BajaNomad

Question About the Rosarito-Ensenada Bicycle Race Last Saturday

GypsyJan - 5-7-2018 at 08:45 PM

Is this race getting to be a big deal? I know that the entrants list was over 7,000.

On Friday, we saw a several helicopters flying south and then on Saturday, they flew back north.

[Edited on 5-8-2018 by GypsyJan]

mtgoat666 - 5-7-2018 at 09:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  
Is this race getting to be a big deal? I know that the entrants list was over 7,000,

On Friday, we saw a several helicopters flying south and then on Saturday, they flow back north.

It’s always been a big deal. I think lately it as had significant increase in participation by mexicans.

sancho - 5-8-2018 at 10:26 AM

Back in day, 25yrs. ago, there was 1 ride a yr., 13,000 riders,
then they had 2 a yr. I believe the toll road slide, bad pub
put a bit of a damper on it, seems to making a comeback

carlosg - 5-8-2018 at 11:17 AM

Quote: Originally posted by GypsyJan  
Is this race getting to be a big deal? I know that the entrants list was over 7,000.

On Friday, we saw a several helicopters flying south and then on Saturday, they flew back north.

[Edited on 5-8-2018 by GypsyJan]

This race started in Tecate back in the late 70's, it was a great event for the community and the local economy, it was so good that it ended up in Rosarito just as the "Tecate En Marcha" Regional Fair was taken away in the late 60's first to Tijuana and then to Ensenada, then in the early 80's the Fair was reestablished by some local entrepreneurs to what it is today.

I remember riders went on this 72 mile ride (NOT a race) not only on bikes but some went to extremes like riding a high wheel "penny-farthing" bike, some on skates another wearing a huge bull head recalling the Tecate Bull Run: the "Pamplonada".

There was pit stops along the way for riders to re-hydrate, have fruit or medical assistance and the choppers from San Diego channels 10 and 39 flew along the way recording and assisting the ride.

As riders arrived to the Finish Line in Ensenada to "Plaza de las Tres Cabezas" there was a huge party, "Husongs" was packed and we all had a blast.... much, much cerveza was enjoyed this day.

Tecate to Ensenda Bike Ride 1979:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bu-0KdlVYLk

73-Mile Bike Race in Baja Tests the Will:
http://articles.latimes.com/1986-05-29/news/vw-7814_1_miles-...

[Edited on 5-8-2018 by carlosg]