BajaNomad

Found another new gem...Rancho Escondido

shari - 5-3-2018 at 10:43 AM

After living in central Baja for nearly 30 years, it always amazes me how many still undiscovered(by me) place we are brought to by amigos.

Leopoldo(of whale guide fame) & his wife Marta took us to meet Don Oscar at Rancho Escondido which lies 2 hours off the main highway to El Arco...or 15 minutes from El Baril on the other side of the peninsula. Pretty knarly washboard so definitely AIR DOWN folks...but beautiful scenery. Every time we take this road we see off roaders and lots of motos so it is a popular route.

Don Oscar had a dream and he is slowly turning it into a reality. Like us, he is off the beaten path so struggles to attract guests. I am sure if more people knew about it they would visit.

Here is a short video of our weekend getaway to this awesome ranch!

Our timing was perfect as they had just begun to make machaca & beef jerky as we arrived so we got to learn & participate in the laborious process.

Don Oscar graciously showed us 4 different cave painting sites within minutes of the ranch....super cool!

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by shari]

BajaBlanca - 5-3-2018 at 10:49 AM

That is so wonderful. I definitely want to go!

shari - 5-3-2018 at 10:53 AM

it's a cool thing to do with your guests Blanca when the weather sucks!

TMW - 5-3-2018 at 11:54 AM

I think it had been closed for a couple of years except for a couple that was watching over it. Glad it is open again. I think it was closed when David K was there last year.

Paco Facullo - 5-3-2018 at 12:12 PM

WOW , what a place and what an outstanding write up w/ video you did Sheri !

Now it would be real nice if David provided us less familiar with the roads down that a way with one of his most excellent maps ...

Thank for posting this Sheri......

David K - 5-3-2018 at 01:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
WOW , what a place and what an outstanding write up w/ video you did Sheri !

Now it would be real nice if David provided us less familiar with the roads down that a way with one of his most excellent maps ...

Thank for posting this Sheri......

Sadly, the ranch was closed-up on my visits there twice in 2017 (January and June) and in need of repairs. The sign out by the main road to San Francisquito/El Arco was faded, and the entrance rope sign above the locked gate was also well weathered.

I hope they re-opened!

January 2017:

In June 2017:

Sign, 1 mile from Rancho Escondido.

Roads are excellent from Hwy. 1 to San Francisquito and El Barril.

My desert camp near Rancho La Ilusión the night before visiting Rancho Escondido again.

These trips to Rancho Escondido were reported in my Trip #1 and Trip #5 reports here on Nomad.

TMW - 5-3-2018 at 01:32 PM

Paco, David posted a map of the area in the above post on Mission Santa Gertrudis.

David K - 5-3-2018 at 01:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
Paco, David posted a map of the area in the above post on Mission Santa Gertrudis.

Thanks Tom.
I also posted the same map in this thread, above.

All my 2018 Baja Travel Maps are here on Nomad in the Road Conditions forum, fyi... HERE: http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=88771

shari - 5-3-2018 at 01:55 PM

In your report David I would beg to differ that the road was excellent...the road was nasty washboard the first half hour to El Arco...but you can take the side road which is slower but not as bumpy. You really do need to air down.

Don Oscar has been working hard to fix up the ranch but of course it is still "rustic"....its a remote ranch dudes.

BajaBlanca - 5-3-2018 at 02:06 PM

The sign with the boots hanging is classic!

TMW - 5-3-2018 at 02:07 PM

In Jan. of 2015 our group stopped and had lunch there. In Jan. of 2016 John M stayed the night while the Squarecircle (Roy) and I did some exploring past El Barril. He stayed in one of the cabins. Shortly after that they closed up until recently. It looks like a really neat place to spend some time at and explore the local area.

David K - 5-3-2018 at 02:23 PM

Quote: Originally posted by shari  
In your report David I would beg to differ that the road was excellent...the road was nasty washboard the first half hour to El Arco...but you can take the side road which is slower but not as bumpy. You really do need to air down.

Don Oscar has been working hard to fix up the ranch but of course it is still "rustic"....its a remote ranch dudes.

How quickly things change, eh?
Maybe my Bilstein 5100s and tires at 24 psi helped?

Here are my road photos from last year Hwy. 1 to El Arco to Rancho Escondido area...

June 2017:

January 2017:

tiotomasbcs - 5-3-2018 at 05:02 PM

Great followup, Shari and DK. Your campsite shows that all you need is a little open area on a flat spot! Thanks. How hot was it Shari? And David, I believe you were there in June? I'm trying to gauge a ground assault before the Summer heat becomes oppresive! And then a visit to BA, of course. Tio

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by tiotomasbcs]

fishbuck - 5-3-2018 at 05:24 PM

I humblely request that all future reports include the name of the nearest open runway.
That way I can calculate the flying time from Brown Field in San Diego and plan a trip.
Who wants to go?

David K - 5-3-2018 at 05:47 PM

Mike: El Barril has an excellent runway, you could land a twin on!

Tom: I love the heat and hate cold! June was ideal, warm days and nights... and I do have AC in the Tacoma so it is comfy and dust free.

The really hot month is August and some of September, with the humidity... along the gulf side only. I did fine, but in La Paz, in August, I was a guest in Harald's air-conditioned guest room so those nights were nice.

shari - 5-3-2018 at 06:16 PM

I am not good at heat and it was at my heat threshold mid day...I had to go and jump in the ocean at El Barril 15 minutes down the road...but it got nice in the evening so I wouldn't be able to go there any later than May myself.

Be cool to bring down some whale fanatics Fishbuck then zip over to El Baril for a ranch visit.

fishbuck - 5-3-2018 at 06:36 PM

Shari, you're a Pacific sider like me. We need that fresh cool ocean beeeze... or we wilt.
But I can 't get hot enough...
We'll there was that one time in San Filepe... it was soo hot... and the drinks were soo cold... and I had a jeep with no top... and the girls... well you know the rest...;)

fishbuck - 5-3-2018 at 06:42 PM

I'm on this El Baril... I think I have flown over it several times.
Fly in, Stay at the ranch, Fish at El Baril.
Classic old Baja right there folks.
Yellowtail off the beach if I'm thinking of the right spot.

advrider - 5-3-2018 at 06:48 PM

So cool, we miss staying in SF so this just might fill the gap! It's nice to stay in BOLA but this is a nice option on the Moto's to add a stop in the middle! Did I miss the contact info, I'm guessing they would like to know you are coming? Thanks for posting and thanks David for the map recon! I see the contact info in the video...

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by advrider]

fishbuck - 5-3-2018 at 07:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
So cool, we miss staying in SF so this just might fill the gap! It's nice to stay in BOLA but this is a nice option on the Moto's to add a stop in the middle! Did I miss the contact info, I'm guessing they would like to know you are coming? Thanks for posting and thanks David for the map recon! I see the contact info in the video...

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by advrider]

I need to get together with you. Since I am flying again I guess my motocross career is over. Again:D
I have a brand new set of SG12 boots an Shoei helmet in my storage. Guess I better see if I can learn how to desert ride.:coolup:

advrider - 5-3-2018 at 07:27 PM

You fly me around and I'll show you some desert or dessert stuff, depending what you are into! LOL. I was a woods ride until my first trip to Baja.

fishbuck - 5-3-2018 at 08:07 PM

I grew up in rural Massachusetts.
The old indian trails are still there... and perfect for a teenage boy and his trusty Honda😎
And then we discovered motocross... and girls

fishbuck - 5-3-2018 at 08:10 PM

I think I can fit 2 dirt bike in my plane. It has a cargo door.
Some diassembly may be required.

shari - 5-4-2018 at 07:28 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
So cool, we miss staying in SF so this just might fill the gap! It's nice to stay in BOLA but this is a nice option on the Moto's to add a stop in the middle!

It's nice to know there is an oasis to stop at even if for just a quick drink & some jerky and visit to see the place....good option in case of problems or just a new place to crash....I mean bed down for the night.

The thing is to support these remote ranches as they surely struggle to survive....and it does your soul good just to BE in a beautiful place like this.

wilderone - 5-4-2018 at 07:39 AM

Shari - A nice little add-on tour with whale watching. (Transportation with overnighter). I'd go. Love the old Californio rancho lifestyle.

shari - 5-4-2018 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
Shari - A nice little add-on tour with whale watching. (Transportation with overnighter). I'd go. Love the old Californio rancho lifestyle.

I am really stoked about showing my guests these remote areas and my associate Zihul is an incredible guide!

We are focusing more on extended trips in 2019 that of course features playing with whales, but also will offer more natural history, birding, botany and cultural experiences. This area is so rich in all of these areas.

So the 5 & 7 day trips will include visiting ranches to see the cave paintings in the area, diverse cactus forests as well as learn about ranch life, food production etc.

If people are drawn here by whales, they may as well see what else the area has to offer. We are working on the transportation end of it and looking for a stout van/small bus to bring folks here.

John Harper - 5-4-2018 at 09:16 AM

Mmmmm. Beef jerky.

John

tiotomasbcs - 5-4-2018 at 11:53 AM

Thanks, Amigos. Adventures await those who seek them. :cool: Tio

Udo - 5-4-2018 at 01:28 PM

Thanks for the tour Shari...makes me wanderlust for the place!

carlosg - 5-14-2018 at 04:16 PM

Thanks Shari, for your report.

Here is the CONCTACT Rancho Escondido INFO:

Phone: 6151135313
Whatsapp al: 6151616885

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ranchoescondidobc/

[Edited on 6-4-2018 by carlosg]

Gscott - 6-3-2018 at 04:32 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  
I humblely request that all future reports include the name of the nearest open runway.
That way I can calculate the flying time from Brown Field in San Diego and plan a trip.
Who wants to go?

Wait a sec. I thought we need to stop posting pictures of neat places with maps and recognizable landmarks. Next thing you know the riffraff will show up and ruin it for all of us!

We need to keep all this stuff secret. Just for us. No sharing.

[Edited on 6-3-2018 by Gscott]

shari - 6-3-2018 at 06:36 PM

[/rquote]
It was really disappointing to find them closed/deserted two different times I went there in 2017 (January and June). I hope the best for them![/rquote]

They told me they go to town once a month for a long weekend to visit and get supplies but they will be open with someone there..... usually.
No worries....if they happen to be closed, Rancho Piedra Blanca is only a few minutes down the road and they even have a beer store!

gallesram - 6-3-2018 at 06:51 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ranchoescondidobcs/

I wonder if they don't know they are not in 'bcs'?
It was really disappointing to find them closed/deserted two different times I went there in 2017 (January and June). I hope the best for them!

I think that they know; if you try the link without the "s" at the end ("bc" instead of "bcs") it works. Probably just a typo.

TMW - 6-4-2018 at 04:15 PM

Quote: Originally posted by fishbuck  

And then we discovered motocross... and girls

That was your downfall. Leave the girls alone.

David K - 6-4-2018 at 04:36 PM

Sure enough, the bcs link is no good... bc it is!

carlosg - 6-4-2018 at 04:43 PM

Quote: Originally posted by gallesram  
Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Quote: Originally posted by carlosg  

Facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/ranchoescondidobc/

I wonder if they don't know they are not in 'bcs'?
It was really disappointing to find them closed/deserted two different times I went there in 2017 (January and June). I hope the best for them!

I think that they know; if you try the link without the "s" at the end ("bc" instead of "bcs") it works. Probably just a typo.

Thanks for the observation, indeed it should be "bc" NOT "bcs"

I think they noticed the "bcs" mistake and corrected the FB info, I also corrected my post.... Muchas gracias....

David K - 6-4-2018 at 05:48 PM

Yes, I recall going to your link Carlos, and it used to work! I guess they saw my comment about them not being in BCS??? LOL

kevin_in_idaho - 6-5-2018 at 04:29 AM

That place looks awesome. I hope they can make a go of it!

shari - 6-5-2018 at 09:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by kevin_in_idaho  
That place looks awesome. I hope they can make a go of it!

they are really working hard on it and have grand plans...the pool would be neat! Don Oscars daughters study alternative tourism & there is an emerging new market I call rustic tourism. The girls are on public media and promoting the ranch which is great!

But they can only make a go of it if some people visit and support it which is why I hope that sharing the photos and report will bring them more visitors.

There are so many hidden gems in Baja!

David K - 6-5-2018 at 10:28 AM

Thank you Shari... These kind of places are great for Baja.

Baja_Bandito - 3-24-2019 at 07:37 PM

Just joined and never saw this thread till now. Me and my buddies just stumbled upon Oscar’s paradise this past Monday while riding out bikes from BOLA.. Such a great person Oscar is...along with his wonderful and warm family. He toured us all around his ranch, we helped load up and move his two new outhouses, ate at his family table for dinner, saw his charcoal process, ate fresh cheese, and had excellent coffee with fresh frothed cow milk in the morning.. He even played the guitar and sang for us later. Just wonderful people.

Cheers,

BajaBlanca - 3-24-2019 at 10:04 PM

and our friends just went there and saw the motocyclists! I saw of picrure of Oscar playing the guitar and singing just an hour ago.

What a small world.

David K - 3-24-2019 at 10:37 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Baja_Bandito  
Just joined and never saw this thread till now. Me and my buddies just stumbled upon Oscar’s paradise this past Monday while riding out bikes from BOLA.. Such a great person Oscar is...along with his wonderful and warm family. He toured us all around his ranch, we helped load up and move his two new outhouses, ate at his family table for dinner, saw his charcoal process, ate fresh cheese, and had excellent coffee with fresh frothed cow milk in the morning.. He even played the guitar and sang for us later. Just wonderful people.

Cheers,

Welcome to Nomad!!!
The search feature is helpful and you can see all new Baja Nomad posts from all the Baja forums on one page by clicking on "Today's Posts" at the top of the page. That way you don't need to click the many separate forums to see if anything new has happened.

Looking forward to your Trip Report... and once you have a few posts under your belt, add photos... but that is a bit tricky here. I will help guide you through that, if needed.