BajaNomad

border crossing july 5

Bob and jane - 6-2-2018 at 01:04 PM

Planning on crossing the border (going north) at the Otay Mesa ready lane shortly before noon on July 5. I've googled and googled but can't come up with any statistics on July 4 holiday crossing traffic. I'm thinking traffic might not be too bad since the holiday is mid-week this year. However, if leaving a day later or sooner would save us hours at the border, we might change our plans. Anyone out there have personal info? Or statistics from past years?

Alm - 6-2-2018 at 05:15 PM

11 am in late November - line extending to the East-West street, whatever it's called, all the way to the road leading to Airport. More than an hour. It was 2 days after Thanksgiving, and Saturday, so not the peak time to visit relatives North or return home from holidays.

David K - 6-2-2018 at 06:09 PM

July 5th is mid week this year, so no 3 day weekend lines of us gringos going home.

mtgoat666 - 6-2-2018 at 06:40 PM

Quote: Originally posted by David K  
July 5th is mid week this year, so no 3 day weekend lines of us gringos going home.

Better than a 3 day weekend, make it a 5 day weekend! :light:

Alm - 6-2-2018 at 09:32 PM

Wherever you saw 3 day line, David, I wonder :)

Sadly, Otay Ready line is long most of the time. Hardly any better than regular lines. On that day in November regular line were 4-5 times shorter than Ready, though fewer gates there too, probably was a wash, same +1 hour.

[Edited on 6-3-2018 by Alm]

David K - 6-3-2018 at 07:47 AM

Quote: Originally posted by Alm  
Wherever you saw 3 day line, David, I wonder :)

Sadly, Otay Ready line is long most of the time. Hardly any better than regular lines. On that day in November regular line were 4-5 times shorter than Ready, though fewer gates there too, probably was a wash, same +1 hour.

[Edited on 6-3-2018 by Alm]

A 3-Day line happens on Memorial Day, Labor Day, and other Monday holidays. When Independence Day (4th of July to some of you) falls on a Friday-Monday, then IT becomes a 3-day weekend. It doesn't this year. So, no special reason for excessive borderline traffic. I always recommend Tecate for the northbound border crossing and midday to early afternoon has been great with no line many times.

BornFisher - 6-3-2018 at 07:54 AM

Cross the 4th before 10AM.

wilderone - 6-3-2018 at 10:02 AM

IMO: Since 7/4 is mid week, vacationers are either (1) leaving 6/29, and returning 7/4; (2) leaving 7/4, returning 7/8; or (3) leaving 6/30, returning 7/8. In consideration of the number of choices, and that July in Baja is off-season, and that there are SO many other places to go for 7/4, I don't think crossing into US will be that big of a deal. You can always plan your day to cross at 11:00 pm. I would also recommend Tecate over Otay since Otay has all the trucks.

bajaguy - 6-3-2018 at 10:07 AM

At Otay commercial trucks cross at a separate port than passenger vehicles

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  
IMO: Since 7/4 is mid week, vacationers are either (1) leaving 6/29, and returning 7/4; (2) leaving 7/4, returning 7/8; or (3) leaving 6/30, returning 7/8. In consideration of the number of choices, and that July in Baja is off-season, and that there are SO many other places to go for 7/4, I don't think crossing into US will be that big of a deal. You can always plan your day to cross at 11:00 pm. I would also recommend Tecate over Otay since Otay has all the trucks.

Bob and jane - 6-3-2018 at 01:35 PM

We've been crossing at Otay since we got to know the crossing when we nationalized our truck there 4-5 years ago. Then we got passport cards and now zip through the ready lane. Last year we crossed about 10:30 a.m. on Friday, July 7 and waited only 1/2 hour. One year it did take an hour. Sometimes the regular line looks shorter, but it moves at a snail's pace. The ready lane lines move fairly quickly. Guess we'll just go for it unless we hear something different. We drive from Loreto to San Quintin and then San Quintin to Otay. Easy mid-morning arrival. I think there is a race near Ensenada a few days before the 4th...........? Hoping that won't be an issue either.
Thanks for all the input.

JZ - 6-3-2018 at 02:04 PM

Quote: Originally posted by wilderone  

Great answer.

soylent_green - 6-6-2018 at 08:50 AM

never know. Could be minutes or could be hours. Trucks don't really make a difference to your wait in Otay except for the street traffic. Different line, different entrance.

FOR READY LANE:
1. Get a passport card rushed at a US Passport Agency office (the official office they have around the country, not the Post Office)
https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/passports/require... Tell them you are leaving the country and need it by a certain date and you should get an appointment

2. Or even easier, get the new California enhanced IDs for all in the car - do it today and you go in the READY LANE. https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/pubs/newsrel/2017/2...

Honestly, I have never heard of someone with a just a current US passport getting hassled in the READY lane. Every US passport since 2007 has an RFID chip in it.

Download the CBP border wait app beforehand and check border waits. Sometimes Otay is better, sometimes Tecate is. App is not always updated hourly, and sometimes its off a bit, but better than just going to a crossing blind.

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by soylent_green]

John Harper - 6-6-2018 at 10:01 AM

I heard all borders will be closed on July 4, so we can all stand together and sing the national anthem, with hand on heart. Our Greedy Old Patriot leader will have any citizen not standing during the anthem immediately arrested. Their children will of course be separated from them and incarcerated as well for at least 72 hours, perhaps indefinitely. Summary deportation hearings will follow the ceremony and citizenship will be revoked. MAGA!

John

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by John Harper]

By July 4th ...................

MrBillM - 6-6-2018 at 02:52 PM

El Donald "may" learn the words to the anthem.

But, that's not a given.

Speaking to reporters outside the White House, he forgot the name of Kim Yong Chol literally minutes after their meeting.

And, was confused over whether or not he'd read the physically Biggest diplomatic letter in history from Kim Jong Un.

Whom he'd previously been referring to (incorrectly) as "Mr. Un".

As had his new Secretary of State in congressional hearings.

BajaBlanca - 6-7-2018 at 07:46 AM

Bob and Jane, how was the crossing?

John Harper - 6-7-2018 at 07:53 AM

Quote: Originally posted by BajaBlanca  
Bob and Jane, how was the crossing?

July 5, not June 5.

John

Bob and jane - 6-7-2018 at 07:55 AM

Blanca, I'll report after we cross. It's still June :-). Crossing just after July 4...................
Having fun reading all the posts. Surprised John Harper and MrBillM agree on something.

bajaguy - 6-7-2018 at 08:08 AM

Stuff your political comments or take them to off-topic sewer

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
I heard all borders will be closed on July 4, so we can all stand together and sing the national anthem, with hand on heart. Our Greedy Old Patriot leader will have any citizen not standing during the anthem immediately arrested. Their children will of course be separated from them and incarcerated as well for at least 72 hours, perhaps indefinitely. Summary deportation hearings will follow the ceremony and citizenship will be revoked. MAGA!

John

[Edited on 6-6-2018 by John Harper]

John Harper - 6-7-2018 at 08:49 AM

Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Poor little snowflake has no sense of humor?

John

BajaBlanca - 6-7-2018 at 08:55 AM

hahahaha can you tell I am on a permanent vacation....geeez, can't even get my months straight hahahahaha

BajaMama - 6-12-2018 at 05:07 AM

Blanca, I crossed Otay Sentri lane June 8 and it was longer than usual, lots of cars stuck in the right turn lane off Belle Artes. Traffic officers directed several cars into the right lane which was a disaster - everyone thought we were trying to cheat the line.

BornFisher - 7-4-2018 at 10:01 AM

Got in Otay Ready lane at 8:20 this morning (July 4th). Took 16 minutes to cross.

motoged - 7-4-2018 at 10:08 AM

Quote: Originally posted by John Harper  
Quote: Originally posted by bajaguy  

Poor little snowflake has no sense of humor?

John

:biggrin:

BajaBlanca - 7-4-2018 at 10:33 AM

BajaMama - that certainly does NOT sound like fun.

Bornfisher - that sounds like a record crossing time to me!

[Edited on 7-5-2018 by BajaBlanca]

JoeJustJoe - 7-4-2018 at 10:35 AM

I crossed over to Tijuana, celebrating AMLO victory, and also hoping Mexico's soccer team would beat Brazil, a few days ago. Well, at least Mexico, won the important victory.

When I crossed back over to the US, I tried the San Ysidro - PedWest, border crossing for the first time. I usually, do the old San Ysidro, eastern crossing.

The PedWest, is brand new, and it supposedly goes faster than the old eastern entrance. In the Ready lane, it only took me 10 minutes to cross, while the car line was longer than one hour.

However, I didn't like it, because I had parked over behind the Trolly, and Jack-in-the-Box, and I had to hike about 1/2 mile to my car, over a bridge with a slight hill, and PedWest, has a long ramp you have to walk up.

It's a work out from stepping out of the cab, to PedWest, and then your car, although you can pay $1 dollar for a bus for the 1/2 mile to the trolly area if you want to wait till the bus fills up.

The PedWest, looks very nice, modern, and fast. But up on the wall are portraits of Donald Trump, and Mike Pence. It took all the energy I had to not turn around and go back to Mexico.

BajaMama - 7-5-2018 at 09:06 AM

Baja Blanca - ya it was Friday afternoon - what was I thinking (apparently I was not)? Never again at that time, previous max crossing time was like BornFisher's - 15 minutes or so.