BajaNomad

Epic Surf and Turf Trip

Nextlevelbaja - 5-13-2018 at 08:55 PM

1508296585854.jpg - 34kB
Just now getting around to posting this trip, but I think it's a worthy story. I decided it would be fun to strap some camping gear, a fishing pole, surfboard and very basic supplies on my old KTM and go for a ride in Baja.

BornFisher - 5-13-2018 at 09:13 PM

Good decision! What happened next?

Nextlevelbaja - 5-13-2018 at 09:25 PM

I started my journey in Rancho Santa Veronica and headed south to Ojos Negros to stay with a friend for a couple days. I fed him some ice cold cervezas and it wasn't long before he started sharing stories about secret trails and hot springs to the south.

With my surfboard waxed and ready I suddenly found myself far from the coast looking for these rancho agua caliente locations he described.

The first place I found was very interesting. It was indeed a hot spring, but they were using the water for a makeshift laundrymat. Locals would come and wash their clothes with the warm water and hang them to dry. Only problem is it was breezy and dust would blow right back onto everything.

Nextlevelbaja - 5-14-2018 at 04:36 PM

https://pix.sfly.com/yxhY--

Having trouble loading photos because of file size. Here is a link to the laundry mat photo

AKgringo - 5-14-2018 at 04:53 PM

I had a gun rack on my mountain bike a few years back. I think a surfboard rack on a dirt bike one upped me! Maybe two upped!

Does it act like a rudder and keep you aimed straight, and what the heck happens with a stiff cross wind? :?:

David K - 5-14-2018 at 05:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Nextlevelbaja  
https://pix.sfly.com/yxhY--

Having trouble loading photos because of file size. Here is a link to the laundry mat photo

Use www.postimages.org and click the resize drop down menu and select 800 x 600 pixels (max for Nomad).
Look forward to seeing more!

TMW - 5-14-2018 at 07:09 PM

To carry a surf board on a MC just strap it to your back and used a seat belt to hold you to the bike.

Nextlevelbaja - 5-14-2018 at 10:42 PM

It's difficult to ride with the surfboard, but worth it. Here's the resized image of hot spring laundry mat.

Nextlevelbaja - 5-14-2018 at 10:51 PM

After striking out with the first hot spring, I continued on and found a nice valley with multiple hot springs.

It was awesome. Springs were popping up everywhere.

Nextlevelbaja - 5-14-2018 at 11:17 PM

Feeling pretty good about what I found, I headed towards the coast. On my way I found a very competitive baseball game, so I decided to relax and watch. Here is a photo of the winning team

Pretty interesting that they couldn't even afford matching jerseys. None of that seemed to matter, when the coach arrived with a few cases of Bud Light.

I enjoyed my day, but it was time to hit the coast, so I went against my normal protocal and headed to Coyote Cal's Hostel. I figured I could get a cold drink and share my days story with some smiling tourists. I set up my tent and headed to the bar. There I met some friendly surfers who were looking for advice. I told them that they could pick any spot on their Baja Surf Almanac and for the price of a drink I would disclose all the details of what makes it work. Next thing you know I kept hearing "get this guy another drink!" There I was breaking all of my typical Baja rules and spilling my guts about every surf spot within 100 miles.

Nextlevelbaja - 5-14-2018 at 11:30 PM

I woke up the next morning a little hazy, but cooked up some coffee and headed out for a surf.

There wasn't a ton of swell, but nobody was around and the sun was shining. I had a fun surf and headed to Erindira for my favorite breakfast dish, Birria!

ehall - 5-15-2018 at 04:56 AM

Looks like a great trip.

Paco Facullo - 5-15-2018 at 05:09 AM

Man THAT's LIVING !!!!!!!

Nextlevelbaja - 5-15-2018 at 01:51 PM

The next day, I found out a good swell was coming, so I decided to grab some supplies and one last warm meal. I pointed the bike north and off I was, to a spot I knew should be good. I pulled up in the afternoon and I couldn't believe what I saw. Perfect overhead waves with only 1 surfer out there. It was one of those moments where I couldn't put my wetsuit on fast enough! I surfed until I couldn't feel my arms anymore.

When I got out of the water, people were crowded around my motorcycle, asking me about my adventure. I generously offered to trade them my story for a cold beer. I had yet again met some new friends.

I woke up the next morning with an all too familiar blurry feeling. They tricked me again, I must have given up some my treasured Baja surf spots? I made some coffee and surfed for most of the day loosing count of how many fun barrels I had.

I was having a fun trip, but it was time to head home to the family, so I packed up and headed north, with a big grin on my face. It was an amazing trip that had taken me on some new trails and I definitely met some new friends.

I can't wait until this years next surf and turf adventure.

Beagle - 5-15-2018 at 02:27 PM

Great Thread! Thanks for the story and pics!