BajaNomad

Portable generators

mooose29 - 5-23-2018 at 02:07 PM

Would love to get some advice on portable generators that you all have used and like. I am looking for about a 3000w gen give or take. One that will run off of gas has a good fuel consumption rate, and isn’t so loud it will bother the neighbors or us for that matter.

I am looking at it to run an AC unit for one room in our house and it would probably run most of the night. Our house generator is fairly loud and is very thirsty and we don’t have enough batteries to keep it going all night.

Thanks in advance for your input.

Josh.

Pacifico - 5-23-2018 at 02:29 PM

We use a Honda 2000 and it works great. The Honda 3000 is probably similar in reliability, but a slight bit louder.

I also made a 22 gallon portable fuel tank attached to a dolly that we hook to it for extended run times...:light:

[Edited on 5-23-2018 by Pacifico]

Timinator - 5-23-2018 at 03:31 PM

I bought the Yamaha 2000 watt equivalent. Actually I bought two of them to run together when I needed to for AC units, but, I never had to. One unit would run the portable AC unit for my cabin with no problem. I chose the Yamaha because it has a longer life span (thicker cylinder walls) and most importantly, a gas shut off. The gas shut off so you can run the carb dry and not let gas sit in the float bowls. Great generators, would buy them again. EF200iSV2 I think is the new model of the ones I have.

JZ - 5-23-2018 at 04:36 PM

Honda EU2200i is the gold standard for portable generators. I've had mind for 10+ years and it runs great.

chippy - 5-23-2018 at 05:07 PM

Here is a good comparison.

https://www.thegeneratorpower.com/yamaha-ef2000is-vs-honda-e...

woody with a view - 5-23-2018 at 05:11 PM

Look at champion 2800w.

Yamaha at COSTCO (US)

bajaguy - 5-23-2018 at 05:22 PM

https://www.costco.com/A-IPower-1600W-Running--2000W-Peak-Ya...

JZ - 5-23-2018 at 06:20 PM

Quote: Originally posted by chippy  

That's not a comparison against the latest Honda.

Honda >>> Yamaha for generators.

JZ - 5-23-2018 at 06:22 PM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  
https://www.costco.com/A-IPower-1600W-Running--2000W-Peak-Ya...

Don't buy cheap stuff.

Portable generators

TMW - 5-23-2018 at 07:46 PM

Honda makes a pretty good generator.

TMW - 5-23-2018 at 07:52 PM

Also if it is too loud you can make a sound deadening enclosure area. Not a box but an area for good air flow to keep the gen. cool. Shade on top and sound proof material on walls set back.

hermosok123 - 5-23-2018 at 09:57 PM

Honda, we run a one room A/C unit all night with no problem. Pull start 3000 Watt. Starts first pull. Keep plug clean, oil and air filter.

Cappy - 5-24-2018 at 05:36 AM

i have had my Yamaha for 5 years.

No problems

Royosbaja - 5-24-2018 at 07:09 AM

I use the honda 3000si for the exact purpose you are referring to. Runs all night on a single tank of fuel and is very quiet.
If I had it to do again, I would start with the Honda 2000 and if more power is needed, combine with a second one. 2-2000s are not much more than a single 3000.
The issue I have with the 3000 is that it is really heavy and the older I get, the heavier it becomes......

Timinator - 5-24-2018 at 07:38 AM

I bought 2 of the Yamaha equivalents; they have thicker cylinder walls and fuel shut off switches so you can run the carbs dry after using them. VERY important. They link together like the Honda's but I've only had to use one of them ever to run an AC for my hunting cabin. I would be them again. They are an "inverter generator" like the Honda's and always start on the first or second pull.

tbnoble - 5-24-2018 at 08:36 AM

I have used my Champion 3100 for the last 4 years remote start, good fuel economy, fairly quiet bought it from HD for 750 but any number of places sell it.

caj13 - 5-24-2018 at 09:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  

Thats your opinion, and you are entitled too it. Ran the Honda for 10 years, never had a problem running a portsable radar . AC etc research station - good unit - but pricey! switched to the Yamaha (costco) because of the price, when I needed another generator - absolutely zero complaints for the last 5 years, and cost me 1/2 as much. I agree with don't buy cheap - if you are seriously thinking about a Harbor Freight unit. but my advise - coming from a guy who has run both the Honda and Yamaha for alot of years , under heavy loads: - you'll be happy with either - for a long time - but with the yamaha - I'm 500 bucks happier!

[Edited on 5-24-2018 by caj13]

caj13 - 5-24-2018 at 09:07 AM

got a link for that statement?

SFandH - 5-24-2018 at 09:56 AM

I spend the winter at popular RV beaches on Bahia Concepcion and unfortunately have seen and heard many portable gas generators. Hondas are the most popular (and least annoying) by far. I did notice a Yamaha once.

Honda and Yamaha are experts at making small gas motors.

Russ - 5-24-2018 at 03:08 PM

Hey, if you haven't bought yet. Both Yamaha and Honda are poplar here but the edge has gone to Honda. There are a few 2000i's that seem to work with most mini splits here but I haven't had luck with mine so I use the 3000i and once it has the AC running I'll switch over to the eco mode. I'm only getting about 6 hours with my 3000i but others run theirs all night or 8 hours. there is a cheep add a tank for the 2000i Honda that extends the run time but much more expensive to convert the 3000i. If you go the 2- 2000 option use the Honda connection cable.

basautter - 5-25-2018 at 12:46 PM

I have a Honda EU2000, and love the beast. It's over 10 years old and still works great! If you get one (or one slightly bigger) make sure to drain the gas from the carb if it is going to be in storage for an extended period of time. It will be much easier to start when you need it. :bounce::bounce:

pacsur - 5-25-2018 at 02:41 PM

Cheap and easy solution to run the gas out of the carburetor when shutting off Honda eu2000i-

https://hutchmountain.com/products.html#!/Bad-Gas-Ethanol-Gu...

Pacifico - 5-25-2018 at 07:38 PM

Quote: Originally posted by pacsur  
Cheap and easy solution to run the gas out of the carburetor when shutting off Honda eu2000i-

https://hutchmountain.com/products.html#!/Bad-Gas-Ethanol-Gu...

Just ordered one! Thanks for the tip!

wessongroup - 5-26-2018 at 12:37 AM

Ford's and Chevy's :biggrin::biggrin:

basautter - 5-26-2018 at 04:14 AM

Thanks pacsur for the heads up on the EU 2000 carb switch! I now have one on order! :bounce::bounce:

[Edited on 5-26-2018 by basautter]

Pacifico - 5-26-2018 at 06:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by basautter  
Thanks Pacifico for the heads up on the EU 2000 carb switch! I now have one on order! :bounce::bounce:

Thanks, but Pacsur recommended that little gem! I wish I already received mine...I'm heading south on Tuesday!

basautter - 5-26-2018 at 06:54 AM

Got it, correction made. Have fun on your trip. Just got back myself :light:

[Edited on 5-26-2018 by basautter]

larryC - 5-27-2018 at 07:05 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  
Thanks Pacifico for the heads up on the EU 2000 carb switch! I now have one on order! :bounce::bounce:

Thanks, but Pacsur recommended that little gem! I wish I already received mine...I'm heading south on Tuesday!

See you down there, I'm following Tibby down on Saturday.

Pacifico - 5-27-2018 at 08:16 PM

Quote: Originally posted by larryC  
Quote: Originally posted by Pacifico  

See you down there, I'm following Tibby down on Saturday.

See you down there, Larry!

Thanks all

mooose29 - 5-27-2018 at 11:29 PM

Some good feedback on this, thank you all for the information. I will let you all know what we end up with (I am leaning towards the Honda) and give you a report on its performance.

[Edited on 5-30-2018 by mooose29]

basautter - 5-28-2018 at 04:52 AM

If you go with the Honda, here are a few more useful accessories. My favorite is the gas cap that connects to a boat gas can and gives extended run time. It may work with other brands as long as the threads are the same.

https://www.amazon.com/EnRand-Aluminum-Extended-Magnetic-Gen...

JZ - 5-28-2018 at 06:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by wessongroup  

Chevy crushes Ford.

AKgringo - 5-28-2018 at 07:14 AM

Chevy crushes Ford.

I didn't know that they made portable generators!

woody with a view - 5-28-2018 at 10:13 AM

If you go with the Honda, here are a few more useful accessories. My favorite is the gas cap that connects to a boat gas can and gives extended run time. It may work with other brands as long as the threads are the same.

thanks for the link. just bought one and hope it fits my Champion.

Pacifico - 5-28-2018 at 04:24 PM

Quote: Originally posted by woody with a view  

thanks for the link. just bought one and hope it fits my Champion.

Be very careful with the aluminum caps! They tear up the plastic really easy if overly tightened...just be careful. I just made one using the stock gas cap; much better!

HeyMulegeScott - 5-28-2018 at 04:55 PM

My brother picked up this Honda clone from Harbor Freight for $699. I was impressed how quiet it was. I know there's probably a lot of China haters out there but it seems to have good reviews. https://www.harborfreight.com/3500-Watt-Super-Quiet-Inverter...

chippy - 5-28-2018 at 05:35 PM

The problem with HF/chinese stuff is that it is very hit or miss. Don´t get me wrong I shop there whenever I´m up north but sometimes you can get a great deal or royally screwed. Please let us know how that genny works out.

AKgringo - 5-28-2018 at 05:54 PM

I have a Chinese copy of a Honda design engine on my log splitter. It works well, but if I don't shut off the fuel supply after running it, it sometimes dilutes the oil with gasoline.

I usually shut the supply valve and let it run until it sputters before shutting it off.

Edit; It has been so long since the governor on the throttle failed, that I forgot that I shouldn't have to keep setting the RPMs manually.

[Edited on 5-29-2018 by AKgringo]

basautter - 5-28-2018 at 06:33 PM

China bought the plans for some of the older designs from Honda, but there is no guarantee they use the same materials, hold the same machining tolerances or have consistent assembly procedures. They do seem to be getting better, but I am not ready to chance it yet.

pacificobob - 5-28-2018 at 08:49 PM

many feel there are 2 kinds of generators. honda...and everything else.

wessongroup - 5-29-2018 at 12:18 AM

Quote: Originally posted by AKgringo  

Chevy crushes Ford.

I didn't know that they made portable generators!

:lol::lol:

How about chainsaws' ... I've got a Husqvarna .. any Stihl fans out there

Got both .. Yamaha and Honda, only used twice .. both worked

[Edited on 5-29-2018 by wessongroup]

[Edited on 5-29-2018 by wessongroup]

Timinator - 5-29-2018 at 04:37 AM

Anything you plug in or put gas in it isn't something you should EVER buy from Harbor Freight. Yea, a few of you but something that works. Good for you. I own a working farm, if you want to keep it working you don't use tools from HF.

Lee - 5-29-2018 at 11:18 AM

2 Stihls.

Gens:

Generac 14k watt, 20 circuits, Home
2 Honda 2000i (run parallel)
Onan 7k
Onan 4k

willardguy - 5-29-2018 at 11:41 AM

I just hardwired a toggle switch on my eu2000, I don't know if the kits mention it but after you run it out of gas start it up with the choke on to empty the choke circuit, also you'll notice there will still be fuel in the bowl so if you're storing it for awhile...i'd still empty the bowl;)

Bob and Susan - 5-29-2018 at 11:52 AM

i'd leave it FULL of gas
and start it once and a while to keep the juices running

you wont need it at 10am where you have 8 hours of sunlight to "screw around" with it to get it running

you'll NEED it at 9pm when there is NO electricity and it's DARK!!!

have it ready to start and USE!!!

forget draining the gas..be prepared

Smarter tools?

Gscott - 5-31-2018 at 09:49 PM

Costco used to sell the 'smarter tools' 2000w generator for under 600 bucks. Yamaha engine. Can run 2 in parallel just like the honda. But the Yamaha has a fuel gauge and you can shut off the fuel, not possible with the Honda. Honda is notorious for carb issues after short storage, since it is impossible to run it out of fuel without draining the carb. I have a Honda 2000, have the Smarter Tools at work. If I had it to do over again I would buy the Yamaha or Smartertools for myself.

SunDevil - 6-1-2018 at 07:15 AM

Last time I looked the Honda and Yamaha inverter generators were the top choices. Inverter generators are much quieter and they throttle up and down to match demand.

Decide what models satisfy your needs taking into account the peak load from when your AC starts up.

It's not hard to get a top rated generator for a good price if you are flexible in what you want and are willing to buy a used one. You don't have to be an expert to avoid the duds.

Set up some craigslist searches. You will get an email when someone lists their generator. Check the photos to verify the model and condition and then call to the owner.

Used Honda prices will be higher than comparable Yamaha, maybe for good reason, but the Yamaha we use is very quiet and good on gas.

woody with a view - 6-1-2018 at 02:39 PM

Edit: link https://m.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100...

I paid less than $700 2.5 years ago for this genny withou flex fuel and electric start at costco. It literally 2-3 decibels lower than the honda for more than half off. If it fails costco will take it back, no questions asked, not that I would do it. I have 187 hours on it hasnt missed a beat!

I can confirm the honda adapters (gas cap and oil drain) linked above dont fit champion and now have a kit for whoever sends $12.00 to cover shipping! Call it an early Xmas present.

[Edited on 6-1-2018 by woody with a view]

chippy - 6-1-2018 at 04:22 PM

https://m.costco.com/Champion-DUAL-FUEL-2800wt-Running--3100...

The propane option is a winner!

basautter - 6-4-2018 at 05:08 AM

Here is my final input on this topic. Consumer Reports just rated 2KW inverter type generators. Results are as follows;

1) Honda EU2000 - Score of 77, costs $1,000
2) Westinghouse Gen2000 - Score of 76, costs $520.00
3) Preddator62523 - Score of 72, costs $500.00

I have the Honda, but would at least consider the others if I were shopping for one now. .:light::light:

basautter - 8-3-2018 at 12:38 PM

Ok, one more post here. I installed the kit referenced below on my EU 2000, and it works great!

https://hutchmountain.com/products.html#!/Bad-Gas-Ethanol-Gu

Doug/Vamonos - 8-8-2018 at 08:12 AM

Don't get the impression Hondas are carefree and always reliable. I have a EU2000 I bought in 2005. Haven't used it a ton because I also had an EU3000 at the same time. On many occasions I've had trouble starting the 2000. And yes, I do drain my carb, change the oil and plug, and run fuel treatment through it regularly. The problems I had, the simple ones, are usually the sparkplug tip is fouled with a piece of carbon preventing a spark. I've also had the on/off switch not work and required me to take it apart to clean it. This happened again my last trip and I temporarily disconnected the switch and just let it run out of gas to turn it off. The most difficult to diagnose and repair was the intake valve being stuck in the guide due to carbon and sticky fuel gunk. That's the best way I can describe it. Basically, the valve stem and the valve guide develop a buildup of sticky stuff that causes the valve to stick open (will not seat in the head) and not develop compression in the cylinder. Search youtube and you will find plenty of instances of this. The fix is to remove valve cover and valve keepers, retainer, and spring, and spray the valve stem with a carbon cleaner such as BRP engine tuner. And start moving the valve up and down until the gunk is removed and the valve moves freely. I've had to do this twice so far. Something a non-mechanic owner will probably never figure out themselves. So Hondas have not been carefree and reliable in my experience. But I still use them and love them.

John Harper - 8-8-2018 at 08:31 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Doug/Vamonos  
The fix is to remove valve cover and valve keepers, retainer, and spring, and spray the valve stem with a carbon cleaner such as BRP engine tuner. And start moving the valve up and down until the gunk is removed and the valve moves freely. I've had to do this twice so far. Something a non-mechanic owner will probably never figure out themselves. So Hondas have not been carefree and reliable in my experience. But I still use them and love them.

Not a job for the average joe, for sure. Not many have a valve spring compressor just laying on the workbench. Interesting, I wonder what's causing the buildup? What fuel stabilizer are you using?

John

[Edited on 8-8-2018 by John Harper]

Don Pisto - 8-8-2018 at 09:27 AM

my eu2000 has always been a little cantankerous.....how about running some Seafoam through it? and maybe some in the crankcase?

Doug/Vamonos - 8-8-2018 at 09:44 AM

I always run some seafoam in the gas. And the valve spring is very light. Not at all difficult to compress for assembly/disassembly. I just use a combination wrench and compress it by hand, then remove the keepers, remove the wrench, and remove the retainer and spring. If you have the piston at tdc the valve won't fall in. I've also read recommendations to use the pull cord to put the piston at the top of the stroke so the valve is closed between use and this prevents it from building up the residues on the valve stem and guide and sticking open.

larryC - 8-8-2018 at 05:44 PM

I also had the stuck valve, although I think mine was an exhaust valve. Anyway I now use just a touch of 2 cycle oil with each fuel fill up and have not had a problem since I started doing that. It seems to lube the valve stems and keeps everything moving well.

Don Pisto - 8-8-2018 at 08:01 PM

I wouldn't be opposed to Seafoam in the the crankcase, run it, drain it then an oil change. yes/no?

woody with a view - 8-8-2018 at 08:11 PM

Larry, please define a “touch.”

Pisto, for vehicles they say to run it 500 miles in the crankcase and then drain and refill with clean oil. How many hours equal 500 miles?

larryC - 8-10-2018 at 07:15 AM

Woody
I try to keep it mixed between 50 to 100/1. Not easy to do so usually just a cap full.
I would guess 500 miles is equivalent to some where near 10 hours.
To be clear I put the 2 cycle oil in the fuel tank not the crank case.

John Harper - 8-10-2018 at 04:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by Don Pisto  
I wouldn't be opposed to Seafoam in the the crankcase, run it, drain it then an oil change. yes/no?

Modern oils have detergents, should not be necessary. My can just says to add to oil, but I have never heard of anyone doing that. Of course, not a lot of people I know use Seafoam in SoCal either, unless you have a motorcycle. Not a lot of winter storage of mowers, no snowblowers, etc.

I actually thought you might use it only as an oil change flush, but it appears to be a general additive for the oil as well. No thanks. Just get the motor up operating temps (to purge moisture) and then drain the oil.

I definitely use Seafoam in my Sportster, but only in the fuel system.

John

[Edited on 8-10-2018 by John Harper]

new Generator report

PaulW - 8-30-2018 at 07:16 AM

The latest from Consumer reports
Generators for recreational use
Honda vs Harbor freight
https://www.consumerreports.org/inverter-generators/harbor-f...

Generators.jpg - 86kB

SFandH - 8-30-2018 at 09:09 AM

Thanks. Good info!

chippy - 8-30-2018 at 03:31 PM

Nice to hear the HF Predator rated so well with CR. Two for the price of a Honda appeals to my ¨P-nche codo¨side. Plus its nice that you can run them in tandem and power bigger users like an ac. Now if we could get a longevity report (s).

PaulW - 8-30-2018 at 04:37 PM

Hey Chippy the report was not from CNN :D

chippy - 8-30-2018 at 04:53 PM

Quote: Originally posted by PaulW  
Hey Chippy the report was not from CNN :D

Good thing. I guess its not fake news then;).