BajaNomad

Gonzaga Bay Update?

mrfatboy - 5-21-2018 at 04:54 AM

I am looking for any current info in regards to travelling to Gonzaga Bay. Roadwork, Checkpoints, etc.

How's Alfonsinas restaurant doing?

Is Punta Final still charging for a day trip?

Any current info would be helpful.

Thanks much

Pete69 - 5-21-2018 at 07:51 AM

Alfe's is undergoing an expansion, prices are up but still a good stop. Yes Punta is charging to get through the gate. No toys. Checkpoints are the same, friendly military by my experiences. The road, potholes are always being fixed, but the road going south from SF is bad. Blacktop paving is falling apart. Slow down on the way to Puertositos. South of that, watch out for rocks on the road. Coming from the south, kind of graded dirt, you'll hit blacktop about 15 miles before Gonzaga bay.

weebray - 5-21-2018 at 08:40 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pete69  
Alfe's is undergoing an expansion, prices are up but still a good stop. Yes Punta is charging to get through the gate. No toys.

Alfe's is a must skip.

TMW - 5-21-2018 at 03:45 PM

I've only stayed there once several years ago. My brother and I had a room under the windmill. The bearings were shot and the noise was so loud we couldn't sleep. My brother told em to turn it off or give us our money back, they turned it off. Never stayed there again mostly because I think it is over priced. I have no problem sleeping on my camp cot.

Now their food is a different story, excellent and I've eaten there many times.

bajamary1952 - 5-21-2018 at 05:09 PM

For me, that whole place is highly over-rated. The other accommodations, Rancho Grande I think, can be another rip-off. When I went there this past January, they booked myself & another couple in the same trailer and then tried to put me in a trailer with no refrigerator at the same price. Asked for my money back and they did give it to me. There are other places just as appealing on the coast with less chance of being rip-offed. Guess they've had too many gringos there hence the attitude.

chippy - 5-21-2018 at 05:28 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
2006:

2008:

2010:

2015:

2017:

You gots to be kidding:?: What a ream job.:lol:

David K - 5-21-2018 at 05:29 PM

We never stay there, just go for the food and view!

Edit, I removed my photo post since chippy didn't so you guys don't have to suffer through them twice, lol!

[Edited on 5-22-2018 by David K]

chippy - 5-21-2018 at 05:55 PM

Hello! The ream job pricing was in your photos:light:. I never accused you of staying there:light:. Don´t be so sensitive:lol:.

[Edited on 5-22-2018 by chippy]

freediverbrian - 5-21-2018 at 06:36 PM

Don't want to do alphonsina then try the restaurant at pulmo about 5 miles north of rancho grande . No hotel but great food half the price and better service. A mile off the highway but worth it !!! Please give it a try. Look for the sigh and follow the road to a old school good Mexican restaurant.

del mar - 5-21-2018 at 07:05 PM

disappointing don rafa turned his restaurant site into lodging:(

TMW - 5-21-2018 at 08:26 PM

David the guy in the 3rd pix down is a rip off artist. He bums beer from his buddies and smokes from his girl friends.

JZ - 5-21-2018 at 08:33 PM

I have a bunch of raw drone shots from there. Will have to throw them together.

David K - 5-21-2018 at 08:40 PM

Lol, not the squarecicle, lol!

The good restaurant mentioned above is La Poma, 1 mile in, at km. 133.5. This is 7 miles north of the Pemex station, km. 147 (Alfonsina's driveway). The small motel is at Punta Bufeo, km. 135.5 and 1.4 miles in.

Paco Facullo - 5-21-2018 at 09:12 PM

David K,

I gotta say , logistics wise , you are the best !!!!

willardguy - 5-22-2018 at 08:02 AM

I can't believe someone hasn't started construction on a new resort yet,the opportunity is there!:P

HeyMulegeScott - 5-22-2018 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by mrfatboy  

Is Punta Final still charging for a day trip?

Yes. When I was there in March. I can't recall how much but it seemed like a lot to just take a look.

wilderone - 5-22-2018 at 08:58 AM

... restaurant at pulmo ...
Where? Don't see a pulmo anything on my maps. Camping OK?

David K - 5-22-2018 at 09:22 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

See my Trip #1 (2017) report. It is all there. It is on my map, as it is too new for the AAA map or Almanac.

willardguy - 5-22-2018 at 10:45 AM

Pomo, as in isla Pomo one of the enchanted islands.

David K - 5-22-2018 at 12:02 PM

Quote: Originally posted by willardguy  

Pomo, as in isla Pomo one of the enchanted islands.

To get really picky, it is La Poma as I corrected freediverbrian already, last night. Cindi, let me know if you need a link to the photos of the place and the generous fish dinner I had there.

bajabum - 6-7-2018 at 03:43 PM

The glory and alour of Gonzaga bay is a thing of the past and alfonsinas is now a tourist trap chit hole...don't go there. I was there last week and a whale shark swam by and was immediately mugged by 20 paddle boarder and swimmers, ski boats and jet skis everywhere (wtf). I will never go there again...the old Baja spirit has ben lost. Good luck Jauquin and Roman

willardguy - 6-7-2018 at 03:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabum  
The glory and alour of Gonzaga bay is a thing of the past and alfonsinas is now a tourist trap chit hole...don't go there. I was there last week and a whale shark swam by and was immediately mugged by 20 paddle boarder and swimmers, ski boats and jet skis everywhere (wtf). I will never go there again...the old Baja spirit has ben lost. Good luck Jauquin and Roman

imagine when the road is done.......

David K - 6-7-2018 at 04:10 PM

Good roads bring ALL kinds of people!

advrider - 6-7-2018 at 07:25 PM

Yep, we just stop for a beer and move on now! Use to the best place to stay heading south and what a beach! Prices are crazy and they are adding more on every day, how long before all of the houses are bulldozed for condos?

mtgoat666 - 6-7-2018 at 08:00 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajabum  

Or in other words:

“Get off my grass!”
And
“I’m 70 years old and for the past 50 years the world has been going to hell in a hanbasket!”

StuckSucks - 6-8-2018 at 12:05 PM

Two weeks ago I was talking to a gringo resident in San Felipe -- he had lived here since the 80s and has never been south of town. Even worse, he has zero curiosity to find out. In his mind, San Felipe IS Baja.

StuckSucks - 6-8-2018 at 12:15 PM

A couple photos from December, 2003:

TMW - 6-8-2018 at 12:37 PM

That is kinda funny. I have to admit when I lived in San Diego from 1978 to 1987 I never went south of Maneadero nor anywhere east. Just the strip along the Pacific coast to La Bufadora. Then in 1987 some friends and I went south to Colonet and the sand dunes at San Antonio del Mar. Saw some people pre-running the Baja 500 course and thus we got hooked on off road racing and the rest is history. By 1989 I had been up and down Baja and Baja Sur several times.

willardguy - 6-9-2018 at 10:19 AM

Quote: Originally posted by advrider  
Yep, we just stop for a beer and move on now! Use to the best place to stay heading south and what a beach! Prices are crazy and they are adding more on every day, how long before all of the houses are bulldozed for condos?

im for it!:P...imagine a really nice resort there, picture Estero Beach there!

hombre66 - 6-10-2018 at 06:04 PM

I was at Final in March and they charged us $12 per night to camp on the beach south of the houses. It was nice and quiet.. the ban on motor toys was one of the reasons we went in , and we werent dissapointed.
Only amenity there is pit toilet. No palapas. Wind got strange and produced 1 to 2 ft rideable waves!

wilderone - 6-14-2018 at 07:42 AM

So the La Poma Restaurant is located at Campo Turistico (at km 134), which is north of Gonzaga and on the map, and there is camping on the beach.

David K - 6-14-2018 at 09:07 AM

So the La Poma Restaurant is located at Campo Turistico (at km 134), which is north of Gonzaga and on the map, and there is camping on the beach.

From my TRIP REPORT #3 (March 2017):

Km. 133.5 is the road to La Poma, restaurant, camping palapas, lots for lease. Camping is $10 US and the owner will add the tarp to the frame when you arrive. Good idea to preserve the life of the tarps.

My lunch was great... halibut! With beer + tip, 300 pesos

I was at La Poma from 11:30-12:37 Sunday. The only customer.
The owner is the brother of the owner of Punta Bufeo, which has a small motel and landing strip for pilots... 2 kilometers south. They are related to Papa Fernandez, as well.
==================================================================
AREA MAPS: