BajaNomad

Pancho at Bahia San Rafael

BajaNomad - 5-10-2018 at 12:53 PM

From my email inbox just now:

--------------
Subject: Pancho (Roadrunner) San Rafael

To whom this may concern,

I am reaching out because today we lost one of the most unique persons in baja, Pancho (Corre Caminos) from Bahia San Rafael. Pancho was like family to me and being that he had no relatives I know there were a lot of people like me that embraced his kindness and generosity...may he rest in peace....I am hoping that you can post this in your blog

Thank you

Dora Tiznado
--------------

[Edited on 5-10-2018 by BajaNomad]

AKgringo - 5-10-2018 at 12:58 PM

Damn....I was just there at the end of March, and he seemed in good health! I have stayed with him several times, and was planning on doing so again in the fall.

Anyone have info on the cause of death? I liked him, he will be missed!

Bajaboy - 5-10-2018 at 01:10 PM

Man, I first met Pancho 20+ years or so ago. He definitely was a friend to me and my family. Adios amigo!

[Edited on 5-10-2018 by Bajaboy]

TMW - 5-10-2018 at 01:35 PM

So sad, may he rest in peace. God speed.

willardguy - 5-10-2018 at 02:10 PM

:(

Tioloco - 5-10-2018 at 03:28 PM

That is very disappointing... DEP Pancho. Planned on a trip out to see him 2 weeks ago and never ran out there. Always such a nice and helpful guy. And his block of cheese wrapped in cloth he liked to share... Life is too short.

JZ - 5-10-2018 at 04:01 PM

Got dammit!

My son, friend, and Pancho in January.

[Edited on 5-10-2018 by JZ]

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by BajaNomad]

shari - 5-10-2018 at 04:01 PM

DEP Pancho...hope your passage to the other side was quick... and my condolences to his friends & family who will miss him dearly. Another Baja legend over there....

KurtG - 5-10-2018 at 04:17 PM

So sorry to learn of his passing. I had a nice visit with him a few weeks ago, he was in his usual good spirits and seemed well.

David K - 5-10-2018 at 05:00 PM

Darn darn... he was so awesome and lived on the edge, happily!

I think I first visited with Pancho in 2002 (Bajaboy Zac had written so fondly of him a year previously on Amigos de Baja)...

Pancho and I, in the center.

Later, (New Years 2003), my two kids and I stopped to visit with him after we did a lost mission search southwest of his place. He was so kind and made us dinner, even catering to my daughter who hates fish, cooking her chicken from his freezer.

My last two visits were in September 2016 with my Baja Extreme tour and everyone loved Pancho, gave him top ratings!

My last visit was January 2017.
So sorry he is gone!

[Edited on 9-6-2022 by David K]

Santiago - 5-10-2018 at 05:07 PM

Years ago I stopped in and gave him some red wine (hints from Zac). He freaked but then said he had no way to open it. I gave him a cork screw and he gave me a cool bottle opener which I still keep in my desk at work.

elgatoloco - 5-10-2018 at 05:19 PM

RIP Pancho

He was one of a kind and always had a smile on. He was fun company around a campfire.

JZ - 5-10-2018 at 06:29 PM

We spent about 5 weeks in Baja in Nov/Dec. I asked my 16 yo kid when we went back what was the best part of the trips. He said the day we rode out from BoLA and camped on the beach and hung out with Pancho was the best.

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by JZ]

advrider - 5-10-2018 at 06:57 PM

Sure will miss him, hope someone will keep the place a live. I never missed a chance to stop in and say hi, he embodied what Baja is to me. I hope he can be buried close to the place he loved so much, or spread his ashes??? If money is needed to do so, I am in!

bajadogs - 5-10-2018 at 07:30 PM

Dang! What a drag. He was so great to hang out with all these years. He was generous to me. This hurts. He was legendary for sure. Dang it!

Paulina - 5-10-2018 at 09:45 PM

I'm sorry to read this. I hope he passed quickly. He always insisted I take a gift when we parted. My favorite was a brick that he had found along the shore. It had been in the sea for so long that it looked like a thin, red bar of soap. I keep it in my purse, one of my lucky objects. My lucky brick just became invaluable.
Rest In Peace, Pancho.

P>*)))>{

ElCap - 5-10-2018 at 09:46 PM

I enjoyed many stops at 'Rancho de Pancho' over the years. Although he was quite the character, I always admired his independence out in such a remote spot. In some weird way I envied what he had, even though he had so little.
I also heard many hilarious stories about him from Beto in San Francisquito - evidently Pancho came over from the mainland years ago and told Beto he was a fisherman, so Beto gave him a job on a boat. After a bit it was clear he was not a fisherman so Beto made him camp cook. Then everyone got sick from the food he cooked so he got the boot, and he made his way up to San Rafael where he found his home. I don't think he actually owned that land - maybe someone else here knows the rest of the story?
RIP mi amigo.

sherdoggie - 5-10-2018 at 09:55 PM

So sad. He was truly a gentleman. Met him several years ago when I visited him with my fishing buddy. Tried to describe the beauty of his place to my wife. Finally got her to BOLA and made a special trip to see him. He was so gracious, gave her gifts before leaving. She still talks about him and his magnificent place. DEP Amigo.

David K - 5-11-2018 at 06:39 AM

Great stories, please keep them coming!
If you are not a registered Nomad but want to share a Pancho story, please email it to me, subject line: Pancho
Mail to: info-AT-vivabaja.com (replace -AT- with @)

AKgringo - 5-11-2018 at 07:17 AM

About five or six years ago, Pancho told me that he came over from Guymas on a fishing boat, and stayed to watch the camp and gear. He then decided that he would rather stay there than go back to the mainland when the boat was done fishing there.

I don't know if his time at Beto's camp was before, or after he first settled at San Rafael. Time, and my marginal language skills probably affect this narrative of his story.

I mentioned that I was returning to La Paz to finish some dental work. He said a few disparaging words about dentists, then showed me a box containing all of the teeth he had pulled (and saved) during his years on the bay!

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by AKgringo]

JZ - 5-11-2018 at 08:56 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  
About five or six years ago, Pancho told me that he came over from Guymas on a fishing boat...

The guys I go to Baja with are all from Guaymas. They use to talk to him about it.

chippy - 5-11-2018 at 10:40 AM

Great guy, great spot and a bad photo:no:
We will miss him.

[Edited on 5-11-2018 by chippy]

Alm - 5-11-2018 at 01:09 PM

I was just there at the end of March, and he seemed in good health!

I guess, the flip-side of living away from everything. Remember Antonio of Archelon, or Marcos of the same camp? 3 very colorful "landmarks" of this area, in as many years. Sad. Can't imagine anybody else in his place.

sherdoggie - 5-11-2018 at 08:15 PM

I caught a pufferfish while fishing for halibut along his beach. I was going to throw it back, but Pancho said he would take it, that he knew how to extract the fillets without getting the poison. He came back to me a bit later with the fried pufferfish and offered me some. I hope I didn't offend, him, but I declined. Great guy. Anyone know what became of his dog?

From Jerry, sent via email:

David K - 5-12-2018 at 07:53 AM

Thanks, David...for letting me share this meeting with Pancho... Leaving LA Bay for San Francisquito, I must have picked up a nail and found myself with a flat near the turnoff to Animas. Changing the tire I limped on to San Rafael where I knew Pancho could make the repair. Upon arrival, I was greeted by him with that big smile. Sure! He would be glad to fix that tire but...what the hell was that stink coming off the beach, Pancho? "El ciclo de la vida," he said. In the migration of the vaquita, in those days in the thousands, the school speeds up on it's way north. The old, unable to keep up, die and drift onto the beach. No doubt...with smiles on their faces. Not bad to finish in San Rafael. RIP Correcamino...Kneemodo.

David K - 5-12-2018 at 01:18 PM

I was messaged today from someone in Guerrero Negro that Pancho's body is at the funeral home there. Nobody is claiming him... I will report more as I get it. I asked if a cause of death was known.

David K - 5-12-2018 at 01:46 PM

More from Guerrero Negro:
Last Wednesday, a neighbor visited Pancho and found him in great pain (abdominal). Pancho said something about falling.
The neighbor took Pancho to the doctor in L.A. Bay, who couldn't help and said to take him to Guerrero Negro. Pancho died enroute to Guerrero Negro.

del mar - 5-12-2018 at 01:56 PM

might have got a little careless with the pufferfish:(...the neighbor was probably the other Pancho, a larger slower moving Pancho with a rancho a short distance away. RIP amigo

Paco Facullo - 5-12-2018 at 01:59 PM

Dang !

I hope I'm wrong but with the previous story of eating puffer fish fillets , I wonder ???

Anyway, truly sad news, RIP Pancho

[Edited on 5-12-2018 by Paco Facullo]

Enrique2012 - 5-12-2018 at 05:45 PM

I try to ride the length of the peninsula every year on my dirt bike, and I've found that having favorite locations along the way gives me added motivation. One of those favorite locations was Pancho's. He was always upbeat, happy to see you, and he always had a smile on his face. I camped over night with him, spent long hours sitting in the shade sipping coffee or sharing a beer, and I even walked the shoreline with him fishing for halibut in the early evening.

I know that a feeling of sadness will pass through me each time I head south and do not turn left up that hill... On to San Ignacio I will travel, but Pancho will be in my memory.

Vaya con Dios mi amigo!

Bajazly - 5-13-2018 at 12:58 PM

We arrived there last Sunday and he had sever stomach pains and Jose said he was taking him to the hospital the next day. Pancho refused and stayed in pain and the next day, Tuesday, we got Ranchero Jose on the road with him. He died on the way and never made it to the hospital. He will be sadly missed, he was a dear friend of mine and SR will never be the same for me. RIP Francisco mi Amigo.

David K - 5-13-2018 at 01:05 PM

Thanks for the added details. Was there any discussion of the cause of the pain? My Guerrero Negro contact mentioned a fall, but the pufferfish story seemed plausible.

Bajazly - 5-13-2018 at 01:26 PM

He did trip over a rock and fell, that happened after we got there. I really don't think that was a cause rather than effect of what was already going on with him. Jose who arrived a couple hours before us that day is on his way back to Mexicali right now, he stayed until today waiting for Pancho to return. I received a text from him a few hours ago when he reached Bahia. When we both get home tonight I woo talk with him more and report back. This definitely is the sadest drive home from Baja for me.

David K - 5-13-2018 at 02:12 PM

Indeed, sad news. Pancho was a special kind of good hombre.

JZ - 5-13-2018 at 03:07 PM

A couple shots from San Rafael.

chippy - 5-13-2018 at 03:15 PM

Well done JZ! You da drone master.:bounce:

Paulina - 5-13-2018 at 05:37 PM

He knew how to prepare puffer. I wonder if he didn't have a burst appendix.

P>*)))>{

Bajazly - 5-13-2018 at 06:26 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
I was messaged today from someone in Guerrero Negro that Pancho's body is at the funeral home there. Nobody is claiming him... I will report more as I get it. I asked if a cause of death was known.

When I talk to Jose tonight or tomorrow we will arrange someone to claim his body if need be, although in the text I got this morning from him, he said he had been buried in Bahia de Los Angeles already.

bajadogs - 5-13-2018 at 08:03 PM

That doesn't seem proper to bury him in Bahia de Los Angeles. He dispised the big cities like that.

bajadogs - 5-13-2018 at 08:33 PM

Big city L.A. Bay?
I will ask Antonio in Guerrero Negro if he has any news.

That is what Pancho told me about Bahia de Los Angeles. Sarcasm and a great sense of humor is one thing I remember about Pancho. I have many stories and observations. I also have a large Zip-Lock bag of Beautiful shells he gave my daughter 15 years ago that I hope to bring back to Pancho's bluff and leave in honor somehow.

[Edited on 5-14-2018 by bajadogs]

Bajazly - 5-14-2018 at 12:39 AM

So I have been talking with Jose and this is how things went. Mexicali Jose arrived Sunday about 2 PM and we got there about 3. We were greeted with the usual beer in hand hug and we talked for just a few minutes and Pancho left for his house. Jose said Pancho was not very well and we noticed that too. Estefania and I had some beers with Jose and went off to set up camp. It got dark and I thought it was strange Panchos was dark and he had not come down to see us. The next morning I talked to Jose and he was going to go over and check on Pancho which he did thru out the day, Pancho pretty much slept all day but was up and over at Joses late Monday afternoon. Again, when the sun went down, Panchos was dark. That day Jose told me Pancho had tripped over a rock and hit the ground flat on his chest. That would turn out to be pivotal.

On Tuesday morning I saw Pancho moving around but when a big group of Can Ams pulled in, he never got up out of his chair. One of them asked me if he was in a wheelchair. After their departure we talked and decided ranchero Jose would be the one to drive Pancho to GN hospital. We loaded Pancho in the truck, filled it with gas and off they went GN. Pancho died in the truck before they reached the hospital.

Apparently he had been in pain for a couple weeks but never said anything. He had a gastric ulcer from beer and beer and tequila and not eating, that burst when he hit the ground. Jose was going to stay until today waiting for Panchos return and when he got to Bahia that is when he sent me the text of what had happened.

Tomorrow they will transport Panchos body back to Bahia where he will be laid to rest. Jose and I tried to get a cremation but due to Mexican law and logistics getting him to a crematorium, time has run out and they are all ready to bury him tomorrow in Bahia.

Mexicali Jose is making plans for a memorial of some sort there at the snail bed and it sounds like rancho Jose has a handle on keeping the place safe and intact because he controls all the water out there. When Jose gets a memorial plan together I plan on going down to help him build it and will pass on any info here if anyone is interested and available to come down.

This is truly a sad time in Baja history. Pancho was 68 years old and I am proud to have had him as my friend.

David K - 5-14-2018 at 08:03 AM

Sunday night (last night) at 10:05 pm, I received this text from Antonio, the person in Guerrero Negro who has been sharing information with me for you all:

"Hi Dave, today asked and told me that somebody from Ensenada will come tomorrow (Monday) to take Pancho to be buried. Pancho is still at Guerrero Negro."

[based on a u2u I got last night, and before reading Nomad this morning, I asked Antonio if there was a Crematorium in Guerrero Negro and that there were people who would take Pancho's ashes to his beach]

[Edited on 6-25-2018 by David K]

Monday Morning Update

David K - 5-14-2018 at 08:57 AM

From Antonio, Guerrero Negro:

"Good morning Dave, the nearest crematoriums are at Ensenada and Villa Constitución, but they are very expensive. I talked to the funerary and they said that at Tijuana is less expensive. The amount is 1500 US dls the ashes taken to Bahia de los Angeles. Let me know if I can help you more. I'll be glad"

Paco Facullo - 5-14-2018 at 09:08 AM

Why the need for cremation ?

I would think a burial at Bahia San Rafael would be quite fitting.

David K - 5-14-2018 at 09:14 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Why the need for cremation ?

I would think a burial at Bahia San Rafael would be quite fitting.

I think for anyone, to transport a jar is far more doable than a body in a casket. Also, coyotes are very likely to dig up a body if it isn't super deep, right?

Paco Facullo - 5-14-2018 at 09:21 AM

Well transporting the body to either crematorium place is further than to Bahia San Rafael so me thinks that is a moot point. I could be wrong though ?

As for the coyotes,
yes a deep grave is a must. A bag of lime would help though.

John Harper - 5-14-2018 at 10:07 AM

Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I wouldn't really care if a coyote ate my bones, it's organic and biodegradable. Not much use for them after I'm gone anyway.

John

David K - 5-14-2018 at 10:10 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Paco Facullo  
Well transporting the body to either crematorium place is further than to Bahia San Rafael so me thinks that is a moot point. I could be wrong though ?

As for the coyotes,
yes a deep grave is a must. A bag of lime would help though.

I was presuming that would be done in Guerrero Negro when I said that. It sounds like it will be done today... so as I get fresh news, I will share when I can.

Paco Facullo - 5-14-2018 at 10:20 AM

The outlaw Josey Wales said .. "Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms".

Enrique2012 - 5-14-2018 at 11:24 AM

Something tells me this would be a deserving way to dispose of your carcass, but Pancho's body deserves more respect.

TMW - 5-14-2018 at 03:31 PM

The price to cremate is not much different in Baja than the US. Greenlawn here in Bakersfield charges $1600.

chippy - 5-14-2018 at 04:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The price to cremate is not much different in Baja than the US. Greenlawn here in Bakersfield charges $1600.

It should be much less. I paid 1300 usd in Encinitas Ca. 2013. I paid 365 usd in Apatzingan Mich. 2012. Maybe its the transportation fee added into it?

[Edited on 5-14-2018 by chippy]

DavidT - 5-14-2018 at 06:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Ashes to ashes, dust to dust. I wouldn't really care if a coyote ate my bones, it's organic and biodegradable. Not much use for them after I'm gone anyway.

John

Edward Abbey burial

TMW - 5-14-2018 at 07:05 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

It should be much less. I paid 1300 usd in Encinitas Ca. 2013. I paid 365 usd in Apatzingan Mich. 2012. Maybe its the transportation fee added into it?

Greenlawn quoted me $3600 for a burial in a cheap casket, that included the plot.

Udo - 5-14-2018 at 07:06 PM

When I needed to cremate my sister's ashes, I was directed to a crematorium in Chula Vista, Ca. They charged me $850.00 USD last year.

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

Bajazly - 5-14-2018 at 07:18 PM

Jose texted me this morning and said Pancho was taken to Bahia and will be buried today. That was about lunch time so I assume he is now in his final resting place.

Thank you for your help David. Mexican law on burial is very strict and time had pretty much run out for anything but placing him in a grave.

Bajazly - 5-14-2018 at 08:49 PM

IMG_6703.JPG - 220kB

IMG_6707.JPG - 133kB

IMG_6706.JPG - 115kB

Today from Jose. My heart is sad.

David K - 5-14-2018 at 09:03 PM

Vaya Con Dios Amigo Pancho

Paco Facullo - 5-14-2018 at 09:04 PM

Thank goodness some kind Hombre through a pair of shades on Pancho,

that sun was getting kinda bright ..................

Paco Facullo - 5-15-2018 at 11:34 AM

It would be nice to pick a day soon to have a sort of remembrance/send-off/get- together of Nomads and throw a "Poncho fiesta" of sorts to remember one of Baja's true legends.

There should be a BBQ, music, beer & Tequila, fire pit and dancing involved.

I know I would try my best to make it as I would love to meet some of you Nomads in person and it surely would be a great time !

Santiago - 5-15-2018 at 12:45 PM

I'm getting confused, he is buried in Bahia de los Angeles, right?

Bajaboy - 5-15-2018 at 12:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Santiago  
I'm getting confused, he is buried in Bahia de los Angeles, right?

Yes,

1962siia - 5-15-2018 at 05:25 PM

RIP Pancho! Thanks for all the info being posted here. Stopping in San Rafael will never be the same. Glad we got to chat and hang out with him in Feb this year. Condolences to all his friends.

David K - 5-15-2018 at 05:55 PM

Our friend of many years, Mike Humfreville is also buried at Bahía de los Angeles cemetery...

The photo was taken shortly after the burial, November 2006.

[Edited on 5-18-2018 by David K]

twgracing - 5-16-2018 at 11:51 AM

So sad...I was there the 10th and I believe it was Mexicali Jose said he would be back that weekend. We were sad to miss him, always one of our favorite spots to stop. RIP Legend.

Bajazly - 5-16-2018 at 09:16 PM

I've always wanted to stop at that cemetery and look around. Now I will every time I go through there just to see Pancho and have a beer with him.

I know schedules are impossible but when Jose let's me know what he has planned for some kind of service there I will post it up in case any of you are down that way. I will be there for sure and it can be a when you are there on going thing to stop in, add something to the memorial and maybe post up some pictures of the ever growing tribute to a Baja legend.

TMW - 5-17-2018 at 10:16 AM

I guess now Carlos Slim can buy Pancho's property. A couple of years ago Pancho told me that Slim wanted to buy his property but he wouldn't sell.

shari - 5-18-2018 at 08:59 AM

We just got back from BOLA and got there a day late for the burial. Pancho was buried next to Juan's cousin Frederico's wife..it was a double header at the panteon that day. It was a sad time as several locals passed on in the last couple weeks.

DEP Pancho

LancairDriver - 5-18-2018 at 09:52 AM

I guess now Carlos Slim can buy Pancho's property. A couple of years ago Pancho told me that Slim wanted to buy his property but he wouldn't sell.

Who owns the property now? Is there an Ejido there?

Email exchange about a dog left at Pancho's

David K - 6-26-2018 at 06:26 AM

Emails:

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018, 1:55 PM Henri Camou:
"Hi David
Back in March i left my dog on Panchos care while i was on a trip to Europe
I am back and ready to go down there as planned
Do you have Joses contact ?? Or anybody who can inform me
Thanks Henri"
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Sun, Jun 24, 2018 at 9:17 PM, David Kier:
Hello,
No, I don't know José.
Maybe check Baja Nomad in the thread on Pancho?
If I can help, I will!
David
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Pancho
Henri Camou
Yesterday, 7:10 PM

"I cannot suscribe to the blog
Do you mind to place a word in it for me
Just ask if anybody knows what happen to my little BIN a black hairy c-cker spaniard kind of dog that a lot of foxes know
I will be there asap in a few days
Is anybody taking over Panchos place ????
Merci. Henri"
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

TMW - 6-26-2018 at 11:09 AM

Isn't there a young(?) couple living at the ranch near Pancho's place? If so they may know about the dog and/or Jose.

TMW - 6-26-2018 at 11:26 AM

Bajazly wrote "Tuesday, we got Ranchero Jose on the road with him."

David maybe you should send Bajazly an email about the dog or put Henri in touch with Bajazly.

David K - 6-26-2018 at 04:51 PM

I gave Henri the links to this and the new thread I made this morning, for his dog. If Bajazly looks at Nomad, it should be seen by the two of them?
Thanks, Tom!

Bajazly - 6-27-2018 at 12:45 PM

Just in case someone doesn't see this in the other thread I'll put it here too. And after reading the other thread more carefully, it is the black dog in question.

I believe the dog in question is a medium size black dog. I asked Mexicali Jose what happened to the dogs and he said Ranchero Jose had them. The rancho is about a mile North of San Rafael on the west side of the road. The first well used turn off to the left, heading north, will go to the rancho.

advrider - 6-27-2018 at 06:42 PM

Kind of a bummer that he wasn't buried around his Oasis/beach. If someone is going to make a memorial at his campo I would be happy to put in some money or help if the timing is right? Sure will miss the guy!

Alm - 6-28-2018 at 08:16 PM

I guess now Carlos Slim can buy Pancho's property.

Probably. I hear he already bought BOLA airport. Don't know what he is up to, but this can't be good. Too much power in the hands of one never is.

ztrab - 7-5-2018 at 10:44 AM

I have been stopping in to have a beer and chat (that was always interesting) with Pancho for a few decades. One time I brought my wife on my big BMW GS, he always asked about her after that - she speaks beautiful Spanish. I liked to bring my dirt bike vets and Baja newbies to San Rafael on the way south. Last Feb he made us tortillas with butter and cold beers, heaven. His place looked the best ever, sorry to see a bit of Baja lore pass.
I'm trying to ride it as much as I can before progress claims the remoteness and charm. My first Baja trip, 1960, Papa Diaz's stone house and a few room was all there was in BOLA. My landlord in San Diego and he grew up together, he sent me down in 1977 with a letter - they treated us like family. Saludos Poncho!

BajaBlanca - 7-5-2018 at 12:04 PM

RIP

Wish I had met him. Keep the stories and photos coming. Great way to keep his spirit alive.

David K - 7-28-2018 at 08:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  
Just in case someone doesn't see this in the other thread I'll put it here too. And after reading the other thread more carefully, it is the black dog in question.

I believe the dog in question is a medium size black dog. I asked Mexicali Jose what happened to the dogs and he said Ranchero Jose had them. The rancho is about a mile North of San Rafael on the west side of the road. The first well used turn off to the left, heading north, will go to the rancho.

From Henri, the dog's owner on July 27 (last night):

So I went on Panchos grave at Bahia , and then at S Rafael to find out that my dog died a couples weeks after Pancho;
Jose told me she refused to eat …..
Panchos place is now empty since Jose has taken everything out to the ranch….he is waiting for some kind of a permit to take over himself
Of course Pancho himself will be irreplaceable and I will probably never go back there;;;;;;;Regards Henri

mufflerbearings - 8-14-2018 at 11:13 PM

I'm going to miss that guy. I always enjoyed visits with him, and I was always thankful he had fuel on hand for my moto. He was a kind, gentle soul and we were able to communicate surprisingly well with his small English vocabulary and my even smaller Spanish vocabulary.

JZ - 8-15-2018 at 09:55 AM

Great pcs. Still very sad about this.

[Edited on 8-15-2018 by JZ]

advrider - 8-15-2018 at 07:28 PM

Well said!

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
Great pcs. Still very sad about this.

[Edited on 8-15-2018 by JZ]

David K - 8-17-2018 at 08:25 PM

Thanks for sharing your memory of Pancho.

Bajazly - 5-8-2019 at 06:02 PM

It was one year ago today...

Enrique2012 - 5-9-2019 at 10:53 AM

I've rode through San Raphael once post Pancho. His place was locked up and no one was around. Pancho's passing has left such a large hole on that route that I now take the San Borja road out to the Pacific and continue south.

One day I hope his story will be put on paper (or online). He deserves a place in the historical record of Baja.

David K - 5-9-2019 at 11:41 AM

It was very cool that the producers if the film Devil's Road honored him in their movie.

Bajaboy - 5-9-2019 at 11:42 AM

I keep intending to write about my time with Pancho. Hopefully over summer.

Briefly, we first met in 1997 or so. I have so many fond memories of him. He celebrated my engagement, the birth of my two kids, and many other special moments. My daughter still sleeps with a stuffed animal that Pancho gave her.

We have a picture of him holding both our kids at our place in Bahia Asuncion. He'll always be a part of our family.

Bajazly - 5-9-2019 at 09:27 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajaboy  

We have a picture of him holding both our kids at our place in Bahia Asuncion. He'll always be a part of our family.

So let’s see the picture, that would be quite fitting.

advrider - 5-10-2019 at 03:03 PM

Haven't stopped in with him gone yet, just wont be the same! Might head out and camp there a night or two next year, always wanted to when he was a live..

David K - 1-23-2020 at 05:26 PM

Pancho speaks at Minute 1:29 in the film trailer, The Devil's Road:
https://youtu.be/ynw-Bn8YWiA

[Edited on 2-19-2020 by David K]

advrider - 1-23-2020 at 08:14 PM

Going to stop by in March to see how thing look. Can't wait to see that movie.

Bajazly - 1-23-2020 at 08:37 PM

We stopped in there a couple days after New Years on our way back up the coast. Didn't talk to anyone but Francisco's wife waved to me from inside the house but didn't see Francisco. Couple fishermen on the beach working on a boat and the palapa on the north end is gone. Place looks very clean and well kept.

In February I plan on a trip there for 5 or 6 days to hang out and fish and look at the stars, been too long since I've stayed there.

David K - 1-23-2020 at 09:12 PM

Please let the new Pancho (Francisco) and wife know about how popular and hospitable the late Pancho was. That they can capitalize on what Pancho created there.

Bajazly - 1-23-2020 at 11:33 PM

Please let the new Pancho (Francisco) and wife know about how popular and hospitable the late Pancho was. That they can capitalize on what Pancho created there.

Oh they knew him well, they lived over at the rancho just north of the beach there. I met them several years back when Pancho and I went over there for something or another.

David K - 1-24-2020 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Bajazly  

Oh they knew him well, they lived over at the rancho just north of the beach there. I met them several years back when Pancho and I went over there for something or another.

Oh yes, I know they knew him... They just may not know how us 'turistas' on the Internet (and in person) appreciated him and admired him. If the new people there welcome visitors and provide what Pancho did, it could be beneficial to them as much as us visitors.

David K - 5-26-2020 at 04:17 PM

Two years ago we lost Pancho... :(

Bajazly - 5-26-2020 at 06:40 PM

Two years and a couple weeks but yeah, how time flies. After a trip to Shell Island this past Sunday I have the bug to go camp on the beach.

I want to load up the GF and sneak south in the next few weeks but not sure that is prudent right now. Not sure if Bahia is allowing anyone in either. Like to see if Coco is alright as well.

AKgringo - 5-26-2020 at 07:01 PM

Bajazly, I stopped there on my way north about March 1st. It appeared to me that Poncho's place was a hang out for construction workers. There were several pieces of heavy equipment parked above his area, and the guys looked like they were dressed more for construction than fishing.

There were several fisherman's campsites on, and near the beach, and boats on the beach, so it was a busy place. I did not stay there.

If you do head south, please do check on Coco. There was damned little traffic by his place before the Covid19 shutdown, and even the road construction workers were gone.

I thought I would be back down there by mid June, but that ain't happening!

Bajazly - 5-26-2020 at 07:13 PM

Bajazly, I stopped there on my way north about March 1st. It appeared to me that Poncho's place was a hang out for construction workers. There were several pieces of heavy equipment parked above his area, and the guys looked like they were dressed more for construction than fishing.

There were several fisherman's campsites on, and near the beach, and boats on the beach, so it was a busy place. I did not stay there.

If you do head south, please do check on Coco. There was damned little traffic by his place before the Covid19 shutdown, and even the road construction workers were gone.

I thought I would be back down there by mid June, but that ain't happening!

Will do AK, been a while since I've seen him and he always makes me laugh.

The heavy equipment has been there for probably almost two years now but I've never seen the crew there. The fishermen come and go but I usually see a few mulling about. It will be nice to hang out there again albeit probably alone:bounce: