BajaNomad

highway 1 and Campo Fischer to Abreojos

BajaBlanca - 5-28-2018 at 05:15 PM

I just came back from San Diego and highway 1 is wonderful!

The only bad spot is the portion they are still fixing at the CataviƱa arroyo.

Not only that but you can count on one hand the potholes between Highway 1 (Campo Fischer) and Punta Abreojos.

Good time to travel folks!

woody with a view - 5-28-2018 at 05:46 PM

Just in time for south swell season!

shari - 5-29-2018 at 08:17 AM

Finally the road is fine again...problem is that people still think it's awful. We were behind someone who dodged all the pothole like they were still open!
Even thought the highway into Bahia Asuncion has been paved for several years now...people still ask me how many miles of washboard there is!
Word spreads like wildfire when conditions are bad but it seems to take years to get the word out when things improve and by that time it will suck again

SFandH - 5-29-2018 at 08:31 AM

Hate to rain on the parade but many patched potholes don't last long, especially with heavy 18 wheelers and bus traffic. I bet the road will be back to normal in short order.

But, even though I've been home only several weeks after 6 months in BCS, maybe I need to make another trip real soon before the holes open up again. :D

AKgringo - 5-29-2018 at 09:13 AM

Speaking of "raining on the parade", it happens so seldom in that area that road construction seems to ignore the principles of drainage, and building a stable road base.

When the rare storms bring a temporary rise in the water table, all of the deficiencies literally come to the surface!

David K - 5-29-2018 at 09:45 AM

Km. 97+ "Campo Fischer" (a long time landmark name), at the junction to Punta Abreojos on Hwy. 1, had a sign last August that read 'Crucero del Pacifico' instead. Let me know if that changed again.

BajaBlanca - 5-30-2018 at 08:41 PM

Crucero del Pacifico is the restaurant at the punta abreojos turnoff but as far as I know, the sign on the main highway reads PUNTA ABREOJOS

we shall be heading to santa rosalia next week and I will dbl check this!

David K - 5-30-2018 at 09:36 PM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Crucero del Pacifico is the restaurant at the punta abreojos turnoff but as far as I know, the sign on the main highway reads PUNTA ABREOJOS

we shall be heading to santa rosalia next week and I will dbl check this!

Yes, it indeed does say Punta Abreojos and the restaurant says Crucero del Pacifico. I was just wondering why you called it 'Campo Fischer' here (as that name doesn't appear anywhere)? I was asking if there was a new sign up since I was last through there. Thank you.

BajaBlanca - 6-1-2018 at 12:31 PM

Oh, I understand the question now!

That area is known to all of us locals as Campo Fischer which is often written as Campo Fisher. There is no sign.

The very first time I came to Baja Sur to meet up with Les, I asked the bus driver to drop me off at Campo Fischer and he knew exactly where I meant.

BajaBlanca - 6-1-2018 at 01:54 PM

Here is a sign for the roadwork - notice that it reads campo fisher to abreojos

4 campo fisher sign.jpg - 120kB

We just redid the ride today since we went to Vizcaino and boy is it ever fun to drive without swerving every 3 seconds due to potholes!

David K - 6-1-2018 at 02:33 PM

Great, thanks for that. Yes, that construction sign was not there when I drove the road last June. Glad they fixed (are fixing) that road, as it was 40 kms. of pure potholes and missing blacktop last summer. The second half of the 84 kilometers was perfect, however! How is the progress on the pavement on to La Bocana, if you know?