BajaNomad

Garmin inReach Mini

TMW - 5-3-2018 at 02:34 PM

I got an email from Garmin about their new inReach Mini.

Palm-sized Global Connectivity

Our new inReach® Mini is a compact, easy-to-use two-way text messaging device for those who want to keep in touch from places where cellphones or VHF radios can’t reach. Get peace of mind with our smallest, lightest portable satellite communicator yet.

Communicate Globally

Iridium® global satellite network lets you send and receive text messages, track and share your journey and, if necessary, trigger an interactive SOS alert to our 24/7 monitoring center (subscription required).

Pairs with Other Devices

For even more capability, inReach Mini can sync with compatible Garmin devices — as well as compatible Apple® or Android™ mobile devices using the Earthmate® app — for access to TOPO maps, aerial imagery, U.S. NOAA charts and more.

Share Your Whereabouts

The Earthmate app lets you share your whereabouts with friends and family. They can follow your trip on the MapShare™ page created for your inReach account, or you can link via Facebook® or Twitter®.

David K - 5-3-2018 at 02:41 PM

Very cool... as you know (since I texted to you using it when I was down south), the inReach is a terrific device that allows you to 'two-way' communicate with email or phone text as well as allows your friends to see your location as you travel... and pairing with your smartphone gives you a moving GPS map to use as you drive or hike. The inReach is not that big, I wonder how small the mini is?

TMW - 5-3-2018 at 02:45 PM

It is 2 inches wide by 4 inches tall and weighs 4.23 oz. About the size of a spot.

[Edited on 5-3-2018 by TMW]

David K - 5-3-2018 at 02:52 PM

I just checked my email, and I got the Garmin Mini notification too.

JZ - 5-3-2018 at 03:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
V.. and pairing with your smartphone gives you a moving GPS map to use as you drive or hike.

You don't need to pair it with your phone to get mapping. Phone has it's own GPS and maps.

If you could use your phone as a keyboard to type messages that would be a different story.

[Edited on 5-3-2018 by JZ]

JZ - 5-3-2018 at 03:14 PM

This thing does look bad ass. How much is the subscription?

https://youtu.be/3zNHgNLCpQ4

HeyMulegeScott - 5-3-2018 at 04:05 PM

This is really cool. Very detailed review here - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/garmin-inreach-mini-sate...

[Edited on 5-4-2018 by Three2tango]

JZ - 5-3-2018 at 04:10 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Three2tango  
This really cool. Very detailed review here - https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2018/05/garmin-inreach-mini-sate...

This is great:

"Can use paired phone app (without cellular service) to send complex messages/details"

PaulW - 5-3-2018 at 06:36 PM

Did any of you see the Garmin disclaimer?

NOTICE: Some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit the use of satellite communications devices. It is the responsibility of the user to know and follow all applicable laws in the jurisdictions where the device is intended to be used.

I wonder who does this and how it could possilbly be enforced?

PaulW - 5-3-2018 at 06:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

This is great:

"Can use paired phone app (without cellular service) to send complex messages/details"

===
All Inreach: No cell connection required - bluetooth
Character & message limit still applies. Disadvantage is you have to carry an extra device like your phone and I never do that so I usually just use the canned messages.
The message always has coordinates, so no need to send that data. And the person receiving the message can see your map plot if you message them at the start or any time you message.

BTW, the best part of the mini is the 10 message/month plan to save money. My 40/m message costs 25+/m. I hope the add that plan to the Explorer.

advrider - 5-3-2018 at 07:11 PM

That looks cool...

HeyMulegeScott - 5-4-2018 at 07:21 AM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Did any of you see the Garmin disclaimer?

NOTICE: Some jurisdictions regulate or prohibit the use of satellite communications devices. It is the responsibility of the user to know and follow all applicable laws in the jurisdictions where the device is intended to be used.

I wonder who does this and how it could possilbly be enforced?

You wouldn't want to take one to North Korea or Iran because if they found it you could be accused of spying.

mtgoat666 - 5-4-2018 at 07:33 AM

This thing does look bad ass. How much is the subscription?

https://youtu.be/3zNHgNLCpQ4

I dont recommed the garmin watches. I had 2, both died w/in 6 months. I bought thru rei, and they replaced after both failures. After 2nd failure, i gave up on garmin. Wife’s garmin watch lasted 1.5 years before rechargeable battery died, a PITA

I have given up on nerd watches,... too fragile, flaky, expensive, and doubtful the tech will last more than a year or 3. A watch should last at least a decade....

JZ - 5-4-2018 at 08:16 AM

Yeah, I wasn't thinking about the watch. And I wouldn't want it for the GPS capabilities. GPS and mapping are best on a phone with a big screen, not a stand alone GPS. It's the 2-way communication that is cool.

We tried to ride the Pioneer Mine route last month and my kid was having too tough a time and then one of the bikes started acting up. We had sent the truck around to meet us at Coco's. We ended up having to turn around and go back, and were about 2hrs late meeting up. My friend was freaking out. Too many chances to get lost in Baja.

pacificobob - 5-5-2018 at 10:52 AM

anybody have/use one of these. what do they lack that the newer versions feature?
DeLorme AG-008727-201 InReach Explorer Two Way Satellite Communicator with Built in Navigation

David K - 5-5-2018 at 11:27 AM

From what I read (glanced), it is the same, only smaller... a mini-me of the standard inReach.
Some of the inReach services I used last year while researching for the Baja Bound map and road guide:
GPS LOCATION
TRACKING
2-WAY TEXT to phones and EMAIL
MAPPING
WEATHER

Alm - 5-5-2018 at 12:49 PM

This is great:

Phone is basically used as a keyboard, to type characters. You still won't get a voice without a cell coverage or a satellite phone.

About Garmin watches - for some reason they are not as durable as bigger Garmin devices. Blame Chinese circuitry. Though it is not likely that underlying technology will die in a few years. All they use is GPS connection to measure distance and speed. My smartphone can do the same through the same GPS satellites where there is no cell coverage.

[Edited on 5-5-2018 by Alm]

PaulW - 5-6-2018 at 05:48 AM

One thing to note about Inreach messaging:
If you are out there and want to contact with a message to your chase vehicle, you cannot reach them unless the chase vehicle has cellular or Internet capability. This can be a significant issue in Baja because the chase vehicle might need be close to where it is needed, but far away from a connection.
An example would be a rider/driver traveling the Pioneer road needing help, and the chase rig hanging out at Gonzaga or Rancho Grande where they might have a wifi Internet connection. Then its a long drive and no further communication until the two parties meet up. A radio would help when the distance gets less. Not not many bikes have a high power radio like we do in our trucks or Jeeps. A typical solution for the Pioneer road would be a fixed station near/at the summit with a chase truck with a tall antenna and a biker with one of the new 12 watt handhelds.
Closer to town like the mini summit trip we had radio contact to others listening at home in Eldorado, thus none of us even tried to use our Inreach messaging. In that special case we had line of sight to Eldorado.

JZ - 5-6-2018 at 09:56 AM

If you are out there and want to contact with a message to your chase vehicle, you cannot reach them unless the chase vehicle has cellular or Internet capability. This can be a significant issue in Baja because the chase vehicle might need be close to where it is needed, but far away from a connection.
An example would be a rider/driver traveling the Pioneer road needing help, and the chase rig hanging out at Gonzaga or Rancho Grande where they might have a wifi Internet connection. Then its a long drive and no further communication until the two parties meet up. A radio would help when the distance gets less. Not not many bikes have a high power radio like we do in our trucks or Jeeps. A typical solution for the Pioneer road would be a fixed station near/at the summit with a chase truck with a tall antenna and a biker with one of the new 12 watt handhelds.
Closer to town like the mini summit trip we had radio contact to others listening at home in Eldorado, thus none of us even tried to use our Inreach messaging. In that special case we had line of sight to Eldorado.

What am I missing here. You just need two of them. That's what I was planning on.

Or are you telling me for some reason you can't message between the two.

JZ - 5-6-2018 at 09:59 AM

It is possible:

"Sending Messages Between inReach Devices (inReach to inReach Messaging)
Lu Parente 2017-03-10 0 Comments in How-To

Using inReach to inReach Messaging

Every inReach user account is assigned a unique inReach address for inReach-to-inReach messaging. If you have an inReach device you can send a message from your inReach to another inReach by using the inReach address for the recipient. An example inReach address is username@inreach.garmin.com.

The inReach address will only work for inReach-to-inReach communication, e-mails sent to the inReach address will not be delivered.

Please note, this address is only used for inReach to inReach messaging.

Your inReach address can be found by navigating to your inreach.garmin.com account or by checking on your device.

To locate your inReach address using inreach.garmin.com:

1. Obtain the inReach address for the inReach user to be messaged. To find the inReach address for an inReach account, follow the steps below.

1. Log in to the inReach account at inreach.garmin.com

2. Select the Account tab.

3. The inReach address can be found in the My Info section in the left hand column."

https://support-inreach.roadpost.ca/kb/articles/sending-mess...

[Edited on 5-6-2018 by JZ]

Alm - 5-6-2018 at 11:08 AM

If you are out there and want to contact with a message to your chase vehicle, you cannot reach them unless the chase vehicle has cellular or Internet capability.

Don't know if chasing is the most common use of these devices, but those traveling in separate vehicles normally carry one device per vehicle. Be it canned messaging gizmo or an old-fashioned radio.

Alternatively, Inreach can be used to communicate with the "base" that has internet connection.

David K - 5-6-2018 at 12:19 PM

It is for communicating via satellite to cell phones and Internet-connected computers where those two exist (like back home while you are in Baja.

Also, it can communicate with OTHER inReach satellite devices, via satellite.

Obviously, you can't communicate from in inReach to a cell phone that does not have cell service or to a computer that doesn't have Internet. It is not magic.

JZ - 5-6-2018 at 12:53 PM

Old video, but shows how to message from the phone (text, FB, or Twitter) when paired.

https://youtu.be/FXIGK8Rcmco

basautter - 5-6-2018 at 06:49 PM

Interesting choices. I like the Garmin InReach Explorer, but would like a bigger screen when rattling down trails on my dirt bike. :light:

JZ - 5-6-2018 at 06:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Interesting choices. I like the Garmin InReach Explorer, but would like a bigger screen when rattling down trails on my dirt bike. :light:

I wouldn't use it for that.

Back Country Navigator on a big Samsung S9+ is the ta taas. 3-4x the screen size and 10x easier to use.

This thing's value is its SOS and 2-way communications.

PaulW - 5-7-2018 at 06:14 AM

Very good. Thanks for looking up that feature.

HeyMulegeScott - 5-7-2018 at 04:15 PM

This one looks interesting also. A fully funded Kickstarter project - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/124657937/somewear-limi...