BajaNomad

2018 Baja 500

TMW - 5-10-2018 at 01:33 PM

Info for the Baja 500 is now posted with the map at the SCORE web site. It is longer than orginally stated and there is a short cut for Sportsman bikes and class 11. Odd thing on the map, it appears that check 1 is after check 2. Maybe I'm not understanding it. Also it goes thru Mikes Sky Ranch.

http://score-international.com/

ehall - 5-10-2018 at 04:18 PM

2 way traffic again on the pavement. Bad idea but it should all be in the daylight this time.

ehall - 5-10-2018 at 04:20 PM

Wonder which route they are using between mikes and coyote.

David K - 5-10-2018 at 04:26 PM

Looking at the map, it seems they pass through San Matias Pass to Checkpoint 1 (~RM 170) at El Chinero, and when they return to San Matias Pass, that is when they stop for Checkpoint 2 (~RM 260), there.

They are showing the bad (only) road from Mike's to El Coyote... When StuckSucks does his Google Earth map we can zoom in to see if there are any new alternations.

MAP (North & South halves):

[Edited on 5-10-2018 by David K]

TMW - 5-10-2018 at 09:34 PM

The whole course looks to be a fun run.

David K - 5-11-2018 at 06:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The whole course looks to be a fun run.

Agree! A taste of the mountains, a taste of the desert, a taste of the coast... three different tastes of Baja, in one race!

StuckSucks - 5-16-2018 at 02:15 PM

2018 Baja 500 embedded in Google Maps

David K - 5-16-2018 at 04:37 PM

Wow, after zooming in with Jim's map, I am indeed surprised that not only are they going through Mike's and El Coyote, but also right by Meling and then up towards the pine trees before coming down and all sorts of roads that I thought got closed after Cameron blew through the area on one of the Trail of Missions tours?!

Larry (bajatrailrider), what do you think of that route between Santo Domingo and Valladares/ Potrero area?

TMW - 5-16-2018 at 05:51 PM

The route they are using between Mikes and El Coyote is the same they have used the last several times they went between the two.

David where did you have problems in that section?

TMW - 5-16-2018 at 05:59 PM

I believe that the route starting at RM320 is the route SCORE use to use when they ran by Dark Skies Baja from Mikes. That is a fun run.

bajatrailrider - 5-17-2018 at 06:21 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Wow, after zooming in with Jim's map, I am indeed surprised that not only are they going through Mike's and El Coyote, but also right by Meling and then up towards the pine trees before coming down and all sorts of roads that I thought got closed after Cameron blew through the area on one of the Trail of Missions tours?!

Larry (bajatrailrider), what do you think of that route between Santo Domingo and Valladares/ Potrero area?
Yes David that area That Cameron ruined for all. There is a gate just to the right before Entering The Margaritas Rancho. It is unlocked for the race they have used that route many times for races. Now is the rime to ride in as will be locked after race. Its no problem riding the canyon down to Santo Domingo on a bike. For trucks they need run dozer again.

bajatrailrider - 5-17-2018 at 06:22 PM

I will be riding up there this Friday Saturday try to go that way maybe.

David K - 5-17-2018 at 09:33 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
The route they are using between Mikes and El Coyote is the same they have used the last several times they went between the two.

David where did you have problems in that section?

While there was a short low range grade on granite, it was the brake shoe mount that came loose just after the climb that caused me to turn around more than the bad road, and it was bad. Michael at El Coyote said I hadn't even reached the "really bad part" yet.

David K - 6-2-2018 at 09:54 AM

Racers starting... Live coverage: https://www.facebook.com/OfficialScoreInternational/videos/1...

By 10:30 this morning, all the racers have started and the Trophy Trucks are reaching Valle de Trinidad.

Score has 5 drones to provide live video of the races when they pass those points.

[Edited on 6-2-2018 by David K]

TMW - 6-2-2018 at 12:56 PM

Here is the live tracking link. If it doesn't work go to the SCORE site and clink on the live tracking link there.

http://www.score-international.com/2018-baja500/site/pages/r...

wessongroup - 6-2-2018 at 04:05 PM

Thanks TW ... electronic's is a trip ... unbelievable information on a rider while racing over a very large "track" .. the guys must be "wired up" for medical monitoring too ... know they use medical monitoring in other types of vehicle racing, which is good IMO

A long way from 67 .. but, still racing ... which is still fun to watch and fun to do, for the lucky few ...

Have fun out there :):)

chippy - 6-2-2018 at 04:20 PM

Whats the body count thus far?......................................J/K:P

willardguy - 6-2-2018 at 04:25 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  
Whats the body count thus far?......................................J/K:P

three less than last year, lets keep it going!:yes:

StuckSucks - 6-4-2018 at 05:51 PM

Rob Mac was out front, green to checkers:

Cam started one minute behind Rob Mac, but was only 30 seconds behind him at RM215:

Morgan Langley in the COPS Class 1, eventually taking third in class:

John Langley in the #250 (class winner at the Baja 1000) -- his 75th birthday was the day before this:

David K - 6-4-2018 at 05:57 PM

Nice photos Jim!!!
Can you or TW post the class results? How did Cameron finish, or did he finish?

John Harper - 6-5-2018 at 07:47 AM

My roommate told me she heard from some racer friends that there was a tractor/grader/bulldozer stalled in the road between Mike's and El Coyote that everyone had to go around? Fake news?

John

StuckSucks - 6-5-2018 at 08:24 AM

Overall Finish Order

Cameron finished 20th in class, 63rd overall.

twgracing - 6-5-2018 at 11:41 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
My roommate told me she heard from some racer friends that there was a tractor/grader/bulldozer stalled in the road between Mike's and El Coyote that everyone had to go around? Fake news?

John

Not fake news but it was after Melling Ranch. After I went through in our 10 car it became a parking lot for the limited classes.

StuckSucks - 6-5-2018 at 01:45 PM

Quote: Originally posted by twgracing  
Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  

John

Not fake news but it was after Melling Ranch. After I went through in our 10 car it became a parking lot for the limited classes.

I heard a bunch of chatter on the Weatherman channel talking about that bottleneck.

del mar - 6-5-2018 at 01:56 PM

https://www.facebook.com/DesertAssassins/videos/188153048189...

willardguy - 6-5-2018 at 02:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by del mar  
https://www.facebook.com/DesertAssassins/videos/188153048189...

fishgistics....

great to see a safe and sane 50th! if it wasn't for justin davis and the drone incident there'd be nothing to talk about!~:yes:

StuckSucks - 6-6-2018 at 03:18 PM

If you've seen these really big GPS antennas on the top of race cars, they are SatComm which allows the occupants of the car to press PTT and talk via satellite to their pit and chase teams anywhere in the world. Topography is no longer an issue. Pretty cool technology (albeit spendy).

caj13 - 6-6-2018 at 04:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by StuckSucks  
If you've seen these really big GPS antennas on the top of race cars, they are SatComm which allows the occupants of the car to press PTT and talk via satellite to their pit and chase teams anywhere in the world. Topography is no longer an issue. Pretty cool technology (albeit spendy).

are those systems required on all entries, or optional?

StuckSucks - 6-6-2018 at 05:06 PM

Quote: Originally posted by caj13  
are those systems required on all entries, or optional?

Optional. At 5k$ a pop, they are not for everyone.

PaulW - 6-7-2018 at 05:46 AM

Satcomm uses a satellite to ground two-way radio signal.
Not in wide usage because all your team must have the exact same device and be tuned for a common frequency.
They use a motor driven antenna, (or multiple small antennas in that pod). It is kind of funky to use since you have to wait to reply due to the transmission delay. Makes it difficult to transition from the normal VHF we all are used to. Quality of voice communication is always excellent. Yes, very expensive when bought new. They are widely available on the web since law enforcement and other government agencies have been using them for a long time.
They are limited to the number of channels (frequencies) that can be used, Typically 2 or 3. Every other Satcomm receiver can receive any communication when tuned to the correct channel. This means that you cannot select the race promoter channel or any given race team unless your Satcomm is set up for that specific channel. This means the application is very specific and not really useful for the race spectator.
NORRA has been the leader of use of these devices and last time I checked SCORE rented them from NORRA for the recent SCORE races. NORRA has enough of them that they can equip all their emergency and tech vehicles with Satcomm and still have some left over for backup. The entire NORRA inventory was purchased from the web and appropriately validated for proper usage. The darn things are not energy efficient requiring then to be powered down when not in an operating vehicle.

bajatrailrider - 6-9-2018 at 03:17 PM

5 Grand a pop. Chicken feed money for million dollar truck.

PaulW - 6-9-2018 at 03:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajatrailrider  
5 Grand a pop. Chicken feed money for million dollar truck.

=
times X for each chase truck

bajatrailrider - 6-10-2018 at 09:06 AM

yes sir A rich mans sport or company paying the bill.

caj13 - 6-10-2018 at 10:13 AM

team i am familiar with uses Dark Side, which is iridium based, has voice text, but also monitors and allows for adjustment of engine computer on the fly, as well as real time tracking , tire pressures, and has speed and location of all the chase trucks and helicopters, plus no tupperware cake holder on top - that is crushed and desroys 5K worth of equipment in a rollover!

Million dollar truck? if you are talking trophy trucks, you are way off - costs a whole hell of alot more than that.

TMW - 6-10-2018 at 01:48 PM

As Sal Fish always said. If you want to make a million dollars in off road racing start with two million, you'll soon only have a million.

Frankly I doubt any of the big money sponsors make their money back, I think it is more of a tax write off. For most everyone else it is the love of the sport.