BajaNomad

Photobucket Changes its heart... drops price drastically!

David K - 5-16-2018 at 09:55 PM

Obviously, they peeed off so many customers they saw the light! Just like raising taxes, which makes people leave or stop buying, Photobucket has reversed themselves almost back to where it was!

In an email tonight, was this:

Ken Cooke getting a refund must have been the straw that broke the camel's back?

Photobucket change.jpg - 93kB

JZ - 5-16-2018 at 10:51 PM

Their pricing page hasn't been updated yet.

But who couldn't see this price drop coming? No one was going to pay $40/month.

This might be a top 10 business mistake I've ever seen.

They should have come with this plan out of the gate and given like 6 months warning that it was coming. Lots would have left, but a bunch would have forked over $20/year.

Some nitwit thought they could just raise the price and make a ton of money. They will never get their base back.

Total idiots.

[Edited on 5-17-2018 by JZ]

ehall - 5-17-2018 at 04:55 AM

I agree JZ. What a poor business decision. Not sure they will get the majority of customers back.

David K - 5-17-2018 at 08:33 AM

It was never really $40/ mo (even though they may have asked for that much). When it came right down to it, it turned out that the ~$5/month level member fee allowed 3rd party hosting and no pop-up ads. TMW discovered this and then I followed ($49/yr), and all my photos and maps were showing here just fine, and none of the crazy ads that the free Photobucket was filled with.

The nice point is the photos that may have been unviewable the past few months, should be again? I did go to some of Ken Cooke's older posts and all his photos were there, again. Only if people moved their photos to a different album or deleted them from their Photobucket album will you get a Photobucket fail note.

[Edited on 5-17-2018 by David K]

Bajaboy - 5-17-2018 at 08:58 AM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
Obviously, they peeed off so many customers they saw the light! Just like raising taxes, which makes people leave or stop buying, Photobucket has reversed themselves almost back to where it was!

Ken Cooke getting a refund must have been the straw that broke the camel's back?

Couldn't just state your findings without going political....:no:

SFandH - 5-17-2018 at 08:59 AM

or adding a big tax without a vote of the people first (Jerry's California).

Why do you have to bring politics into your posts? Please stop it.

willardguy - 5-17-2018 at 09:04 AM

Quote: Originally posted by SFandH  

or adding a big tax without a vote of the people first (Jerry's California).

Why do you have to bring politics into your posts? Please stop it.

and he was being so good........:rolleyes:

David K - 5-17-2018 at 09:28 AM

I picked there first two examples of doing something unpopular to the masses that come to mind.
Sorry that you like paying more taxes and getting fewer services... most do not.
Do you really not think it is a good example of an action that is greatly unpopular? Really?
Does a governor have the right to break the law enacting new or increased taxation without a vote of the people?

Anyway... I edited out the first lines that you don't like, no problem.

Bajaboy - 5-17-2018 at 09:32 AM

I picked there first two examples of doing something unpopular to the masses that come to mind.
Sorry that you like paying more taxes and getting fewer services... most do not.
Do you really not think it is a good example of an action that is greatly unpopular? Really?
Does a governor have the right to break the law enacting new or increased taxation without a vote of the people?

There you go again....:O

BajaBlanca - 5-17-2018 at 10:29 AM

That is really a good move by photobucket.

mtgoat666 - 5-17-2018 at 11:57 AM

crikey! :barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:
:barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf::barf:

rts551 - 5-17-2018 at 01:14 PM

Just like raising taxes? Is that why Kalifornia is the most populous state? Get your facts straight Trumpett.

greengoes - 5-17-2018 at 03:50 PM

This is good, the most photographed truck in the civilized world is back.

:lol:

Ken Cooke - 5-18-2018 at 06:04 PM

Hmmm, so you believe me now David K?

David K - 5-18-2018 at 08:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Ken Cooke  
Hmmm, so you believe me now David K?

Believe what Ken?
I know they didn't upgrade your account.
I was never clear why you paid $100 after TW posted that half that worked. Anyway, I just hope we all can continue to see your photos.
www.postimages.org is easy, just set the size (800 max), and use the link for forums to show them here.

Ken Cooke - 5-19-2018 at 11:38 AM

What happened was, I fell for Photbuckets bait/switch ad where I paid $100 or $9.99/month for x amount of image hosting and an ads free Photobucket experience. A monthly debit didn't actually exist, and to qualify for third party hosting, I had to pony up a full $399! When this became apparent to me, I requested a refund in full, and within 48 hours, it was approved.

IMGUR is similar to Photobucket - provided the user has a desktop or laptop computer. It is free, but with a social media component as part of it's business model - along with printing services.

I plan to migrate my images to IMGUR for fear that Photobucket will reverse it's decision someday.