5-6-2018 at 10:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Seriously, worry about road graders and highway builders and not Internet photo posts. The border will always be the biggest filter and the bad roads the final filter.

You're right. Distance and poor roads is what is still keeping crowds off, in some places. Internet photos still "help" changing the environment. You can't stop developers and road-builders, but photo posting is something that is entirely up to you.

MMc - 5-6-2018 at 10:38 PM

There will be less to explore in 50 years than there is now. Those that ride/drive see the macro. Those that post up for a week or 4, see the micro. I can't stop the change, I only hope to make some aware of what they post makes a difference to others. I wasn't the first, but I loved my discovery of a place. Like I started with, some get it, some don't. Posting a video of you being cool inspires other to do the same. I'm sure it's good for one's ego, not so much for the pristine spot. " Why should I care I'm just blowing by it."
I am very aware that I an tilting at giants.

I'm sorry you weren't the last one to find Baja.

50 years from now there will still be plenty to explore.

[Edited on 5-7-2018 by MMc]