BajaNomad

San Felipe vacation rental for January/February 2019 wanted

hansi12465 - 5-27-2018 at 05:19 PM

Looking to rent a condo or a house in San Felipe for part of January and February 2019 for 2 Adults, no kids, no pets. Secure parking a must, internet service preferred.

JZ - 5-27-2018 at 06:04 PM

San Felipe is crappy as hell. Other than the border towns, it's about the worse place in Baja. So many better places.

Keep heading South.

willardguy - 5-27-2018 at 06:16 PM

there's a FB page san felipe rentals you might want to keep an eye on.

hansi12465 - 5-29-2018 at 08:50 PM

Quote: Originally posted by JZ  
San Felipe is crappy as hell. Other than the border towns, it's about the worse place in Baja. So many better places.

Keep heading South.

I did not ask for your opinion on San Felipe.

mtgoat666 - 5-29-2018 at 08:56 PM

Quote: Originally posted by hansi12465  

Keep heading South.

Jizz is rarely right. This is one of those rare times.

hansi12465 - 5-29-2018 at 09:12 PM

Keep heading South.

willardguy - 5-29-2018 at 09:18 PM

welcome to bajablowhards:rolleyes:

hansi12465 - 5-29-2018 at 09:18 PM

Keep heading South.

Mtgoat666: Neither did I ask you about your opinion on US

Thank you willardguy, good advice.

hansi12465 - 5-29-2018 at 09:22 PM

Sorry, fat fingers: meant to say = Mtgoat666: Neither did I ask about your opinion on JZ

JZ - 5-29-2018 at 11:20 PM

Just trying to help you out brother.

Skip SF. Much, much better places to spend 2 months in Baja.

David K - 5-30-2018 at 07:04 AM

While I am no fan of cities, San Felipe can be a fun place as an introduction to a Baja trip. It has the world famous fish tacos to get you charged and lots of gas stations to get you fueled so you can head out into the 'real' Baja countryside.

The number of off-road tracks (dirt roads) and arroyos to explore and take you to interesting sites is near endless... Miles and miles of sandy beaches and a huge tide (goes out a mile depending on the moon) are another attraction. Because you get a room or condo in San Felipe doesn't mean you need to stay in San Felipe. Do take a drive south to Gonzaga Bay (90-100 paved-road miles) and have a look and a meal at Alfonsina's, Papa Fernandez' or La Poma (6 miles north).

Go to the Baja Travel Articles forum here on Nomad for San Felipe area stories for ideas. I just wrote one on the valley and canyons near San Felipe. Have fun!

nandopedal - 5-30-2018 at 08:00 AM

Looking to rent a condo or a house in San Felipe for part of January and February 2019 for 2 Adults, no kids, no pets. Secure parking a must, internet service preferred.

San Felipe Air B&B

TMW - 5-30-2018 at 12:28 PM

A Filet mignon at El Nido's is among the best anywhere. Depending on the bartender a margarita at Pete's Camp is among the best anywhere. Having a drink at the Miramar Bar with friends is about the best it gets. Staying at my friend Rudy's place south of town above the beach watching the stars at night and the sun come up in the morning is about as good as it gets.

JZ - 5-30-2018 at 06:17 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
While I am no fan of cities, San Felipe can be a fun place as an introduction to a Baja trip. It has the world famous fish tacos to get you charged and lots of gas stations to get you fueled so you can head out into the 'real' Baja countryside.

The number of off-road tracks (dirt roads) and arroyos to explore and take you to interesting sites is near endless... Miles and miles of sandy beaches and a huge tide (goes out a mile depending on the moon) are another attraction. Because you get a room or condo in San Felipe doesn't mean you need to stay in San Felipe. Do take a drive south to Gonzaga Bay (90-100 paved-road miles) and have a look and a meal at Alfonsina's, Papa Fernandez' or La Poma (6 miles north).

Go to the Baja Travel Articles forum here on Nomad for San Felipe area stories for ideas. I just wrote one on the valley and canyons near San Felipe. Have fun!

Naw, SF has no redeming qualities. No bays. No islands. Beach is complete chit with the enormous tide. Huge party town for locals coming down from Mexicali. Overall landscape is butt ugly.

It's ok for a few days if you are late 20's, early 30's and want to bang senoritas. We've all been there.

But I'd kill myself before spending 2 months in that dust bowl.

[Edited on 5-31-2018 by JZ]

motoged - 5-30-2018 at 06:32 PM

Naw, SF has no redeming qualities. .....

But I'd kill myself before spending 2 months in that dust bowl.

[Edited on 5-31-2018 by JZ]

Somebody offer JZ two months free rent in SF....:lol:

(Just couldn't let that set-up go.....:biggrin: )

David K - 5-31-2018 at 10:13 AM

The big tides are the attraction of the upper gulf, it is not only interesting, exposes shells and sand dollars, quadruples the size of the beach (twice a day)... but being all sand, is fun to play on.

San Felipe is on a bay, between Punta Machorro and Punta Estrella.... Bahía San Felipe.

Why would you not venture out each day? I would kill myself too if I just stayed in the hotel for 2 months!

Just twenty minutes drive from town, road at km. 26, is "Shell Island":

2 AirBnBs near San Felipe

bajamary1952 - 5-31-2018 at 11:24 AM

I'm housesitting in Big Bear, CA for someone who has properties here and 2 in Baja. These are private properties one in San Felipe and in La Costilla. This is south of San Felipe where the beaches are more attractive and less people. There is no internet service and both are on solar.
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/581609
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/440823
If you have questions, PM me.

JZ - 6-1-2018 at 11:24 AM

Sorry to bust your bubble DK, but Shell Island looks terrible.

Baja doesn't get nice on the SOC side until you hit Gonzaga Bay.

What makes Baja special is when the mountains run up to the ocean, creating spectacular bays.

The entire SF area is made up of low lying coast line and is ugly as can be. Miserable for boating as well.

[Edited on 6-1-2018 by JZ]

Tioloco - 6-1-2018 at 11:48 AM

JZ...
Don't forget not everyone sees things thru the same lens. Thankfully

Tioloco - 6-1-2018 at 11:50 AM

hansi12465- San Felipe has a lot of rental options. A quick check will reveal many choices. Enjoy

David K - 6-1-2018 at 12:09 PM

Lol.... hard to find something everyone likes, but Baja sure has a variety to pick from.

AKgringo - 6-1-2018 at 12:30 PM

I have overnighted in, or near San Felipe quite a few times, but have never spent more than a half a day at a time exploring the town and surrounding area.

It is not high on my list of places to visit, but I am sure that if there was a reason for me to spend a couple of weeks there I would find things to enjoy. Mid winter only for me though, northern California is too hot for me in the summer!

David K - 6-1-2018 at 03:05 PM

My 2017 Nomad Trip Report #1 (south of town) http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85374

and #3 (north of town and southwest of town) http://forums.bajanomad.com/viewthread.php?tid=85989

covered the area for a preview.

In addition...

I just did an article on the valley and canyons west and southwest from town, too:

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/san_feli...

Here is one on fossil hunting and includes a site south of San Felipe, about 25 miles:

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/baja_fos...

More on the canyons:

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/el_berre...

https://www.bajabound.com/bajaadventures/bajatravel/matomi_f...

TMW - 6-1-2018 at 03:20 PM

I think the big attraction that brings people in is off road racing. Back in the late 80s and early 90s SCORE had the SF250 (starting in 90) along with the Baja 500 and often the Baja 1000 using parts of the San Felipe area. Baja Promotions had several races a year in the San Felipe area. Now in addition to SCORE there is CODE and Record Racing, it's money for the locals.

From a tourist standpoint there are no attractions that mom, dad and the kids would care about except the beaches. I don't know what the fishing is like now, it use to be pretty good. Summer is too hot for most people but fall, winter and spring are good. So unless you are a desert rat that likes to explore stuff in the desert there is not much for you other than listed above.

For me I like the town and the area. I have several friends that either live there or have a home there.

[Edited on 6-1-2018 by TMW]

bajamedic - 6-1-2018 at 04:51 PM

hansi12465 for what it is worth... I love my visits to San Felipe. The people that I have met there, the great food and the sights alone is worth the drive for me. I love being on the Malecon in the evenings, both the gringos and the locals have been interesting and entertaining. I have never had a bad meal at any of the restaurants that I have been to in San Felipe. I usually stay in Motels when I am there and I have never had anything stolen or damaged while parked there. I do enjoy exploring the areas around San Felipe, as they offer an abundance of sights to see. Please don't let the nay-sayers discourage your visit. If you don't like it, hey, you can move on. JH

JZ - 6-1-2018 at 06:41 PM

I'll triple down.

SF is a good place to stay if:

- it's one night and you are heading South
- a starting point to explore the desert to the West
- you want to party like nobody's business

But, otherwise, the only ppl that who are speaking up in its defense likely made the very bad decision to invest in property around there.

Just like Rocky Point due East on the mainland, SF is a chit hole. (Side note, San Carlos 3 hours South of RP is infinitely better).

SF is too close to the border, the awful tide, and the flat coastal landscape make it a place anyone with 2 cents should fly through.

[Edited on 6-2-2018 by JZ]

willardguy - 6-1-2018 at 06:53 PM

OP isn't looking for anyone's opinion of san felipe, or photo's of davids car:rolleyes:....just a condo or house for rent for christsakes.

TMW - 6-1-2018 at 07:54 PM

JZ what you say about San Felipe can be said about any number of towns in Baja and Baja Sur. Colonet, El Rosario, LA Bay, Guerrero Negro, they have whale watching, San Ignacio, they have a mission and a beautiful center city plaza, Mulege, They do have a mission too, San Isidro, La Purisima, San Juanico, hot spot for surfers, Loreto, they do have some really nice hotels and a mission or two, Insurgentes, and Constitucion to name a few. But if you like to golf, fish and party there is always Cabo.

JZ - 6-1-2018 at 08:12 PM

Quote: Originally posted by TMW  
JZ what you say about San Felipe can be said about any number of towns in Baja and Baja Sur. Colonet, El Rosario, LA Bay, Guerrero Negro, they have whale watching, San Ignacio, they have a mission and a beautiful center city plaza, Mulege, They do have a mission too, San Isidro, La Purisima, San Juanico, hot spot for surfers, Loreto, they do have some really nice hotels and a mission or two, Insurgentes, and Constitucion to name a few. But if you like to golf, fish and party there is always Cabo.

Naw Tom, why I really hate SF is:

- too close to the border means, too much of a party town and/or desert rat town

- even more is the low lying flat land; crappy for boating and ugly to look at.

All those places you mentioned are much better. San Jaunico is the closest, and it crushes SF.

Get out of here with the Loreto comparison my friend. Loreto and the surrounding area are some of the most beautiful sights in this world. That's were you spend 2 months at.

This is a 15 min boat ride from the harbor.

[Edited on 6-2-2018 by JZ]